Tuesday 1st February 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 1st February 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 1st Febraury 2022

Post by refitman »

Wouldn't 'giving an interview while drunk' be a sacking offence?

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

Certainly should be.

You may wish to check your work this morning.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Re: Tuesday 1st February 2022

Post by notnowsonny »

Did anyone see the tweets from two of our esteemed ministers who have now fallen to Covid? has the Cabinet hired a ghost writer? I think we should be told!

TRUSS
I tested positive for Covid this evening. Thankfully I’ve had my three jabs and will be working from home while I isolate.

ZAHAWI
Yesterday I tested positive for Covid and will therefore be watching my brilliant colleagues at oral questions today instead. Thankfully I’ve had my three jabs and will be working from home while I isolate.

My italics.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

gilsey wrote: Tue 01 Feb, 2022 10:05 am Good morning.

Certainly should be.

You may wish to check your work this morning.
:roll:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

:D

I saw comments yesterday suggesting that Truss was faking it so as to lie low while the shit's hitting the fan, but I can't see her missing out on a foreign trip if she could avoid it.

Re Dorries interviews yesterday, if you look at the pic at the top of Sparrow's column in the G, she appears to have fallen asleep on the shoulder of the minister beside her, whose name escapes me. So was probably legless all afternoon.
Wonder if they picked that photo for that very reason...
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The thing is, Major's "wisdom tooth operation" in November 1990 set the predecent with these things.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

After a great deal of soul-searching, I have reached the conclusion that the Prime Minister should resign. (1/3)
3:43 pm · 1 Feb 2022·Twitter Web App
Retweets
Quote Tweets
@peter_aldous
·
38m
Replying to
@peter_aldous
It is clear that he has no intention of doing so and I have therefore written to the Chairman of the 1922 Committee of Backbench Conservative MPs, advising him that I have no confidence in the Prime Minister as Leader of the Conservative Party. (2/3) (Politics Live, Guardian)

Sometimes it's not such a good idea to leave the country - as many past leaders of "banana republics" came to realise.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Obviously we are aware of the significant public interest with regard to the prime minister and we would always look to provide what updates we can on him, specifically.

Asked if that meant No 10 would say if Johnson was given a fine, the spokesman said: “Hypothetically, yes.” (Politics Live, Guardian - my bold)
That's an interesting change. Throughout this kerfuffle, refusing to engage in "hypotheticals" has been the ridiculous but consistent response to questions regarding Boris Johnson.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Met Police: Misogyny, racism, bullying, sex harassment discovered

"Disgraceful" misogyny, discrimination, bullying and sexual harassment have been discovered within the ranks of the Met Police by the police watchdog.

Officers were found to have joked about rape and exchanged offensive social media messages, leading to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) to make 15 recommendations. (BBC)

Cressida Dick is strangely absent from the scene although I expect she's very busy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60215575
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

As an aside -

Apologies - I mis-spelled Jimmy Savile's name yesterday. I put two "l"s in.

Speaking of vile, apparently Boris Johnson's about to make a speech over in Ukraine.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Yeah sorry. I know I go a bit off piste as it were, but the current ludicrousness of the world, does make me think that this has a legitimate political point:

LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Do the younger generation understand such things as the world of Bez?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

By contrast:
https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/31/woman-wh ... -16019796/

Woman who identifies as a wolf reveals how day job lets her ‘hunt predators as her prey’
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Tue 01 Feb, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am preparing now for

:tumble

Apologies. I don't like to spoil the fun.

(It's a gift. And/or a curse)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Certain very online left s***posters really should try to make their glee about Johnson's smearing of Starmer over Savile a bit less obvious, just saying like.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 01 Feb, 2022 7:08 pm Certain very online left s***posters really should try to make their glee about Johnson's smearing of Starmer over Savile a bit less obvious, just saying like.
Really AK, who are you talking about ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Don't want to dignify them by going further, really.

But a subtext of theirs is "people could say literally anything about Corbyn and it was fair game" - well no that isn't actually true.

Have people really forgotten the egregious Ben Bradley almost bankrupting himself already?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I haven't seen any of the posts you refer to, but I'm aware of their existence as they also cause a bit of disquiet amongst Conservative MPs.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Stella Creasy's just gone up in my estimation

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

My own, very old fashioned sense, is that oppressed people are oppressed and oppressors tend not to be. Either category is very diverse, and that diversity is different depending on location on the planet and within the socio-economic whatever. And there are lots of areas in between.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I do remember reading Bellow's The Victim during adolescence. Am considering a re-read, given there's a good chance there's something salutary (or its opposite) for today.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... g-movement
This kind of thing is my biggest fear. Society appears to be rapidly falling apart.

We need a campaign for extreme niceness.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... oyable,See
pleasantness
noun [ U ]
UK /ˈplez.ənt.nəs/ US /ˈplez.ənt.nəs/

the quality of being enjoyable, attractive, friendly, or easy to like:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

It gets a bad press, but "nice" is a word I like.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The Other Half believes that English is a tonal language, whereby any word can mean:

a) what it means
b) something at the other end of that spectrum
c) anything in between

Depending on the tone you use.

"nice" clearly falls into this area of consideration; but I'm with PF: What do we want? NICENESS. When do we want it? NOW.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 01 Feb, 2022 7:08 pm Certain very online left s***posters really should try to make their glee about Johnson's smearing of Starmer over Savile a bit less obvious, just saying like.
While scrolling throught the replies to the Reuters Fact Check tweet it was pretty disturbing to see just how many Corbynistas there are who seem happy to roll around in the shit with Johnson cultists and far right conspiracy theorists. Yeah we know you hate Starmer but for fuck's sake sort yourselves out.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

... whiskers on kittens ...
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

If everyone had to be nice to each other the British sense of humour would be destroyed in an instant, I like being a sarcastic piss taking bastard.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And what about all those shows that pretend to be nice, like the Great British Sewing Bee or the Pottery Showdown?

The contestants left after the judges have got rid of one of them all crowd around the loser hugging them and saying how sad they are to see them go but we all know that inside they're thinking, "Ha ha, I'm happy it's you and not me, I can still win this thing, fuck yeah!" It's as fake as an American shop assistant on minimum wage forcing a smile and saying, "Have a nice day" at the end of a 10 hour shift. The yanks have been pretending to be nice to each other for over a century and now look at the state they're in.

I'm all for people not being dicks but I'm afraid niceness is a step too far for me.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 01 Feb, 2022 9:37 pm
While scrolling throught the replies to the Reuters Fact Check tweet it was pretty disturbing to see just how many Corbynistas there are who seem happy to roll around in the shit with Johnson cultists and far right conspiracy theorists. Yeah we know you hate Starmer but for fuck's sake sort yourselves out.
Truly a Molotov-Ribbentrop pact for our times :D
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

As for Nadine being pissed as a fart on Sky and CH4 last night, I loved it, the swaying, the squinting, the aggressive bullshit, a proper northern lass. There was no guile or sly obfuscation, I could almost feel her urge to go to the 'Chinkies' for some chips in curry sauce after stopping in a back alley for a piss behind someone's bin.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Tue 01 Feb, 2022 9:09 pm I do remember reading Bellow's The Victim during adolescence. Am considering a re-read, given there's a good chance there's something salutary (or its opposite) for today.
I've not read The Victim but I did re-read Bellow's Henderson The Rain King late last year and still ended up utterly baffled about whatever the hell point he was trying to make.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 01 Feb, 2022 10:51 pm Truly a Molotov-Ribbentrop pact for our times :D
It's worse than that in its own sad, tragic way. The far left and far right united, not in cynical self interest, but hatred and bitterness.

Hatred for a man who would pass pretty much all of TinyClangers niceness tests.

A bland, harmless totem of centre left politics whose every word, every gesture, every action must be scrutinised for ideological purity and criticised by people who handed Boris Johnson an 80 seat majority and Labour the worst election result since the 1930s.

You'd think that would have shamed them into a period of silence and reflection.

But no, apparently joining the far right in perpetuating debunked smears about a Labour leader is the the way to go.

I don't know if anyone is ever going to read this but this needs to stop. We all know our politics and we all know it's a compromise. I'm tempted to join the Labour Party just to make that fucking point.