Wednesday 26th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 26th November 2014

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:LabourLordsUK ‏@LabourLordsUK · 5 hrs5 hours ago
Even 4 Tory Peers joined with us to ban #paydayloans ads before 9pm watershed but 72 LibDems helped vote it down http://bit.ly/1hMQqLn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lib Dem scum.

I can only assume it is some strange self harm compulsion.

This government is over, why bother defending it?
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

'nite all
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

seeingclearly wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 85725.html

miliband-ally-lord-wood-leads-condemnation-of-daily-express-over-its-definition-of-hidden-migrants
That makes me a hidden migrant for 65+ years, while all along I lived under the delusion that I was British. Funny that. Up to how many generations, I wonder, because by that logic, if you are a hidden migrant then your kids must be doubly hidden. And so on..... Would seven generations be enough? Too much, too little? Does it work the other way? Can English hidden migrants all over the world return? :wall:
For some years I have been tracing my family history. One of my ancestors came over with William the Conqueror [as is true no doubt for many of us]. Does that make me a subterranean, deep cover, double bluff, hidden agentmigrant? It could of course explain my anti authoritarian, rebellious attitude.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Tizme1 wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:

miliband-ally-lord-wood-leads-condemnation-of-daily-express-over-its-definition-of-hidden-migrants
That makes me a hidden migrant for 65+ years, while all along I lived under the delusion that I was British. Funny that. Up to how many generations, I wonder, because by that logic, if you are a hidden migrant then your kids must be doubly hidden. And so on..... Would seven generations be enough? Too much, too little? Does it work the other way? Can English hidden migrants all over the world return? :wall:
For some years I have been tracing my family history. One of my ancestors came over with William the Conqueror [as is true no doubt for many of us]. Does that make me a subterranean, deep cover, double bluff, hidden agentmigrant? It could of course explain my anti authoritarian, rebellious attitude.
It depends on whether you have an elitist sense of entitlement and a surname like Camberon.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rural Labour retweeted
Bryony Worthington @bryworthington · 3h 3 hours ago
In @LabourRoyall 's debate tonight on flood defences Minister confirms flood protection back in list of DEFRA priorities. OPatz had removed.
Yet another U turn - climb down - whatever you like to call them.

Surely this has to be the most incompetent government ever.
Working on the wild side.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

gilsey wrote:Apropos of nothing, a letter to the G.
Ludwig Wittgenstein and the Tractatus of talkative Geordies

“Geordies like to talk … allow at least 10 minutes just to buy a newspaper,” advises Harry Pearson (The UK’s best city: in praise of Newcastle upon Tyne, theguardian.com, 22 November). Wittgenstein worked as a lab assistant in Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary during the war. His Jesmond landlady said he was chatty in the morning, to the annoyance of the other lodgers, but morose in the evenings. From the poem “Geordie Henderson replies to the biographer of Ludwig Wittgenstein” (Mugs Rite, Bay Press, 1996), by the recently late poet, eccentric and bibliophile Mike Wilkin: “Div aa knaa oot more / aboot him? Fella, arl else / aa remember, is that / the only gala time / aa got im near a pint, / knaaing he was a Delphi / Oracle, aa askt him / if the Magpies would ever / climb back to the Shangri-La / of Division One. And he wrote / doon arl magisterially / on a raggy beer mat / (which is clagged-up / in wor netty yet!) / “Whereof one cannot spowt / Thereof one must say nowt.”
Joan Hewitt (@TurkishBathsNCL)
Tynemouth
Class!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Re. Migrant children - I'm one of them. Me Mam was a Kraut, Dad a Geordie (and that's a whole other continent) and I live with a Welsh bloke.
Nige can deport me any old time he likes. Any Greek island he fancies.

Re. Osborne - I am actually quite worried about him. No sympathy for coke/Bullingdon crap and hate what he's done. But he does look poorly.
If it's the white stuff again, we'll never find out anyway.
The thing is - who would replace him if he disappeared for a while? Hammond? Can't think of anyone else.
Maybe he's just bricking it because he's got to deliver his (winter) autumn statement.

I've just been watching the Killing Fields. I've never seen it all the way through before, just fantastic. I know the bloke who wrote the screenplay and thought I'd see if it was as brilliant as everyone says it is. It is. I won't tell him, mind. He'll get ideas.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

seeingclearly wrote:

"Bloody Beaker People, comin' over here with their beakers, what's wrong wiv cuppin' yer 'ands?"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tizme1 wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:

Nah, French Commie immigrant coming over here, eating our chips and forcing us to use metric.

Back off Brussels - Mustard is yellow not brown.

I bet you even LIKE garlic.

(With apologies to Al Murray for stealing his mustard joke).

I did try to find an anti French rant from Al's pub landlord, but all I could find was this wonderful rant about England from Julia Sawalha's excellent Australian bar maid to a clientele that are so UKIP they didn't know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuIceaokABA&sns=em
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ephemerid wrote:Re. Migrant children - I'm one of them. Me Mam was a Kraut, Dad a Geordie (and that's a whole other continent) and I live with a Welsh bloke.

Re. Osborne - I am actually quite worried about him. No sympathy for coke/Bullingdon crap and hate what he's done. But he does look poorly.
The thing is - who would replace him if he disappeared for a while? Hammond? Can't think of anyone else.
Maybe he's just bricking it because he's got to deliver his (winter) autumn statement.

I've just been watching the Killing Fields. I've never seen it all the way through before, just fantastic. I know the bloke who wrote the screenplay and thought I'd see if it was as brilliant as everyone says it is. It is. I won't tell him, mind. He'll get ideas.
While I would not advocate anybody doing him harm, or even wish him to be ill, I don't care enough to manage worrying about his health.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

seeingclearly wrote:

Ever since I heard this story earlier I just can't help but think back to the Nuremberg Laws of 1935 where the Nazis started classifying their population into who was and wasn't a German based on how many of their parents and grandparents were Jewish.

The rhetoric coming from certain quarters about anyone and anything deemed to be 'foreign' is disturbing but not quite as disturbing as the fact that they feel so free to voice this venomous garbage openly and without fear of repercussion.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:LabourLordsUK ‏@LabourLordsUK · 5 hrs5 hours ago
Even 4 Tory Peers joined with us to ban #paydayloans ads before 9pm watershed but 72 LibDems helped vote it down http://bit.ly/1hMQqLn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lib Dem scum.

I can only assume it is some strange self harm compulsion.

This government is over, why bother defending it?
We only get the one life. Some people live a lot more years than others but the fact remains it's just the one lifetime. I should think this reality would remind even those members in the House of Lords it's not okay to take so much when others have so little. Shameful.

Good-night, my friends. I love you.

xx
JA
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

By the way on the subject of The Pub Landlord, I really think we need to hear a rant by him, or anybody about all this Black Friday bollocks.

Retailers so desperate to sell useless crap they have forgotten which continent they are on.

Back off Washington - And take your dollar filled fanny packs with you.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
seeingclearly wrote: That makes me a hidden migrant for 65+ years, while all along I lived under the delusion that I was British. Funny that. Up to how many generations, I wonder, because by that logic, if you are a hidden migrant then your kids must be doubly hidden. And so on..... Would seven generations be enough? Too much, too little? Does it work the other way? Can English hidden migrants all over the world return? :wall:
Nah, French Commie immigrant coming over here, eating our chips and forcing us to use metric.

Back off Brussels - Mustard is yellow not brown.

I bet you even LIKE garlic.

(With apologies to Al Murray for stealing his mustard joke).

I did try to find an anti French rant from Al's pub landlord, but all I could find was this wonderful rant about England from Julia Sawalha's excellent Australian bar maid to a clientele that are so UKIP they didn't know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuIceaokABA&sns=em
The best joke from Time Gentlemen Please was the one were he's angry that his wife had run off with a French bloke, who later turned up at his pub and declared in disgust that she'd run off... with a GERMAN!

To which the Pub Landlord immediately responds "All hostilities are postponed, as per the usual arrangement, in face of the common enemy."
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Yes, the above is a particular favourite, but I also like the bit when the bar maid caught him wearing a beret, striped shirt, garlic necklace, drinking wine and listening to jazz.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Aha, perhaps there is some connection between events at PMQs and this.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... 0kg-seized
Release the Guardvarks.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Aha, perhaps there is some connection between events at PMQs and this.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... 0kg-seized
Personally I think we should express the utmost gratitude that our Chancellor of the Exchequer is willing to take the trouble to check out this stuff. Biddi biddi biddi - what a guy!
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ephemerid wrote:Re. Migrant children - I'm one of them. Me Mam was a Kraut, Dad a Geordie (and that's a whole other continent) and I live with a Welsh bloke.

A Greek island sounds bloody marvellous, I'll take one too. We could swap views when the fancy takes us. The more the merrier. It's a bit parkie here tonight, couldn't they get a move on.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:For a bit of culture, William Gibson on how he wrote Neuromancer.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/n ... -book-club

Different times, which oddly look quite a lot like he predicted.
Excellent book – thanks for reminding me of it – and an excellent writer. Gibson was very generous in giving his permission for the writers of The Matrix to set their stories in his world. He comes across as a lovely person, too.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ephemerid wrote:I am actually quite concerned about the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

I've just seen a video of him at PMQs today, and he looks absolutely dreadful.

I can't work out if he looks ill or drugged. Which are pretty much the same sort of thing, really, in effect.

Much as I dislike him, my professional eye was drawn to him today as he really looked awful - and much as I dislike him, I hope he's not ill.
He's lost a scary amount of weight, too.

If he's been playing with the Bolivian marching powder again then I'm considerably less sympathetic.
He has been, famously, following the 5-2 diet for some time (5 days eating normally, 2 days fasting on 500 kcals maximum) and following a rigourous exercise programme. it has certainly resulted in him losing a lot of weight. It is possible that he has overdone that and has become run-down – or picked up a bug, somewhere. I certainly wouldn't laugh hard if he has taken ill. But it is also fairly likely that he had spent a sleepless night following Ms. Rowe's promises to release more pictures. We can all laugh hard when politicians' former (maybe continuing) habits catch up with them – especially when their policies have inflicted such misery upon vast swathes of the population – but we can also sympathise with illness, even if it is 'self-inflicted.' Mind you, I've lived in some glass houses so perhaps I shouldn't throw very large stones if he is back to his (alleged) old ways. A couple of handfuls of gravel, perhaps?

(And I know that saying alleged makes no real difference ;) )
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

adam wrote:I seem to have the proper poorly version of whatever Osbourne has given himself, I need some honey and lemon and I'm out of lemons. I'm not sure which of you is closest but if someone could pop round with a couple that would be lovely. *sniff*
No lemons. Would limes do? I prescribe snuggling up with a hot-water-bottle, a favourite book from childhood, and boiled egg with soldiers. Get well soon. :hug:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

LadyCentauria wrote:
adam wrote:I seem to have the proper poorly version of whatever Osbourne has given himself, I need some honey and lemon and I'm out of lemons. I'm not sure which of you is closest but if someone could pop round with a couple that would be lovely. *sniff*
No lemons. Would limes do? I prescribe snuggling up with a hot-water-bottle, a favourite book from childhood, and boiled egg with soldiers. Get well soon. :hug:
And, of course, finding somebody to sing "Soft Kitty" to you! Get well soon.

[youtube]pm-gFXdmqik[/youtube]
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.