Wednesday 26th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 26th November 2014

Post by pk1 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This is very important. Cameron said this (more or less) twice at PMQs - it's clearly their strategy to try and move the debate away from the NHS and onto the economy.
If you cannot run the economy, you cannot run the NHS.
which could backfire couldn't it?
It begs the question:

Why is the NHS in such difficulty if the economy is such great shape ?
Last edited by pk1 on Wed 26 Nov, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

pk1 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:This is very important. Cameron said this (more or less) twice at PMQs - it's clearly their strategy to try and move the debate away from the NHS and onto the economy.
It begs the question:

Why is the NHS in such difficulty if the economy is such great shape ?
Exactly!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From Martha Kearney's preamble to WATO ... something like ... 'and we'll be discussing what David Cameron might announce in his important immigration speech this week ....'

Cue almighty shout from Mr Riots (had his head partially in the Rayburn putting logs on at the time) 'that he's bloody emigrating I hope'.
Working on the wild side.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

RobertSnozers wrote:I see Quentin Letts has written in the Daily Mail today a piece entitled 'Who do they think they are? First Labour's sneering Emily. Now Mellor. How much more proof do we need that the smug elite despise us?'

The same Letts who branded former Speaker Michael Martin 'Gorbals Mick'? That Letts?
Poor old Quentin, he really doesn't get irony does he?

In other news, apparently Gideon was looking pretty rough during PMQs today; maybe he has heard some bad news ........ :line: :whip:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sirajdatoo/geor ... d-hungover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RobertSnozers wrote:I see Quentin Letts has written in the Daily Mail today a piece entitled 'Who do they think they are? First Labour's sneering Emily. Now Mellor. How much more proof do we need that the smug elite despise us?'

The same Letts who branded former Speaker Michael Martin 'Gorbals Mick'? That Letts?
Would that be the Haileybury educated Quentin Letts, possibly?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jon Trickett ‏@jon_trickett 27m27 minutes ago
Do the Media fear their grip on mass communications is failing? http://labourlist.org/2014/11/do-the-me ... s-failing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #CameronMustGo
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Didn't watch PMQs, I would probably put my head in a vice the way I feel today, if I did, but Christ, read Fat Dave's response to Jamie Reed and his quip, a good one, about white vans. Three paras from the end.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... -about-nhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worst PM ever.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

In other news, apparently Gideon was looking pretty rough during PMQs today; maybe he has heard some bad news ........ :line: :whip:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sirajdatoo/geor ... d-hungover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uh oh. I just made that point in a tweet to Peter Jukes and he retweeted it. I'm now watching it cascade across Twitter. I'll probably be blacklisted by the end of the day.
He does look dreadful in those pics. Somehow I have little or no sympathy. Should something blow up in his face pre election ... it will be on a par for me with his being booed at the Paralympics.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

'Kidnapped boy may have been abused and murdered by VIP paedophile ring,' say police

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 83509.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

stellacreasy retweeted
Tony McNulty ‏@Tony_McNulty 48m48 minutes ago
Great to see an MP thinking on their feet, remembering that it's about the politics and giving it back to the PM - well done Jamie Reed MP
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

When I looked at that LabourList article by John Trickett, every single comment underneath it was a troll comment. I complained to them some time ago about their infestation downstairs and had a reply this morning. They say they are looking at introducing a properly monitored comments section some time in the future. At least there is nothing looming on the horizon that might cause them to hurry up or anything...
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

It's a bit desperate, isn't it? What's he trying to say, one global economic downturn and it's curtains for the NHS? I don't remember a slowing economy spelling doom for healthcare in the past and that's where it falls down a bit, because we've had downturns before, yet the NHS is still here.

As you say, could be a rocky strategy if economic indicators continue to go south. Not to mention the fact that most people know in their heart of hearts that the only way to secure the future of the NHS is to raise taxes and the Tories have just promised unfunded cuts. Cameron's probably better off wooing white van man with flattery rather than political argument, as he's a bit pants at the latter.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

tom_watson retweeted
Martin Hickman ‏@martin_hickman 56m56 minutes ago
Court told the Sun has "enormous" 7ft high safe stuffed with unpublished "photographs, videos, reports" of MPs, celebrities and royals.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

I think it might have more to do with this, and up all night wondering how to spin it:
http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... iness-live
Economists fear that the UK economy remains dangerously unbalanced after the second estimate of UK growth in the third quarter of 2014 was released, showing businesses cut their investments and exports fell.

The ONS found that business investment fell by 0.8% during the quarter, signalling that firms cut back on spending. And exports declined by 0.4%, which means the trade gap widened again.

Instead, it was consumer spending (up 0.8%) and government expenditure (up 1.1%) that drove growth.

Stephen Lewis, chief economist at ADM Investor Services, warns:
These trends could not extend far without putting the UK economy in jeopardy.
Lewis warns that growth will probably “subside” over the next few quarters.
The drop in exports suggests Britain is already feeling the impact of the slowdown in Europe. Mark Miller, UK analyst at the Economist Intelligence Unit, warned that the weak eurozone economy means the UK will struggle to improve its position.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
tom_watson retweeted
Martin Hickman ‏@martin_hickman 56m56 minutes ago
Court told the Sun has "enormous" 7ft high safe stuffed with unpublished "photographs, videos, reports" of MPs, celebrities and royals.

A person with a cynical mind could see the possibility of political corruption or blackmail if that's true.

Good job the Sun isn't owned by someone wanting political favours to help his empire isn't it ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Rebecca wrote:Hey,my car passed its mot again.Almost 10 years old and never failed yet.Bit shocked really.
:rock:

I thought of you this morning & had hoped everything went well for you.

xx
JA
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

@RO'T

Thanks for posting the Nick Drake vid last night, I did enjoy.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

mikems wrote:When I looked at that LabourList article by John Trickett, every single comment underneath it was a troll comment. I complained to them some time ago about their infestation downstairs and had a reply this morning. They say they are looking at introducing a properly monitored comments section some time in the future. At least there is nothing looming on the horizon that might cause them to hurry up or anything...
Certainly some familiar sounding 'voices' there.
RR2 wrote:Should something blow up in his face pre election ...
I don't think Blow was the problem .... oh, wait, see what you mean. ;)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Not sure what a GIF is, but someone's made one of Osborne in the House today.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He does look most odd.
Maybe contemplating sleeping in the spare room for the duration if Rowe publishes more pics ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

These people have serious projection issues - I've never seen the like. Not even in fiction or films.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Not sure what a GIF is, but someone's made one of Osborne in the House today.

He does look most odd.
Maybe contemplating sleeping in the spare room for the duration if Rowe publishes more pics ?
Graphics Interchange Format
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Is George okay? Dissipated & wrung out - he looks ill.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:Is George okay? Dissipated & wrung out - he looks ill.
He might have read Simon Wren-Lewis today.

http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... borne.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

mikems wrote:When I looked at that LabourList article by John Trickett, every single comment underneath it was a troll comment. I complained to them some time ago about their infestation downstairs and had a reply this morning. They say they are looking at introducing a properly monitored comments section some time in the future. At least there is nothing looming on the horizon that might cause them to hurry up or anything...
Yes, Mikems, I've noted that too. I'm sorry for it - I've wanted to post about articles above the line. What gets written more times than not is a barrage of nonsense best ignored. There's a tipping point on a thread though - when too many are posting for disruption purposes, others can't find a plot, a conversation worth having. It closes discussion down.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:Not sure what a GIF is, but someone's made one of Osborne in the House today.

He does look most odd.
Looks odd?
He looks like he needs to go home and sleep it off.If I had gone to work looking like that I think I would have been sacked.This is the bloody chancellor of the uk.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Image
Shit.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Judging by the amount of hysteria at Telegraph Towers, I reckon Tristram Hunt is on to something, Slap head is the latest to start squealing, excellent.

Not so long ago, my post would arrive just after 9.30, three items just popped through the letterbox, time, 14.23, and this is supposed to be progress.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Greg Ó Ceallaigh ‏@gregoceallaigh 2h2 hours ago
Committee with oversight of MI5 says terrorist attack was not a failing of MI5, but of an organisation that exists to distribute cat photos.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Judging by the amount of hysteria at Telegraph Towers, I reckon Tristram Hunt is on to something, Slap head is the latest to start squealing, excellent.

Not so long ago, my post would arrive just after 9.30, three items just popped through the letterbox, time, 14.23, and this is supposed to be progress.
The only valid point he made in that article was
I'm not sure what to make of Tristram Hunt's most recent policy proposal.
He should have stopped at that point and saved his blushes.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Judging by the amount of hysteria at Telegraph Towers, I reckon Tristram Hunt is on to something, Slap head is the latest to start squealing, excellent.

Your pal Charlotte Vere-Leslie was telling us they do all this good stuff already.

Can't be much of a burden then, can it?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Alex Andreou has just started tweeting #Osbornemustbeurinetested.

Get trending folks!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
But Mr Farage, whose wife is German, tweeted his own concerns that “84 per cent of population growth between 2001 and 2012 – or 3.8 million – was due to migration” – if you include children born here in the statistics.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 84841.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Plot - lost
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Greg Ó Ceallaigh ‏@gregoceallaigh 2h2 hours ago
Committee with oversight of MI5 says terrorist attack was not a failing of MI5, but of an organisation that exists to distribute cat photos.
A former director of MI5 or 6 was on Today rubbishing the idea that Facebook should be held responsible for this.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Westminister Hall Debate re PIP for those interested(from 14.30)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 5h0002.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Martin Rowson ‏@MartinRowson · 7m7 minutes ago
@sturdyAlex Ok children, let's see if we can get #OsborneMustBeSectioned trending. By the look of him could finish him off...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Is George Osborne the new Brian Cowen?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11295462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

Hi,Sorry to butt in but I noticed yesterday someone on the telegraph said that when asked Angelina Jolie replied she wouldn't like it. I watched the interview on BBC and the interviewer made a point of asking her would she live over here if Labour introduce the mansion tax,she replied she had lived here before and loved it and the tax wouldn't stop her from buying over here.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

#BBCtrending: How did one political hashtag dominate the week in Britain?
A political slogan calling for the ousting of the Prime Minister David Cameron has been shared on Twitter more than 400,000 times in five days. How did that happen?

It started when two ardent Labour Party supporters got talking on Twitter, and came up with a plan to try to get everyone else talking too. Users called "Gail" and "Jon Swindon" urged their followers - 5,000 in all - to join them tweeting #CameronMustGo, stating their reasons why, on Saturday 22 November at 6pm. Five days later, the slogan's been tweeted more than 400,000 times and today is the top UK trend on Twitter. Users with many followers, such as musician Brian May and former Labour Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott, have used the hashtag.

"It's not about forcing Cameron to resign," Gail, 33, told BBC Trending. She didn't want to give the BBC her full name but describes herself as a "lefty person of Northern origin" on Twitter. Rather, she says, it's about enabling people to talk about their views and experiences. "We know a lot of people who are frustrated with politics and they feel they don't have a voice. Social media is our space."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-30207547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's more - good coverage
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

JustMom wrote:Hi,Sorry to butt in but I noticed yesterday someone on the telegraph said that when asked Angelina Jolie replied she wouldn't like it. I watched the interview on BBC and the interviewer made a point of asking her would she live over here if Labour introduce the mansion tax,she replied she had lived here before and loved it and the tax wouldn't stop her from buying over here.
Great to see you back :) Thanks for that, I had the impression she had said the tax would stop her living in uk - don't ya just love our press ? gerrrr
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Alex Andreou has just started tweeting #Osbornemustbeurinetested.

Get trending folks!
Yes!
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

AngryAsWell wrote:
JustMom wrote:Hi,Sorry to butt in but I noticed yesterday someone on the telegraph said that when asked Angelina Jolie replied she wouldn't like it. I watched the interview on BBC and the interviewer made a point of asking her would she live over here if Labour introduce the mansion tax,she replied she had lived here before and loved it and the tax wouldn't stop her from buying over here.
Great to see you back :) Thanks for that, I had the impression she had said the tax would stop her living in uk - don't ya just love our press ? gerrrr

Thanks angry,although I never went anywhere,I keep getting logged out so I lurk most of the time.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just had two teeth extracted side by side. Bloody hell. I have extra long thick roots, the dentist is a tiny little thing, and I thought she was going to pull my head off.
Due of the length of the roots, they have to cut the tops off to install crowns, so I elected to have them pulled. I am so brave!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Alex Andreou has just started tweeting #Osbornemustbeurinetested.

Get trending folks!
Yes!
Mmm. I must get thinking. Difficult to be subtle on a subject like this...... 8-)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:Just had two teeth extracted side by side. Bloody hell. I have extra long thick roots, the dentist is a tiny little thing, and I thought she was going to pull my head off.
Due of the length of the roots, they have to cut the tops off to install crowns, so I elected to have them pulled. I am so brave!
Poor you.I hate the dentist and only go when there is absolutely no alternative.
To cheer yourself up look at #Osbornemustbeurinetested
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/do-the-me ... s-failing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BTL is a troll fest

"The media and the Tories can underestimate social media at their peril.
To paraphrase Bob Dylan:

Come all the rich and the powerful throughout the land

don’t criticise what you can’t understand

Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command

And the old order is rapidly changing

For the times they are changing.

The Internet and the twittersphere are raucous, unruly, and insurgent, and they are profoundly egalitarian and democratic.

If I represented the old order, as the Tories and their friends clearly do, I would be quaking in my boots."
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

The BBC's 'expert' talking predictable bilge...
So could this be the beginning of a new phase of British 'hashtag politics'? No, according to Andrew Walker, co-founder of social media analytics company, Tweetminster. "I give it two weeks," he tells BBC Trending.
So the aim is to keep the hashtag at the top forever? Only to the 'expert'.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

George Osborne just prior assimilation.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

In contrast to the BTL comments on the LL article about #cameronmust go the BLT comments about the same topic in the Telegraph really surprised me :o
CameronMustGo: How worried should David Cameron be about Twitter bullies?
A Twitter hashtag, #CameronMustGo, has been trending for five days on the site with more than 300,000 interactions around it. Radhika Sanghani shines a light on the campaign's sinister side

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... on-be.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AngryAsWell wrote:In contrast to the BTL comments on the LL article about #cameronmust go the BLT comments about the same topic in the Telegraph really surprised me :o
CameronMustGo: How worried should David Cameron be about Twitter bullies?
A Twitter hashtag, #CameronMustGo, has been trending for five days on the site with more than 300,000 interactions around it. Radhika Sanghani shines a light on the campaign's sinister side

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... on-be.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What the hell is an authentic hashtag? Perhaps I should sign up and ask Toady or Mensch.