Wednesday 26th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Re: Wednesday 26th November 2014

Post by Spacedone »

diGriz wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:That article in the Torygraph about Twitter is indeed risible, and I was delighted to see the DT getting an absolute shoeing BTL as parochial, small minded, out of touch (where've I heard that before?) and producing badly researched, badly written tosh to suit the Barclay brothers (and nobody else, I'd wager).

The BTL comments nail it so well that it almost justifies the pile of shit ATL to vocalise all the reasons why the Tories need binning, why Cameron is a truly shit PM and how people are suffering out there because of his and George's fetish for austerity and pain. In George's case, his fetishes apparently run somewhat further, but I'll let Ms. Rowe deal with that....
The media know folk aren't happy with them but they really are pushing the limits of what they can get away with. And they do seem to really fear social media. Twitter is an incredibly powerful tool.
We've had the 4 days of trying to ignore us and hope we'll go away. Now it looks like the media are on to the dismissive stage where they'll be taking a few of the more obviously offensive tweets and trying to paint the whole thing as if those few tweets are representative.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson retweeted
Lord Ashcroft @LordAshcroft · 35m 35 minutes ago
Released tomorrow polling in Doncaster North showing UKIP 2nd so if Tories tactically vote for UKIP Miliband loses #votetorygetlabour!
:fire:
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I have a dream: that white van man and black cab man can live together in harmony
http://tompride.wordpress.com/
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

If any of you used the #CameronMustGo hashtag you'll be pleased to hear you have earned a badge.
Attachments
B3Y4lXDCYAA2hQD.jpg
B3Y4lXDCYAA2hQD.jpg (38.82 KiB) Viewed 14532 times
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mike Smithson retweeted
Released tomorrow polling in Doncaster North showing UKIP 2nd so if Tories tactically vote for UKIP Miliband loses #votetorygetlabour!
As I've Tweeted on our behalf, that assumes that all Tory tactical voting would go to UKIP.

In fact there have been lots of anecdotal reports of Tory voters switching to Labour to stop UKIP. Much as I detest the Tories, it's not fair to assume that their voters are all rabid right wingers. Which is Cameron's problem of course.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Operation Disabled Vote: Millions who suffer from disability have power to change politics
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/op ... ho-4694652
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mike Smithson retweeted
As I've Tweeted on our behalf, that assumes that all Tory tactical voting would go to UKIP.

In fact there have been lots of anecdotal reports of Tory voters switching to Labour to stop UKIP. Much as I detest the Tories, it's not fair to assume that their voters are all rabid right wingers. Which is Cameron's problem of course.
Yes, there must be some who still want to hug huskies, stop fracking underneath their homes, their loved ones from being stitched up by ATOS and keep the NHS public. I certainly hope so anyway.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Spacedone wrote:
diGriz wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:That article in the Torygraph about Twitter is indeed risible, and I was delighted to see the DT getting an absolute shoeing BTL as parochial, small minded, out of touch (where've I heard that before?) and producing badly researched, badly written tosh to suit the Barclay brothers (and nobody else, I'd wager).

The BTL comments nail it so well that it almost justifies the pile of shit ATL to vocalise all the reasons why the Tories need binning, why Cameron is a truly shit PM and how people are suffering out there because of his and George's fetish for austerity and pain. In George's case, his fetishes apparently run somewhat further, but I'll let Ms. Rowe deal with that....
The media know folk aren't happy with them but they really are pushing the limits of what they can get away with. And they do seem to really fear social media. Twitter is an incredibly powerful tool.
We've had the 4 days of trying to ignore us and hope we'll go away. Now it looks like the media are on to the dismissive stage where they'll be taking a few of the more obviously offensive tweets and trying to paint the whole thing as if those few tweets are representative.
Trending on Twitter is a better headline than any they can manage. People pay more attention to that than a hundred badly written, self serving articles. Expect a managed response.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Before some people get too excited, Labour scored over 47% in Doncaster N even in 2010 - and that was before Ed got any "leader boost".
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mike Smithson retweeted
But is that not true of any vote anywhere in the country? If all Labour voters voted UKIP in Cameron's constituency surely the Cameron would lose.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

For a bit of culture, William Gibson on how he wrote Neuromancer.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/n ... -book-club

Different times, which oddly look quite a lot like he predicted.
Release the Guardvarks.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

That nice Mr.Dilnot's been writing his letters again, love him.

Full Fact asked the UKSA to clarify how certain types of expenditure should be presented to the public. Sir Andrew wrote back, describing how the original Osborne plan in 2012 to send letters about how their tax was spent included a more detailed breakdown of categories.

The letters sent out are not like that, as we know. There were a few criticisms in Dilnot's response - which was copied to David Gauke.
Story in the Indy.

Poor old Gidiot. Ticked off by the IFS, and now the UKSA. Not going well, is it?
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

http://labourlist.org/2014/11/labour-wi ... of-london/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour would ask all departments to draw up plans to move some civil service jobs out of London, makes sense, if you really want to be brave Ed move parliament too, yeah I know, way too big an ask.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

diGriz wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mike Smithson retweeted
But is that not true of any vote anywhere in the country? If all Labour voters voted UKIP in Cameron's constituency surely the Cameron would lose.
Well no it isn't true if you score well over half the vote, as Cameron did last time and (let's face it) very likely will next May.

Just being in second is meaningless in itself - the SDP/Libs had zillions of runners up spots in 1983/7, but most didn't mean doodley squat.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I have a dream: that white van man and black cab man can live together in harmony
http://tompride.wordpress.com/
They go hiking a lot together too.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Holy Hannah! I've just seen that Gideon Osborne clip and whilst I'm no expert about drugs, the last time I saw a guy that pilled out of it, it was Brian Jones in the Rolling Stones' Rock'n'Roll Xmas, and he was dead within a week. A three-month old baby would take one look at that and ask 'what's he on?'
The truth ferret speaks!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ephemerid wrote:That nice Mr.Dilnot's been writing his letters again, love him.

Full Fact asked the UKSA to clarify how certain types of expenditure should be presented to the public. Sir Andrew wrote back, describing how the original Osborne plan in 2012 to send letters about how their tax was spent included a more detailed breakdown of categories.

The letters sent out are not like that, as we know. There were a few criticisms in Dilnot's response - which was copied to David Gauke.
Story in the Indy.

Poor old Gidiot. Ticked off by the IFS, and now the UKSA. Not going well, is it?
Poor lamb. With all these complaints he must be getting snowed under .......

Has anybody seen my coat? :)
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:http://labourlist.org/2014/11/labour-wi ... of-london/

Labour would ask all departments to draw up plans to move some civil service jobs out of London, makes sense, if you really want to be brave Ed move parliament too, yeah I know, way too big an ask.
This had happened to some extent prior to 2010 and when the Tories got in they gleefully exploited the fact that all those jobs were relocated to Labour-voting areas (simply because they moved from London to other cities) to sack tens of thousands of people without it really being noticed by the public living in their own constituencies. Suddenly having thousands of people dumped into unemployment was certainly noticed around here though.

As for Parliament... aren't they going to have to shut it down for several years for repair work? Perfect opportunity really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19386492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I am actually quite concerned about the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

I've just seen a video of him at PMQs today, and he looks absolutely dreadful.

I can't work out if he looks ill or drugged. Which are pretty much the same sort of thing, really, in effect.

Much as I dislike him, my professional eye was drawn to him today as he really looked awful - and much as I dislike him, I hope he's not ill.
He's lost a scary amount of weight, too.

If he's been playing with the Bolivian marching powder again then I'm considerably less sympathetic.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: :fire:

Yes, there must be some who still want to hug huskies, stop fracking underneath their homes, their loved ones from being stitched up by ATOS and keep the NHS public. I certainly hope so anyway.
There are indeed. Some Tories have come over to the Greens - a fact I find a bit disconcerting. What will they make of our 'social polices'?

I have lived here for the best part of 30 years and its always been a marginal seat. I'm used to calculating how the tactical vote will go. But I'm finding it really hard to work out all the permutations now just in Watford, let alone anywhere else. Still, the news on the marginal seats is looking promising for anyone who wants to see the back of this government.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Tizme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: As I've Tweeted on our behalf, that assumes that all Tory tactical voting would go to UKIP.

There are indeed. Some Tories have come over to the Greens - a fact I find a bit disconcerting. What will they make of our 'social polices'?

I have lived here for the best part of 30 years and its always been a marginal seat. I'm used to calculating how the tactical vote will go. But I'm finding it really hard to work out all the permutations now just in Watford, let alone anywhere else. Still, the news on the marginal seats is looking promising for anyone who wants to see the back of this government.
Not sure why you find converting tories disconcerting,as they are either in agreement with Green social policies or not interested enough to find out.
Is there a particular type of voter preferred?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:I am actually quite concerned about the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

I can't work out if he looks ill or drugged. Which are pretty much the same sort of thing, really, in effect.

Much as I dislike him, my professional eye was drawn to him today as he really looked awful - and much as I dislike him, I hope he's not ill.

If he's been playing with the Bolivian marching powder again then I'm considerably less sympathetic.
I felt the same way, Ephemerid when I had a look at him. He's breaking himself, I think.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Rebecca wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Yes, there must be some who still want to hug huskies, stop fracking underneath their homes, their loved ones from being stitched up by ATOS and keep the NHS public. I certainly hope so anyway.

Not sure why you find converting tories disconcerting,as they are either in agreement with Green social policies or not interested enough to find out.
Is there a particular type of voter preferred?
No of course not. A vote is a vote. But, I'm talking about Tory voters joining the Greens and I find it odd because our social policies are so different to Tory policies. Though maybe they feel so strongly over the environmental issues they accept the social policies. Of course it would be lovely to think they'd switched because of both our environmental and social policies.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

UKIP Mistake Cathedral For Mosque
http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/ukip/ukip ... osque-4140" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ephemerid wrote:That nice Mr.Dilnot's been writing his letters again, love him.

Story in the Indy.

As well as the PM's pension being put into welfare, it seems that fire safety is in crime and justice.

Just in case you didn't think too much went on chavs.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Most of us have far more in common with each other than we have differences.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:Most of us have far more in common with each other than we have differences.
Yes, but arguably at a DNA level that is also true of us and cabbage.
Release the Guardvarks.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Apropos of nothing, a letter to the G.
Ludwig Wittgenstein and the Tractatus of talkative Geordies

“Geordies like to talk … allow at least 10 minutes just to buy a newspaper,” advises Harry Pearson (The UK’s best city: in praise of Newcastle upon Tyne, theguardian.com, 22 November). Wittgenstein worked as a lab assistant in Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary during the war. His Jesmond landlady said he was chatty in the morning, to the annoyance of the other lodgers, but morose in the evenings. From the poem “Geordie Henderson replies to the biographer of Ludwig Wittgenstein” (Mugs Rite, Bay Press, 1996), by the recently late poet, eccentric and bibliophile Mike Wilkin: “Div aa knaa oot more / aboot him? Fella, arl else / aa remember, is that / the only gala time / aa got im near a pint, / knaaing he was a Delphi / Oracle, aa askt him / if the Magpies would ever / climb back to the Shangri-La / of Division One. And he wrote / doon arl magisterially / on a raggy beer mat / (which is clagged-up / in wor netty yet!) / “Whereof one cannot spowt / Thereof one must say nowt.”
Joan Hewitt (@TurkishBathsNCL)
Tynemouth
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Most of us have far more in common with each other than we have differences.
I knew you'd bring up cabbage. Isn't that just your way. Cabbage. It's impossible to argue with cabbage.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Good comments btl on the telegraph piece re twitter,though well done telegraph.I imagine that 90% of those comments would have been deleted in the guardian.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

citizenJA wrote:
ephemerid wrote:I am actually quite concerned about the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

I felt the same way, Ephemerid when I had a look at him. He's breaking himself, I think.
Hi, I've been drawn in, rather late today, by the observations re: Osbourne. Not sure whether it was before his last budget speech or the last autumn statement that he had a less noticeable version of todays problem. It was largely masked by Cameron holding forth, but he was very out of it, came round about twenty minutes or half an hour into watching him with a sort of jerk into reality and started laughing along with the rest of those on his side. It was quite unnerving to watch, and I remember thinking if it took that much for him to be able to perform his public role, what the heck is he like underneath.

He really looks very unwell in today's clip which is very short, and whatever the cause, should not have been there if he is ill. He's not coping at all well, is how I read it then and now. I wonder whether he really has an appetite for it all.

I mean, he is the Chancellor and all that stuff, but I can't think of an attributable quote you could put to his name, or even find a sense that he is actively engaged or enjoys what he does, the others all seem to relish what they do. He makes announcements and there's all these reports of what he's done, but how much is his direct input. Remembering the Thatcher thing, and wondering a lot about his state of mind. And wondering how the whole Bullingdon thing played out for him, and whether it still does.

If I've mused too far please feel free to delete. Though it's probably a whole lot less than has. Been said about Ed, and tbh it's not good seeing anyone looking that ill and with some kind of pressure on to demolish his opponents.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I'm completely loving the #ThingsThatAreNotMosques hashtag, after UKIP mistook a cathedral for a mosque :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 22.29.20.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 22.29.20.png (200.95 KiB) Viewed 14363 times
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Another Theresa May cover up:
Theresa May accused of personally delaying critical reports on immigration
Chief inspector of borders and immigration claims his role is being compromised as the home secretary sits on findings
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... on-reports
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Certainly we share over 50% of our DNA with a banana
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tizme1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:@Tizme
You asked for help with a Labour policy on young unemployed. I tried to help you by explaining that JSA was not just being taken away but would be replaced by a Youth Allowance, with conditions, and a brief explanation as to why that was better than JSA (being able to go back to collage without financial penalty)
You then turned the argument into adult unemployed, people who have worked for 7 years and 40k plus earnings not being enough to support a child for an extra couple of years whilst they get on their feet. You ended by saying
"I don't think you answered why a uni student should get into 30k+ debt while their peer/sibling was paid to continue studying. Nor did you answer at what age an individual becomes a citizen in their own right."
No I didn't, because I was answering the question you originally asked, not a subset of "what if's".
The 40K (or 44K not sure which) parents earnings is on a sliding scale, which has been based on the current University Maintenance Grant
"Full-time students are also eligible for grants to help with living costs, which you do not have to repay. If your household/parents’ income is less than £25,000, you will be eligible for a full Maintenance Grant of £3,354 a year. If your household/parents’ income is £25,000-£42,611, you will be eligible for a partial grant (i.e. a lesser amount). Maintenance Grants are not available to part-time students. - See more at: http://www.offa.org.uk/students/frequen ... 38Z7W.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "
The proposed Youth Allowance, which is basically to encourage kids to study rather than hang out on JSA, is the equivalent of the maintenance grant a student (who's parents earn less than 40k) can apply for - on a sliding scale - and is actually putting young unemployed on a par with uni students, in that they too can study to improve their futures.
University Fees are a different subject.
"I" (that's me personally) think for education/benefits purposes we should be at least be partially responsible for our children for as long as they need our help, and I don't see a cut off time when a birthday changes that. Whilst I appreciate the middle class on 40k plus per year might feel squeezed, somehow I can't seem to work up the same level of sympathy for them as I do for those forced to use food banks. As I said if they can't help out their own child for an extra couple of years then maybe they should think of selling the second car or miss a few catch a film and meal evening out's.

I am not a Labour spokes person, I was simply attempting to help you with a question you had, and would have been more than happy to leave this at the point I stated last night which was "I think we will have to agree to differ on this one".
On Monday I asked about a particular Labour policy due to a blog I had read. You gave a very helpful response. As did a couple of other posters. My response was effectively 'oh good I'm glad I hadn't totally misremembered or indeed missed an important announcement all together'.

Tuesday morning yahyah asked whether I would be contacting the author of the blog to correct them. I said I hadn't book marked it but would be trying to find it again to double check exactly what had been written and if the author had said that Labour planned to remove all benefits for under 25's I would correct them, but if they had merely said Labour were proposing stopping JSA for under 25's then that was true. I also explained why, I didn't agree with that as a policy.

You then joined the conversation. You gave your point of view. I responded with mine.

Most parents continue to help their children pretty much as long as their alive. You keep on about helping out their 'child'. I was talking about how it could be difficult if they have more than one child. You sneeringly say they could sell the second car despite the fact I gave a very clear set of circumstances that did not involve a second car.

My own income is closer to those needing the food bank than it is to 40K a year. However, I don't think policy should only be decided on the basis of those who are absolutely the worst off or that sympathy and empathy should be reserved for the worst cases only. If you had a boil on your bum, it wouldn't hurt any less if I told you I had a broken arm.

My fundamental objection is this policy is saying young people between 18 and 25 are not full adults. Despite of course them being 'full adults' when it comes to paying taxes if they are in work.

We may indeed have to agree to differ but that doesn't mean I can't state my point of view. Especially when it wasn't me who raised the subject again.
I was going to let this die but on re reading it seems I've misled you, for which I unreservedly apologise.
The Youth Allowance will be for 18 -21 year olds who do not have a basic level of education.
"The funding is reminiscent of the education maintenance allowance (EMA), introduced in September 2004 under the previous Labour government, which saw 16- to 18-year-olds in college or training receive up to £30 a week depending on their household incomes"
http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/114492 ... -allowance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"We will ensure that every jobseeker is assessed for basic English, maths and IT skills. Anyone lacking basic skills would be offered training to improve their chances of finding a job – training that they would be required to take up or lose benefits."
http://www.labour.org.uk/issues/detail/young-people" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The jobs guarantee scheme will be for 18 to 24 year old who has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than a year, and for every adult aged 25 and over who has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than two years.
• Labour will guarantee a real, paid, starter job to every 18 to 24 year old who has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than a year, and for every adult aged 25 and over who has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than two years. These would be jobs people would be required to take, or else risk losing their benefits. We’ll pay for this with a tax on bank bonuses and by restricting pension tax relief for the wealthiest.
(This is based around the Welsh jobs guarantee scheme)
http://www.labour.org.uk/issues/detail/young-people" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additionally "proper" apprenticeships will be developed (with input from industry) for 16 to 19-year-olds, whilst they studying for the proposed Technical Baccalaureate
http://www.labour.org.uk/issues/detail/ ... rgotten-50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, apologies for giving some wrong info on this, hope its clearer now.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Just one more :lol: :lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 22.35.39.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 22.35.39.png (223.99 KiB) Viewed 14345 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 85725.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

miliband-ally-lord-wood-leads-condemnation-of-daily-express-over-its-definition-of-hidden-migrants
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:@Tizme
You asked for help with a Labour policy on young unemployed. I tried to help you by explaining that JSA was not just being taken away but would be replaced by a Youth Allowance, with conditions, and a brief explanation as to why that was better than JSA (being able to go back to collage without financial penalty)
You then turned the argument into adult unemployed, people who have worked for 7 years and 40k plus earnings not being enough to support a child for an extra couple of years whilst they get on their feet. You ended by saying
"I don't think you answered why a uni student should get into 30k+ debt while their peer/sibling was paid to continue studying. Nor did you answer at what age an individual becomes a citizen in their own right."
No I didn't, because I was answering the question you originally asked, not a subset of "what if's".
The 40K (or 44K not sure which) parents earnings is on a sliding scale, which has been based on the current University Maintenance Grant
"Full-time students are also eligible for grants to help with living costs, which you do not have to repay. If your household/parents’ income is less than £25,000, you will be eligible for a full Maintenance Grant of £3,354 a year. If your household/parents’ income is £25,000-£42,611, you will be eligible for a partial grant (i.e. a lesser amount). Maintenance Grants are not available to part-time students. - See more at: http://www.offa.org.uk/students/frequen ... 38Z7W.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "
The proposed Youth Allowance, which is basically to encourage kids to study rather than hang out on JSA, is the equivalent of the maintenance grant a student (who's parents earn less than 40k) can apply for - on a sliding scale - and is actually putting young unemployed on a par with uni students, in that they too can study to improve their futures.
University Fees are a different subject.
"I" (that's me personally) think for education/benefits purposes we should be at least be partially responsible for our children for as long as they need our help, and I don't see a cut off time when a birthday changes that. Whilst I appreciate the middle class on 40k plus per year might feel squeezed, somehow I can't seem to work up the same level of sympathy for them as I do for those forced to use food banks. As I said if they can't help out their own child for an extra couple of years then maybe they should think of selling the second car or miss a few catch a film and meal evening out's.

I am not a Labour spokes person, I was simply attempting to help you with a question you had, and would have been more than happy to leave this at the point I stated last night which was "I think we will have to agree to differ on this one".
On Monday I asked about a particular Labour policy due to a blog I had read. You gave a very helpful response. As did a couple of other posters. My response was effectively 'oh good I'm glad I hadn't totally misremembered or indeed missed an important announcement all together'.

Tuesday morning yahyah asked whether I would be contacting the author of the blog to correct them. I said I hadn't book marked it but would be trying to find it again to double check exactly what had been written and if the author had said that Labour planned to remove all benefits for under 25's I would correct them, but if they had merely said Labour were proposing stopping JSA for under 25's then that was true. I also explained why, I didn't agree with that as a policy.

You then joined the conversation. You gave your point of view. I responded with mine.

Most parents continue to help their children pretty much as long as their alive. You keep on about helping out their 'child'. I was talking about how it could be difficult if they have more than one child. You sneeringly say they could sell the second car despite the fact I gave a very clear set of circumstances that did not involve a second car.

My own income is closer to those needing the food bank than it is to 40K a year. However, I don't think policy should only be decided on the basis of those who are absolutely the worst off or that sympathy and empathy should be reserved for the worst cases only. If you had a boil on your bum, it wouldn't hurt any less if I told you I had a broken arm.

My fundamental objection is this policy is saying young people between 18 and 25 are not full adults. Despite of course them being 'full adults' when it comes to paying taxes if they are in work.

We may indeed have to agree to differ but that doesn't mean I can't state my point of view. Especially when it wasn't me who raised the subject again.
I was going to let this die but on re reading it seems I've misled you, for which I unreservedly apologise.
The Youth Allowance will be for 18 -21 year olds who do not have a basic level of education.
"The funding is reminiscent of the education maintenance allowance (EMA), introduced in September 2004 under the previous Labour government, which saw 16- to 18-year-olds in college or training receive up to £30 a week depending on their household incomes"
http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/114492 ... -allowance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"We will ensure that every jobseeker is assessed for basic English, maths and IT skills. Anyone lacking basic skills would be offered training to improve their chances of finding a job – training that they would be required to take up or lose benefits."

The jobs guarantee scheme will be for 18 to 24 year old who has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than a year, and for every adult aged 25 and over who has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than two years.
• Labour will guarantee a real, paid, starter job to every 18 to 24 year old who has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than a year, and for every adult aged 25 and over who has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than two years. These would be jobs people would be required to take, or else risk losing their benefits. We’ll pay for this with a tax on bank bonuses and by restricting pension tax relief for the wealthiest.
(This is based around the Welsh jobs guarantee scheme)

Additionally "proper" apprenticeships will be developed (with input from industry) for 16 to 19-year-olds, whilst they studying for the proposed Technical Baccalaureate
http://www.labour.org.uk/issues/detail/ ... rgotten-50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, apologies for giving some wrong info on this, hope its clearer now.
That's very something of you AAW. I'm not sure what the word is I'm looking for because what ever word I think of, I then think it could be taken wrongly and give offence. Whatever the word is that I'm searching for, it means I appreciate your post, your honesty, and your integrity. I also appreciate you taking the trouble to give the links which I will look at later. Already though I can see that more than likely puts a very different complexion on things. Thank you.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Very true.

Not sure this has been linked to but it cheered me up. Ed may not be the leader of my chosen party but I do have some admiration for him. If this article is correct then it gives me hope.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... -own-terms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

boo

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 12m12 minutes ago
CON takes 1% lead with YouGov
CON 33 LAB 32 LD 6 UKP 16 GRN 7
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I seem to have the proper poorly version of whatever Osbourne has given himself, I need some honey and lemon and I'm out of lemons. I'm not sure which of you is closest but if someone could pop round with a couple that would be lovely. *sniff*
I still believe in a town called Hope
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tizme1 wrote:
Very true.

Not sure this has been linked to but it cheered me up. Ed may not be the leader of my chosen party but I do have some admiration for him. If this article is correct then it gives me hope.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... -own-terms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Tizme - yes a good piece. Eaton has been on form recently.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:boo

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 12m12 minutes ago
CON takes 1% lead with YouGov
CON 33 LAB 32 LD 6 UKP 16 GRN 7
Interesting stuff, YouGov continue to suggest a small Labour lead, others a slightly larger one. Labour needs a plan to get a few more votes from moderate Tories, Labour Kippers and the Greens.

Since these are incompatible constituencies I assume he will aim for the last two. Expect more left wing populism.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

adam wrote:I seem to have the proper poorly version of whatever Osbourne has given himself, I need some honey and lemon and I'm out of lemons. I'm not sure which of you is closest but if someone could pop round with a couple that would be lovely. *sniff*
No lemons, but here's a hug to cheer you up :hug: feel better soon
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

adam wrote:I seem to have the proper poorly version of whatever Osbourne has given himself, I need some honey and lemon and I'm out of lemons. I'm not sure which of you is closest but if someone could pop round with a couple that would be lovely. *sniff*
I was watching the start of the film Wild Bill on Film4 earlier and a drug dealer in that referred to his product as 'honey'... No wonder Winnie the Pooh always had a craving. ;)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Do you want :line: with that.

Fairly sure George did.

I recommend a couple of pints, and some painkillers followed by bed.
Release the Guardvarks.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 85725.html

miliband-ally-lord-wood-leads-condemnation-of-daily-express-over-its-definition-of-hidden-migrants
That makes me a hidden migrant for 65+ years, while all along I lived under the delusion that I was British. Funny that. Up to how many generations, I wonder, because by that logic, if you are a hidden migrant then your kids must be doubly hidden. And so on..... Would seven generations be enough? Too much, too little? Does it work the other way? Can English hidden migrants all over the world return? :wall:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

LabourLordsUK ‏@LabourLordsUK · 5 hrs5 hours ago
Even 4 Tory Peers joined with us to ban #paydayloans ads before 9pm watershed but 72 LibDems helped vote it down http://bit.ly/1hMQqLn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

AngryAsWell wrote:LabourLordsUK ‏@LabourLordsUK · 5 hrs5 hours ago
Even 4 Tory Peers joined with us to ban #paydayloans ads before 9pm watershed but 72 LibDems helped vote it down http://bit.ly/1hMQqLn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
$$$