Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th November 2014

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Is it just me, or is this place very slow at the moment? :?:
I've just finished reading the recommended articles in everyone's posts, AK. Thank you, everyone. All you comments gave me much to reflect upon. From the Mirror article we enjoyed:
Employment agencies, factory bosses, HGV firms, sandwich makers - they all want to cut their costs, and recruiting en masse among people who think £6 an hour would be incredible wealth does just that.

These migrants pay the agency - up front or out of their pay packets - or the agency is paid a finders' fee by the firm. Sometimes firms recruit direct and cut out the middle man.
(my bold)

Yes.

Entitlement junkie Tory donor MP property speculating black-mould-growing revenge eviction enthusiasts tell lies.

I'm offended they dare show their shameless faces, dare to continue lying, trying to shout down & bully regular people into silence when their game is documented over & over again telling us all the real truth & the reality is it's about as bad as it could be - there can be nothing worse than throwing people into each other, goading them into fighting each other while laughing & profiting from the deception.

I'm uncomfortable because the lies continue to get told, the shrill bullying gets ramped up, people I know & love sometimes believe the lies because it's hard to acknowledge the magnitude, the implications of the truth.

Something will have to be done to make sure the communities all over the country are supported properly. People living everywhere in this country need work done competently every day. The various services & consumer supply distribution networks must be arranged without using despicable, cheating employment systems using regular people for sport & profit.

I'm in the middle of Hunty's book, Building Jerusalem: The Rise and Fall of the Victorian City. Small, selfish people who use the earth & people to satisfy their own unrestricted acquisitions to the detriment to everyone else continue with us in every generation. Thankfully, people like ErnstRemarx & countless others get born too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

09 Apr 2014

Next chief Lord Wolfson donates £4m bonus to staff
Conservative peer hands payout to fashion retailer's 20,000 employees for second year

Lord Wolfson, the chief executive of Next, has waived his £4m bonus for the second consecutive year and awarded it to the clothing retailer’s staff.

Roughly 20,000 full-time and part-time employees who have worked for the company between April 2011 and April 2014 will share the bonus, which works out to be an average of £200 each.

In an email to staff, Lord Wolfson said the “exceptional gains” of a 65pc rise in profits per share and a trebling of the retailer’s share price meant his bonus had become “more valuable that I could possibly have hoped for”.

“I am also in the very fortunate position to have significantly benefited as a shareholder,” the Conservative peer wrote. In these circumstances, instead of accepting the award, I have asked the board if they will share it amongst all those who have worked for the company during the [past] three-year period.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... staff.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nov 28, 2014
Ed Miliband will BAN firms from advertising jobs to migrants before Brit workers
The Labour leader has spoken out after a Mirror investigation revealed Next was advertising jobs in Poland before they were offered to local workers living near its warehouse

The Labour leader tore into the clothing firm - run by Tory peer and donor Lord Wolfson - after the Mirror revealed it was advertising jobs in Poland before they were offered to local workers living near its warehouse in South Yorkshire.

Hundreds of Polish workers have been bussed in on short-term, minimum wage contracts.

Mr Miliband, a South Yorkshire MP, raged: “Lord Wolfson should know it is simply unacceptable if jobs at Next are being advertised first in Poland, only in Polish, and for significantly less than they pay their permanent staff.

...speaking in the Commons, Labour frontbencher Kevin Brennan said the Tories should pay back the large sums of cash they have received from Lord Wolfson.

“Why should we be surprised that net migration is now higher than it was under Labour, given that, as we learn in the Daily Mirror, Tory donor Lord Wolfson’s company Next recruits en masse in Poland for jobs that it does not advertise in Britain?” he raged.

Why did the Prime Minister not condemn Lord Wolfson and his company’s practices, and will he be keeping the £400,000 that Lord Wolfson has donated to the Tory party?

The Tory Party declined to comment.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ed ... ng-4714877" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I typed in "Lord Wolfson" & the first story was the Telegraph article describing the magnanimous Tory donor's crass charity.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ha, ha.

Wolfson is a Brexit man and all.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Good afternoon.

Yesterday night at around 10pm I caught Tom Bradby's report on Cameron's immigration speech. Bradby twice used the following phrase: "Those who prefer evidence-based analysis". The second time he used it as a counterpoint to "the responses on the street suggest that emotion does play a large part in this issue."

Now I may be a little naïve here, but isn't "evidence-based analysis" part of the job of a broadcast journalist? And shouldn't broadcast journalists be a bit embarrassed about their own part in allowing emotion to play a bigger role than "evidence-based analysis" in the response on the street?

I said something similar on the Guardian last week, in response to some stat about more people thinking Miliband went to public school than Farage. To me this isn't evidence of mass ignorance, but of a media patently failing to do its job properly.

Oh, and the report also prioritised Farage's response over that of the Leader of the Opposition. But I don't suppose that's even news any more, is it?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

anyone know when this id from ???
Dennis openly calls Boy George, in the HoC, about lines of coke...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

2005, Dennis got ejected from the chamber because of it.

Has anyone seen a report, or a newspaper that's actually asked Osborne what was up with him in the House this week ?

Have been hoping there might be radio silence over it because something big may be hitting the headlines about him and they are keeping their powder dry. [apologies for metaphor overload]
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

NonOxCol wrote:Good afternoon.

Yesterday night at around 10pm I caught Tom Bradby's report on Cameron's immigration speech. Bradby twice used the following phrase: "Those who prefer evidence-based analysis". The second time he used it as a counterpoint to "the responses on the street suggest that emotion does play a large part in this issue."

Now I may be a little naïve here, but isn't "evidence-based analysis" part of the job of a broadcast journalist? And shouldn't broadcast journalists be a bit embarrassed about their own part in allowing emotion to play a bigger role than "evidence-based analysis" in the response on the street?

I said something similar on the Guardian last week, in response to some stat about more people thinking Miliband went to public school than Farage. To me this isn't evidence of mass ignorance, but of a media patently failing to do its job properly.

Oh, and the report also prioritised Farage's response over that of the Leader of the Opposition. But I don't suppose that's even news any more, is it?

Evidence-based analysis is a bit like evidence-based policy - it seems to have evaporated in past few years.

Instead, we have fact-free churnalism, and policy based on ideology in the hope that evidence might emerge that it works. Which in the case of this bloody awful government, it rarely does; and the truth about some of the results of their policies stays hidden.

Like - the 60 "Peer reviews following the death of a customer (sic) while on benefits". No, says DWP, we don't collect figures for deaths. No, says Mark Harper, I can think of no reason why DWP should collect or analyse such figures.
DWP have lied for more than 2 years about this - the 60 cases were reviewed between 2012 and this year.

Yesterday, I heard at least two people on the BBC news say that immigrants want to come here because of our "booming economy"

Booming. Well, of COURSE it is.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ukip disowns 'east London branch' Twitter account after homophobic comments
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 91265.html
... A Ukip spokesman told the Standard the account holder was not a party member and said the Bethnal Green and Bow branch did not exist.

It said in a statement to the i100, the party said: "The Ukip East London Twitter account is not a Ukip account. We do not have an “East London” branch and nor would we in any way endorse the Tweets it has made. ...
Well, maybe not, but for some reason these homophobic twitterers seem to want to affiliate themselves to you ... they must feel there's some kind of natural fit or something, no?
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Those who prefer evidence-based analysis"
Those providing news & information are to do so based upon emotional responses rather than evidence-based analysis?
Millionaire in a cheap suit: Next CEO Simon Wolfson has big plans for London
He’s part philanthropic dynasty, part political power couple and runs the high street chain Next. Simon Wolfson tells Katie Law about his big plans for the city

"...it’s hard not to warm to his well-intentioned enthusiasm, especially if he can make the numbers crunch — and if anyone can, he can.

In the past two years he’s seen Next shares hugely outperform not just competitors such as Marks & Spencer but the wider market, thanks largely to the dramatic expansion of Next Home and the success of its online catalogue Next Directory. He was so chuffed that he gave away his £2.4 million bonus last year “as a gesture of thanks and appreciation” to of staff who’d been there for more than three years — all 19,400 of them. But then, giving money away is a family tradition: the Wolfson Foundation, the charitable trust Sir Isaac set up in 1955, donates up to £35 million a year and there are Wolfson Colleges at both Oxford and Cambridge universities.

So does his wealth make him feel socially responsible? “Yes. The more money you have, the more opportunity you have to make a contribution. I think industrialists and people like that also make an enormous contribution through their work. Ultimately everyone, deep down, wants to change the world for the better and if you’re fortunate enough to be able to make a difference through giving money for prizes, or to schools and hospitals, then that’s what you should do. I’ve been brought up in a family where it’s been second nature”.

Becoming a father has also made Wolfson take a greater interest in nature and his own gardens: he has homes in Milton Keynes and now in Primrose Hill, having apparently liquidated some £3.8 million to pay for his wedding and his second family house in London. “When I was in my twenties I wanted to be in the heart of the city and didn’t want access to green spaces. But as you get older and have a family those things become more important. When I moved, I saw the garden as just a patch of green, but I’ve come to love it more and more. Even though I don’t have time to be out there with the secateurs, I absolutely love it at weekends and on summer evenings. It makes me realise how important nature is to other people too. I have no rational explanation of why nature is so important, but clearly it is.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/lon ... 51672.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)

"I have no rational explanation of why nature is so important, but clearly it is.”
- Simon Wolfson

Lots of people have a rational explanation of why nature is so important, Simon. Please educate yourself. Please have a think about how your money is generated. Please know that random acts of charity don't replace a dignified system of social security provision available to all people contributing to the world you're counting on to keep your dynasty intact.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:2005, Dennis got ejected from the chamber because of it.

Has anyone seen a report, or a newspaper that's actually asked Osborne what was up with him in the House this week ?

Have been hoping there might be radio silence over it because something big may be hitting the headlines about him and they are keeping their powder dry. [apologies for metaphor overload]

Thanks, thought something was happening as its only gone up today - Published on 29 Nov 2014.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Landlord made £40,000 from illegal property with tree poking through wall
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/l ... 92764.html
With housing a current topic here .... this property and the landlord takes the proverbial biscuit. Just shows what a dire situation we've got into with the lack of affordable, decent housing for people ... and lack of sufficient regulation and powers to stop shits like this landlord getting away with it.
A rogue landlord apparently made up to £40,000 by renting out a three-bedroom house with a huge tree growing through one of the rooms.

The detached house, in Clapham, south London, had been illegally converted into flats after it was passed onto a housing association on a short term basis in the 1970s.

It was meant to be returned back to the council after undergoing refurbishment but instead fell into the hands of the anonymous landlord.

When Lambeth Council took back possession of the house they found a nearby tree was poking into one of the rooms - and the occupants were using electricity from a cable drilled through the branch.
The pictures of this place are something else.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Think the new Lib Dem president vote result will be announced shortly.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

16 year old girl with mental health issues held in police cell as no bed available for her
Report (half a min) just been on R4 as well
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:anyone know when this id from ???
Dennis openly calls Boy George, in the HoC, about lines of coke...

Referring to the 1980s, Mr Skinner said: "The only thing that was growing then was the lines of coke in front of Boy George and the rest of the Tories."

Speaker Michael Martin told Mr Skinner to leave the chamber when he refused to withdraw the remark.

Mr Osborne later said it was "pretty desperate and personal stuff".
A coke habit? yeah, Jeff, true that.
Mr Martin demanded he withdraw his claim but the veteran MP referred to Sunday newspaper claims - denied by Tatton MP Mr Osborne - that he had taken cocaine.

Mr Skinner said: "That was in the News of the World and you know it."

He continued to refuse when Mr Martin repeated his demand, saying: "No, I'm not withdrawing it ... it's true".

The speaker told him to withdraw the comment or leave the chamber, eventually saying: "I order you to leave the chamber."

It was later confirmed that Mr Skinner would be excluded from the House for the rest of the day's sitting under rules about "grossly disorderly" behaviour.

He was not subject to an official "naming", which would have required a vote of MPs and meant a five-day suspension and loss of salary.

Speaking outside the chamber, a Conservative spokesman said: "When the Labour Party gets personal you know they are rattled.

"It is exactly this kind of behaviour that puts people off politics and which David Cameron's Conservative Party is trying to end."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4509994.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bolds)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

New Lib Dem president is Sal [Sarah] Brinton.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

It seems that a certain Mr Nicholas Griffin (self-styled "patriot", apparently) has just announced they will be voting UKIP next May :popcorn:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:16 year old girl with mental health issues held in police cell as no bed available for her
Report (half a min) just been on R4 as well
Been held since Thursday ...
SimonBowkett ‏@Simon_Bowkett · 54 mins54 minutes ago
16yo girl with #mentalhealth problems held by @DC_Police since Thurs because no #NHS beds available ANYWHERE in #UK. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-30261980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It seems that a certain Mr Nicholas Griffin (self-styled "patriot", apparently) has just announced they will be voting UKIP next May :popcorn:
I must make sure I tell a certain few people that next time I see them ... the ones who have insisted Ukip was different from those other unmentionable parties - that there was no way they would vote for them if they were anything like that.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Have posted on this before. The term evidence-based is the new buzzword that is supposed to validate everything, including the absurd.

A recent experience of this was its use to validate the results of a test with around 50% specificity.

It is also being used to validate giving injections at high speed, as a few fairly mundane studies 'prove' that it is less painful than slow delivery. Nothing mentioned about the resultant bruising at all. Or the fact that patients aren't asked afterwards whether they felt it was more painful this way, they are simply being told that nurses re doing it this way now. So no longitudinal info being collected then. But it does make the nurses feel better, even if they haven't a clue why they are administering the injection in the first place. Still it will speed up the delivery of flu jabs.

God help us if this is being applied to every aspect of government....... Oh, already is, :oops:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Holiday Inn in a bit of twitter bother....

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I have just been reading the comments under Exclusive survey results: What Lib Dem members think of the Coalition so far http://www.libdemvoice.org/exclusive-su ... l#comments

These two stood out ...
Exiled Scot 28th Nov '14 - 11:48pm
There were 12 local government by elections on Thursday in which just over 18,000 people voted. Just 305 voted Lib Dem – less than six times the amount a single independent candidate got in Orkney – who just happened to be dead.

There’s a lesson for the Clegg bunker in there methinks.
Paul In Wokingham 29th Nov '14 - 9:45am
“An excellent DPM”. Hmm…

Did anyone else watch “I’m a celebrity” last night? Ant and Dec suggested that Nick Clegg will have nothing much to do this time next year and with a wink and a smile they offered him the chance to be on next year’s show. They actually produced a T-shirt of the sort worn by all the contestants with “Cleggy” written on the back.

The whole “Lib Dems are irrelevant” meme has now been internalized by the “I’m a celeb” audience.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I stumble across something new (to me) on Twitter virtually everyday.

https://twitter.com/Thatchersrise
40 years on, tweeting the events leading up to the election of Margaret Thatcher as Leader of the Conservative Party.
It's actually rather compulsive. Oops, probably shouldn't have admitted that.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I have just been reading the comments under Exclusive survey results: What Lib Dem members think of the Coalition so far http://www.libdemvoice.org/exclusive-su ... l#comments

These two stood out ...
Exiled Scot 28th Nov '14 - 11:48pm
There were 12 local government by elections on Thursday in which just over 18,000 people voted. Just 305 voted Lib Dem – less than six times the amount a single independent candidate got in Orkney – who just happened to be dead.

There’s a lesson for the Clegg bunker in there methinks.
Paul In Wokingham 29th Nov '14 - 9:45am
“An excellent DPM”. Hmm…

Did anyone else watch “I’m a celebrity” last night? Ant and Dec suggested that Nick Clegg will have nothing much to do this time next year and with a wink and a smile they offered him the chance to be on next year’s show. They actually produced a T-shirt of the sort worn by all the contestants with “Cleggy” written on the back.

The whole “Lib Dems are irrelevant” meme has now been internalized by the “I’m a celeb” audience.
My experience of doorstep campaigning and voter ID'ing (which will be familiar to you party members who've had to do it... horrible though it can be) is that in about the last 3-4 years, I've met about 2-3 peole who admit voting FibDem and only 2 who'd continue to do so.

That's it. That's the end of the Fibs in the north of Bury, and the south isn't far behind.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 25m 25 minutes ago
Just what Farage didn't want. Ex-MEP & BNP leader, Nick Griffin, says he's now supporting UKIP http://bzfd.it/12fEwUM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is anyone in the meeja going to ask Farage what he thinks about it?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Holiday Inn in a bit of twitter bother....

That's extraordinary stuff. Must backfire on them surely.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

CameronMustGo slipped down to #3 earlier today but is now back on 2.

Meanwhile Britain, rather ironically, becomes more German

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/541690 ... UK+Feed%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As Cameron and Merkel begin to morph into each other.
Attachments
cameronmerkel.jpg
cameronmerkel.jpg (34.52 KiB) Viewed 11106 times
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dan Hodges @DPJHodges · 20h 20 hours ago
Forced repatriation. Re-classificaton of children of migrants. Migrants forced to register with the police. All in the past week. One week.
I hate to say this - but - he's right.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick · 1h 1 hour ago
New Lib Dem President Baroness Sal Brinton is also a former BBC TV floor manager

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick · 1h 1 hour ago
New Lib Dem President Baroness Sal Brinton is daughter of former Tory MP and ITN newscaster Tim Brinton
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

For some reason I can't get that link to work. What's it all about?
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

John Mann MP ‏@JohnMannMP · 4 mins4 minutes ago
Been waiting for confirmation of big child abuse development. Have it now. Then Clive Driscoll and Don Hale reveal more. Rewrite underway
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

They must have deleted the tweet, I'll try and find a copy but basically an immigration rant (think it supported Ukip but not sure on that)
Try this one, the tweeter copy's in Ukip-burton
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Sat 29 Nov, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Dan Hodges @DPJHodges · 20h 20 hours ago
Forced repatriation. Re-classificaton of children of migrants. Migrants forced to register with the police. All in the past week. One week.
I hate to say this - but - he's right.
Tweet him back - Well Dan if you want to change things you are going to have to make up with Ed.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

I don't recall this ever being mentioned. Did we missed this release from the Trussell Trust?

Almost 500,000 people given three days’ food in six months; 38% higher than same period last year.
http://www.trusselltrust.org/mid-year-stats-2014-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The charity, which runs a network of over 400 UK foodbanks, says that the number of people helped by their foodbanks in the first half of the 2014-15 financial year is 38% higher than numbers helped during the same period last year.
So that's at 38% increase in the financial year that ended with almost 1,000,000 people having to use a food bank to eat and it's a 38% increase during the warm spring/summer months where people aren't spending as much on their energy bills. God know how bad it's going to be upto the end of March 2015.

By my rough calculations we're looking at 1.3 million people at least needing to go to a TT foodbank if that ratio holds.
Last edited by Spacedone on Sat 29 Nov, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Oh - the page doesn't exist now apparently .... that was quick.

It was some pretty offensive anti immigration anti gay tweets seemingly sent out by the Holiday Inn Burton twitter account - with quite a lot of replies from people telling them what they thought of them.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

[youtube]e0IyAAOmwx4[/youtube]
Nick Cohen @NickCohen4 · 11h 11 hours ago
Brilliant; "We're hurting innocent people" "But we're helping the economy" Black Friday h/t @BryanAppleyard " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: That's extraordinary stuff. Must backfire on them surely.

It was some pretty offensive anti immigration anti gay tweets seemingly sent out by the Holiday Inn Burton twitter account - with quite a lot of replies from people telling them what they thought of them.
Just search for hiexburton in Twitter. Loads of people captured a screenshot of the offending tweet.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Spacedone wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: For some reason I can't get that link to work. What's it all about?

Just search for hiexburton in Twitter. Loads of people captured a screenshot of the offending tweet.
Like this one?
Attachments
B3oa57_IMAAWM-y.jpg
B3oa57_IMAAWM-y.jpg (90.23 KiB) Viewed 11056 times
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Fair play to the I.

Not quite a picture of Tebbit with the word Twat in front of it, but very very close.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/t ... gJqAHiW_ue
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Interesting.

The East Coast franchise was being quoted at £3.3bn.

Stagecoach themselves say it's £2.3bn.

http://www.stagecoach.com/media/news-re ... 11-27.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Holiday Inn Express @hiexburton
· 44 mins 44 minutes ago
Earlier a Tweet appeared on our account, it was not from us and we apologise for any offence it may have caused, investigations are underway
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sorry I haven't been very active on here for the last few days.
Two teeth extracted with difficulty on Wednesday has left me with a very bad face. Hoping it comes good soon!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I'm not a fan of Isabel Hardman, but on this I do feel she has a point (esp the fake ones) I've always though they were a bit iffy, as no debate has the house full all the way though it, PM's come and go, do other stuff and return to hear a particular MP or in time for the vote.

The menace of memes: how pictures can paint a thousand lies
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... sand-lies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's enough genuine debacles to go at them with, without making them up
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:Sorry I haven't been very active on here for the last few days.
Two teeth extracted with difficulty on Wednesday has left me with a very bad face. Hoping it comes good soon!
Hope you feel better soon!

:hug:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

John Mann MP ‏@JohnMannMP 2h2 hours ago
Don Hale has one extraordinary new development in papers tomorrow. Agreed to respect his exclusive, but read it very carefully Teresa May
That's Theresa with an h. Very important.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:I'm not a fan of Isabel Hardman, but on this I do feel she has a point (esp the fake ones) I've always though they were a bit iffy, as no debate has the house full all the way though it, PM's come and go, do other stuff and return to hear a particular MP or in time for the vote.

The menace of memes: how pictures can paint a thousand lies
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... sand-lies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's enough genuine debacles to go at them with, without making them up
Yes, that is good. Hardman has her moments. Far worse people in the media.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Spacedone wrote:I don't recall this ever being mentioned. Did we missed this release from the Trussell Trust?

Almost 500,000 people given three days’ food in six months; 38% higher than same period last year.
http://www.trusselltrust.org/mid-year-stats-2014-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The charity, which runs a network of over 400 UK foodbanks, says that the number of people helped by their foodbanks in the first half of the 2014-15 financial year is 38% higher than numbers helped during the same period last year.
So that's at 38% increase in the financial year that ended with almost 1,000,000 people having to use a food bank to eat and it's a 38% increase during the warm spring/summer months where people aren't spending as much on their energy bills. God know how bad it's going to be upto the end of March 2015.

By my rough calculations we're looking at 1.3 million people at least needing to go to a TT foodbank if that ratio holds.

I saw an article last week (can't remember where) that said the TT supply 37% of all emergency food aid in the UK.

I think that's just food banks and stores - not hot meals etc. supplied by soup runs and homeless shelters.

If Trussell are issuing a million or so emergency parcels, that figure would suggest that there are probably about three times that number being issued altogether.

It's not clear if the number TT cites are people they have helped or parcels they have issued - even so, it's horrendous.

I am heartily sick of the people who drone on about Labour inventing food banks and Cameron saying they increased tenfold under Labour - food banks have always existed, most local authorities have always had one; and although Cameron is sort of right in that use of TT food banks went from 4,000 to 40,000 between 2000 and 2010, that use has gone up by much more in the last 4 years.

I saw a Tweet earlier today about the families who are in the pilot of Universal Credit in Cumbria - DWP will start taking new UC claims for families on 8th.December. Paid in arrears, taking 5 weeks to process - nice Christmas they'll have.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
John Mann MP ‏@JohnMannMP 2h2 hours ago
Don Hale has one extraordinary new development in papers tomorrow. Agreed to respect his exclusive, but read it very carefully Teresa May
That's Theresa with an h. Very important.
How do you know the self styled "UK's number one glamour model" isn't interested in the story?
Warning the above is an adult site (apparently) which is why I haven't linked it. The front page is I assure you harmless (yes I did check).
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB · 8 mins8 minutes ago
Tonight's YouGov sees
CON 32%, LAB 34%, LD 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 6%
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ephemerid wrote:
Spacedone wrote:I don't recall this ever being mentioned. Did we missed this release from the Trussell Trust?

I saw an article last week (can't remember where) that said the TT supply 37% of all emergency food aid in the UK.

I think that's just food banks and stores - not hot meals etc. supplied by soup runs and homeless shelters.

If Trussell are issuing a million or so emergency parcels, that figure would suggest that there are probably about three times that number being issued altogether.

It's not clear if the number TT cites are people they have helped or parcels they have issued - even so, it's horrendous.

I am heartily sick of the people who drone on about Labour inventing food banks and Cameron saying they increased tenfold under Labour - food banks have always existed, most local authorities have always had one; and although Cameron is sort of right in that use of TT food banks went from 4,000 to 40,000 between 2000 and 2010, that use has gone up by much more in the last 4 years.

I saw a Tweet earlier today about the families who are in the pilot of Universal Credit in Cumbria - DWP will start taking new UC claims for families on 8th.December. Paid in arrears, taking 5 weeks to process - nice Christmas they'll have.
The "Labour invented foodbanks" thing is another lazy myth perpetuated by the Right. While you are correct in saying that they have always, to an extent, existed they became more prevalent after 2001-2; these foodbanks were, in the main, set up by churches in response to the increasing numbers of asylum seekers formed, in no small part, by people fleeing from the consequences of Blair's military misadventures and who were not really provided for by the benefit system (despite all claims to the contrary). Post 2008-9 there were a relatively small number of 'Brits' beginning to use them, but most of that oft-quoted 40000 were refugees and asylum seekers.

They were never intended to be the last resort for the poor and vulnerable of this country, and it it to the eternal shame of people like IDS, Clegg and Cameron that they have become exactly that. It is also to their shame that they have lied over the years to suggest that this is a Labour problem (rather than one of their own making) and tried to muddy the waters with comments like those from Freud, when he suggested people would always go for free stuff; I reserve a special circle of hell for Paul Dacre, with his various attempts over the years to 'prove' that Freud's comments were right - his expectation is to eventually receive a gong for services rendered when, in fact, he deserves an orange jumpsuit and leg irons.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.