Monday 1st December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 1st December 2014

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Among other things, numbers starting teacher training are down, by 236.

So there won't be any more of that recycling failed teachers then?!

Why do governments always think there's an alternative work of teachers out there?
They think anyone can do it.
Absolutely.

Apparently it's the 3rd year in a row recruitment has fallen. There is though a hilarious caveat.
Figures covered by the release did not include Teach First, nor the government’s Troops to Teachers programme.
Didn't the Coalition pull grants for PGCE training? I might have to check.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick Clegg secures funds to tackle fall in student voter registration
Conservatives would have preferred to spend money encouraging expats abroad to register

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... gistration
Words fail me.
Working on the wild side.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 95196.html

Holy crap, I agree with Nick Griffin. :smack:

Didn't see that one coming, a truly stunning moment in UK foreign policy when he makes more sense than the government.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Jeez...numpty isn't the right word for someone like Nick Gibb - I'd call him an out-and-out liar.
Julie Hilling (Bolton West) (Lab):
We are constantly told that free schools are outperforming all other maintained schools. Will the Minister comment on his own Department’s admission that not only have a very small number of free schools actually been inspected, but that the

“findings cannot be interpreted as a balanced view of the quality of education nationally”?

Mr Gibb:
Of course, many of the schools have only just opened—they have been open for only one year or two years—and not all of them have yet been inspected. However, many have been inspected, and 24% of free schools inspected have been judged outstanding. That is under the tougher framework that Ofsted now applies. The rate is higher than for schools as a whole.
Wait.

The Dfe said this in response to complaints about themselves and their lackeys in the NSN going on about Ofsted grades...
It should be noted that Ofsted operates a policy of proportionate inspection, with inspection carried out where it is likely to have most impact. For example, a school judged outstanding at its last inspection is exempt from further inspection unless risk assessment indicates a serious risk of decline. Therefore, within any one year, the sample of schools inspected by Ofsted is not representative of all schools: outstanding and good schools are under-represented, whilst those requiring improvement or inadequate are over-represented. The findings cannot be interpreted as a balanced view of the quality of education nationally
And where was this?

Why, immediately before the quote that Hilling gave him!

It was right to sack him two years ago - he should have stayed sacked.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Conservatives would have preferred to spend money encouraging expats abroad to register

Words fail me.

Smack meet gob!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Words fail me.
Fair play to Clegg though. A Lib Dem encouraging students to register is proof that some turkeys will indeed vote for Christmas.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Words fail me.

Smack meet gob!
:lol:

Something along those lines might make a good tweet.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Rebekah Brooks promoted one of her most senior journalists on the Sun by scrawling a job description on a Post-it note, a jury has heard.

The yellow note, now 10 years old, was produced in Kingston crown court on Monday in the trial of Graham Dudman, the paper’s former managing editor.

After a brief objection by the prosecution, which had not seen the note, it was passed around the jury.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... am-dudman-

:lol: :lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Eric_WLothian wrote:
Rebekah Brooks promoted one of her most senior journalists on the Sun by scrawling a job description on a Post-it note, a jury has heard.

The yellow note, now 10 years old, was produced in Kingston crown court on Monday in the trial of Graham Dudman, the paper’s former managing editor.

After a brief objection by the prosecution, which had not seen the note, it was passed around the jury.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... am-dudman-

:lol: :lol:
Actually, fair play to the lady. I rather like that approach to process.

HR departments used to be called personnel and universally known as anti personnel. So using a post-it note to bypass them is fabulous.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

How on earth did we miss this yesterday?
Guardian admits it will not allow readers to criticise its journalists
http://tompride.wordpress.com/
Confirmation of what many here have experienced.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Words fail me.
Fair play to Clegg though. A Lib Dem encouraging students to register is proof that some turkeys will indeed vote for Christmas.
Well quite. And not only voting for Christmas, but encouraging thousands of young voters to line up for the chance to metaphorically wring his neck.

Splendid.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:How on earth did we miss this yesterday?
Guardian admits it will not allow readers to criticise its journalists
http://tompride.wordpress.com/
Confirmation of what many here have experienced.
They are quite clear in their rules that you cannot abuse their journalists. Wintour has a very thin skin, Kettle rather less so.

The Guardian does tolerate quite a bit of abuse, and if you are banned use a proxy server and get another account.

Or just ignore them.
Release the Guardvarks.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

George may have handed out a free sweeties today to a few of his career worried colleagues, but I still reckon it will take more than a by-pass to save some of their necks?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... 0-43767197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Gov overturns Lords defeat on #judicialreview 319 to 203 Means public authority can escape legal challenge even when they behave improperly.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:George may have handed out a free sweeties today to a few of his career worried colleagues, but I still reckon it will take more than a by-pass to save some of their necks?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... 0-43767197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He should have allocated the money at the start of the parliamentary term, so that these projects were well under way come election time. Such investment would have been a useful boost to the economy at the time and could have helped keep Labour's recovery going. Instead we have last minute promises of extra money to be spent, even though Osborne is way off balancing the books. Surely people will ask, if we can afford this investment now, when we still have most of the deficit to reduce, why couldn't we afford it 4 1/2 years ago. And they'd be right to ask, because of course we could have afforded then, as well, and could be reaping the benefits from that investment already.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Is this a new one to us ... or have Roger and Tubby already reported on this?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Gov overturns Lords defeat on #judicialreview 319 to 203 Means public authority can escape legal challenge even when they behave improperly.
This makes me furious and sick. One more for Labour to do something about if they get into government .... how many of these awful things that need undoing are there now.

Did any Lib Dems turn up? Last tweet I saw said that only one Lib Dem was in the chamber to debate it. I hate them with a passion I didn't think possible.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Willow904 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:George may have handed out a free sweeties today to a few of his career worried colleagues, but I still reckon it will take more than a by-pass to save some of their necks?

He should have allocated the money at the start of the parliamentary term, so that these projects were well under way come election time. Such investment would have been a useful boost to the economy at the time and could have helped keep Labour's recovery going. Instead we have last minute promises of extra money to be spent, even though Osborne is way off balancing the books. Surely people will ask, if we can afford this investment now, when we still have most of the deficit to reduce, why couldn't we afford it 4 1/2 years ago. And they'd be right to ask, because of course we could have afforded then, as well, and could be reaping the benefits from that investment already.
No, don't you remember? We were like Greece on the verge of bankruptcy. :o
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

They're some names on that marginal list that I'd really like to see the backs of ... really hoping voters aren't going to be duped and will deliver the Portillo moment.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Adam Boulton ‏@adamboultonSKY 50m50 minutes ago London
Gordon Brown reveals he had secret surgery to save eyesight while PM
:?:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
It's not a Free School i.e. a new school but an academy which was sponsored w.e.f. 1st Jan 2013.

The odd thing is that they have 2 schools...the other one is in Eddisbury in Cheshire. What was that I said about having trusts with schools miles from each other?

Edit - having said that free schools are new schools...it also includes ex-fee paying schools so not strictly true but everyone knows my feelings on the definitions of free schools and academies...
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Mon 01 Dec, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
It's not a Free School i.e. a new school but an academy which was sponsored w.e.f. 1st Jan 2013.

The odd thing is that they have 2 schools...the other one is in Eddisbury in Cheshire. What was that I said about having trusts with schools miles from each other?
And with the DfE overseeing the pair from London.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Devon GP surgery accused of trying to deny treatments to patients
Practice in Newton Abbot forced to back down after it suggested that patients should not seek consultation for range of ailments

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... s-patients
In two minds about this ... because it sounds as though the practice was trying to give good information about other services available but ... that should happen as an addition to the GP service not instead of. GPs are, supposedly, the gateway to treatment - very hard to expect people to bypass them and know that they will still receive the appropriate care etc.

And the reasons the GP practice give in their leaflet for providing such information give the lie to Lansley, Clegg, Hunt & cos reorganisation of the health service and GPs knowing their patients best etc guff. These GPs aren't going to know some of their patients at all if they take their advice.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Adam Boulton ‏@adamboultonSKY 50m50 minutes ago London
Gordon Brown reveals he had secret surgery to save eyesight while PM
:?:
Nice to see Adam revealing what a classy guy he is; would he have preferred Brown to lose his sight? Some of the response to that tweet are predictably vile.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

They're some names on that marginal list that I'd really like to see the backs of ... really hoping voters aren't going to be duped and will deliver the Portillo moment.
None of them will have been started by the election.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Is this a new one to us ... or have Roger and Tubby already reported on this?

Sounds like another group of children failed ... and a very angry set of parents. What happens to these kids now ...?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA wrote:Good-afternoon, my friends. I'm having a rough time just now; a lot is going on in my family & feelings of powerlessness aren't comfortable to accept but there's only so much anyone can do. It's hard - it's been hard for so long for too many, not just me.

I'm keeping up with news reports from the ONS, NAO, Labour policy announcements, my friends' news here & May 2015. Please keep me in your thoughts. Thank you, my friends.
Hope everything will soon become easier for you and your family, dear citizenJA :hug:
You rock! :rock:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Good-afternoon, my friends. I'm having a rough time just now; a lot is going on in my family & feelings of powerlessness aren't comfortable to accept but there's only so much anyone can do. It's hard - it's been hard for so long for too many, not just me.

I'm keeping up with news reports from the ONS, NAO, Labour policy announcements, my friends' news here & May 2015. Please keep me in your thoughts. Thank you, my friends.
Hope everything will soon become easier for you and your family, dear citizenJA :hug:
You rock! :rock:
The encouragement of my friends & family give me every reason to love with my whole heart & not give way to despair. Mind you, sometimes my attention wanders - that's normal. I come back to the love again with friends & family.

Gordon Brown is a good man. The more I learn about him, the more I appreciate his work.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: It's not a Free School i.e. a new school but an academy which was sponsored w.e.f. 1st Jan 2013.

Sounds like another group of children failed ... and a very angry set of parents. What happens to these kids now ...?
Best things would be for them to come directly under the Birmingham schools "Tsar"- who was a surprisingly sensible appointment by Nicky Morgan. Can't remember who though.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

No great surprise this, if it happens, you have a ''newspaper'' and a political party virtually joined at the hip, both are barking, I find it hilarious to be honest..

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/d ... gel-farage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:No great surprise this, if it happens, you have a ''newspaper'' and a political party virtually joined at the hip, both are barking, I find it hilarious to be honest..

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/d ... gel-farage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They deserve each other.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

letsskiptotheleft wrote:No great surprise this, if it happens, you have a ''newspaper'' and a political party virtually joined at the hip, both are barking, I find it hilarious to be honest..

Somehow I doubt Diana would have approved.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I can't see it's worth voting for someone because they just announced something for you. Unless the Opposition says they'll cancel it, you'll get it anyway.

So look at other things, forget about it completely. Which party will be better for you on everything else?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Howard League ‏@TheHowardLeague 11m11 minutes ago
Breaking: government defeats House of Lords amendment to prevent girls and younger children being incarcerated in new titan child prisons
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

SNP are not on my Christmas card list but this is a bit much
Ukip Chairman Sparks Backlash After Comparing SNP to Nazis

http://www.newsweek.com/ukip-chairman-s ... zis-288126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Mike Hartman ‏@MHtwafa · 5m5 minutes ago
@edlnews @nickjgriffinbnp @BullshineBilly Is Griffin allowed back in to UK after #Syria visit?
:D
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ExaroNews ‏@ExaroNews · 4 mins4 minutes ago
Police have files on 200 missing boys from the period. They are hunting through for clues in triple-murder probe. http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5415/ ... -into-vips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
The Howard League ‏@TheHowardLeague 11m11 minutes ago
Breaking: government defeats House of Lords amendment to prevent girls and younger children being incarcerated in new titan child prisons
Julian Huppert will pop up and say "we've made another progressive change".

Or did he vote against?
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... economy-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A nice article on Gordon Brown.
I wouldn't venture BTL, gold and pensions have already been mentioned and I would expect it to get worse.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Local residents express their concern about the new A303 Stonehenge Tunnel:
We don't bother the outside world, we don't want it bothering us.
Attachments
Tubbs-and-Edward-from-the-007.jpg
Tubbs-and-Edward-from-the-007.jpg (35.55 KiB) Viewed 11022 times
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Best things would be for them to come directly under the Birmingham schools "Tsar"- who was a surprisingly sensible appointment by Nicky Morgan. Can't remember who though.
Mike Tomlinson - ex HMCI.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ah, cheers.

This is quite funny:

This all sounds politically correct. Was Gove's reign in vain?

https://news.tes.co.uk/b/news/2014/12/0 ... gcses.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New history GCSEs will see pupils studying migration into Britain and the fact that it “has always been a feature” of the country, it emerged today.

News of the qualifications, developed by exam board OCR, comes with controversy over immigration at the top of the political agenda.

The board hopes that including the topic will encourage more teenagers to take history. Mike Goddard, the board’s head of history, also suggested that knowledge of previous waves of migration into the UK could also help contemporary discussion on the issue.

“The history of migration into our country doesn’t necessarily inform these debates and potentially it could do in a useful way,” he told TES.

Significant periods of immigration since Roman times will be covered in a topic included in two new history GCSEs being developed by the board for first teaching from September 2016.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

WelshIan wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... economy-uk

I wouldn't venture BTL, gold and pensions have already been mentioned and I would expect it to get worse.
I had a go over there earlier on, most if not all are now deleted as the original posts were so vile, and they weren't from Kippers or Tories but Nats..

In certain moments, when I am not so charitable and downright nice I think I would have a perverted pleasure from the Barnett formula being scrapped and given to other regions, to give the Nats really something to squeal over, but it soon passes and tranquillity returns.. ;)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ha ha.
Paul Bernal ‏@PaulbernalUK 2h2 hours ago
@julianhuppert @jane_samuels How did you vote?
0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites

Julian HuppertVerified account
‏@julianhuppert
@PaulbernalUK @jane_samuels we're getting concessions to improve the bill.

Paul Bernal ‏@PaulbernalUK 2h2 hours ago
@julianhuppert @jane_samuels You mean you voted in favour…………..
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Russell Brand may be idealistic about a lot of things but these sort of YouTube postings that engage and inform (especially the young) are excellent.

TTIP
http://youtu.be/Rh0InepmCwQ
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
WelshIan wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... economy-uk

I had a go over there earlier on, most if not all are now deleted as the original posts were so vile, and they weren't from Kippers or Tories but Nats..

In certain moments, when I am not so charitable and downright nice I think I would have a perverted pleasure from the Barnett formula being scrapped and given to other regions, to give the Nats really something to squeal over, but it soon passes and tranquillity returns.. ;)
I actually think that now. Not almost. Actually.

Devolution and lots of extra money for 13 years.

Labour did nothing for Scotland.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Oh dear. Tory MP claims she is being misrepresented and bullied, and then tweets this .....
Sarah Wollaston MP ‏@drwollastonmp · 5m5 minutes ago
@MargoJMilne @wsjaeboo @AndyLucia @LabourLeft please do keep it coming, shows Labour's vacuous hashtag campaign for what it really is
You gotta love it when they switch to the patronising approach, always a sure sign f somebody confident about their position. :D
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote:

Hear hear.

Look North tonight had trawled their archives to find previous ministers 'committing' to dualling the A1 north of Morpeth, I think there were 4, but that might just have been all they could find in the time available.
We should laugh, or cry, but instead will shrug cynically and believe it when we see the work start.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 4m4 minutes ago
National Opinion Poll (ComRes):
LAB - 31% (+1)
CON - 28% (-2)
UKIP 18% (-1)
LDEM - 9% (-)
GRN - 7% (+3)
Put those Greens in the debates now!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Guardian frontpage- thousands of fake students at private colleges.