Wednesday 3rd December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Re: Wednesday 3rd December 2014

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Evening all. Playing catch up, so let me see if I've got this straight:

- Ed Miliband ripped OGRFPG a new one in PMQs
- Dave fluffed his killer line and made himself look a total tit
- Dennis Skinner tore OGRFPG a new one
- Ed Balls used a point of order to tear OGRFPG a new one
- Gideon, not looking a whole lot better than he did last week, said everything was fine and if it wasn't fine it was Labour's fault
- Ed Balls was handed a copy of the OBR notes and promptly tore holes in Gideon's speech and tattered his credibility
- Nick "I'm Not With stupid" Clegg has decided he doesn't want to appear in public with OGRFPG and Gideon any more
- Vince Cable is still a prize plonker
- Gideon's cunningly hidden elephant trap is a bit of tinkering with stamp duty in a desperate attempt to keep his property bubble inflated
- Everybody thinks Gideon's (very late) Autumn Statement was farcical ....everybody but good ol' Havisham Hodges

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/autu ... -fate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did I miss anything, or has that about covered it?
I think you've grasped the essentials. I was going to read Haversham's latest screed on the Torygraph, but, do you know what? Life's too fucking short to waste it reading crap from a right wing moron who isn't fit to shovel shit. I'm sure that it'll be bad news for Miliband, regardless of the reality of the situation, from which Dan "fucking" Hodges is now utterly detached.

No apologies for the bad language. I'm cooking my third separate dish in less than two hours, and I'm beginning to resent the kitchen. Meh.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Evening all. Playing catch up, so let me see if I've got this straight:

- Gideon, not looking a whole lot better than he did last week, said everything was fine and if it wasn't fine it was Labour's fault
- Ed Balls was handed a copy of the OBR notes and promptly tore holes in Gideon's speech and tattered his credibility
- Nick "I'm Not With stupid" Clegg has decided he doesn't want to appear in public with OGRFPG and Gideon any more
- Gideon's cunningly hidden elephant trap is a bit of tinkering with stamp duty in a desperate attempt to keep his property bubble inflated
- Everybody thinks Gideon's (very late) Autumn Statement was farcical ....everybody but good ol' Havisham Hodges

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/autu ... -fate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Covers the occasion nicely :D
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

On who is it that has put a rocket up the Eds' backsides, may I present Lucy Powell MP, shadow Cabinet Office minister and vice-chair of the 2015 General Election campaign.

Powell led Miliband's leadership campaign and is back after I guess some time off to look after her 1 year old son.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 19.34.08.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 19.34.08.png (41.05 KiB) Viewed 16813 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

I think you've grasped the essentials. I was going to read Haversham's latest screed on the Torygraph, but, do you know what? Life's too fucking short to waste it reading crap from a right wing moron who isn't fit to shovel shit. I'm sure that it'll be bad news for Miliband, regardless of the reality of the situation, from which Dan "fucking" Hodges is now utterly detached.

No apologies for the bad language. I'm cooking my third separate dish in less than two hours, and I'm beginning to resent the kitchen. Meh.
First rule of Ohso's kitchen. Only one meal cooked at mealtimes. It limits menus somewhat, but keeps the cook happy.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

On the front page of The Telegraph.

Revealed: why Nick Clegg boycotted Autumn Statement
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg no longer wants to be seen sitting alongside David Cameron or George Osborne
A car wreck of a government.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

George Osborne has sealed Ed Balls's fate
The political struggle that defined this Parliament is finally over

DFH is flying a bit close to the wind. As usual.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
On the front page of The Telegraph.

Revealed: why Nick Clegg boycotted Autumn Statement
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg no longer wants to be seen sitting alongside David Cameron or George Osborne
A car wreck of a government.
I don't have a sufficiently withering and nasty expletive to do justice to what I think of Nick Clegg now .... he doesn't want to be seen sitting next to Cameron or Osborne ... my arse .... the f***************ing hypocrisy and sham. In a week when he and the other yellow bellies voted with the government to destroy redress for injustices for so many with the 'reforms' to judicial review ... and when he shared a 'wink' with Jeremy Hunt ....

Does anyone want to be seen sitting next to Nick Clegg ...? That's the real question.
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ge-osborne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alistair Darling gives his opinion of Osborne's final Autumn Statement.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

ohsocynical wrote:
George Osborne has sealed Ed Balls's fate
The political struggle that defined this Parliament is finally over

DFH is flying a bit close to the wind. As usual.
The last line makes me think of these guys
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 19.54.54.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 19.54.54.png (50.37 KiB) Viewed 16778 times
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:On who is it that has put a rocket up the Eds' backsides, may I present Lucy Powell MP, shadow Cabinet Office minister and vice-chair of the 2015 General Election campaign.

Powell led Miliband's leadership campaign and is back after I guess some time off to look after her 1 year old son.
I said she was a street fighter :fight: when he appointed her :lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ge-osborne

Oooh I like your "final" JA :twisted:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AngryAsWell wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:On who is it that has put a rocket up the Eds' backsides, may I present Lucy Powell MP, shadow Cabinet Office minister and vice-chair of the 2015 General Election campaign.

I said she was a street fighter :fight: when he appointed her :lol:
You were right she seems to be absolutely top notch. Definite change of tone since she's returned. The Ali Campbell type figure many here have been longing for.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW Helen Goodman was at the DWP under Brown,had some correspondence with her via MP.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cybernat just referred to "abusers" in Westminster.

They're mad.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Cybernat just referred to "abusers" in Westminster.

They're mad.
Tubby I'm not sure everyone will understand this comment.

As I've said before I dislike the term Cybernat. Who is it meant to refer to? Are they all mad? Or just that one?
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Good Evening
Just picked this up.
Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 2m2 minutes ago
BREAKING: @johnsweeneyroar says the Attorney General wrote to BBC Panorama twice trying to stop Mazher Mahmood documentary
Now why in the world would the Attorney General need to be involved?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

One for TinyClangers CMG stats scrapbook; according to Russia Today CMG is close to breaking the 1 million mark and has surpassed the Indyref #VoteYes tag. And still the UK meeja either ignore it or deride it, burying their collective heads in the sand. *

http://rt.com/uk/210983-cameron-uk-must-go/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* Polite version of where heads are being buried, as there are ladies present.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Catching up myself, if that's an accurate summary I am more than happy?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:One for TinyClangers CMG stats scrapbook; according to Russia Today CMG is close to breaking the 1 million mark and has surpassed the Indyref #VoteYes tag. And still the UK meeja either ignore it or deride it, burying their collective heads in the sand. *

http://rt.com/uk/210983-cameron-uk-must-go/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* Polite version of where heads are being buried, as there are ladies present.
Don't mind me. Heads so far up their asses they're licking their tonsils. 8-)
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

73.7% Miliband & Balls
26.3% Cameron & Osborne
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

marilyn ‏@662Maz 2m2 minutes ago
Bloody hell #CameronMustGo has hit a million tweets Superb work all, are we going for the second million?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Totally off our politics but something that's passed though my mind every now and then esp. their response to ebola...

Cuba’s extraordinary global medical record shames the US blockade
From Ebola to earthquakes, Havana’s doctors have saved millions. Obama must lift this embargo
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Love the last paragraph

If the blockade really were to be dismantled, it would not only be a vindication of Cuba’s remarkable record of social justice at home and solidarity abroad, backed by the growing confidence of an independent Latin America. It would also be a boon for millions around the world who would benefit from a Cuba unshackled – and a demonstration of what can be achieved when people are put before corporate profit.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Do you know something...I am starting the to think someone is feeding a stupidity drug to a number of the GBP!

I can only have this as an explanation for some the ignorant and lazy comments I read from them

First, we have this from the Indy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 01463.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and then this from the Grauniad.....the Primary School teacher particularly leaves me worrying for the children she is teaching.......

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... -statement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All that seems to matter to the Brits is house bloody prices - never mind anything else!

I have looked at the papers this afternoon and expected to see an evisceration of Cameron and Osborne today after truly inept displays....do I see that; do I fuck as like!

Cameron's performance brought his office into disrepute. I have see every PM since Callaghan and how anyone can watch his behaviour and say his Prime MInisterial is completely beyond me

What a joke!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

They're mad.

As I've said before I dislike the term Cybernat. Who is it meant to refer to? Are they all mad? Or just that one?
Ah, apol.

Context was a Scottish Nationalist saying he had no problem with North of England, just "abusers in Westminster". By which I assume he meant MPs (including quite a few elected in the North of England and Scotland, one might think). It's nasty stuff, and I've seen lots of it on the internet from supporters of Scottish Independence. That's what I'm referring to.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

It would appear it doesn't matter what he's writing about, he's a Scottish Labour MP so he has to be hated by the 45 BTL. It's so fucking tiresome.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian retweeted
Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 27m27 minutes ago
"Ed was the only leader in that candidate race" who would dared to stop the BSkyB bid says @tom_watson
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Ed Miliband ‏@Ed_Miliband · 20m20 minutes ago
A Labour government will always work with disabled people for change. Here’s how: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #IDPwD
Ephe, if you are around, I for one would appreciate your view on this.

@Ohso, you still managed to say it with far more gentility than I would have managed. :-)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
A Labour government will always work with disabled people for change. Here’s how: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #IDPwD

@Ohso, you still managed to say it with far more gentility than I would have managed. :-)
RR published this earlier
The 6 policies Labour will introduce to help change the lives of disabled people

http://labourlist.org/2014/12/the-6-pol ... ed-people/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Chris Bryant ‏@ChrisBryantMP · 6h6 hours ago
A damning irony: the Conservative club in the Rhondda is closed and has re-opened as a foodbank.
Chris Bryant's move to Arts looks to be a good one, certainly hints at Labour looking to move toward Leveson 2; not so sure about Helen Goodman's move to welfare, but as long as she stays clear of atlases she should be fine.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Just took a rare venture into Graunland and landed this pearler ;-)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 20.56.03.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 20.56.03.png (47.79 KiB) Viewed 16663 times
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

StephenDolan wrote:

It would appear it doesn't matter what he's writing about, he's a Scottish Labour MP so he has to be hated by the 45 BTL. It's so fucking tiresome.
Tiresome in the extreme, there's plenty of English regions, for long shat on from above would like the settlement the Scots have..

It wouldn't go amiss here in Wales too.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

They're mad.

Ah, apol.

Context was a Scottish Nationalist saying he had no problem with North of England, just "abusers in Westminster". By which I assume he meant MPs (including quite a few elected in the North of England and Scotland, one might think). It's nasty stuff, and I've seen lots of it on the internet from supporters of Scottish Independence. That's what I'm referring to.
Thanks for clarifying Tubby ;-)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Meanwhile under cover of the winter statement to keep it out of the press ......
Shocking video: Police CS spray protesting Warwick University students
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/c ... ay-8223393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

linda smith ‏@LabLinda75 · 1 hr1 hour ago
I still can't get over Green @BrightonHoveCC coming 306th out of 326 in recycling league table. Wonder how their vegan Mondays are going?

??
Off to check this out, I know our Labour council have taken us into the top 20, so for the Greens to be that low is a bit suspect - or bad management ....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Over our nearly 53 years of marriage, Mr Ohso has taught me some useful phrases. :shock:
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 3h3 hours ago
A hidden nasty in the Autumn Statement spotted: Universal Credit roll out has been purposefully delayed to save £1.8bn by 2019-20.

Jonathan Portes ‏@jdportes 3h3 hours ago
@tnewtondunn @MrRBourne How is it "purposeful"? OBR has simply said, given history, DWP plans aren't credible, will slip (yet again).

Tom Newton Dunn
‏@tnewtondunn
@jdportes @MrRBourne this is what I've been told by someone senior in the Coalition. Not OBR's verdict that forced it back, a money saver.
Of all the mind-blowing nonsense we've heard today, this is the bit I can't get my head round.

IDS tells us one week that UC is going to save £xbn. And one of the reasons the deficit is higher than expected is supposedly because it's been delayed.

But now delaying it will save money? Whether it's purposeful or not isn't the issue surely.
:?

Actually I'm even more confused by Tom N-D calling it a hidden nasty.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Sounds like the Select Committee not very happy with Morgan.

http://academiesweek.co.uk/education-se ... vel-reform" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Well done to PK for highlighting this one early on Twitter ;-)

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... nding-plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

balls-uncovers-black-hole-osbornes-nhs-spending-plan
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Totally off our politics but something that's passed though my mind every now and then esp. their response to ebola...

From Ebola to earthquakes, Havana’s doctors have saved millions. Obama must lift this embargo
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Love the last paragraph

If the blockade really were to be dismantled, it would not only be a vindication of Cuba’s remarkable record of social justice at home and solidarity abroad, backed by the growing confidence of an independent Latin America. It would also be a boon for millions around the world who would benefit from a Cuba unshackled – and a demonstration of what can be achieved when people are put before corporate profit.
CUBA

Education expenditures:
12.8% of GDP (2010)

country comparison to the world: 2

Life expectancy at birth:
total population: 78.22 years

country comparison to the world: 59

Health expenditures:
10% of GDP (2011)

country comparison to the world: 27

Taxes and other revenues:
65.9% of GDP (2013 est.)

country comparison to the world: 2

Out of a total of some 225 different countries, a random selection of some of CUBA's economy & people from the CIA World FactBook.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... os/cu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The World Factbook is one of the US Government's most accessed publications.

The World Factbook, produced for US policymakers and coordinated throughout the US Intelligence Community, presents the basic realities about the world in which we live. We share these facts with the people of all nations in the belief that knowledge of the truth underpins the functioning of free societies.
We can aspire to achieve greater truth, freedom, functionality & knowledge, yes.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

How about this from the Indy. Apparently Labour are unlikely to win in Atherstone, for some reason. This is the narrative ignoring reality.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 01463.html
The offer of lower taxes still might not be enough to stop the lure of Nigel Farage’s party, with many shoppers on Atherstone High Street displaying similar feelings. Labour’s former Solicitor General and Health Minister Mike O’Brien held the seat from 1992 and 2010, when Tory Dan Byles won with a majority of just 54 votes. The seat is at the top of Labour’s 106-target list for next May, yet they are unlikely to win - disillusionment with Ed Miliband’s party is abundant.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I once phoned tried to phone the Cuban embassy when I was ten years old. I didn't get through. I was having a bad day. My dad laughed at me & told me I was a communist. I told him I wanted to go live there. I love Cuba. True story.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.rt.com/uk/210983-cameron-uk-must-go/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a piece on my obsession - nice real time map of tweets at the end
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

TechnicalEphemera wrote:How about this from the Indy. Apparently Labour are unlikely to win in Atherstone, for some reason. This is the narrative ignoring reality.

The offer of lower taxes still might not be enough to stop the lure of Nigel Farage’s party, with many shoppers on Atherstone High Street displaying similar feelings. Labour’s former Solicitor General and Health Minister Mike O’Brien held the seat from 1992 and 2010, when Tory Dan Byles won with a majority of just 54 votes. The seat is at the top of Labour’s 106-target list for next May, yet they are unlikely to win - disillusionment with Ed Miliband’s party is abundant.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 21.58.07.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 21.58.07.png (42.48 KiB) Viewed 16558 times
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

A bit of humour to round off the day. Nat Tapley examines whether Gideon had, erm, perhaps used some chemical stimulation prior to delivering his (very, very late) Autumn Statement.

http://usvsth3m.com/post/was-george-osb ... -statement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And from the "you couldn't make it up" UKIP have been complaining about another UKIP parody account and urging their followers to block it. Personally I'm not sure what gave @trumpton_UKIP away; was it, as they say themselves:
UKIP Trumpton ‏@Trumpton_UKIP · 12h12 hours ago
@XaiderTalks what was it about the ficticious town of Trumpton that gave it away?
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... 1417641640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Night all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:How about this from the Indy. Apparently Labour are unlikely to win in Atherstone, for some reason. This is the narrative ignoring reality.

1 comment below the line 17 minutes ago
"So estate agents are happy? That doesn't sound too good."
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:A bit of humour to round off the day. Nat Tapley examines whether Gideon had, erm, perhaps used some chemical stimulation prior to delivering his (very, very late) Autumn Statement.

http://usvsth3m.com/post/was-george-osb ... -statement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And from the "you couldn't make it up" UKIP have been complaining about another UKIP parody account and urging their followers to block it. Personally I'm not sure what gave @trumpton_UKIP away; was it, as they say themselves:
UKIP Trumpton ‏@Trumpton_UKIP · 12h12 hours ago
@XaiderTalks what was it about the ficticious town of Trumpton that gave it away?
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... 1417641640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Night all.
That is epic. I only hope that Mrs Honeyman's past liaisons with the UKIP candidate don't come out.

Edited to correct my Trumpton characters, although there is also a bit of a rumour about a threesome with Miss Lovelace.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Not sure what's going on in Brighton but this makes an uncomfortable read

Brighton’s Greens, Council Tax and a disgraceful act of moral blackmail

http://notesbrokensociety.wordpress.com ... blackmail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

citizenJA wrote:I once phoned tried to phone the Cuban embassy when I was ten years old. I didn't get through. I was having a bad day. My dad laughed at me & told me I was a communist. I told him I wanted to go live there. I love Cuba. True story.
Some years ago I saw an RSC production of "Much Ado about Nothing" which they had set in 1950s Cuba. In the small print of the credits was "newspapers supplied by the Cuban Embassy". Now that's attention to detail! :)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Just took a rare venture into Graunland and landed this pearler ;-)
It got better..
Running a substantial deficit at the height of a credit boom which inevitably got much worse when the crash came, is what affected our credit rating.

:lol:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Totally off our politics but something that's passed though my mind every now and then esp. their response to ebola...

Love the last paragraph

Apologies - I think my posts aren't clear - I agree with you. Yes, people are before corporate profit in Cuba. It terrifies some people how successful cooperative endeavour can work out for regulars.