Wednesday 3rd December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Wednesday 3rd December 2014

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

Westminster Hall debates into benefit sanctions and assistive technology for those interested.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 0235000001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(of course feel free to change "subject "line I believe something of import happens today)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 3rd December 2014

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Couldn't sleep either, eh? Morning.

Comedy piece from Mary Riddell up at the Telegraph, "Are the Tories winning back Ukippers in the seats that matter?" Full of "why this is bad for Ed lines" (is this another Telegraph-related copyright violation, I hope she got Dan's permission?) despite the fact that this has always been a Tory constituency and so were the ones merged to form it; the fact that the next MP may well be a purple Tory rather than a blue one does not make this a Labour failure (despite Riddell's scrambling attempts to suggest as much), simply another colossal miscalculation on the part of Cameron et al.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... atter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

I can feel my blood boiling already at the thought of the inevitable BBC fawning over the Autumn Statement.

Political genius, yada yada yada.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

And deary, deary me, the good news just keeps on coming for the Tories. Kwasi Kwarteng, a member of the Free Enterprise Group which contains the likes of Priti Patel and is (supposedly) influential within the Party, has been caught on tape admitting that even ring-fenced funding like the NHS is likely to be attacked under a future Tory Government. If this lot get back in we are all finished.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 99136.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

And another one.
Hundreds of Army widows owing council tax could be taken to court and forced to pay up in a single instalment by magistrates.

The “vulnerable” women and disabled veterans are among 950,000 in arrears in England after Communities Secretary Eric Pickles axed £500million of aid for low-income households.

Labour uncovered the figures through freedom of information requests to 326 councils now responsible for council tax benefit.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hu ... it-4736909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yet, as StephenDolan rightly says, the BBC will ignore these stories and continue to laud Osborne as a political genius and Cameron as a colossus on the world stage. :fire:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning!

Just been correcting a Torygraph leader that says that Osborne has presided over the fastest recovery in Europe.

Really how far wrong is that? The only fast bits were under Darling and six years after the crash when we finally started to catch up!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Morning. Labour lead at 1 point on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 2nd December -

Con 32%, (nc)
Lab 33%, (+1)
LD 7%, (-1)
UKIP 16%; (+1)
Grn 7%, (+1)

APP -26 (-6)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Ed Balls statement ahead of Osborne's (very late) Autumn Statement. Doesn't read like a man too worried about the super secret elephant trap Cunning George has planned for tomorrow.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1041885 ... now-failed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Woke up at 7am to radio and the first thing they had on was views from members of the public about what they thought should be in the Autumn Statement... members of the public who were exclusively white van drivers who were going to vote UKIP...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Ed Balls statement ahead of Osborne's (very late) Autumn Statement. Doesn't read like a man too worried about the super secret elephant trap Cunning George has planned for tomorrow.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1041885 ... now-failed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes pretty straightforward stuff. Though I don't think this line quite works
This cost-of-living crisis is why the Chancellor will have to admit he has broken his promise to balance the books by next year
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Apparently Farage didn't have a good time of the young voters debate last night: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ers-debate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

"We're doing really, really well which is why my borrowing targets have gone horribly wrong and we need far more radical cuts in spending"

Have I got the line right?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

"We're doing really, really well which is why my borrowing targets have gone horribly wrong and we need far more radical cuts in spending"

Have I got the line right?
Pretty much, but you missed the bit about nevertheless splurging spending in a few key marginals.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

"Now Britain faces a choice. Do we squander the economic security we have gained, go back to the disastrous decisions on spending and borrowing and welfare that got us into this mess? Or do we finish the job? I say: ‘We stay the course to prosperity’. We support people who want to work hard and get on."

That "welfare" sneaked in there. Dishonest, devious and plain nasty.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@PaulfromYorkshire -as about nuanced as a sledgehammer to the face.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Spacedone wrote:Woke up at 7am to radio and the first thing they had on was views from members of the public about what they thought should be in the Autumn Statement... members of the public who were exclusively white van drivers who were going to vote UKIP...
In fairness, the one they had on just befoe 0800 was Labour, very good and female!
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@PaulfromYorkshire -as about nuanced as a sledgehammer to the face.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:"Now Britain faces a choice. Do we squander the economic security we have gained, go back to the disastrous decisions on spending and borrowing and welfare that got us into this mess? Or do we finish the job? I say: ‘We stay the course to prosperity’. We support people who want to work hard and get on."

That "welfare" sneaked in there. Dishonest, devious and plain nasty.
You've just summarised Jeffery's speech, Paul, if not written it verbatim.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning. How credible are the Yougov polls? Seriously.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Evictions rocket as welfare reforms and rising property prices hit home"
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

citizenJA wrote:Good-morning. How credible are the Yougov polls? Seriously.
As I've mentioned before, I'm clearly a left-oriented voter, and I don't get invited to participate in YouGov's political polls. Make of that what you will.
The truth ferret speaks!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

When the Express question how genuine Osborne is the alarm bells should be ringing in number 11. And 10.

' He barks at corporate tax avoiders in the Budget and conference speeches, only to do virtually nothing'
http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expres ... -statement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all. A goodun from Monbiot.
No wonder landowners are scared. We are starting to learn who owns Britain
Scotland is breaking the cover-up that stifles our political thought. Bring the Highland Spring south

The land reform programme announced last week by the Scottish government is the end of civilised life on Earth, if you believe the corporate press. In a country where 432 people own half the private rural land, all change is Stalinism. The Telegraph has published a string of dire warnings – insisting, for example, that deer stalking and grouse shooting could come to an end if business rates are introduced for sporting estates. Moved to tears yet?

Yes, sporting estates – where the richest people in Britain, or oil sheikhs and oligarchs from elsewhere, shoot grouse and stags – are exempt from business rates, a present from John Major’s government in 1994. David Cameron has been just as generous with our money: as he cuts essential services for the poor, he has almost doubled the public subsidy for English grouse moors, and frozen the price of shotgun licences, at a public cost of £17m a year...

It’s no coincidence that the two most regressive forms of taxation in the UK – council tax banding and the payment of farm subsidies – both favour major owners of property. The capping of council tax bands ensures that the owners of £100m flats in London pay less than the owners of £200,000 houses in Blackburn. Farm subsidies, which remain limitless as a result of the Westminster government’s lobbying, ensure that every household in Britain hands £245 a year to the richest people in the land. The single farm payment system, under which landowners are paid by the hectare, is a reinstatement of a medieval levy called feudal aid, a tax the vassals had to pay to their lords.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Got to own up to waking up late and rather befuddled this morning.

Had a dream in which (horror of horrors) George Osborne featured. He was sitting in a chair in my old office extolling the virtues of community and therapeutic horticultural projects to me ..... go figure as Mr Ohso might say. I will be pondering the 'meaning' of this for the rest of the day. Need more than one cup of tea to recover from it though.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

I will be in work by the time Osborne performs his ''hey, look what I've found down the back of the sofa'' routine, I'll rely on everyone on here to spot the bullshit, a majority of the media won't, not this close to the election.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:And another one.
Hundreds of Army widows owing council tax could be taken to court and forced to pay up in a single instalment by magistrates.

The “vulnerable” women and disabled veterans are among 950,000 in arrears in England after Communities Secretary Eric Pickles axed £500million of aid for low-income households.

Labour uncovered the figures through freedom of information requests to 326 councils now responsible for council tax benefit.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hu ... it-4736909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yet, as StephenDolan rightly says, the BBC will ignore these stories and continue to laud Osborne as a political genius and Cameron as a colossus on the world stage. :fire:
I'm really hoping that the removal of council tax benefit and the bedroom tax will have scuppered votes for the Tories in many quarters that they might not have realised would be so affected ... such as 'vulnerable Army widows'. That's if they put the blame for these moves where it belongs - on the government rather than local authority.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

#1 AutumnStatement
#2 CameronMustGo
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Patrick Butler on the Community Links report I mentioned yesterday

http://www.theguardian.com/society/patr ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom ... -our-rainb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
David Cameron on immigration: “Bloody unicorns, coming here, takin' our rainbows
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@RobertSnozers :D
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://uk.businessinsider.com/a-bizarre ... ss-2014-12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
quote within quote wrote:"This is not as simple as left versus right. It is rather different. The BBC’s political coverage operates on a default presumption of scepticism. Governments propose policy; the BBC subjects those proposals to intense scrutiny. It is reflexively opposed to change. Almost any change. The status quo – being known and therefore endurable – is preferable to the unknown risks of an alternative vision. In this respect it is actually a profoundly conservative institution."
Right.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://uk.businessinsider.com/a-bizarre ... ss-2014-12?
quote within quote wrote:"This is not as simple as left versus right. It is rather different. The BBC’s political coverage operates on a default presumption of scepticism. Governments propose policy; the BBC subjects those proposals to intense scrutiny. It is reflexively opposed to change. Almost any change. The status quo – being known and therefore endurable – is preferable to the unknown risks of an alternative vision. In this respect it is actually a profoundly conservative institution."
Right.
They might want to clarify that with Marr. And Robinson. And Neil. And Keunessberg. And Humphrys. And Smith.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Morning all.
North of the border,3 SNP councillors from Renfrew film themselves burning a copy of the Smith Commission report.
Which has been agreed and signed by the SG.
They burnt it in a bin.
f.i.t.h.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Their final polls for both the Euro elections and Scottish referendum were almost spot on.

Having said that, their regular VI polls do seem to get their raw figures "weighted" to the Tories more often than the opposite.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Their final polls for both the Euro elections and Scottish referendum were almost spot on.

Having said that, their regular VI polls do seem to get their raw figures "weighted" to the Tories more often than the opposite.
Thank you, AK. Those raw Tory figures are heavily weighted. Sometimes it feels as though the entire Tory party is standing on my rib cage. The entire Tory party doesn't hit six whole digits though they're claiming 130,000 members. Perhaps they're counting the ones who use a Tory logo mug. Purchased by Aunt Jane as a Black Friday present. Ah, you shouldn't have, Auntie, really....
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Thank you, AK. Those raw Tory figures are heavily weighted. Sometimes it feels as though the entire Tory party is standing on my rib cage. The entire Tory party doesn't hit six whole digits though they're claiming 130,000 members. Perhaps they're counting the ones who use a Tory logo mug. Purchased by Aunt Jane as a Black Friday present. Ah, you shouldn't have, Auntie, really....
I'd be half tempted to get one as a cruel secret Santa present but for who it's contributing to.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Bit bemused at the prospect of Bryant becoming shadow deputy for DCMS portfolio, if indeed it is true?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

If Osborne spouts some nonsense about a Fiscal Responsibility Act, or some bloody thing else that sounds grand but is rather a pile of steaming cow dung bear this in mind...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... 1417607059" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Oh yeah, Osborne has trapped Labour with his brilliant rhetoric, guess who wrote that? 8-)

Of course it's that commentator who overplays his role in Labour at the height of it's popularity.. Our Dan, who is only a step up from Luke Bozier. :toss:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Before I go to work, can someone keep a tab on the announcements today, which are basically just rehashes of what has been announced already, bound to more than a couple innit?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Bit bemused at the prospect of Bryant becoming shadow deputy for DCMS portfolio, if indeed it is true?
Hasn't he been quite big on press reform and similar stuff?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

6 policies Labour will introduce to help change the lives of disabled people

http://labourlist.org/2014/12/the-6-pol ... ed-people/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

John Edginton ‏@JohnEdginton 10m10 minutes ago
Weakest leader, poorest tactician, least empathic, most slimiest schmoozer, most incompetent administrator ever for a UK PM #CameronMustGo

Good description of Dave. Particularly like Schmoozer. Describes him perfectly.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

James Forsyth
‏@JGForsyth
Miliband on his best PMQs form for a long time, fast and lively stuff.
Pity for him it will be drowned out by the autumn statement
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

David Cameron has said Ed Miliband will look as "awkward as when he ate that bacon sandwich" when he hears the state of the Government's finances in the Autumn Statement.
http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-12- ... -sandwich/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
cameronslobv2.jpg
cameronslobv2.jpg (21.2 KiB) Viewed 14681 times
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

#1 CameronMustGo
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Anyone watching ?
Several people [including Chris Bryant] say Osborne looked pale & unwell.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Autumn Statement back at #1 but still - excellent effort on part of CMG
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Channel 4 News ‏@Channel4News 30 secs31 seconds ago
Osborne: will be continuation of public sector pay restraint in next parliament
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

A completely brilliant article from the New Statesman.

An Immigration Lawyer Reviews 'Paddington'
I still believe in a town called Hope