Tuesday 31st May 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 31st May 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 31st May 2022

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morefternoon, all.

Posting does appear to have somewhat declined here in recent days.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

This week's 15 minute serial after WATO, began yesterday :

How to Steal a Trillion 1 - The Invention of Offshore
" Every year a Trillion dollars is stolen from the world's developing nations. "

Author and journalist Oliver Bullough traces Britain's vital role in the growth of 'offshore' money laundering, talking to historians, whistleblowers, former law enforcement investigators and politicians.

In this episode, he traces the origins of offshoring back to the sleepy City of London of the 1950s. A moment of inspiration fuses with the shock of the Suez Crisis to create the launch of a whole new approach to finance - with consequences that are still playing out right now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0017t8j
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Thanks frog, I might listen, or I might decide it's too depressing.

I suspect our current political situation, being too depressing for words, is the reason for this place being quiet. What is there to say?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Ok, here's something.

On hearing that the govt is cancelling the civil service fast stream, why would the first thing that came to mind be this:

Corbyn haters are more obsessed than Corbyn lovers, imo.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

On the subject of self-harm, typical that RR's reaction to Sunak's package is to ask for the OBR to cost it. Then what?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

à gilsey

Sociology 101 one definition of a sociologist --- " One who goes to the Folies Bergères and looks at the audience"

One of the major movements of our time is the struggle against tax havens which facilitate so much crime and suffering. So might as well see how they came into existence :-)

Off out to enjoy myself, with a prowl in the sea later !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote: Tue 31 May, 2022 1:57 pm Thanks frog, I might listen, or I might decide it's too depressing.

I suspect our current political situation, being too depressing for words, is the reason for this place being quiet. What is there to say?
Well things do seem to be getting "interesting" on the Tory front at least. Though no, any replacement for Johnson isn't likely to be much better.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... dApp_Other
Geidt, who is meant to advise Johnson over whether ministers have breached the code, dodged the question of whether the prime minister himself had done so – apparently for fear of having to resign if Johnson ignored him.

“I have attempted to avoid the independent adviser offering advice to a prime minister about a prime minister’s obligations under his own ministerial code,” he said. “If a prime minister’s judgement is that there is nothing to investigate or no case to answer, he would be bound to reject any such advice, thus forcing the resignation of the independent adviser. Such a circular process could only risk placing the ministerial code in a place of ridicule.”
:? (Not quite sure that he's succeeded ...)