Monday 4th July 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 4th July 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 4th July 2022

Post by Willow904 »

"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Another quiet day then, what new revelations from the sordid Westminster pit I wonder.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

From the G liveblog:
Keir Starmer is to set out his vision for Brexit, promising to remove a series of trade and travel barriers while insisting that the debate on any UK return to the single market or customs union is definitively closed.
I definitely get, and more or less agree with the first, rejoining the single market would probably involve becoming part of the Schengen Area as part of the commitment to freedom of movement, an extremely hard sell to current UK voters. I'm less sure why it's necessary to completely rule out a customs union, though. Not that I'm sure what advantages it would deliver. It would do away with the need for a border in the Irish Sea but that's a bigger concern for the Tories and DUP. The NI protocol as it is atm doesn't appear disastrous for the NI economy. Starmer's approach sounds like a piecemeal package evolved and agreed over time, pretty much what the EU was expecting the UK to be negotiating for from the start and as reflects the fact we were never completely "in" the EU in the first place. This wouldn't be a bad place to end up. Ultimately Labour need the next election to be about something other than Brexit and EU relations, they need the EU to return to the boring footnote that nobody really cares about that it was before the Tories elevated it to "the" issue of a toxic and divisive culture war that was carefully crafted to chip off enough of the Labour vote to propel a floundering Tory party to a majority. Labour can't benefit from reviving this debate and nor does it benefit the country. Constitutional reform, on the other hand, is long overdue and a very worthy issue to focus on, along with climate change, of course, on which Labour really need a bold offer.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The fact is that maybe the only serious chance the Tories have of winning again is to make the next GE another de facto referendum on Brexit.

Its not just Labour who are going to approach the issue cautiously as a result (I think the word "rejoin" is effectively banned in LibDem circles)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Uh oh