Friday 5th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
frightful_oik
Whip

Re: Friday 5th December 2014

Post by frightful_oik »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs ... .html?vp=1
Jose Mourinho: No room for egos in my Chelsea team
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Certainly not! I would guess that Mourinho wouldn't stand for the competition. Incidentally, is it just me, or is he the most enormous bellend?
It is just you! ;-)

Confession time. I've been a Chelsea fan from childhood, their training ground used to be in Mitcham, where I grew up, so we always saw the likes of Osgood, Harris, Bonetti, Dave Sexton etc around. I like Mourinho, he knows how to play the game and I don't just mean on the pitch, but the way he manipulates the media; by acting the bellend (and it is largely an act) the press concentrate on him and leaves the team alone to get on with playing - that nonsense with John Terry few years back * would not have happened with Mourinho at the help.

Doubt that will be a popular opinion, but we're six points clear so do I look worried? :dance:

* Don't get me wrong, I think Terry is a knuckle dragging thug, but racist?
Ah yes but the Special One faces his greatest test in 10 days time when the blues face the mighty Rams. We have nothing to lose and we're better than last season. If we hit our game straight from kick-off...
Besides we'll have the rest of the country* on our side.

* Apart from the perennial losers of Nothingham of course. :D
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs ... .html?vp=1
Jose Mourinho: No room for egos in my Chelsea team
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Certainly not! I would guess that Mourinho wouldn't stand for the competition. Incidentally, is it just me, or is he the most enormous bellend?
It is just you! ;-)

Confession time. I've been a Chelsea fan from childhood, their training ground used to be in Mitcham, where I grew up, so we always saw the likes of Osgood, Harris, Bonetti, Dave Sexton etc around. I like Mourinho, he knows how to play the game and I don't just mean on the pitch, but the way he manipulates the media; by acting the bellend (and it is largely an act) the press concentrate on him and leaves the team alone to get on with playing - that nonsense with John Terry few years back * would not have happened with Mourinho at the help.

Doubt that will be a popular opinion, but we're six points clear so do I look worried? :dance:

I agree with much of the above, however it boils my piss that Mourinho plays the part at all. He's a great manager and there's no need to play such silly games, particularly as it simply adds to the meeja frenzy and detracts from his managerial talents. It plays into the hands of a footballing press that is generally bloody woeful and tabloid in much the same way as Ferguson did. There's plenty to discuss about football, but all that little horses shite and endless attempts to bait other managers just makes him look a bit cheap.

For the record, I'm a City fan (if I'm particularly a fan of any team) and I thought that Chelsea played the perfect defensive game at the Etihad last season, but it was that, and not Mourinho's histrionics, that impressed me.

PS (on edit) - thanks for Frank Lampard; I don't who he pissed off at Chelski, but he's acquitted himself very well at City. Probably the best acquisition since David Silva. Enjoy the 6 point lead whilst you've still got it!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

ohsocynical wrote:Meant to add.

And if they want to know why so many people Tweeted #CameronMustGo, there's a pretty wide range of reasons I'd say.
It has also been pointed out that it now acts as the easy way to access a library of information detailing the lies and faults of the coalition government.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Clanger summaries present:

CMG #1
BBC 92%
CMG spreading awareness 69%

A few brief moments of joy.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The curious case of Stephen Greenhalgh and the Met 'key worker' homes
Why has Boris Johnson’s policy deputy become so protective of the tenants of homes he wants to sell off?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/dave ... rker-homes
This should really come with a massive headline of 'FOUND OUT'.

I posted a link to an article about this a few days ago ... it included details of a woman and her elderly mother who had been sleeping on the floor in their flat for several weeks because, under constant threat of imminent eviction, they had sold off most of their furniture as they had no money to put it into storage ....

These Tory politicians are prepared to sink lower than Hades to get hold of power, any remaining assets, and money ...
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I learned something new about my Linux operating system & software in the posting of the 2014 Miliband Family Merry Christmas photo posted above. I'm grateful. Please enjoy.
Do share - I use Linux and it's a closed book to me. I just press the buttons (often the wrong ones - but I refuse to engage with "Windows").

Edited

Brackets\punctuation
I'll be more than happy to share whatever knowledge I have with you - sitting here going through my mind how I did it I'm drawing a blank - oh - hang on-

on the Flythenest website, go to full editor section you'll have either post a reply or post a message section(s), go to the upload attachment section below that - hit the choose file button - find the image or document you want to include in your message from the dialogue box brought up by that action - hit the add the file button - look at what you've added by hitting the preview button & if you're satisfied, hit submit button.

xx
JA

edited to add - apologies - I literally thought you just mean uploading a picture from some place not currently on your computer as a webpage to be linked with a simple right click of the mouse.
Last edited by citizenJA on Fri 05 Dec, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ErnstRemarx wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Certainly not! I would guess that Mourinho wouldn't stand for the competition. Incidentally, is it just me, or is he the most enormous bellend?
It is just you! ;-)

I agree with much of the above, however it boils my piss that Mourinho plays the part at all. He's a great manager and there's no need to play such silly games, particularly as it simply adds to the meeja frenzy and detracts from his managerial talents. It plays into the hands of a footballing press that is generally bloody woeful and tabloid in much the same way as Ferguson did. There's plenty to discuss about football, but all that little horses shite and endless attempts to bait other managers just makes him look a bit cheap.

For the record, I'm a City fan (if I'm particularly a fan of any team) and I thought that Chelsea played the perfect defensive game at the Etihad last season, but it was that, and not Mourinho's histrionics, that impressed me.

PS (on edit) - thanks for Frank Lampard; I don't who he pissed off at Chelski, but he's acquitted himself very well at City. Probably the best acquisition since David Silva. Enjoy the 6 point lead whilst you've still got it!
I was surprised when they let Frank go like that. I'm sure there were good reasons, but he is still a damn fine player and was always a steadying influence; personally I'd rather have seen JT go than Frank. Still, we got Didier back, which is no bad thing.

Get your point about Mourinho vs The Press but, as I say, I think it has paid off in previous years so I have no issues with it. And, to be honest, watching him wind up Wenger (among others) never gets old.

@frightful_oik, the mistake many of the 'big' teams make is to underestimate the 'smaller' teams, often with unfortunate results (especially in cup competitions); I was living in Peterborough the year that Posh ignominiously dumped Liverpool out of (I think) the League Cup. Mourinho doesn't, and I don't and I'm sure it will be a good match
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Eric Pickles has been caught up in a bizarre political argument over claims he has been exaggerating the size of his Russian fanbase.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/pre ... lli-myself
The fat controller found out. :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Linux is basically unix tamed for the home - domesticated, I suppose you'd say. I have it on one of my PCs and were I to upgrade my no. 2 PC now, it would be to Ubuntu or similar, as Windows 7-8-9 (whatever it is now) is a memory hungry pig of an OS. The only reason I reboot my Ubuntu box is to check it'll still do it; with Win7, it's reboot every day unless you want to watch it slowly die before your eyes. Having said that, it's still better than the wretched Vista that MsRemarx has on her laptop. I've never seen a PC run so slowly, it's almost like Micro$oft didn't give a shit what rubbish they produce...
I use Linux for advanced networking (production scale hardware accelerated 10G stuff). Why anybody would use it for a home computer is beyond me (unless they are an IT or networking hobbyist).

Windows 7 runs brilliantly on my home machine and it is 5 years old. For the laptop go to Win 7 and get some more RAM.
Well, TE, one good reason is the paucity of performance problems you'll get with linux. The one running Ubuntu is about 10 years old and has 1GB of RAM - and it still fires up and runs quicker than the Win7 box with four times as much RAM and a far faster (and younger) processor. Another that springs to mind is freedom from malware/trojans/etc. Granted, it's not immunity, but it's a lot easier to handle it than in Win7. Memory seems to be released back more efficiently than Win7, and hence little need to reboot.

I'll certainly acknowledge that Windows has improved considerably in the last 10 years, it would have perished had it not. But unix was always reliable and solid and all that was missing was the GUI shop window for ordinary people. It now has that, and what's more it costs peanuts compared to a Windows licence.

I'm pretty agnostic about the the issues overall, as both work in their own ways, it's just that I can rely on linux in the same way I can't Windows. The only downsides I can see are (a) your favourite Windows app may well not run on linux and (b) if it does go tits up, then you're in a whole new world of pain, with very few people who can directly help out.
(my bold)

I back up everything & reinstall another Linux operating system. It gets better, I learn more. I've reinstalled another system twice. The mistake I made was to play with what was loaded causing fragmentation, I think.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Eric Pickles has been caught up in a bizarre political argument over claims he has been exaggerating the size of his Russian fanbase.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/pre ... lli-myself
The fat controller found out. :lol:
Do you think he's been taking marketing advice from Shapps / Green?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Do share - I use Linux and it's a closed book to me. I just press the buttons (often the wrong ones - but I refuse to engage with "Windows").

Edited

Brackets\punctuation
Linux is basically unix tamed for the home - domesticated, I suppose you'd say. I have it on one of my PCs and were I to upgrade my no. 2 PC now, it would be to Ubuntu or similar, as Windows 7-8-9 (whatever it is now) is a memory hungry pig of an OS. The only reason I reboot my Ubuntu box is to check it'll still do it; with Win7, it's reboot every day unless you want to watch it slowly die before your eyes. Having said that, it's still better than the wretched Vista that MsRemarx has on her laptop. I've never seen a PC run so slowly, it's almost like Micro$oft didn't give a shit what rubbish they produce...
I use Linux for advanced networking (production scale hardware accelerated 10G stuff). Why anybody would use it for a home computer is beyond me (unless they are an IT or networking hobbyist).

Windows 7 runs brilliantly on my home machine and it is 5 years old. For the laptop go to Win 7 and get some more RAM.
(my bold)

I use it because it's free & Windows isn't.

My partner is in IT though my numerous temping employment gigs have taught me to learn quickly. One of my strengths in the workplace is being able to liaise between IT help personnel & administrative staff. I acted as a kind of translator - I love to learn new things for their own sake; that kind of enthusiasm is largely irresistible because it can't be faked. People like to share what they know when someone is eager to learn. I'm not bragging about my love learning for its own sake - I'm not wise, I need an administrator to best channel my time & talents.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/why ... go-4745427

piece from the Mirror on CMG
another poll at the end 63% think CMG is spreading awareness; 38% think it's giving the left a bad name. Mirror piece starts with the not at all sanctiommonious:
Of course it does.

It still, IMO, goes no way at all to explaining the obvious media blackout.
another poll at the end 63% think CMG is spreading awareness; 38% think it's giving the left a bad name
And the remaining 204% of us think that perhaps someone should have proof read/sub edited the stats prior to publication...
Poll now at 68 (spreading awareness) 32 (giving left a bad name).
You'd think that an article proudly proclaiming 'Fact Checked' would actually be something in depth rather than cherry picking 12 random tweets to take apart.
In reply to The Mirror.

1. David Cameron acts like he won an election. OUR VERDICT: HE DID WIN THE ELECTION
No, he didn't - he led the party with the most MP's. He is only in power because the Lib Dems betrayed their voters and went into power with them.

2. The public does not want privatised services. OUR VERDICT: THAT'S TRUE
I'll agree with that.

3. People died in WWII to found the NHS. OUR VERDICT: NO THEY DIDN'T
I'll agree with that, although the NHS was founded in a time of great austerity and it does not need to be dismantled because of austerity now.

4. The deficit going up. OUR VERDICT: NO
From the figures they give, I can only agree with this, but Osborne completely failed in his target to reduce it.

5. Child poverty is going up. OUR VERDICT: IT'S COMPLICATED
'Overall the proportion of children living in poverty has slightly decreased if we don't factor in housing costs, and gone up when we do factor in the cost of housing.'
You say this in your article. It's gone up, then. It's true. Don't say it's complicated.

6. Any number of pictures of the empty House of Commons. OUR VERDICT: NO. JUST NO.
I'll go with your verdict but in a rather less condescending way, I would hope that when the Commons is empty that MPs are doing other work for their constituency, working on their brief, etc (and not doing other, paid work).

7. This picture of this house. OUR VERDICT: NO
It's Buckingham Palace. The tweet says 'RT if you think this house should pay Mansion Tax and have their benefits capped.'
I take this to not literally mean the benefits cap, but the total amount paid to the Royals. They are wealthy and we should not be giving them any taxpayers money. I call that as true.

8. Bankers get away with murder*. OUR VERDICT: YOU CAN'T BLAME DAVID CAMERON
Yes, you can, they've done nothing about regulating the banks. They kicked that off into the long grass to start in 2019

9. This front page.OUR VERDICT: OK
It's your own front page and it's only ok?

10. Nobody reported George Osborne looking spaced out in the House of Commons. OUR VERDICT: NOT TRUE
Almost nobody has reported it, just because you've used it a couple of times does not mean it is being reported on as much as bacon sandwiches, and other trivia. My verdict is true.

11. David Cameron can "hear cyber-screams". OUR VERDICT: NO
This is a joke - Cameron hearing 'cyber screams', how can you fact check that?! You're making a nonsense of the term 'fact check'. Stop it.

12. The hash tag is worth millions.OUR VERDICT: NO
I'll go with that, no idea how you can put a price tag on a hashtag.

So, some of the tweets quote inaccurate figures, some show an empty House of Commons - what are the actual proportions? It's no good making them 2 of the 12 tweets you investigate. Fact checking means actually looking at the data and saying whether it's accurate or not. It does not mean cherry picking your data and writing something to fit your own agenda.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2h2 hours ago
On current polling the Tories will, surely, suffer net losses of more than 18 seats http://bit.ly/1vw4e3x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

@WelshIan - thanks for that!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jamie Reed @jreedmp · 2h 2 hours ago
Thanks for asking what I was doing behind the back of the fridge in the first place...Jamie Reed @jreedmp · 2h 2 hours ago

In my defence, I was looking for Bulgarians and I didn't know it was a fridge. I thought it was a mosque.
Jamie Reed is on a real roll on his Twitter timeline ... now composing pseudo Ukip / Tory rant letters to the BBC. Very funny.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

I run the latest stable Ubuntu on my desktop and never mess around with the internals. It's rock solid and dependable. I do mess about on my laptop, fiddling with the hard drive partitions, messing round with the development graphics drivers and such like and I do get problems. But, like citizenJA, I just reinstall it or a newer version, or try out another flavour of linux altogether. Moral of the tale? Don't mess around with the system and you likely won't get problems.

There are many, many advantages over Windows : apart from being free and open source, not having viruses, trojans, malware, root-kits etc so not having to run all the anti-virus nonsense all the time, is that all the software I use comes from a known and secure place, not some random site on the internet, and I know I can trust it and easily remove it if I don't like it, without leaving completely unremoveable bits of it lying around forever. Oh, and the updates happen when you want them to, all in one go, not whenever the program wants to, when you are in the middle of something important. And if you do mess up, you don't have to worry about not having a copy of windows and not being able to get the recovery drive to work, because, so long as you have your data backed up then you just reinstal linux and hook up to your data and favourite websites again.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

WelshIan wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: And the remaining 204% of us think that perhaps someone should have proof read/sub edited the stats prior to publication...
Poll now at 68 (spreading awareness) 32 (giving left a bad name).
You'd think that an article proudly proclaiming 'Fact Checked' would actually be something in depth rather than cherry picking 12 random tweets to take apart.
In reply to The Mirror.

1. David Cameron acts like he won an election. OUR VERDICT: HE DID WIN THE ELECTION
No, he didn't - he led the party with the most MP's. He is only in power because the Lib Dems betrayed their voters and went into power with them.

2. The public does not want privatised services. OUR VERDICT: THAT'S TRUE
I'll agree with that.

3. People died in WWII to found the NHS. OUR VERDICT: NO THEY DIDN'T
I'll agree with that, although the NHS was founded in a time of great austerity and it does not need to be dismantled because of austerity now.

4. The deficit going up. OUR VERDICT: NO
From the figures they give, I can only agree with this, but Osborne completely failed in his target to reduce it.

5. Child poverty is going up. OUR VERDICT: IT'S COMPLICATED
'Overall the proportion of children living in poverty has slightly decreased if we don't factor in housing costs, and gone up when we do factor in the cost of housing.'
You say this in your article. It's gone up, then. It's true. Don't say it's complicated.

6. Any number of pictures of the empty House of Commons. OUR VERDICT: NO. JUST NO.
I'll go with your verdict but in a rather less condescending way, I would hope that when the Commons is empty that MPs are doing other work for their constituency, working on their brief, etc (and not doing other, paid work).

7. This picture of this house. OUR VERDICT: NO
It's Buckingham Palace. The tweet says 'RT if you think this house should pay Mansion Tax and have their benefits capped.'
I take this to not literally mean the benefits cap, but the total amount paid to the Royals. They are wealthy and we should not be giving them any taxpayers money. I call that as true.

8. Bankers get away with murder*. OUR VERDICT: YOU CAN'T BLAME DAVID CAMERON
Yes, you can, they've done nothing about regulating the banks. They kicked that off into the long grass to start in 2019

9. This front page.OUR VERDICT: OK
It's your own front page and it's only ok?

10. Nobody reported George Osborne looking spaced out in the House of Commons. OUR VERDICT: NOT TRUE
Almost nobody has reported it, just because you've used it a couple of times does not mean it is being reported on as much as bacon sandwiches, and other trivia. My verdict is true.

11. David Cameron can "hear cyber-screams". OUR VERDICT: NO
This is a joke - Cameron hearing 'cyber screams', how can you fact check that?! You're making a nonsense of the term 'fact check'. Stop it.

12. The hash tag is worth millions.OUR VERDICT: NO
I'll go with that, no idea how you can put a price tag on a hashtag.

So, some of the tweets quote inaccurate figures, some show an empty House of Commons - what are the actual proportions? It's no good making them 2 of the 12 tweets you investigate. Fact checking means actually looking at the data and saying whether it's accurate or not. It does not mean cherry picking your data and writing something to fit your own agenda.
Mmmm.

I'm thinking it took hours of scrolling to dig up those particular Tweets. The way they are worded isn't the norm.

The ones I saw about child poverty mainly quoted the figures for children hungry this Christmas and the rising number of families using food banks.

I never saw any links to news items about George's 'state' in the HofC the other day and it certainly wasn't big news in

The Telegraph or on the BBC.

References to bankers mainly pointed out their greed and getting away with it.

They failed to mention the disability Tweets and they conveniently ignored all the other factual and true Tweets pointing out Cameron's broken promises, inept performance, cruelty, lies and arrogance to name a few.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jamie Reed @jreedmp · 13m 13 minutes ago
Dear Poisoned Views,

I note that the pro-gay European agenda has now moved beyond the BBC weather forecast and is now being relentlessly..

Jamie Reed @jreedmp · 12m 12 minutes ago
...pursued by your so-called 'light entertainment' department. 'Light on their feet' department, more like. Why my wife and I should be...

Jamie Reed @jreedmp · 10m 10 minutes ago
...forced to endure the spectacle of two co-habiting men, occasionally dressed as women is beyond me, whether or not they are indeed...

Jamie Reed @jreedmp · 9m 9 minutes ago
...both called Ronnie or not. I'd like to make it clear that sharing a desk is as good as sharing a bed and that it is now only surely...

Jamie Reed @jreedmp · 5m 5 minutes ago
..a matter of time before you and your European masters force Irish homosexuals upon people like me as often as once a week. Mark my words..

Jamie Reed @jreedmp · 2m 2 minutes ago
...this is exactly what Mr.Heath has in mind for all of us. If this continues, my wife and I shall be forced to watch ITV.

Yours,
F.A. Rage
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jack of Kent ‏@JackofKent 2h2 hours ago
Prison books ban.

Introduced by Attorney-General.

Defended to hilt by Lord Chancellor.

Quashed as unlawful and "strange" by High Court.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ye Gods Cleggy.

That's just how I looked after too many rum cocktails on an empty stomach back in 2004, waiting while the barbecue charcoal got hot enough to actually cook some food to blot the alcohol.
While I was still happy, eyes just getting pink and focusing into infinity and just before I started crying uncontrollably because I was so happy and loved everyone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rob Merrick ‏@Rob_Merrick 5h5 hours ago
Are the Conservatives now boycotting Radio "Road to Wigan Pier" Four? Both Home Office minister & Justice Sec "unavailable" for #wato .....

Beth RigbyVerified account
‏@BethRigby
@Rob_Merrick Matt Hancock did daily pols

Rob Merrick ‏@Rob_Merrick 34m34 minutes ago
@BethRigby Yes, I heard how the forecast "£360bn borrowing binge" was going to happen...."in a sustainable way" :-)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Iain Duncan Smith's Universal Credit Set For Even More Delays
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... mg00000067
Iain Duncan Smith's much-delayed welfare project, Universal Credit, is set to take even longer to roll out across the country, the government's budget watchdog has concluded.

In a damning verdict on the welfare secretary's flagship scheme, the Office for Budget Responsibility judged that current forecasts for the rollout of the new benefit, which aims to combine six benefits or tax credits into one single payment, is too optimistic...

Meanwhile, charities have accused the chancellor of "torpedoing" Duncan Smith's flagship welfare scheme by deciding in his Autumn Statement to freeze Universal Credit work allowances - the money people can earn before their benefit starts to be withdrawn - for another year.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tonight Mr Riots will be partaking of Old Speckled Hen and Bishops Finger. He's started with the speckled hen because he's a bit wary of the finger.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

mikems wrote:I run the latest stable Ubuntu on my desktop and never mess around with the internals. It's rock solid and dependable. I do mess about on my laptop, fiddling with the hard drive partitions, messing round with the development graphics drivers and such like and I do get problems. But, like citizenJA, I just reinstall it or a newer version, or try out another flavour of linux altogether. Moral of the tale? Don't mess around with the system and you likely won't get problems.

There are many, many advantages over Windows : apart from being free and open source, not having viruses, trojans, malware, root-kits etc so not having to run all the anti-virus nonsense all the time, is that all the software I use comes from a known and secure place, not some random site on the internet, and I know I can trust it and easily remove it if I don't like it, without leaving completely unremoveable bits of it lying around forever. Oh, and the updates happen when you want them to, all in one go, not whenever the program wants to, when you are in the middle of something important. And if you do mess up, you don't have to worry about not having a copy of windows and not being able to get the recovery drive to work, because, so long as you have your data backed up then you just reinstal linux and hook up to your data and favourite websites again.
Windows won't restart stuff either, mine never does as it is set up to prevent it. It is a myth that Linux isn't vulnerable to root kits, malware and general Trojans, they are less common but they definitely exist. Given that more and more Cloud servers are moving to Linux and therefore targets for attack we can probably expect some very sophisticated attacks to emerge in the next few years.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:Tonight Mr Riots will be partaking of Old Speckled Hen and Bishops Finger. He's started with the speckled hen because he's a bit wary of the finger.
Old Speckled Hangover - a timeless classic.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

ohsocynical wrote:They failed to mention the disability Tweets and they conveniently ignored all the other factual and true Tweets pointing out Cameron's broken promises, inept performance, cruelty, lies and arrogance to name a few.
At the end of the day the Mirror is as much a part of the MSM as the Tory rags and they don't like the idea of a grassroots movement that is sharing information that is glossed over or completely ignored by the 'professionals'.

That dig about scrutiny for example. They are trying to imply that the information on CMG hasn't been checked for truth or accuracy and fair enough some of the wilder stuff hasn't but many many more of the tweets are taking their information from other sources; from Government reports, from think-tanks, from the unions, from local newspapers, from the OBR, IFS, Trussell Trust, even... the Daily Mirror itself.

The scrutiny has already happened, we are just sharing it to a wider audience than than it has received before because the MSM as a whole has utterly failed to hold the Government to account despite there being more than enough damning evidence against them.

I'm under no illusions that CMG will change anything. We might just be preaching to the choir and certainly the Tories don't care what we think about them, they never have. But the one good thing CMG has done is show us that there is a choir, that there are a lot of people out there who have noticed all the regressive policies and the lies and are as angry as we are.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Tonight Mr Riots will be partaking of Old Speckled Hen and Bishops Finger. He's started with the speckled hen because he's a bit wary of the finger.
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Twop Twips ‏@TwopTwips 18m18 minutes ago
NIGEL FARAGE. Avoid offensive tits being seen out in the open by keeping UKIP public appearances to a minimum. (via @Bromptonite)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Spacedone wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:They failed to mention the disability Tweets and they conveniently ignored all the other factual and true Tweets pointing out Cameron's broken promises, inept performance, cruelty, lies and arrogance to name a few.
At the end of the day the Mirror is as much a part of the MSM as the Tory rags and they don't like the idea of a grassroots movement that is sharing information that is glossed over or completely ignored by the 'professionals'.

That dig about scrutiny for example. They are trying to imply that the information on CMG hasn't been checked for truth or accuracy and fair enough some of the wilder stuff hasn't but many many more of the tweets are taking their information from other sources; from Government reports, from think-tanks, from the unions, from local newspapers, from the OBR, IFS, Trussell Trust, even... the Daily Mirror itself.

The scrutiny has already happened, we are just sharing it to a wider audience than than it has received before because the MSM as a whole has utterly failed to hold the Government to account despite there being more than enough damning evidence against them.

I'm under no illusions that CMG will change anything. We might just be preaching to the choir and certainly the Tories don't care what we think about them, they never have. But the one good thing CMG has done is show us that there is a choir, that there are a lot of people out there who have noticed all the regressive policies and the lies and are as angry as we are.
Agree. Once our only chance of protest was the vote but we now have social media where our voice can be heard as well. Thanks to Twitter we can bypass the Press and TV and shove a finger up at MPs who have run roughshod over us. They need to get over it, because being hauled over the coals is here to stay.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And worse still Ohso - he's going for the Bishops Finger in the bath. I will probably have to go in and fish him out - addled and soggy. Lovely image there for you all.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Spacedone wrote:I'm under no illusions that CMG will change anything. We might just be preaching to the choir and certainly the Tories don't care what we think about them, they never have. But the one good thing CMG has done is show us that there is a choir, that there are a lot of people out there who have noticed all the regressive policies and the lies and are as angry as we are.
Will it change anything? An interesting question; it could be argued that it's predecessor, #WeBackEd, may have helped steady the ship when that raft of "Alan Johnson for Leader" fabrications was doing the rounds - obviously I have no data to back that up but it was noticeable that the stories, designed to breed uncertainty and drive a wedge into Labour ranks, petered out when that one started trending (i.e. when they realised the BS wasn't working).

Personally I think CMG has changed things, in much the same way #VoteYes boosted the Indy vote; it gives people a focus, it gives them a voice that isn't controlled by the meeja and it serves notice on the meeja (and the Tories) that their lies won't go unanswered any longer. The increasingly shrill dismissal of it by such disparate sources as the despised Havisham Hodges, Sarah Trollaston and even the Mirror (and if Blackops Belam is behind that one I shall be having words) betrays more than a little nervousness imo.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rachel Reeves ‏@RachelReevesMP 16m16 minutes ago
I'm on @BBCAnyQuestions this evening at 8pm with @dimbleby_jd @EricPickles, @MarkJLittlewood & Mark Serwotka #bbcaq
Well that's quite an interesting mix. I hope Serwotka keeps Reeves honest ... and shows up Pickles and Littlewood as lightweights!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
mikems wrote:I run the latest stable Ubuntu on my desktop and never mess around with the internals. It's rock solid and dependable. I do mess about on my laptop, fiddling with the hard drive partitions, messing round with the development graphics drivers and such like and I do get problems. But, like citizenJA, I just reinstall it or a newer version, or try out another flavour of linux altogether. Moral of the tale? Don't mess around with the system and you likely won't get problems.

Windows won't restart stuff either, mine never does as it is set up to prevent it. It is a myth that Linux isn't vulnerable to root kits, malware and general Trojans, they are less common but they definitely exist. Given that more and more Cloud servers are moving to Linux and therefore targets for attack we can probably expect some very sophisticated attacks to emerge in the next few years.
Mikems, TE, thank you both. Mikems' experience with Linux is mine as well. Good information from you TE, about malware existing & with greater use of Cloud servers more attacks may result.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Will it change anything? An interesting question; it could be argued that it's predecessor, #WeBackEd, may have helped steady the ship when that raft of "Alan Johnson for Leader" fabrications was doing the rounds - obviously I have no data to back that up but it was noticeable that the stories, designed to breed uncertainty and drive a wedge into Labour ranks, petered out when that one started trending (i.e. when they realised the BS wasn't working).

Personally I think CMG has changed things, in much the same way #VoteYes boosted the Indy vote; it gives people a focus, it gives them a voice that isn't controlled by the meeja and it serves notice on the meeja (and the Tories) that their lies won't go unanswered any longer. The increasingly shrill dismissal of it by such disparate sources as the despised Havisham Hodges, Sarah Trollaston and even the Mirror (and if Blackops Belam is behind that one I shall be having words) betrays more than a little nervousness imo.
Well it's already changed my attitude to twitter and media habits, so my suspicion is yest it will change something. Is just a question of how best to use it. Organised tweetchats? I don't bother with the G, I or BBC anymore, and never thought I would hear myself say that. I can get better info in the twitter and blogspheres and rely on FTN for a lot of it!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Montgomerie ن​​ @montie · 4m 4 minutes ago
I agree with Nigel Evans. Mark Pritchard's reputation dragged through the gutter. And I bet no charges follow... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
What sort of crystal ball has he got?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LeftBreastRightTit.jpg
LeftBreastRightTit.jpg (36.88 KiB) Viewed 11646 times
Owen Smith MP retweeted
The DM Reporter ‏@DMReporter 4h4 hours ago
BREASTFEEDING: UKIP release infographic to 'clarify their position.'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Spacedone wrote:I'm under no illusions that CMG will change anything. We might just be preaching to the choir and certainly the Tories don't care what we think about them, they never have. But the one good thing CMG has done is show us that there is a choir, that there are a lot of people out there who have noticed all the regressive policies and the lies and are as angry as we are.
Will it change anything? An interesting question; it could be argued that it's predecessor, #WeBackEd, may have helped steady the ship when that raft of "Alan Johnson for Leader" fabrications was doing the rounds - obviously I have no data to back that up but it was noticeable that the stories, designed to breed uncertainty and drive a wedge into Labour ranks, petered out when that one started trending (i.e. when they realised the BS wasn't working).

(my bold)

Exactly. The Tweets I read were from real people, describing with brevity indisputable problems current government policies have caused in their lives - sick & disabled people fighting for their lives in hospital & letters from DWP come sanctioning them for not going to enough interviews for jobs...this is real life, our friends suffer.
CMG has made an impact - Cameron Must Go.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

On Twitter more video of Osborne in Downing St with some carol singers. He's doing funny jaw movements and comments from those who say they've been there say it's a sure fire sign he's doing drugs and one presumes heavily.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I agree with Nigel Evans. Mark Pritchard's reputation dragged through the gutter. And I bet no charges follow... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Can we tweet him back.

Rape is a serious crime, you have no idea what may or may not have happened, wind your neck in.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Will it change anything? An interesting question; it could be argued that it's predecessor, #WeBackEd, may have helped steady the ship when that raft of "Alan Johnson for Leader" fabrications was doing the rounds - obviously I have no data to back that up but it was noticeable that the stories, designed to breed uncertainty and drive a wedge into Labour ranks, petered out when that one started trending (i.e. when they realised the BS wasn't working).

Well it's already changed my attitude to twitter and media habits, so my suspicion is yest it will change something. Is just a question of how best to use it. Organised tweetchats? I don't bother with the G, I or BBC anymore, and never thought I would hear myself say that. I can get better info in the twitter and blogspheres and rely on FTN for a lot of it!
It's already a good place to disseminate information so maybe we can spread some of that knowledge we've collated elsewhere on FTN to a wider audience, as links to the sources or perhaps in the form of infographics that highlight the salient points on a specific issue?

I've noticed that some people are already using it to encourage people to register to vote and to use that vote and most especially not to fall for the "they're all the same" meme.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Spacedone wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:

It's already a good place to disseminate information so maybe we can spread some of that knowledge we've collated elsewhere on FTN to a wider audience, as links to the sources or perhaps in the form of infographics that highlight the salient points on a specific issue?

I've noticed that some people are already using it to encourage people to register to vote and to use that vote and most especially not to fall for the "they're all the same" meme.
It might make a difference to turnout. If everybody who tweeted is reminded to get off their arse and vote it might even break pollsters models.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Can we tweet him back.

Rape is a serious crime, you have no idea what may or may not have happened, wind your neck in.
It is people in his line of work who own the gutter and do the dragging.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Changes in the Older Care Home Population at Local Authority Level between 2001 and 2011
This product is designated as National Statistics (ONS)

Part of 2011 Census Analysis, Changes in the Older Care Home Resident Population at Local Authority Level between 2001 and 2011 Release
Released: 05 December 2014
The greatest decline in the number of residents in care homes was in the South West, from 37,967 to 34,846, a fall of 8.2%. This may be because this region saw the greatest proportional increase in unpaid carers between 2001 and 2011.

Interestingly, the greatest rise in care home residents was in London (from 20,519 to 22,454, an increase of 9.4%), which also saw the greatest decline in the proportion of unpaid carers.

Analysis of unpaid care found that the number of unpaid carers in England and Wales increased by about 600,000 between 2001 and 2011.

It is possible that this growth in unpaid carers is partly responsible for the relatively small change in the care home resident population aged 65 and over (0.3% or 800 people in England and Wales).

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/20 ... r--2001-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at the number of people caring for others in an unpaid capacity. Are these people independently wealthy?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

The attempt to browbeat and threaten the BBC, flushed with the experience of temporarily rediscovering their spine again, back into submission has been noticed.

George Osborne’s BBC attack branded ‘seriously unacceptable’
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... accaptable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben Bradshaw, the former culture secretary, said Osborne was trying to scare the BBC and warned it was part of a wider drive by Conservatives to intimidate the public broadcaster before voters go to the polls next May.

The MP, who is a member of the House of Commons culture, media and sport committee said the BBC needed to stand firm against such accusations of bias because the level of political aggression directed against the public service broadcaster ahead of the election was “going to get worse”.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/loc ... me-8236822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hammersmith and Fulham scrap homecare charges.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Chlorine chicken, hormone beef? European fears over American 'Frankenfood' imports

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 06889.html
TTIP isn't just about the NHS....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@CitizenJ so if I've interpretated that information correctly ,unlike England and Wales generally,the number of family carers has declined in London.Carers Allowance is of course included in the benefit cap.