Friday 5th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Re: Friday 5th December 2014

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Oh FFS!!!! After ''Miliband in crisis'' leading numerous radio and news reports the BBC are accused of bias, they've biased by Christ, this is a joke.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... d-BBC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Comments BTL on that article are hysterical, every single one written by a clone of the Major from Fawlty Towers. My particular one was the poster complaining that the QT answers are full of extreme Left wingers; given that we know they've been packing the front rows full of UKIP supporters and candidates how far to the Right is that poster that he considers Kippers "extreme Lefties"? :wall:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Blair has given an interview to the NYT, some head scratching stuff in it, doesn't like safe seats, because they don't cater to the centre ground, it was safe seats that won him three elections.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Politico Daily ‏@Politico_Daily 15m15 minutes ago
Farage: Breastfeeding mothers should "sit in the corner" rather than feed their babies in an "ostentatious" way http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... orner.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

How appalling?
To be completely fair to Farage on this, I'm not a massive fan of public biology and still recoil at the memory of a colleague breast-feeding at a departmental meeting, many years ago.
Sorry to disagree with you Tiny,but as a former midwife,hv and mum(well,I'm still a mum)I find the thought of you recoiling at even the memory of a woman breastfeeding in public pretty repulsive.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:I see I have a coat slung across the back of a nearby chair - I could easily reach it if I tried.
Please no. Just use it to cover any indiscreet areas of flesh and stay around ;-)
Will take more than that. This is the only place I can read more than three lines of these days.
On flesh, my aversion to public biology does not permit me to have actual flesh. I have to exist only in hologram form to avoid offending myself.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Rebecca wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Politico Daily ‏@Politico_Daily 15m15 minutes ago
Farage: Breastfeeding mothers should "sit in the corner" rather than feed their babies in an "ostentatious" way http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... orner.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

How appalling?
To be completely fair to Farage on this, I'm not a massive fan of public biology and still recoil at the memory of a colleague breast-feeding at a departmental meeting, many years ago.
Sorry to disagree with you Tiny,but as a former midwife,hv and mum(well,I'm still a mum)I find the thought of you recoiling at even the memory of a woman breastfeeding in public pretty repulsive.
Each to their own. I didn't like seeing someone breastfeeding at a meeting at work. Some women don't like watching football. So what?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Grayling's prison book ban has been quashed.
For more info on that:
Victory: Court overturns prisoner book ban
http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2014/12/ ... r-book-ban
which includes this dynamite sentence ...
Lawyers pointed out that the case would have been much harder to bring if Grayling had already forced through his changes to judicial review, which return to the Lords next Tuesday.

Even under the current rules, there was no legal aid available and lawyers acted pro bono.
Grayling is the nastiest piece of work ... this was an utterly gratuitous ban ... purely for extra punishment. Someone tell me he might get booted out in 2015 ... please???
Working on the wild side.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
For more info on that:
Lawyers pointed out that the case would have been much harder to bring if Grayling had already forced through his changes to judicial review, which return to the Lords next Tuesday.

Even under the current rules, there was no legal aid available and lawyers acted pro bono.
Grayling is the nastiest piece of work ... this was an utterly gratuitous ban ... purely for extra punishment. Someone tell me he might get booted out in 2015 ... please???
On the upside lawyers hate him so much they will soon be paying their clients for the pleasure of humiliating him in court.
Release the Guardvarks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

RobertSnozers wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Oh FFS!!!! After ''Miliband in crisis'' leading numerous radio and news reports the BBC are accused of bias, they've biased by Christ, this is a joke.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... d-BBC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's the narrative, same as ever. The right has long since worked out that if it bombards the BBC with accusations of left leaning bias, the Beeb will overcompensate to try and keep everyone happy, with the willing support of the Tory placemen like Marr, Robinson etc etc. It was Robert Peston, that militant Trotskyite, who pointed out how systematic the BBC's overcompensation towards the right was. Instead of being placated, they scent blood and have ramped up the attacks.
The crazy thing is though that the BBC were pretty much verbatim reporting the words from the Executive Summary from the OBR, established by Osborne himself.
As Chart 1.1 illustrates, total public spending is now projected to fall to 35.2 per cent of GDP in 2019-20, taking it below the previous post-war lows reached in 1957-58 and 1999-00 to what would probably be its lowest level in 80 years.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

StephenDolan wrote:

" One senior Tory MP suggested there was a risk that unless the BBC was scrupulously fair in its reporting it could drive voters “into the arms of Labour”, and even find its future funding arrangements affected. "

Two things. Firstly, the BBC haven't been scrupulously fair in its reporting, be it the NHS march during the Conservative party conference or the Stafford save our hospital march amongst others.
Secondly, future funding decision is entwined with how the BBC reports on the government? Smells like state controls upon the reporting freedoms.
Exactly. In which case we'd be better of without it.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

rebeccariots2 wrote:
For more info on that:

Not a hope I'm afraid
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 11.27.23.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 11.27.23.png (41.59 KiB) Viewed 12806 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Huffingdon Post on Andy Burnham.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... 71898.html

Asked if he could rule out continued ambitions to lead the party, he said: "It would be odd for me to say that. No one knows. I'm doing the job I love. I'm proud to do it for Ed. It's all I'm focused on. I can't say what life will throw up in the future, but I'm focused on helping Ed, making Ed the next prime minster and getting back in."
Personally do not see him as leadership type. Unlike Ed who underneath pleasant exterior is hard as nails.
How does that justify the spin CCO have put on it? Of course, it doesn't.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Agree Burnham quote doesn't justify the spin, but - given the world is as we know it to be - it might nevertheless be considered unwise. Depends when he actually said it of course.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
For more info on that:

Not a hope I'm afraid
Oh dear - it'll have to be the wax dolls then.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Huffingdon Post on Andy Burnham.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... 71898.html

Asked if he could rule out continued ambitions to lead the party, he said: "It would be odd for me to say that. No one knows. I'm doing the job I love. I'm proud to do it for Ed. It's all I'm focused on. I can't say what life will throw up in the future, but I'm focused on helping Ed, making Ed the next prime minster and getting back in."
Personally do not see him as leadership type. Unlike Ed who underneath pleasant exterior is hard as nails.
How does that justify the spin CCO have put on it? Of course, it doesn't.
He doesn't know what life will bring up in the future! Proof right there, he's sharpening his knife! weak, wierd Ed to be stabbed in the back like he did his brother, perfect [\Sarcasm]
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I know we don't like him. But he's coined a term that will stick with me here ... Sado-economics. Spot on.
Austin Mitchell ‏@AVMitchell2010 9m9 minutes ago
ILO says British workers suffered greater fall in real wages. Than any other G20 country because of Sado-economics.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

WelshIan wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:The recently devolved railway franchise is likely to be run on a not for profit model*, a Welsh Government minister has announced, already there are squeals of anguish from Conservatives.
Preventing private businesses from running Welsh railways is another example of Labour's ideological aversion to the private sector and inability to create wealth and prosperity for the Welsh economy.
:D

They said the same when the WG took over Cardiff Airport, and IIRC footfall there is up by 11%?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ce-8230827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*Which if I not mistaken is more than them arch progressives the SNP did?
Welsh Water is also not for profit, all we need now is for electricity/gas to go the same way! How much would it cost to buy SWALEC? :)
Who runs the welsh railway franchise? That would be Arriva who are owned by DB the German National Railways who are 100% owned by the German Federal Government. So not really private sector at all!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Back from a school meeting...which is appropriate given the discussion about grammar schools - which some in the Tory party and all mof UKIP want - to be found on Jonathan Simons' twitter feed right now.

https://twitter.com/PXEducation

The chart with the "0.3% of grammar school pupils with 2 A levels were from the skilled working class" is pretty damning evidence of why people involved in education don't see a return to them as useful at all.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour BIS Team ‏@LabourBIS 10m10 minutes ago
.@TobyPerkinsMP tells BBC News that just weeks ago ministers rejected Labour's plans to tackle the issue of suppliers being charged
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

These charts in the OBR report are hugely revealing. Osborne's march of the makers is a complete myth. We have taken productive workers and stuck them in junk jobs. People wasting their lives on breadline income.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 11.36.37.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 11.36.37.png (128.01 KiB) Viewed 12778 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Hmm not sure I'm looking forward to Anatoly's round-up today.

"UKIP Tim" won in Thurrock and

Every Ballot Box ‏@EveryBallotBox 32m32 minutes ago
UK #localgov byelection results for @RossendaleBC #longholme -
CON 505,LAB 390,UKIP 258 - CON gain from Labour, turnout 28.15%
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Farage_IAmAThatcherite.jpg
Farage_IAmAThatcherite.jpg (40.97 KiB) Viewed 12778 times
Owen Smith MP ‏@OwenSmithMP 3m3 minutes ago
Wishing @Nigel_Farage a warm Labour welcome to Wales. Hope our new ad van isn't too ostentatious for you.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I think Longholme was the council seat vacated by Liz McInnes to take up the Heywood & Middleton parliamentary seat in the recent by-election.

Looks like it's Vote UKIP get Tory :evil:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Hmm not sure I'm looking forward to Anatoly's round-up today.

"UKIP Tim" won in Thurrock and

Every Ballot Box ‏@EveryBallotBox 32m32 minutes ago
UK #localgov byelection results for @RossendaleBC #longholme -
CON 505,LAB 390,UKIP 258 - CON gain from Labour, turnout 28.15%
Yes. That last one is particularly depressing.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Ouch

Telegraph Politics retweeted
Telegraph Comment ‏@TeleComment 8m8 minutes ago
"George Osborne has perfected the art of preaching sobriety while knocking back the tequila slammers." @FraserNelson
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... world.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

teresa pearce ‏@tpearce003 7m7 minutes ago
Philip Davies now in his 70th minute of trying to talk out the International Development Bill .
Is this his official role now ... ?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... hatcherite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

britain-labour-nation-nit-tory-osborne-post-thatcherite

I don't think that's meant to say "nit" :lol:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
teresa pearce ‏@tpearce003 7m7 minutes ago
Philip Davies now in his 70th minute of trying to talk out the International Development Bill .
Is this his official role now ... ?
Yes, it appears "destructor of useful bills" can be added to "professional rent-a-quote gobshite" which he's been for as long as anyone can remember.

Nasty little man.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

That's actually a pretty good piece by Kettle, apart from the inevitable line Rusbridger has added at the end.
No single issue embodies that problem more powerfully than Labour’s failure to admit its past mistakes while also taking ownership of its past achievements. If it had done so, Labour would be in a stronger position. Yet the enduring mistrust of the Tories and the material self-interest of those worst hit by austerity means Labour can and may still win anyway. Whether it would be either a strong or a good Labour government are other questions altogether.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PS I realise TE was probably referring to the Kettle piece yesterday but I hadn't read it and not sure we linked it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Chapman (Mail) @jameschappers · 1h 1 hour ago
Good: one of the Govt's most bovine policies RT "@IanDunt BREAKING: The prison book ban has been quashed by judicial review"
Lawks ... even Chapman of the Mail thought that one went too far ...

Why does Cameron let these things through? His judgement doesn't seem to have improved at all through the course of this government.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

There is, unusually, a by-election today (in Adur DC) so my review won't be appearing until early next week.

But, also, the above information is wrong - Rossendale is a Labour hold. The confusion has arisen because whoever compiled the official declaration got the Labour and Tory figures mixed up (the council website has the correct result, and tweets from last night confirm it was a Labour win)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
James Chapman (Mail) @jameschappers · 1h 1 hour ago
Good: one of the Govt's most bovine policies RT "@IanDunt BREAKING: The prison book ban has been quashed by judicial review"
Lawks ... even Chapman of the Mail thought that one went too far ...

Why does Cameron let these things through? His judgement doesn't seem to have improved at all through the course of this government.
Leopard, spots. Not sure good judgement is something one can suddenly acquire - as evidenced by him bringing in Crosby to - er - help him make judgements.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There is, unusually, a by-election today (in Adur DC) so my review won't be appearing until early next week.

But, also, the above information is wrong - Rossendale is a Labour hold. The confusion has arisen because whoever compiled the official declaration got the Labour and Tory figures mixed up (the council website has the correct result, and tweets from last night confirm it was a Labour win)
Anatoly - we could kiss you. :lol: (One occasion I feel confident I can speak on behalf of most FTNers...)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I'm confused by the Longholme result because Britain Elects stated a Labour hold last night and website has this

http://www.rossendale.gov.uk/info/20013 ... ember_2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry already mentioned.
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 05 Dec, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jamie Reed ‏@jreedmp 12m12 minutes ago Croydon, London
Just found a load of breast-feeding Romanian women behind my fridge, sheltering from gay rain. I made them sit in the corner.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There is, unusually, a by-election today (in Adur DC) so my review won't be appearing until early next week.

Thank you thank you Anatoly ;-)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/seaso ... 05663.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seasons greetings from santa clegg

(note how much more normal the Camerons look compared to the Milibands)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:I'm confused by the Longholme result because Britain Elects stated a Labour hold last night and website has this

http://www.rossendale.gov.uk/info/20013 ... ember_2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't be confused Hindle ... be happy, you are right. Anatoly has just set us straight in post above.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Nick Clegg has gone for something completely different, a playful series of photo booth snaps with wife Miriam. In the first frame, she persuades him to try on a funny Santa hat. He puts it on and grins sheepishly while she laughs.

In the final frame, the happy couple hug and Miriam holds up a handwritten sign saying Merry Christmas. Mrs Clegg came up with the idea after seeing photo booths at weddings. But as well as being cute, it reinforces the Deputy Prime Minister’s political image as a non-establishment figure.
:sick:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:I'm confused by the Longholme result because Britain Elects stated a Labour hold last night and website has this

And both are correct.

Apparently the mix-up has occurred because the Tory has a double barrelled name but doesn't always use it - which means they can be viewed as either second or third in alphabetical order. Though the inevitable jokes about the backwardness of Rossendalians are also appearing :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/seaso ... 05663.html

I think he's probably mouthing to her (between clenched teeth) ---- I told you there would be far too much red in this picture.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chuka Umunna ‏@ChukaUmunna 4m4 minutes ago
Labour MPs currently voting to stop Tory MPs from talking out the 0.7% development aid Bill - not all parties are the same #HouseOfCommons
Dare I ask whether there are any Lib Dems present ... and, if so, which way they will be voting?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Labour MPs currently voting to stop Tory MPs from talking out the 0.7% development aid Bill - not all parties are the same #HouseOfCommons
Dare I ask whether there are any Lib Dems present ... and, if so, which way they will be voting?
One suspects they've all nipped off to Cornwall for interactions with normal people.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kerry McCarthy MP ‏@KerryMP 4m4 minutes ago
We have just voted 146-6 to hear less of Nuttall, PD and the Mogg, who was cut off in full flow.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
One suspects they've all nipped off to Cornwall for interactions with normal people.
You're probably right. Plus plenty of opportunities to be photographed with a pasty ... and make sympathetic noises to flooding victims.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@AnatolyKasparov thanks for explanation
@RR2 no longer confused about result though still generally in a state of confusion :D
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/seaso ... 05663.html

:lol:

I know I'm biased but isn't the pic of the Milibands just lovely?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Slaughter MP retweeted
politics.co.uk ‏@Politics_co_uk 4m4 minutes ago
Prisoner book ban judgement: Grayling's views found to be 'absurd' and 'strange' http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... -to-be-abs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Good report and commentary.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... nding-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

who do you trust more osborne or BBC.

his picture made my blood run cold. literally
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PS: 87% currently trust BBC more