Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Re: Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th December 2014

Post by diGriz »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Jesus, is this panel ever going to get its act together?

Theresa May’s child sexual abuse inquiry faces new storm

http://gu.com/p/44x49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, is my take on it - not in its current form. I think the whole thing needs to be scrapped and start again - properly. With proper selection of the panel and thorough negotiation of the terms of reference and form of enquiry - with representation at all stages from the survivors / victims of abuse. As it stands - the current set up is utterly tarnished and not fit for purpose. Take May away from it - she's not handled it capably.
The answer to the question is May but not Theresa.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Interesting and fairly long blog post on #CameronMustGo, the media reaction to it and why it's still going strong after two weeks of trending. Hat-tip to voxpoliticalonline.com

http://pawprintsofthesoul.wordpress.com ... -politics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Shipman @ShippersUnbound · 2h 2 hours ago
IDS also pressing for child benefit to be restricted to 2 kids in future to make welfare savings in next parliament. See Sunday Times

Iain Duncan Smith drawing up plans for line parents to go back to work when kids 2 yrs old not 3 in order to save £12bn
Working on the wild side.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

HindleA wrote:
yahyah wrote:Pickles lying about Labour once only giving pensioners a 50p pension increase.
[Rachel Reeves didn't correct it].

Ok, it was only 75 pence but it was at a time [1999] when pensioner savings were paying higher interest rates than now [over 5% on average in 1999, only 1.75% in 2014] and inflation was only 1.1% RPI.
Labour also announced £100 for pensioner winter fuel allowance & free TV licences for the over 75s that year.

http://paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... p-off.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted the above last night if you didn't see it.1.5 million low incomed pensioners will receive 87p increase.
Price then, price now
Amount: (price then)£0.75
Year: 1999
Calculate Result
Result:£1.15
So the 75p increase in 1999 was worth 28p more than this year's 87p increase. Historic price calculated using http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill ... -1900.html

(Note though that the poorest and richest pensioners will get the full £2.85 increase – it is those who have a small – usually very small indeed - extra pension and rely on the pension guarantee (or whatever it is called) who lose out as that is being reduced by £1.98, leaving them with only an overall increase of 87p)

Whilst here I should correct something I said the other day. I had said that when the £10 Christmas Bonus for some Social Security recipients was introduced (by Ted Heath's Government) in 1972 it had a equivalent spending power of £92. According to this calculator, the correct value should be £123.44. This year, recipients are getting £10.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight friends
good conversations here today
love
JA
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
IDS also pressing for child benefit to be restricted to 2 kids in future to make welfare savings in next parliament. See Sunday Times
I don't know why they didn't do this the other year instead of the omnishambles they made instead by trying to means-test it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Natalie Rowe retweeted
Amanda @coolchiccy · 1h 1 hour ago
Former Tory home secretary Willie Whitelaw ordered police to scrap inquiry into child sex abuse ring http://dailym.ai/12aJ66R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Net closing in.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

StephenDolan wrote:Gove just can't let it go. Is this Morgan trying to get some latitude with teachers? I can't see what the angle / positioning is here.

"A friend of Gove did not deny that the former education secretary was continuing to take a close interest in schools policy, adding that as chief whip he had been asked by the prime minister to feed in advice to No 10 on all areas of government policy"

Education chief fights back in battle with Michael Gove over schools

http://gu.com/p/44x4p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the other article...
Another government source recalled one meeting at the Department for Education: “The atmosphere was creepy and really tense. You could just hear the Gove line being parrotted back all the time.”
Yeah, that'll be Nick Gibb who, IMHO, was only put back into the DfE to make sure that the Gove legacy didn't get watered down.

Why else would they reinstate someone who was sacked two years before?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I don't know why they didn't do this the other year instead of the omnishambles they made instead by trying to means-test it.
Because it is a bonkers policy. We need people to have children, it pays pensions for older people. Unless the entire plan is to solve the shortfall by immigration.

Nigel Farage will love that.
Release the Guardvarks.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Went to and returned from pub in good order. Cheek delivered and am feeling somewhat refreshed.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Oh - and CMG at #4 more than two weeks on.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Last night's National Opinion Poll (YouGov):
CON - 32% (+1)
LAB - 32% (-)
UKIP - 17% (+2)
GRN - 7% (-1)
LDEM - 6% (-1)
Come on you Greens!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

CON - 32% (+1)
LAB - 32% (-)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry :shock:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.sundaypost.com/news-views/po ... s-1.723992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Osborne has launched an outspoken attack on his Liberal Democrat colleagues, claiming they could wreak "economic chaos" in a future government.
Presumably positioning themselves for a Tory UKIP pact with the devil.

Oh sorry. They are the devil.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2014/12/0 ... uthanasia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2014/12/0 ... d-suicide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An ESA claimant has explained how an Atos work capability assessor asked her why she had not yet killed herself, after she admitted suffering with depression.
It just gets worse, doesn't it? More than 1 person has been asked this.

I feel physically sick.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

WelshIan wrote:http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2014/12/0 ... uthanasia/

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2014/12/0 ... d-suicide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An ESA claimant has explained how an Atos work capability assessor asked her why she had not yet killed herself, after she admitted suffering with depression.

I feel physically sick.
Looking at the first of those two posts put one image immediately into my mind.

A minority among you may be aware of the Dave Sim comic book series Cerebus, a long, complex social and satirical comedy that Sim wrote and drew for 300 issues between 1977 and 2004. At one point in the series, Cerebus becomes the Pope, and uses his position to demand everybody give up to Tarim (the God) all their gold. Because everyone is a fervent believer, they're all doing so.

There's this scene where he's out on the steps of the hotel in which he's staying, haranguing the crowd. For panel after panel, there's a woman at the front holding up a crying, snivelling baby and pleading over and over, 'Bless my Baby, Pope'. After enough time, Cerebus stops, turns to the woman and takes the baby. He kisses the baby on the head, says 'Bless You' and then winds up one hand with the baby and hurls it away over the heads of the crowd, like an American football. The moral he tells the crowd is that sometimes you can get what you want and not get what you want, though it's later referred to as 'One less mouth to feed is one less mouth to feed'.

That was fiction. It was comic, cartoon fiction. It was an outrageous situation in an outrageous setting. It was savage and shocking and utterly hilarious.

I can't believe that's crossed over into real life.
The truth ferret speaks!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

WelshIan wrote:http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2014/12/0 ... uthanasia/

I feel physically sick.
Appalling. Any Government that can embrace policies like that has sacrificed the moral right to lead us; anybody who can support such a Government will earn my undying contempt. :fire:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Sorry. Morning all. Those links infuriated me so much I forgot my manners.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Apparently "Tony Blair wants Chuka Umunna to be the next Labour leader"; well, that is his career finished, he may as well give up politics and take up basket weaving or cheese making. *

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* Both of which, quite frankly, are more worthwhile careers than being a professional politician anyway.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Not refreshed for long. That ATOS story is terrifying.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Apparently "Tony Blair wants Chuka Umunna to be the next Labour leader"; well, that is his career finished, he may as well give up politics and take up basket weaving or cheese making. *

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* Both of which, quite frankly, are more worthwhile careers than being a professional politician anyway.
If Tony Blair had any sense of anything he would lay low from now on. No-one except Cameron and a bunch of Tories are interested in anything he has to say.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Apparently "Tony Blair wants Chuka Umunna to be the next Labour leader"; well, that is his career finished, he may as well give up politics and take up basket weaving or cheese making. *

Morning. I CAN'T STAND THAT CHUKA UMUNNA BLOKE. REMINDS ME OF CAMERON.

Sorry about the caps - quite intentional to emphasise my rage!
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

In a back-handed way, this is actually a tribute to the effectiveness of Ed Milliband in separating Labour from the arid wastelands of New Labour. By the time Ed gets in, Blair's legacy will be shredded.
The truth ferret speaks!
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Have a closer look at that Autumn Statement photo. They all look as though they're queuing for the dole!

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... -statement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't seem to get the image in here but zoom in on it in the article. Hilarious
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

tinyclanger2 wrote:

If Tony Blair had any sense of anything he would lay low from now on. No-one except Cameron and a bunch of Tories are interested in anything he has to say.
His messianic complex will never let him admit that his day has passed.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:

Recently voted Least Self-Aware Human Being On The Planet for the seventeenth consecutive year (which is impressive whn you consider Simon Cowell's out there).
The truth ferret speaks!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

mbc1955 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote: If Tony Blair had any sense of anything he would lay low from now on. No-one except Cameron and a bunch of Tories are interested in anything he has to say.
Recently voted Least Self-Aware Human Being On The Planet for the seventeenth consecutive year (which is impressive whn you consider Simon Cowell's out there).
And Alan Titchmarsh
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

If you think it's appropriate, could someone tweetastic put the ATOS story on CMG - have looked but can't find it and am still counselling self through process of becoming active tweep, twitster, or whatever the term is.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

tinyclanger2 wrote:If you think it's appropriate, could someone tweetastic put the ATOS story on CMG - have looked but can't find it and am still counselling self through process of becoming active tweep, twitster, or whatever the term is.
Already done.
‏@AndyLucia #CameronMustGo as any Govt that embraces "chequebook euthanasia" is not fit for purpose. With thanks to @MidWalesMike http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2014/12/0 ... uthanasia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning ,

Not my place to get annoyed on behalf of others but Clinton cards have got a Christmas card with ten reasons why Santa comes from a Council Estate.It is meant go be funny apparently,maybe me but a poke in the eye with a blunt stick would be more humorous IMHO.

Update.Just tried the latter,not to be recommended but in fact I was correct.I'm a martyr to evidence based "research"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton retweeted
Patrick Wintour @patrickwintour · 16m 16 minutes ago
With Foodbanks report out tomorrow Clegg for first time says Govt should end overnight benefit sanctions and introduce traffic light system.
Isn't that big of him. Just 5 months before an election ...

Mikeems and others here are very right - it's not us that are the cynics. It's phony, self serving moves like this, which have to come from someone who thinks a proportion of the electorate are stupid enough to believe they are acting out of decency .... (Clegg, decency, HAH!) - that show how cynical many of our politicians are.

Dregs Cleggy - you are down with the dregs now.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:Morning ,

Not my place to get annoyed on behalf of others but Clinton cards have got a Christmas card with ten reasons why Santa comes from a Council Estate.It is meant go be funny apparently,maybe me but a poke in the eye with a blunt stick would be more humorous IMHO.

Update.Just tried the latter,not to be recommended but in fact I was correct.I'm a martyr to evidence based "research"
http://www.thejournal.ie/clintons-cards ... 3-Dec2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You piqued my more ghoulish curiosity and it seems the card has been withdrawn since:
Many people felt that the card presented an unflattering view of council tenants.
WARNING: link contains description of card.
Last edited by refitman on Sun 07 Dec, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: URL fixed
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

On the other hand the CMGers are up and tweeting. #CMG back at #1.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

:lol: Can tell I'm a bit befuddled this morning. Found myself wondering - for a split second before I realised my mistake - what you meant by goulash curiosity TC ... my eyes, my eyes ... a visit to Vision Express is imminent.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Is that as in the Goulash Archipelago?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton retweeted
Tim Montgomerie ن​​ @montie · 1h 1 hour ago
I will run down Whitehall naked (in the spirit of @DPJHodges and @IainDale) if George Osborne ever becomes Tory leader #marrshow
If many more of these bets are made ... Whitehall is going to be a place to be well avoided after the election and resulting fall outs. (no puns or horrid images meant with evil intent).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Is that as in the Goulash Archipelago?
Yes - that's right - the Goulash Archipelago as in famous Hungarian dish made with spicy extra long chipolatas.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

not especially cerebral but I'm afraid this off CGM cheered me up momentarily
twatt.jpg
twatt.jpg (32.69 KiB) Viewed 10709 times
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
danesclose wrote:Who'd a thunk it? Osborne's Autumn Statement benefitted his mates in the oil & gas industry!

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... f-comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was rendered speechless for a mo by your avatar - dc. Then I realised ... of course, you're owning being a dog end.

Good on you. We're dog ends and proud of it. But have to say it does look disgusting.
You're right - as someone who stopped smoking 8 years ago even I think it looks awful.
Will have to change it soon
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Martin Rowson @MartinRowson · Dec 5
Week today @ConwayHall I'll be ranting at length & in truly foul-mouthed way about The Coalition Government. Be there http://conwayhall.org.uk/martin-rowson-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That might be a good cathartic evening out for someone - or some many. If I were still in London .....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

danesclose wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
danesclose wrote:Who'd a thunk it? Osborne's Autumn Statement benefitted his mates in the oil & gas industry!

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... f-comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was rendered speechless for a mo by your avatar - dc. Then I realised ... of course, you're owning being a dog end.

Good on you. We're dog ends and proud of it. But have to say it does look disgusting.
You're right - as someone who stopped smoking 8 years ago even I think it looks awful.
Will have to change it soon
Good on you for 8 years without.

I'm 25 years or so without now ... and I still think of it as one of my real 'achievements' - i.e. it was hard, and I managed to do it.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

You're in good company in research on blunt sticks and eyes - Newton stuck a darning needle around the side of his eye until it poked the backside in optical experiments!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

tinyclanger2 wrote:On the other hand the CMGers are up and tweeting. #CMG back at #1.
We've been incentivised.
Will Black ‏@WillBlackWriter · 9h9 hours ago
If you stop tweeting #CameronMustGo God kills a kitten.
Attachments
B4OEuxaCAAE7U8-.jpg
B4OEuxaCAAE7U8-.jpg (42.03 KiB) Viewed 10664 times
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

WelshIan wrote:

You're in good company in research on blunt sticks and eyes - Newton stuck a darning needle around the side of his eye until it poked the backside in optical experiments!
Helluva long needle if he managed to poke his backside. :o
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:On the other hand the CMGers are up and tweeting. #CMG back at #1.
We've been incentivised.
Is something that cute actually allowed?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

tinyclanger2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
We've been incentivised.
Is something that cute actually allowed?
If it helps get rid of the Tories? Hell yeah!!!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

tinyclanger2 wrote:CON - 32% (+1)
LAB - 32% (-)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry :shock:
Let's not forget that many Tory MPs were almost orgasmic after Osborne spoke on Wednesday - and "sources" were claiming they expected a clear poll lead by the weekend.

Whoops :)

If it makes you feel better, its the third YouGov in a row with the LibDems in fifth :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.bsa-31.natcen.ac.uk/media/38 ... report.pdf British Social Attitudes survey 2014 edition

Big problem with attitudes to unemployment. People live in fear of redundancy yet still blame the unemployed. Any good sources on voluntary and involuntary unemployment? This seems to be an important nut to crack.
I'm not sure if by voluntary you mean those making a 'lifestyle choice'? If you resign a job without a good reason then you can't get JSA for up to 6 months. Even with a good reason you may find it hard to claim!

In response to FOI requests, the DWP has figures for numbers of JSA claimants who have claimed for at least 10 years:

August 2012 - 1,070
Feb 2014 - 1,130

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... b-feb-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are these people voluntarily unemployed, though, and making a 'lifestyle choice'? We can't conclude that as there are a variety of factors in why they are unemployed. It would be interesting to have an age breakdown of when they 1st became unemployed as some of these may have been made redundant in their 50's and have not been able to get a job since because of their age.

edited to make last sentence read a bit better, I'm sure it could be improved again!
Last edited by WelshIan on Sun 07 Dec, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

BBC Veteran Paul Lambert joins UKIP's media team as Director of Communications

http://www.ukip.org/bbc_veteran_paul_la ... unications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good afternoon.
Coaliton's NewBuy housing scheme is a 95 per cent failure, official figures reveal

A coalition plan to get 100,000 people on to the property ladder by helping them buy new-build properties has actually helped just over 5,000 individuals, official figures have revealed.

Labour said it now takes 22 years to save for a deposit on a typical first home, compared to three years in 1983 for low to middle-income households. (Independent)
Although it should be pointed out that a 95% failure is quite good by the standards of this government.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 08490.html

I see that the Guardian politics page has been dedicated to folk hero Nick Clegg.