Wednesday 27th July 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 27th July 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 27th July 2022

Post by frog222 »

Morning RFM
Good Wren-Lewis last night from Gilsey
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2022/0 ... n-two.html
Another priority is public investment, including investment to help green the economy. Public investment can be a spur to productivity enhancing private investment, which will promote growth by expanding the supply side of the economy. We also need to reverse direction on Brexit, start cooperating with the EU and begin the lengthy process back into their Customs Union and Single market. Public investment and health come together with Covid, where the government should be embarking on a massive programme to have effective ventilation in every school, workplace and other areas outside the home where Covid can spread.

The problem for most people living in the UK is that both candidates for PM find it impossible to do these things, both because of their Thatcherite ideology and Brexit obsession, and because their own MPs believe the public sector is bloated, inefficient and needs to get out of the way. This is hardly surprising for a party that is increasingly controlled by very wealthy donors and press barons, and that is dependent on them to outspend and misrepresent their political rivals before elections

Figure this morning on Radio4 of those off sick with Long Covid was over 100,000 ( can't remember exactly, half asleep) , and I'm sure that is a serious underestimate of those no longer working or doing do on reduced hours, with difficulty, example the two I know .
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I wonder if we'll see any more dissent?

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Good lad.

re the Wren-Lewis piece:
The problem for most people living in the UK is that both candidates for PM find it impossible to do these things
No indication that the third candidate, SKS, would do anything different either. A bit of tinkering at the edges maybe.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

i continue to hope that circumstances will cause the next Labour government to do some radical things.

At the very least they won't be ideologically opposed to them in the way the Tories are.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

You think Reeves isn't ideologically opposed to us having nice things?

A test of whether they'll adapt to the circumstances will be whether she's in the cabinet.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I'm not sure if she is tbh, its possible to overstate how right wing she actually is.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Oh FFS.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Cognitive dissonance (voters-Tories-trust with economy)
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Labour taking aim square at both feet 🤦‍♂️

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

This almost looks prearranged, doesn't it. Which arguably just shows that Starmer shouldn't have taken the bait though.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Wed 27 Jul, 2022 7:13 pm This almost looks prearranged, doesn't it. Which arguably just shows that Starmer shouldn't have taken the bait though.
A far more likely interpretation is that dozens of union leaders and officials are scrutinising every word from Starmer . And then finding him wanting in every possible way .

The rewards to Capital and to Labour have been widening for thirty odd years .

FACT !
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I've just watched a rather insightful chat, on a Twitch stream, with a former Starmer staffer. I will post a link when there's one available.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »