Monday 8th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Re: Monday 8th December 2014

Post by Spacedone »

mbc1955 wrote:Has anyone got a link to where I can read just what Peter Jukes has said about 'The Un-Mensch-ionable'?
It's still on the Zelo Street blog. I won't post the link just in case Mensch decides she's going to sue everyone on Earth for saying something not anywhere near as offensive as her usual Twitter output.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Someone on Twitter just described his Nigelship as "parody human Farage"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I quite like the idea that his name keeps being changed to Garage - as he gives the impression of a used-car salesman, it's quite apt.

Would you buy a policy from this man?
Presumably he deals exclusively with white vans and golf buggies?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:https://twitter.com/BiteTheBallot
Twitter feed
Ed doing well and looks great :)
Anyone watching ?
Saw the whole thing. Ed Miliband did very well - no one can ever credibly tell me he's not a genuinely warm person. His intelligence, sensitivity & honesty were all there - the young people were all intelligent & gave Miliband no easy ride in any way.

Loved the self-confessed 'eldest young person flirtation' exchange comments with Miliband!

The young black men made me feel proud - proud of them - proud this country is their home - a nation not utilising the wholesome talents of all the people is damned. I think Miliband understands this profoundly.

These are just a few of my observations off the top of my head. Like I said, I don't watch live (or not live) media very often. It's been years since I've sat through an hour of that kind of thing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Spacedone wrote:Watching Miliband on Youtube and the comments at the side are distracting me. It's a war between Kippers and everyone else.
I intentionally gave it full screen in order to concentrate.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The last days of the Cameron administration: Part 1 The Gove Delusion
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/nick-cohen ... -delusion/
AAW (I think, sorry if it wasn't) posted a little bit from this piece before. The whole thing is well worth reading. Damning of Cameron, damning of Gove .... and makes a razor sharp observation about how, if Cameron doesn't stop Gove's shenanigans, he may well get the full and very public force of Morgan rounding on him for yet again undermining women in his Cabinet. And, he says, Cameron will actually be surprised - won't have seen it coming or understand why. Damning, utterly damning.
Working on the wild side.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Someone on Twitter just described his Nigelship as "parody human Farage"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I quite like the idea that his name keeps being changed to Garage - as he gives the impression of a used-car salesman, it's quite apt.

Would you buy a policy from this man?
Alan Shearer should maybe ask him about coats?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

OK in the last ten minutes trending in the UK:

trending at #1 #SoccerSixApplauseStore 147 tweets
at #2 #YesEd 65
not trending #CMG 180

In an eyes on economy would they really have got their algorithm to stop picking out the top trending topic just because it had already been trending for 16 days?
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Mon 08 Dec, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Just watching C4 news and Philip Booth of the Institute for Economic Affairs used the phrase "cost of living crisis"...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

:rock:
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 08 Dec, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Oh bloody hell my club Sheffield Wednesday have drawn Man City away again. We've already been hammered by them once this season, twice is cruel and unusual punishment.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

UKYP are having a Raise The Wage twitter thunderclap in January if anyone would like to join in

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/199 ... e-the-wage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We believe in the #‎livingwage‬, a fair day’s pay for a hard day’s work, ‪#‎raisethewage‬ make people’s lives better
http://www.ukyouthparliament.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

AngryAsWell wrote:UKYP are having a Raise The Wage twitter thunderclap in January if anyone would like to join in

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/199 ... e-the-wage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We believe in the #‎livingwage‬, a fair day’s pay for a hard day’s work, ‪#‎raisethewage‬ make people’s lives better
http://www.ukyouthparliament.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's an unfortunate acroymn.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Spacedone wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:Has anyone got a link to where I can read just what Peter Jukes has said about 'The Un-Mensch-ionable'?
It's still on the Zelo Street blog. I won't post the link just in case Mensch decides she's going to sue everyone on Earth for saying something not anywhere near as offensive as her usual Twitter output.
Ok, ta. She doesn't know the law at all.
The truth ferret speaks!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Spacedone wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:UKYP are having a Raise The Wage twitter thunderclap in January if anyone would like to join in

That's an unfortunate acroymn.
It is, but I think they may have had it first, or at least well before the others got in the news as much, g'daughter took part at least 8 years ago.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Spacedone wrote:So when did Twitter start disappearing trending topics?
Looks like something is going to be revealed
Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 3m3 minutes ago
A very very interesting story brewing regarding the #CameronMustGo hashtag. I suspect experts in twitter analytics are going to be very busy
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am on tenterhooks now!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Spacedone wrote:Oh bloody hell my club Sheffield Wednesday have drawn Man City away again. We've already been hammered by them once this season, twice is cruel and unusual punishment.
Up the Owls! My grandfather stewarded there for years. Lived up in Crookes until he and my grandmother moved away to a sheltered-flat for their later years.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:Just suppose Labour were a few seats short of a majority.
Who would you prefer they did a deal with,libdems or snp?
I'm afraid I would go for libs just to spite the nats,but that's my problem.Don't say greens as they won't have enough seats.
The LibDems don't deserve to get any sort of power; they've shown they can't be trusted, so I'd take a chance and say the
SNP.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rearofthestore wrote:
Spacedone wrote:So when did Twitter start disappearing trending topics?
Looks like something is going to be revealed
Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 3m3 minutes ago
A very very interesting story brewing regarding the #CameronMustGo hashtag. I suspect experts in twitter analytics are going to be very busy
As of a few minutes ago there's not a sign of it which is decidedly suspicious.

Once again it looks as if the Tories will be hoist on their own petard. Which they'll deny of course. :roll:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'll bet Ed can't resist having a quiet snigger.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Still not totally at home with Twitter, but my trending list says #YesEd, is second.
Is there a British trend and one for the world?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just watched the Leaders Live debate with Ed Miliband.

He did OK. Did come across as warm. At his best at the very end when he started engaging more directly and equally with the panel.

I could definitely give him some 'notes' though. (Former performer's hat on there.)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... ank-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The image in the article linked above.

The numbers & graph imagery don't make sense.

The only information I can make out it, assuming the numbers are accurate, is that 110,504 more individual benefit sanctions are happening per year, according to the numbers & time indicated.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Dr Éoin Clarke @LabourEoin · 42 mins 42 minutes ago
#CameronMustGo has attracted 83,000 tweets in the last day and is currently attracting 5 times more tweets than the Number 1 Trending Topic.
Dr Éoin Clarke @LabourEoin · 18 mins 18 minutes ago
#CameronMustGo has now attracted 88,000 tweets today. It is on course to break all previous records it set itself via http://topsy.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something stinks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:Still not totally at home with Twitter, but my trending list says #YesEd, is second.
The #YesEd came from the live debate (never knew twitter and YouTube could interact like that - 'twas good) some are now using it instead of #cameronmustgo as twitter seems to have done away with it - well stopped it trending.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

citizenJA wrote:Image

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... ank-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The image in the article linked above.

The numbers & graph imagery don't make sense.

The only information I can make out it, assuming the numbers are accurate, is that 110,504 more individual benefit sanctions are happening per year, according to the numbers & time indicated.
What they're saying is that 3M+ people have been sanctioned since April 2000, of which 800,000 were within the last couple of years. But I think it also says that the number of sanctions per person has decreased slightly.

Edited to add the number of squares is the number of sanctions per person but it's a meaningless graphic!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:At his best at the very end when he started engaging more directly and equally with the panel.
One of his strengths that, and something Labour need to build on; didn't see tonight's debate but, if it is anything like previous occasions I have seen, he will have asked the questioners opinion before giving them an answer. That is so powerful, if he got a chance to do something similar in the head to head debates that would blow Cameron & Clegg (and, very possibly, Farage) right out of the water.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

ohsocynical wrote:Still not totally at home with Twitter, but my trending list says #YesEd, is second.
Ohso look at the top right of the Trends panel and you can click on Change. If you currently have "tailored trends" click "change" again.

You probably have your location set as London or UK but you can choose "Worldwide" if you prefer.

For info I have FTN at UK.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:At his best at the very end when he started engaging more directly and equally with the panel.
One of his strengths that, and something Labour need to build on; didn't see tonight's debate but, if it is anything like previous occasions I have seen, he will have asked the questioners opinion before giving them an answer. That is so powerful, if he got a chance to do something similar in the head to head debates that would blow Cameron & Clegg (and, very possibly, Farage) right out of the water.
That is exactly what he did TGS. It's a much more powerful and direct way of engaging - it frees him up to have a real conversation with the person rather than talking at people - far less abstract. He needs to do it more - and earlier on.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
That is exactly what he did TGS. It's a much more powerful and direct way of engaging - it frees him up to have a real conversation with the person rather than talking at people - far less abstract. He needs to do it more - and earlier on.
Funnily enough I noted a "troll" deriding him for exactly this habit recently :lol:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: One of his strengths that, and something Labour need to build on; didn't see tonight's debate but, if it is anything like previous occasions I have seen, he will have asked the questioners opinion before giving them an answer. That is so powerful, if he got a chance to do something similar in the head to head debates that would blow Cameron & Clegg (and, very possibly, Farage) right out of the water.
Funnily enough I noted a "troll" deriding him for exactly this habit recently :lol:
Thereby proving that the Mail do get some things right sometimes .....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... acist.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: One of his strengths that, and something Labour need to build on; didn't see tonight's debate but, if it is anything like previous occasions I have seen, he will have asked the questioners opinion before giving them an answer. That is so powerful, if he got a chance to do something similar in the head to head debates that would blow Cameron & Clegg (and, very possibly, Farage) right out of the water.
Well they would, wouldn't they. Bloody cavedwellers - who certainly don't have his and Labour's best interests at heart.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
To be fair tonight's were set subject questions covering previously chosen, 4 policy area, questions. Only the last 5 mins or so were free Q&A. Its still up and can be re watched for those who missed it.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

A piece on the #CameronMustGo controversy from Mike Sivier quoting our very own Stephen Dolan ;-)

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2014/12/0 ... ronmustgo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

was-there-a-secret-tory-conspiracy-to-get-rid-of-cameronmustgo
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:A piece on the #CameronMustGo controversy from Mike Sivier quoting our very own Stephen Dolan ;-)

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2014/12/0 ... ronmustgo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was just going over twitter T&C and found this
Are there rules for Trends?
It is possible to abuse Trends. Of course, this is against the Twitter Rules. The following behaviors and others like them could cause your account to be filtered from search or even suspended:
◦Adding one or more topic/hashtag to an unrelated Tweet in an attempt to gain attention in search.
◦Repeatedly Tweeting the same topic/hashtag without adding value to the conversation in an attempt to get the topic trending or trending higher.
◦Tweeting about each Trend in order to drive traffic to your profile or website, especially when mixed with advertising.
◦Listing Trends in combination with a request to be followed.
◦Tweeting about a Trend and posting a misleading link to something unrelated.
I'm thinking someone has been reporting #Cameronmustgo as spam under the rule I've highlighted in blue. ?
https://support.twitter.com/articles/10 ... on-twitter#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Ohso look at the top right of the Trends panel and you can click on Change. If you currently have "tailored trends" click "change" again.

You probably have your location set as London or UK but you can choose "Worldwide" if you prefer.

For info I have FTN at UK.
Thanks.
I'm on tailored. It includes #ICan'tBreath so probably goes further afield.
#CameronMustGo was top or second for nearly two weeks then dropped to fourth. The next day, nothing.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:A piece on the #CameronMustGo controversy from Mike Sivier quoting our very own Stephen Dolan ;-)

Stephen Dolan's comment echoes a short 'conversation' I've just had with Martin Belam (ex-techy guy from the Graun, colloquially known as BlackOps). As Martin pointed out
it's an algorithm based on velocity otherwise all the trends would be Justin Bieber all the time
Effectively you get to a point where the law of diminishing returns comes in to play; if CMG was being tweeted 50K times a day, every day, then that velocity has gone and the algorithim will no longer pick it up - it would be interesting to see what happened if all activity on that hashtag was stopped for a couple of weeks, and then restarted, would that give it 'velocity'? I'm not 100% convinced this is the whole answer, but it may account for part of the disappearance.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

It's unbelievable #CameronMustGo is being used at multiple per second. It MUST be trending. Oh...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

So when that berk wrote the piece for the Telegraph in which the twitter analyst said 'I give it two weeks' (or words to that effect and timescale) - that prediction was literal? Twitter does only allow two weeks for something to be trending high - or even appearing in trending results ....

Hmmmmmm.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

rebeccariots2 wrote:

So when that berk wrote the piece for the Telegraph in which the twitter analyst said 'I give it two weeks' (or words to that effect and timescale) - that prediction was literal? Twitter does only allow two weeks for something to be trending high - or even appearing in trending results ....

Hmmmmmm.
I understand the concept of "increasing frequency" BUT (conspiracy theorist moi?) this hashtag is being used this evening at a frequency about the same as when we were waiting for Obama's re-election result or similar. Which MUST be an increase.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:

I was just going over twitter T&C and found this
Are there rules for Trends?
It is possible to abuse Trends. Of course, this is against the Twitter Rules. The following behaviors and others like them could cause your account to be filtered from search or even suspended:
◦Adding one or more topic/hashtag to an unrelated Tweet in an attempt to gain attention in search.
◦Repeatedly Tweeting the same topic/hashtag without adding value to the conversation in an attempt to get the topic trending or trending higher.
◦Tweeting about each Trend in order to drive traffic to your profile or website, especially when mixed with advertising.
◦Listing Trends in combination with a request to be followed.
◦Tweeting about a Trend and posting a misleading link to something unrelated.
I'm thinking someone has been reporting #Cameronmustgo as spam under the rule I've highlighted in blue. ?
https://support.twitter.com/articles/10 ... on-twitter#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mmm. When a hashtag aks why we think a person isn't up to the job and should go, I don't see how it could be done any differently.
So many reasons why Dave should go must have given Crosby nightmares.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Hmmmmmm.
That must defeat the point of Twitter. Mustn't it?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Hmmmmmm.
Nope, he was just plucking numbers from the air. I pulled him up about it on Saturday, he was very touchy & more than a little embarrassed; if you set yourself up as an 'expert' on something a comment like that is a hostage to fortune.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:It's unbelievable #CameronMustGo is being used at multiple per second. It MUST be trending. Oh...
They asked for a blitz this evening just to see what happened. Well, we did. And nothing. Interesting.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Guardian view on food poverty: the bank of Cameron and Osborne
An all-party committee has forced Britain to face up to the return of hunger. But there is no apolitical route to a solution – too much of the problem is down to political decisions
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... on-osborne
The Guardian view appears to have whitewashed the LibDems out of any of these terrible hunger inducing policies - almost as though they haven't been in government ........

Incredible.

But most of the first comments BTL have fallen for it ... only mentioning Tory bastards. Sorry - there were two parties in this marriage ... and both acted badly.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I've been having some fun at the expense of a slippery Kipper who tried to tell us:
I believe the UK is the most congested country in Europe.
Except that it isn't - Belgium and Netherlands are ahead of us. So...
I don't think so.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7618994.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The piece quotes ONS figures and that was in 2008!
The link goes to a story headed...England 'most crowded in Europe'

Funny thing...when I pointed out that he'd started with the UK and then switched to England there was a deafening silence.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Just in from an email
This booklet represents a summary of some of the key policies developed
through Labour’s policy making process, Agenda 2015, and agreed as
part of Labour’s policy programme by the National Policy Forum and
Annual Conference 2014. To read Labour’s policy programme in full visit
yourbritain.org.uk/agenda-2015/npf-annual-report-2014.

Skimmed not read yet but looking good!
http://b.3cdn.net/labouruk/414e1ab67632 ... 6bflfq.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I may be very stupid ... but couldn't the twitter trending problem be solved by re-introducing it as #CameronHasToGo

:?:

And then we could work out another small variation for the following two weeks ... and so on.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote:I've been having some fun at the expense of a slippery Kipper who tried to tell us:
I believe the UK is the most congested country in Europe.
Except that it isn't - Belgium and Netherlands are ahead of us. So...
I don't think so.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7618994.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The piece quotes ONS figures and that was in 2008!
The link goes to a story headed...England 'most crowded in Europe'

Funny thing...when I pointed out that he'd started with the UK and then switched to England there was a deafening silence.
TBH Rog, to somebody like that England is the UK, the others parts are mere decoration. That is why you can't argue with them, they're always on a different page to you (usually one with small words & lots of pictures).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

rebeccariots2 wrote:I may be very stupid ... but couldn't the twitter trending problem be solved by re-introducing it as #CameronHasToGo

:?:

And then we could work out another small variation for the following two weeks ... and so on.
Trouble is the rule Ohso posted above would disqualify that.

In short, we seem to be about to learn that Twitter isn't quite the instrument of democracy and freedom we hoped it might be :-(