Tuesday 13th September 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 13th September 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 13th September 2022

Post by refitman »

Talk about failing to read the room

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The Ruritania Show !

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Police demand details of barrister who held up blank piece of paper amid arrests of anti-monarchy protesters
Officer shown telling man he was stopped because he could ‘write stuff on it that may offend people around the King’

Legal author the Secret Barrister wrote on Twitter that the officer had misinterpreted the Public Order Act, adding: “Unless the sign if threatening or abusive, no offence is committed. Being merely offensive is not an offence.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 65602.html
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

A couple of cases here recently of police shooting people in cars .

Automatic arrest of cop for 24h, prolongable for another 24 while evidence is gathered .

https://www.nouvelobs.com/faits-divers/ ... a-vue.html

Rather different to the Met !
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The republican cause will be gaining converts as this goes on, mourning the Q is one thing, the haste to get the K in place quite another.
Easy to see how it was necessary historically but perhaps a rethink might have been in order in the 21C.

The different treatment of Andrew and Harry adding grist to the mill.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good morning.

Good article from Jill Rutter on the sacking of the Perm Sec at the Treasury.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/sacking-tom-schol ... overnment/
Inevitably overshadowed by the death of the Queen, Kwarteng and Truss’s decision looks like an attack on the impartiality of the civil service, applying a new ideological compatibility test to appointments. They have probably alienated many staff in the Treasury who looked up to Scholar. They have lost an official with an unrivalled track record of managing the economic fallout of crises – in the middle of a major economic crisis.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh, and RIP Jean Luc Godard...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

refitman wrote: Tue 13 Sep, 2022 8:25 am Talk about failing to read the room
Well if you believe the (often reliable) royal reporting in Private Eye, the new king does fully intend to freeze him out.

Andrew was always (for some reason) his mum's favourite though, so doubtless it has been considered "disrespectful" to do so before the funeral.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote: Tue 13 Sep, 2022 10:27 am Good morning.

Good article from Jill Rutter on the sacking of the Perm Sec at the Treasury.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/sacking-tom-schol ... overnment/
Inevitably overshadowed by the death of the Queen, Kwarteng and Truss’s decision looks like an attack on the impartiality of the civil service, applying a new ideological compatibility test to appointments. They have probably alienated many staff in the Treasury who looked up to Scholar. They have lost an official with an unrivalled track record of managing the economic fallout of crises – in the middle of a major economic crisis.
Looks like the new PM has had to u-turn over Simon Case, though.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

frog2222
SEPTEMBER 13, 2022 AT 7:58 PM EDIT
Just watched this long one . The first time I’d seen publicly mentioned the possibility of the Chinese sniffing lebensraum in the ‘Russian’ Far East while Russia is in difficulty. I did wonder when that would be in the public domain !

Think about that ?

Parallels also made with AdolphH overruling his generals. Appears to me that they are professionally class enough and Zelenskiy is sensible enough , not to interfere ?

have somewhere the biography of one of France’s chief spooks , it begins–
“first get a map”
https://deepstatemap.live/en#8/46.115/35.018

As a young intelligence officer postWW2 he did suggest bumping off Marshal Pétain as one solution to the problem of his continuing existence !

A true spook .
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Unfortunately my French only extends as far as asking for a glass of wine.

Obviously nobody should be celebrating yet and it's been noticeable how level headed the Ukrainian military and Zelensky have been but what I think is entirely fair is highlighting things said by the left and right, here and in the U.S, that have turned out to be spectacularly wrong. Whether it be Tucker Carlson, The Rand corporation, Seumas Milne, Jeremy Corbyn or the idiots at Novara media. All of them said arming Ukraine was a mistake, if not a waste of time and money, that would only extend the war to Ukraine's (and the West's) disadvantage. Whereas what has actually transpired is that with the aid of Western weaponry (specifically American missiles and German anti-aircraft vehicles) the Ukrainians have liberated a vast swathe of their country previously held by rapists and torturers intent on the extermination of themselves and their culture.

Will we get any kind of mea culpa from the Leftist tankies or the right wing Putin apologists? Of course not. You never do from ideologues. If it doesn't fit the narrative it must either be ignored (which is what's mostly happening) or reality must be twisted to fit the narrative. In this case twisted so far that apparently the wily Russians have ceded a vast amount of territory, ammunition and hardware to set a trap for the bungling Ukrainians.

No sane person is pro-war, but once a war is started there is such a thing as a just war and I do wonder how many of the 'Stop the War Coalition' folks would be quite so keen to negotiate with a murderous invader if it was their families being raped and tortured and mutilated for the sake of one man's diseased ego.

Pacifists I can respect, it's a difficult and brave principle to hold. What I can't respect are people who piously call themselves anti-war as if that raises them morally above the rest of us. Less than 5% of Ukrainians want to negotiate with Russia. Poll after poll has shown this for months, yet a chunk of the British Left think they know better.

This isn't the Iraq war. Or Afghanistan. What 'we' did in those countries was appaling and should never have happened. However what the Russians are doing in Ukraine is inconceivably worse, a medieval level of barbarity that makes a girl smoking in front of a pile of prisoners look like a Disney cartoon. The details of their depravity are there for anyone to read and frankly I wish I hadn't. Details that come not from the Ukrainians but the Russians themselves.

There's nothing morally upstanding about advocating leaving people to such a fate no matter how virtuous it may make some people feel.

Anyway I'll be off soon to volunteer but as an alcoholic in his fifties I reckon only the Russians will have me.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

A complete giveaway phrase has been something like "the West is fighting with Russia down to the last Ukrainian".

Wrong in just about every way you can think of, but those uttering it normally did so with such utter certitude and indeed smugness.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm not really an alcoholic. At least I don't think I am. I just like getting drunk and I'm pretty good at it if I say so myself.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And yes, a lot of us thought at the start that Russia was likely to "win" (well maybe not in the sense of subjugating every inch of Ukraine, but yes in some way significantly and permanently changing the status quo) That doesn't mean we didn't want the Ukrainians to fight and exact as high a toll as possible.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Elkie brooks?

Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.