Tuesday 9th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Re: Tuesday 9th December 2014

Post by mbc1955 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Nick Cohen retweeted
Ian Black @ian_black · 3h 3 hours ago
The Most Gruesome Moments in the CIA ‘Torture Report’ http://thebea.st/1sft2ra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @shaneharris, @timkmak
Be careful ... this is very upsetting ... especially if, like me, you have always wanted to believe things might not have been quite as bad as feared.

Will anybody ever be held to account for these sickening acts?
The simple answer is 'no', I suspect.

Compare and contrast British Intelligence in the 1940s. 'The one that got away' is the story of a German pilot who was shot down in the Battle of Britain, who was interrogated by BI after his capture. He was put in a room with another German flyer, and they systematically searched that room to see if they were being eavesdropped. Lo and behold, they found a listening device in a bedside lamp. Thereafter, they started having conversations leaning out of the room's window. After a short while, it occurred to the guy that the British had meant the device to be found and so he started poking around the window ledge doing the "testing 1, 2, 3..." thing. He was moved very soon afterwards.

Different times, different conflict, but it always struck me as a fantastic demonstration of forward planning and thinking, as well as misdirection. Make them feel safe, let them talk, and probably record the lot.

That the CIA don't have the brains to pour piss out of boot even when the instructions are written on its sole is no surprise; the surprise is that they had no plans other than to torture and kill to no effect whatsoever. Not even to halt future atacks. It was simply revenge violence without scruple or moral, which, in my book makes them little better than ISIS beheading muslim convert, foreign aid workers.
On the other hand, it will probably enhance the chances of yet another pathetic series of 24 being made. People sure do love their torture.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Business giants walk off with our billions. No more something for nothing
The state has the powers to make business serve us better.
A north London borough is leading the way

Aditya Chakrabortty
The Guardian, Tuesday 9 December 2014
The academics’ suggestions have been followed by one council in north London, Enfield. Officers and researchers sat down and worked out how much money its 300,000 residents sent the way of big businesses: 11 Tesco stores, for instance, provided the PLC with around £8m of its annual profit. And what did the area get back? Not very much, but the highlight included a community toilet scheme and some charitable giving from the supermarket’s corporate social responsibility department.

And so the council has started asking big businesses, such as utility firms, what they had done for Enfield recently. They’ve begun hassling banks to lend more to local businesses, the likes of British Gas to give more of their local work to local contractors with local staff – or run the risk of being named and shamed in the local press. It may sound small, but imagine if the same approach were taken by Holyrood or Cardiff – or by Westminster.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... on-borough
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Well - Newsnight have just had an interview with Natasha Bolter - former Ukip PPC - conducted by Tom Mangold (who she knows apparently) re her allegations about the General Secretary.

I think Farage might want to be having an extra large brandy with his late night ciggie ... it wasn't very good for Ukip ... regardless really of what is now found to be 'true' ... her statements about encountering sexism, racism and misogyny in the party ... ending with if that is how they treat one of their PPCs in a target seat, how are they going to treat the electorate? ... isn't good PR for them, it leaves a pretty toxic impression.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Nick Cohen retweeted
Ian Black @ian_black · 3h 3 hours ago
The Most Gruesome Moments in the CIA ‘Torture Report’ http://thebea.st/1sft2ra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @shaneharris, @timkmak
Be careful ... this is very upsetting ... especially if, like me, you have always wanted to believe things might not have been quite as bad as feared.

Compare and contrast British Intelligence in the 1940s. 'The one that got away' is the story of a German pilot who was shot down in the Battle of Britain, who was interrogated by BI after his capture. He was put in a room with another German flyer, and they systematically searched that room to see if they were being eavesdropped. Lo and behold, they found a listening device in a bedside lamp. Thereafter, they started having conversations leaning out of the room's window. After a short while, it occurred to the guy that the British had meant the device to be found and so he started poking around the window ledge doing the "testing 1, 2, 3..." thing. He was moved very soon afterwards.

Different times, different conflict, but it always struck me as a fantastic demonstration of forward planning and thinking, as well as misdirection. Make them feel safe, let them talk, and probably record the lot.

That the CIA don't have the brains to pour piss out of boot even when the instructions are written on its sole is no surprise; the surprise is that they had no plans other than to torture and kill to no effect whatsoever. Not even to halt future atacks. It was simply revenge violence without scruple or moral, which, in my book makes them little better than ISIS beheading muslim convert, foreign aid workers.
Just heard on Newsnight that those who oversaw the 'torture' were granted immunity for participating in the enquiry ....
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

citizenJA wrote:I've been trying to find some quality data & analysis regarding the general topic of UK workers not having the right skills to fill jobs in the UK. Does anyone have information for me?
This is interesting, but I'm not sure it answers your question! Skills Supply and Demand in Europe 2010-2020, published by Cedefop, the European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training:
http://www.cedefop.europa.eu/files/3052_en.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is also good, but doesn't answer your question, Impacts of migration on UK native employment: An analytical review of the evidence (March 2014)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... occ109.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The CIPD's labour market outlook surveys firms on recruitment, and they sometimes ask about recruitment from overseas (EU and non-EU):
http://www.cipd.co.uk/research/_labour-market-outlook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My own view on these surveys is that giving the reason for non-UK recruitment as a lack of skills here shows the company in a better light than saying you are recruiting overseas due to lower wage costs. Obviously no proof for that assertion.

Also, when did we accept that it is not the role of the company to train people to make sure they have the skills they need, and instead insist that people start work with the required skills?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Landmark Fife ‘bedroom tax’ ruling overturned by High Court judges
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/ ... s-1.727459
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

WelshIan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I've been trying to find some quality data & analysis regarding the general topic of UK workers not having the right skills to fill jobs in the UK. Does anyone have information for me?
This is interesting, but I'm not sure it answers your question! Skills Supply and Demand in Europe 2010-2020, published by Cedefop, the European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training:
http://www.cedefop.europa.eu/files/3052_en.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is also good, but doesn't answer your question, Impacts of migration on UK native employment: An analytical review of the evidence (March 2014)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... occ109.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The CIPD's labour market outlook surveys firms on recruitment, and they sometimes ask about recruitment from overseas (EU and non-EU):
http://www.cipd.co.uk/research/_labour-market-outlook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My own view on these surveys is that giving the reason for non-UK recruitment as a lack of skills here shows the company in a better light than saying you are recruiting overseas due to lower wage costs. Obviously no proof for that assertion.

Also, when did we accept that it is not the role of the company to train people to make sure they have the skills they need, and instead insist that people start work with the required skills?
Exactly. Thank you for the links.

Good night friends.
Love,
JA
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Some photos of Holcombe's (Bury) wind turbines - boy have they been whizzing tonight!
Edit to add the link - :oops:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Holco ... CAYQ_AUoAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Point of order: one of the photos near the top show Ian Bevan (local Tory councillor and utter twat) stood next to Bury North MP David Nuttall (utter twat). No fans of renewables they. The local Paleolithic Tories are against anything that risks dragging Bury into the present century - after all who's going to look after the interests of Neanderthal blue rinses with a massive sense of entitlement?
Nuttall be agonna come may :) Oh how we will dance and cheer! :dance:
Very likely, though his Progress member, Blairite replacement, whose intellect resembles a shallow pool doesn't fill me with joy. If you want a sound byte, he's your man. If you wnat a serious reductionist critical appreciation of the socio-economic issues facinf our borough, then you might as well hit the Tinterwebs, as he's got fuck all to say of any worth, and is firmly on the wrong side of the argument. He's well into the public purse enriching private companies. For the first time in my life, I will vote Labour locally, but may not vote for that twat.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Well - Newsnight have just had an interview with Natasha Bolter - former Ukip PPC - conducted by Tom Mangold (who she knows apparently) re her allegations about the General Secretary.

I think Farage might want to be having an extra large brandy with his late night ciggie ... it wasn't very good for Ukip ... regardless really of what is now found to be 'true' ... her statements about encountering sexism, racism and misogyny in the party ... ending with if that is how they treat one of their PPCs in a target seat, how are they going to treat the electorate? ... isn't good PR for them, it leaves a pretty toxic impression.
Given most UKIP voters are angry old men they probably thoroughly approve of this sort of thing. Happens all the time in UKIP Trumpton Land, nothing to worry about.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Some analysis

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2014/12/elephant-bedroom/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

mbc1955 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Be careful ... this is very upsetting ... especially if, like me, you have always wanted to believe things might not have been quite as bad as feared.

On the other hand, it will probably enhance the chances of yet another pathetic series of 24 being made. People sure do love their torture.
sadly, so.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

It seems that the Judicial Review vote wasn't the only one that the coalition lost today, in the Lords:
Earlier the government suffered another defeat on its plans for introducing secure colleges when the Lords voted by 304 to 240, throwing out plans that would have allowed under 15 year olds to be accommodated in the new institutions.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... iew-access" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Well - Newsnight have just had an interview with Natasha Bolter - former Ukip PPC - conducted by Tom Mangold (who she knows apparently) re her allegations about the General Secretary.

Given most UKIP voters are angry old men they probably thoroughly approve of this sort of thing. Happens all the time in UKIP Trumpton Land, nothing to worry about.
Gosh I'm your thousandth recommend!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Gosh I'm your thousandth recommend!

Thank you Ernst, now if it isn't too much trouble will everybody stop being so damn polite.

It makes me nervous.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Some analysis

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/blog/2014/12/elephant-bedroom/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm just trying to unravel my brain after going through that. Talk about a complete and utter .... up. That's going to make things very convoluted for a lot of people and organisations now. Sadly, I think it may be very bad news for a large number of those who've had their cases stayed whilst the tribunal decided on this ... and may now have to pay arrears ... especially hard.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@RR2

I don't pretend to understand all the ramifications,but what is quite clear ,given not even legal experts can,the legislation is a bloody mess ,regardless of view of actual policy.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Point of order: one of the photos near the top show Ian Bevan (local Tory councillor and utter twat) stood next to Bury North MP David Nuttall (utter twat). No fans of renewables they. The local Paleolithic Tories are against anything that risks dragging Bury into the present century - after all who's going to look after the interests of Neanderthal blue rinses with a massive sense of entitlement?
Nuttall be agonna come may :) Oh how we will dance and cheer! :dance:
Very likely, though his Progress member, Blairite replacement, whose intellect resembles a shallow pool doesn't fill me with joy. If you want a sound byte, he's your man. If you wnat a serious reductionist critical appreciation of the socio-economic issues facinf our borough, then you might as well hit the Tinterwebs, as he's got fuck all to say of any worth, and is firmly on the wrong side of the argument. He's well into the public purse enriching private companies. For the first time in my life, I will vote Labour locally, but may not vote for that twat.
I think your bar has just tipped so far over to the left it's tripping you up.
If you don't vote for "that twat" you could very well be voting for the next tory government. As a Labour councillor do you really want to condemn the rest of us to 5 more years of Tory rule? Frith may not be your ideal, but he will form part of a Labour government, not an isolated voice. Are you really saying the Labour movement is not big enough to accommodate - and listen to, if not necessarily embrace and agree with - the differing view points of those on extreme/middle/and a bit right'ish left ? I feel that, as a movement, we are bigger that that.
I'm shocked :shock:
Really shocked.