Tuesday 9th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 9th December 2014

Post by yahyah »

I see the Kippers are posting that the woman who has made harassment allegations against their general secretary is a Labour sleeper/plant.

Roger Bird is claiming he has emails/texts confirming his allegation that they had a consensual liason. Hope we will not be subjected to publication of a Kipper male's attempts at techno-sex.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Good afternoon.

Trivial I know, but the Guardian have just introduced Beta across the entire Sport site. And of course there's one of those lovely "fait accompli/try it on a different browser/put a bag on your head and do a handstand" feedback threads.

Bucket of cold sick, again.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

‘On benefits? Your CV is going in the bin’, jobseekers are told
http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/ ... -1-6457551
A job advert posted on Facebook, telling jobseekers that applications from people on benefits would be ‘going in the bin’, has been branded ‘derogatory’ and ‘insulting’.

A member of staff from the Hastings Garden Centre took to the social networking website in a bid to find a new cook for the centre’s cafe.

But the advert, posted on The Bexhill-On-Sea Group, contained the line “if you are in receipt of benefits your application is going in the bin”, prompting outrage from fellow Facebook users.

The ill-advised and unofficial job advert was quickly removed from the site, but not before many had expressed their anger and disbelief...
That someone feels entitled - and presumably no sense of shame or caution - to make this kind of statement so publicly speaks volumes for the coalition's success in demonising those in receipt of benefits - regardless of circumstance, character or any other individualising factor.

I listened to You & Yours on R4 this am - they asked people who had had to change their spending or living habits to cope with the rising cost of living to ring in and say how they were coping. One of the last calls was a woman of 60 odd who said she was in a wheelchair and couldn't afford to have her heating on or at the level it should be. She said the thermostat currently said 9degrees and warned her she was at danger of hypothermia. The presenter asked her what she was doing to try to keep warm. She had 3 T shirts, 2 jumpers, a jacket, double pair of tights on ..... you get the picture. She explained that she couldn't keep herself warm by moving about more as she is, quite obviously, in a wheelchair. She then said that she was managing but what she had really rung in to say was that it was only in the last 3 years that people - complete strangers mainly - who see her in the wheelchair have felt free to say to her that it's alright for her because she's on benefits. This is what upsets her most - she said she has gone through her entire life in the wheelchair and never, until recently, had comments and assumptions like that made to her and about her.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

NonOxCol wrote:Good afternoon.

Trivial I know, but the Guardian have just introduced Beta across the entire Sport site. And of course there's one of those lovely "fait accompli/try it on a different browser/put a bag on your head and do a handstand" feedback threads.

Bucket of cold sick, again.
Not trivial. Another little stake driven through our hearts. I'm going through a very long drawn out goodbye cruel Guardian scene.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.post2015hlp.org/wp-content/u ... -World.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the developing countries, self-employment is the norm: 53% of workers in low-income
countries and 36% in lower-middle-income countries are self-employed, predominantly in
agriculture in both cases (Ginding and Newhouse, forthcoming).
Self-employment is also equated on occasion with entrepreneurship, but this too may be
misleading. To many, “entrepreneurship” conjures up the image of a person taking the risk of
setting up a business with the intent of making it grow and prosper; see, for example, Parker
(2004) or Baumol and Schelling (2008). However, in the context of developing countries, the
goal of much self-employment is a much more limited one: to earn money for a time
– hopefully,
a short time – until the individual can get out of that activity and into a more remunerative one.
Sounds kind of like the UK under a Tory government.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Just had a nice long political YouGov survey to complete. Very cathartic :lol:

Especially liked Liz Truss listed in the future Conservatives leader.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Finally a decent article on #CameronMustGo! The Mirror has managed to do what the broadsheets have failed to do - explain accurately about trending, give a similar example (Bieber) but still giving credit to the fact that there are still an awful lot of CMG tweets going on and without once sneering at the people tweeting.

Still no real mention of the very real and serious issues many of the CMG tweets have raised surrounding David Cameron's government, mind, but I suppose you can't expect everything.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... ecd-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Revealed: how the wealth gap holds back economic growth
OECD report rejects trickle-down economics, noting ‘sizeable and statistically negative impact’ of income inequality

The west’s leading economic thinktank on Tuesday dismissed the concept of trickle-down economics as it found that the UK economy would have been more than 20% bigger had the gap between rich and poor not widened since the 1980s.

The OECD said that the richest 10% of the population now earned 9.5 times the income of the poorest 10%, up from seven times in the 1980s. However, the result had been slower, not faster, growth.

It concluded that “income inequality has a sizeable and statistically negative impact on growth, and that redistributive policies achieving greater equality in disposable income has no adverse growth consequences.

“Moreover, it [the data collected from the thinktank’s 34 rich country members] suggests it is inequality at the bottom of the distribution that hampers growth.”
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:I just sort of" stumbled "down the stairs this morning I'm bit concerned if that incurs a sanction; is there a phone number to check ?
Are you okay? Are you hurt? Do you need help?

edited to note - I thought you had an appointment & fell down the stairs - I think you're joking. I'm a dreadful bore.

You are not boring.I was only jesting about IDS and his latest nonsense.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Scottish Labour is doomed, doomed I tell you!

http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-o ... tion/29853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comments BTL are interesting. Includes this peach "..... Great and good Pastor Bonhoeffer once said, “I stopped arguing with the Nazis when they became too stupid to argue with.” Plainly, a hefty number of Scots feel the same way about the British political establishment. Hence Salmond’s notice that if Scotland doesn’t get the powers it wants it will simply take them. "
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

StephenDolan wrote:Scottish Labour is doomed, doomed I tell you!

http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-o ... tion/29853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comments BTL are interesting. Includes this peach "..... Great and good Pastor Bonhoeffer once said, “I stopped arguing with the Nazis when they became too stupid to argue with.” Plainly, a hefty number of Scots feel the same way about the British political establishment. Hence Salmond’s notice that if Scotland doesn’t get the powers it wants it will simply take them. "
Is that the same Scottish Labour who are currently running 3 points behind the SNP?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/No ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Northampton councillor defects from Conservative to Lib Dem
I suppose "Northampton councillor takes early retirement" would have been less of a headline.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ThatNiceMrGrayling.jpg
ThatNiceMrGrayling.jpg (45.67 KiB) Viewed 16201 times
Martin Rowson ‏@MartinRowson 4h4 hours ago
And here's that nice Mr Chris Grayling I've just done for @englishpen to celebrate overthrow of his prison book ban pic.twitter.com/4wwW0dLcUa
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's already dark outside.
My throat hurts & it's cold.

The wind is howling.
I like the howling wind sound.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson retweeted
BritishElectionStudy @BESResearch · 1h 1 hour ago
Matt Goodwin: Ukips strategic challenge is to connect with women and younger voters. #BESInsights
:lol:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that strategy planning meeting ...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:It's already dark outside.

The wind is howling.
And I know a howlin' wind runs through here blowin' every day
Yeah a howlin' wind runs through here takes my breath away
or
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.
Take your pick
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Are in-work benefits in the UK a magnet for EU migrants? Declan Gaffney

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2014/12/ar ... WM.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The wind is howling.
Feel better soon :hug:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Afternoon!

I'm wondering whether Anatoly enjoyed seeing Rachel Reeves playing chess against Garry Kasparov?!

And that makes me think, did we ever get a by-election round up for last week? I was looking forward to a blow by blow account of the declaration fail :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:Are in-work benefits in the UK a magnet for EU migrants? Declan Gaffney

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2014/12/ar ... WM.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting piece. The comparison they try to make is almost impossible though - I'd have thought. The variation in the kind of living circumstances of those coming to any country for work can't really be factored in or assumed reliably. The housing costs they apply aren't specified but I get the impression that it's most likely based on an average flat rental amount ... which may be OK if a couple come over here together with their children and live as a discreet household. But as we know that's not always the case - and there are many people who come over here on their own and live in multi occupancy flats / rooms with other workers whilst supporting their partners and children back in their country of origin.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Afternoon!

I'm wondering whether Anatoly enjoyed seeing Rachel Reeves playing chess against Garry Kasparov?!

And that makes me think, did we ever get a by-election round up for last week? I was looking forward to a blow by blow account of the declaration fail :lol:
It's up over the other place.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am - by both coincidence and mistake - re-reading Jonathon Coe's what a carve up (the mistake arising from the fact that it was republished in the US as the Winshaw Legacy which I bought in a second hand shop by mistake). Fortunately I read it so long ago, I've forgotten everything except that I enjoyed it the first time round. Have just read Hilary Winshaw's "piece" on the miners' strikes.

Uncanny.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:

The wind is howling.
Many thanks - it's the early darkness that gets me - it must be a biological phenomenon beyond the control of the thinking mind - every part of me says, "retreat, find your den, go there, sleep until it's light again"

I'm better now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Are in-work benefits in the UK a magnet for EU migrants? Declan Gaffney

No.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dan Hodges retweeted
Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick · 4h 4 hours ago
Roger Bird tells me he has emails and texts which show he and Natasha Bolter had a relationship between 18 September and 2 November
I don't want to know. The Ukip show has been like a nasty Brian Rix farce for too long now. Please let it end.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

The wind is howling.
And I know a howlin' wind runs through here blowin' every day
Yeah a howlin' wind runs through here takes my breath away
or
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.

Take your pick
It's cold outside And the paint's peeling off of my walls
There's a man outside In a long coat, grey hat, smoking a cigarette
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've been trying to find some quality data & analysis regarding the general topic of UK workers not having the right skills to fill jobs in the UK. Does anyone have information for me?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Here's the roundup:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Delayed local council byelection roundup - four last week:

Thurrock - UKIP hold a ward they won this May and in 2012 (before that it had been Tory, though with some low vote shares in recent years - before then the BNP had been strong runners up in 2007 & '08) There was a small swing back to the Tories since UKIP's decisive win earlier this year, but arguably their dubious campaigning here was lucky to get even that (some tasteless attacks on the "foreign" UKIP candidate, amongst other things - ironic, I know) Labour third, but unlike the top two actually increasing their share on 6 months ago, followed by an Independent who still polled a respectable 12%.

Rossendale DC - Labour hold (though the official election declaration achieved notoriety by posting a Tory gain until it was "corrected" several hours later) with a negligible swing since May as both they and the Tories gained slightly at the expense of third placed UKIP who fell slightly since their initial outing here then, though they still polled over 22%. Like most of the borough this has stayed very much a Tory/Labour battle in recent years (in 2010 the LibDems came from nowhere to nearly win, though they equally quickly vanished again) with Labour winning all three seats in 2002 "all outs" but the Tories then triumphing in every election until 2008 (with the sole exception of a Labour win in 2006) and Labour every time since 2010, though in both cases some results were close. As with Thurrock, this is in a key Tory marginal next year and Labour will be pleased to have edged up in both.

Mansfield DC - Labour gain from Mansfield Independents (who hold the elected mayoral post here after holding it by a hairsbreadth in 2011, but did not stand in this vacancy) as they increased their share by double figures to well over half the vote, though UKIP stepped into the vacuum left here by the Indies by polling a good second with over 37%. Completing what was a rather unusual trio of candidates was TUSC, who finished in their usual bottom position but polled nearly 5% - a bit better than the norm.

Adur DC - finally, a rather unusual Friday contest saw a Tory hold with a small pro-Labour swing since May as both increased their share modestly (though Labour were still further away than 2012 when they ran the Tories quite close in this normally safe ward) UKIP just behind in 3rd, edging up to a new high of over 24%, having contested this seat - in contrast to many others - at every election since 2008. Greens (who came second here in 2006 and 2008) bottom with a tiny decrease on May, though they at least stood unlike the LibDems who came last then; as elsewhere in this once "flagship" council they have vanished and it is notable they did not trouble the scorers in any of the four results in this survey.

Eleven contests next week, the penultimate one before 2014 signs out electorally.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break,
If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break
When The Levee Breaks I'll have no place to stay.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

On a gathering storm comes
a tall handsome man
in a dusty black coat with
a red right hand

For Peaky Blinders fans.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

and nick cave?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have been married for more years than I dare admit, and therefore not used to 21st century sexual manners, but the bits I've seen of Nigel Bird's texts supposedly proving he was in a relationship don't seem to show that specifically.
Last edited by yahyah on Tue 09 Dec, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kam
Backbencher

Post by Kam »

This I fear maybe the prelude to the reduction of in work benefits for all if the Tories win in May. The one thing they have made abundantly clear is the reduction of 'welfare'
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

yahyah wrote:Have been married for more years than I dare admit, and therefore not used to 21st century sexual manners, but the bits I've seen of Nigel Bird's texts supposedly proving he was in a relationship don't seem to show that specifically.

I can't believe he's only 41, Christ he must have had a big paper round as a kid?!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

tinyclanger2 wrote:and nick cave?
And X-files if you go back far enough.
Release the Guardvarks.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

tinyclanger2 wrote:and nick cave?
Correct! :clap:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rob Merrick ‏@Rob_Merrick 2h2 hours ago
@odysseanproject Care to comment on this? - http://bit.ly/1G9twY7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ....you were very keen to get this school set up, I believe?

odysseanproject
‏@odysseanproject
@Rob_Merrick I don't know re these issues but I do know the DfE/EFA made a series of awful blunders viz that school that nearly killed it
An exchange about this Free school ... which appears to be in a lot of trouble.
Free school slammed over finance and governance
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... overnance/
A CONTROVERSIAL free school has been rapped for its financial and governance arrangements.

Durham Free School, which only opened in September last year, was hit with a Financial Notice to Improve after an Education Funding Agency (EFA) review found “significant weaknesses”.

The school, based in Gilesgate, Durham City, has been temporarily stripped of some powers and given a list of issues it must address, including recruiting more parent governors and establishing an audit committee.

If the school fails to satisfy the order, it could have its funding agreement terminated...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:Scottish Labour is doomed, doomed I tell you!

That first comment on there is basically made up, isn't it?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oh thank goodness FTN is back. I was getting withdrawal symptoms.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

The wind is howling.
Many thanks - it's the early darkness that gets me - it must be a biological phenomenon beyond the control of the thinking mind - every part of me says, "retreat, find your den, go there, sleep until it's light again"

I'm better now.
I'm disappointed we weren't created with the capability to hibernate.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good evening to one and all

Bloody freezing here today! First snow in the mountains though so all the skiiers hoping to get out before the tourists descend at Christmas!

Just watching the news come in from the report on CIA torture

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live ... sed-senate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like a struggle to get this published - can see why!

One thing I never understand - why is it when there is gross law breaking and illegality by large institutions or the rich, a common and simple apology is seen to be sufficient, or a change to 'working practices'? It is almost like the 'rich need carrots, whilst the poor need sticks' approach.

Nobody in prison for the massive frauds that took place before 2008, no-one for misselling of PPI, nor Libor, nor exchange rate manipulation. It seems like no-one for ttorture - the latter also being a war crime and if institutionalized may be grounds for a trip to the Hague or perhaps Calle Me Dave and his little poodle will be calling for airstrikes on the US and drone attacks on GWB?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

StephenDolan wrote:Just had a nice long political YouGov survey to complete. Very cathartic :lol:

Especially liked Liz Truss listed in the future Conservatives leader.
Mr Ohso saw Liz Truss giving a speech the other day. Twas the first time he'd seen her.

He sat in stunned silence for a few minutes and then said. Jeez, is she for real?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
‘On benefits? Your CV is going in the bin’, jobseekers are told
http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/ ... -1-6457551
A job advert posted on Facebook, telling jobseekers that applications from people on benefits would be ‘going in the bin’, has been branded ‘derogatory’ and ‘insulting’.

A member of staff from the Hastings Garden Centre took to the social networking website in a bid to find a new cook for the centre’s cafe.

But the advert, posted on The Bexhill-On-Sea Group, contained the line “if you are in receipt of benefits your application is going in the bin”, prompting outrage from fellow Facebook users.

The ill-advised and unofficial job advert was quickly removed from the site, but not before many had expressed their anger and disbelief...
That someone feels entitled - and presumably no sense of shame or caution - to make this kind of statement so publicly speaks volumes for the coalition's success in demonising those in receipt of benefits - regardless of circumstance, character or any other individualising factor.

I listened to You & Yours on R4 this am - they asked people who had had to change their spending or living habits to cope with the rising cost of living to ring in and say how they were coping. One of the last calls was a woman of 60 odd who said she was in a wheelchair and couldn't afford to have her heating on or at the level it should be. She said the thermostat currently said 9degrees and warned her she was at danger of hypothermia. The presenter asked her what she was doing to try to keep warm. She had 3 T shirts, 2 jumpers, a jacket, double pair of tights on ..... you get the picture. She explained that she couldn't keep herself warm by moving about more as she is, quite obviously, in a wheelchair. She then said that she was managing but what she had really rung in to say was that it was only in the last 3 years that people - complete strangers mainly - who see her in the wheelchair have felt free to say to her that it's alright for her because she's on benefits. This is what upsets her most - she said she has gone through her entire life in the wheelchair and never, until recently, had comments and assumptions like that made to her and about her.
We are fast becoming a sick society.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RE: #CameronMustGo Twitter
ephemerid wrote:
Whilst I wouldn't put it past this hideous government, I don't think it is guilty of censorship this time.
It's exactly the sort of dirty trick they'd try, but the dreadful point is no-one would be shocked or surprised.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

So let me get this right, David Laws is offering something called a ''parents guarantee'' in the LibDems manifesto, which means that children will be taught by a qualified teacher, am I correct so far, help me out 'cos I have been out of synch for a while?

But didn't he go along with Gove in introducing non qualified teachers in the first place, or am I being unduly harsh on the £40 grand pocketing, jail avoiding shyster?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

IamalrightJack ‏@IamalrightJack Dec 7
#bbcnews Shock News! Iain Duncan Smith has not got GCSE to his name!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressr ... s_cv.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … #CameronMustGo Everyone RT

Whilst I've always been convinced that you don't need exam results to be a decent person with the capability to rise to great heights, I am appalled at the above purely because he passes himself off as better than he is. His whole personna is sham and denial, and I'm sorry but I don't want people like that telling me what to do or what's good for me.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:So let me get this right, David Laws is offering something called a ''parents guarantee'' in the LibDems manifesto, which means that children will be taught by a qualified teacher, am I correct so far, help me out 'cos I have been out of synch for a while?

But didn't he go along with Gove in introducing non qualified teachers in the first place, or am I being unduly harsh on the £40 grand pocketing, jail avoiding shyster?
Laws has been out of synch with DfE policy for quite a while - he aligned himself with Wilshaw over a middle tier and still thinks that what Gove introduced isn't enough. Can't recall who said it but someone pointed out that Laws and Hunt would work very well together as they agree a lot on policy.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:Oh thank goodness FTN is back. I was getting withdrawal symptoms.
I'm glad it wasn't just me!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Anybody know if Mike from New Cross is any closer to getting a job after his chat with James O'Brien earlier today?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Feel better soon :hug:

I'm better now.
I'm disappointed we weren't created with the capability to hibernate.
My daughter does a pretty convincing impression of hibernation tbh.