Monday 3rd October 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 3rd October 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Mondy 3rd October 2022

Post by refitman »

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Morning refit

Tory donor appalled at ‘GCSE economics’ defects to Labour
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory ... -tp9730prb

Solid criticism of TrussCo's O Level economics --
As an entrepreneur, Quarry is scathing about Truss and Kwarteng’s priorities. “They’re showing scant recognition of what is important to business,” he said. “As a businessman who has built a number of businesses, it does not matter a jot to my investment decisions whether corporation tax is at 19 per cent or 25 per cent or possibly higher.”

He added: “A 45 per cent marginal rate of tax is no disincentive for me to work. Above 50 per cent might be a tipping point but below that, the personal tax reductions for higher earners are pointless and simply exacerbate the feeling of inequality.”

Quarry has been impressed by Starmer and his team. At conference he met Rachel Reeves, the shadow chancellor, Wes Streeting, the shadow health secretary, Peter Kyle, the shadow Northern Ireland secretary, and Bridget Phillipson, the shadow education secretary. They were, he said, “universally sensible, fiscally responsible, centre-ground, mature, honest, pro-business and seeking to act in the best interest of the country”.

He added: “I do think Starmer and his colleagues really do want to build a very close partnership between government and business.”

Labour is seeking more donations from individuals amid concern that trade unions are less willing to fund the party. Lord Levy, who helped to raise more than £100 million for Labour under Sir Tony Blair’s leadership, has been helping Starmer. Fran Perrin, daughter of the former Labour donor Lord Sainsbury of Turville, gave £250,000 this year.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Organisation skills a little lacking apparently...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And this...oh dear...not a good look.

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" Kay Burley trying to deflect to Jeremy Corbyn is hilarious. The Tories still trying to whatabout their way out of the economic disaster they've brought on the country."

Ain't she a snake !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Some light entertainment --

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

There's an embarrassment of riches for labour to use at the next election...it's almost like Tories have realised they're doomed so that don't think they need to worry about what they say.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The "no regulations at all for businesses employing under 500 people" is maybe the "best" one so far.

SMALL BUSINESSES THEMSELVES actively don't want this.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Another lie...I think they should probably pack up and go home now...

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Mon 03 Oct, 2022 11:49 am Another lie...I think they should probably pack up and go home now...
Looks like the substance abuse is having serious consequences ?

Here is one of the other examples --

1h ago 10.55 BST
Gerard Lyons, an economist who has given advice to the Liz Truss team, has said Kwasi Kwarteng was wrong to say that he was not warned that unfunded tax cuts would alarm the financial markets.

In his Today interview Kwarteng said he could not “remember” being warned by Lyons that the markets would not tolerate unfunded tax cuts. But Lyons told PA Media:

Well that’s incorrect. I was very clear.

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote: Mon 03 Oct, 2022 11:18 am Some light entertainment --

They never learn though, rw commentators and tory MPs alike. How many times did Johnson send them out to defend his latest batshit idea, only to hang them out to dry with a u-turn in short order.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Mon 03 Oct, 2022 11:36 am The "no regulations at all for businesses employing under 500 people" is maybe the "best" one so far.

SMALL BUSINESSES THEMSELVES actively don't want this.
It was first trailed as increasing the employment numbers to define a SME, from 250 to 500, I suspect it's a rare genuine example of rubbish comms.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

Chris Philp says (Sky TV News), "I'm no grass."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote: Mon 03 Oct, 2022 2:09 pm Good morfternoon.

Chris Philp says (Sky TV News), "I'm no grass."
Conference going well, then?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

To call the applause Kwarteng is getting during his speech 'light' would be somewhat of an exaggeration.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

From AS.
Kwarteng says the government will deregulate in a series of areas: childcare, agriculture, immigration, planning, energy, business and financial services.
leaving aside the financial services open goal, you just know that if they deregulate in childcare - presumably the ratio of adults / children & the need for childminders to be Ofsted-registered, then something terrible will happen, and there will be a call for tighter controls.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 3rd October 2022

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

It's interesting that while the Tories are having this nightmare the Lib-Dems are not only failing to capitalise on it but are going backwards. It's not just Conservative voters Labour are hoovering up.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not having a party conference has quite likely hurt them tbh, I'm surprised they don't seem more interested in rescheduling it soon.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Meanwhile...

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Suella strikes again.

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I'm not sure this is the engagement that the Tories were after

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Mon 03 Oct, 2022 6:34 pm Suella strikes again.
Wondering if this from yesterday also has legs --

Tell us more

Probably best not to without the agreement of the whatsap group.
Liz was an Account Manager (sales person) and I was for my sins her Technical Sales Support in C&W in the early 2000s

I was asking as I can not believe she held any position of importance prior to politics….

It was not a position of importance in any way.
WIKI --
In 2000, Truss was employed by Cable & Wireless and rose to economic director before leaving in 2005.[29]

After losing her first two elections, Truss became the full-time deputy director of Reform in January 2008,[30] where she advocated more rigorous academic standards in schools, a greater focus on tackling serious and organised crime, and urgent action to deal with Britain's falling competitiveness.[
So she went from sales person to econ director, and then rather swiftly left for politics, thinktankworld, and GLORY ... ! :-)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The thought of JRM in "adult" films is certainly........something.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I see Elon Musk has been openly spouting Kremlin propaganda resulting in him being humiliatingly 'ratioed' by Zelensky.

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Yep but there's still the 15% , who can buy AR15's ...

Interrogation at the pool today “what do you think of KC3 ? ”

It turned out that she had met him many times, chatting in French too !

Her late husband parachuted into some feet of water, on the east side of the Caen canal and river running down to the Sword landing Beach, very early on the morning of D Day, and he then survived the next eight days of hard fighting.

He married a French woman twenty years his junior , and took part for the next sixty and more years with his wife in a number of ceremonies of remembrance and regimental dinners here, often with the then Prince and now KC3 .

I don’t yet know what his movements were after he landed, but this gives some idea of the chaos of a rather bungled airborne operation , and then small groups finding themselves behind enemy lines …

https://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/war_9thBatt.htm
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Mon 03 Oct, 2022 8:44 pm The thought of JRM in "adult" films is certainly........something.
It brings to mind images of the blue rinse brigade salivating over Jacob's haunted pencil which is not something I was planning on imagining today.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This is great.

Tories accuse police of failing to protect conference delegates from protesters

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2022 ... protesters

So basically the Tories accuse the police of allowing delegates to be spat at and physically assaulted and the police respond by saying, 'Nah that never happened and where's our money you tight bastards'.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well, I'm sure that all organisations - including schools - having finally got to grips with GDPR and constructed policies that comply with the regulations, will just love the idea of having to change them in line with the government's desire to simply change anything which had EU involvement...

What a bunch of berks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Mon 03 Oct, 2022 9:44 pm This is great.

Tories accuse police of failing to protect conference delegates from protesters

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2022 ... protesters

So basically the Tories accuse the police of allowing delegates to be spat at and physically assaulted and the police respond by saying, 'Nah that never happened and where's our money you tight bastards'.
I noticed that a journalist tried to push the idea that Michael Fabricant was assaulted and pushed to the ground, whereupon the man himself - to his credit - said "Nah, didn't happen"...
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well it had to happen, now the right wing Tories have a problem with 'centrists'.

Why I've had enough of centrist talking heads - Tim Stanley

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/1 ... ing-heads/
My favourite Doctor Centrist is Rory Stewart. Last week he was interviewed by Joe.co.uk, who did his usual thing of saying the Conservative Party had left him rather than the other way around, presumably when it declined to elect him leader. “If only all Tories were like you,” comes the chorus, “I’d consider voting for them.”

Liars! For a start, the myth that the Conservatives have suddenly gone mad because they are cutting taxes for the rich is, well, a bit rich given that they did exactly the same during the Coalition, when Rory was still a Tory MP. Rory is lauded now because it is useful to find an ex-Conservative to attack the Conservatives, but his cuddliness is very much in the eye of the beholder. In that same interview, he said that though Truss can be fun to talk to, it is “difficult to have a detailed, thoughtful conversation with [her]. It’s almost as if there’s attention deficit disorder.” That’s not very nice, is it?

He went on to say that politics has declined into provocative simplicity, which is sadly correct, but if that sensationalist approach is found among the people who wrote the budget, might we not say it’s found among some of those who criticise it as well? The Financial Times knocked up a loopy graph that plotted parties by ideology and claimed that the Tories had leap-frogged the US Republicans to the far-Right of the economic spectrum. This is ridiculous; they still support progressive taxation, the NHS will go unreformed and they’ll let in even more migrants. These political compasses exist not to show where politicians stand but to mark out a zone of acceptability in our discourse, somewhere around the Rory Stewart centre. Step an inch away, to Left or Right, and you are labelled a lunatic.