Thursday 6th October 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 6th October 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Re: Thursday 6th October 2022

Post by notnowsonny »

One of Jake Berry's intended-to-be-clipped-for-wider-broadcast-bits in his Nick Ferrari interview was, "When the going gets tough, the Truss gets going". God help me!

In other matters, I see that John Stevens, formerly of the Mail, has replaced Pippa Crerar at the Mirror. Hmmm.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Crerar wrote for right wing rags before the Mirror, journalists can be remarkably "flexible" about these things.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Thu 06 Oct, 2022 11:53 am Crerar wrote for right wing rags before the Mirror, journalists can be remarkably "flexible" about these things.
And for the Guardian too. You make my (admittedly obscure) point for me.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I signed the immediate GE one as a bit of a joke
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/619781

But this other one languishing in a corner is deadly serious and almost nobody is at all interested

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok so I've just planted a small chicken and vegetable pie in the garden and am confident that come next Spring all those mocking Truss will be laughing on the other sides of their faces when my pie tree grows and I end up with loads of free pies.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Jesus wept. Save me Brian Cox.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

You don't like Nandy?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

‘Truss doesn’t understand what I wrote about economics’ | Rick Perlstein

2 971 vues 6 oct. 2022 When the Times interviewed Liz Truss at the end of last year, she told us she “read anything” by the American historian Rick Perlstein He chronicles the rise of the new US right between 1960 and 1980, in the Nixon and Reagan eras.

Perlstein is confused by her endorsement.”

” Trussonomics has been tried, and every time… it failed .”
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Mr Perlstein said that, during her leadership campaign, one of Ms Truss’s aides was “kind of peddling this quote” as an example of why she should win, as she “understood what Reagan understood: that you’re supposed to bamboozle the public”.

“She didn’t grasp, apparently, that it was cynicism,” he said.

“The idea that someone would come across the account that I offer of the cynicism, intellectual vacuity, and just basic emptiness of the promises that were made by Ronald Reagan in this regard, and say, ‘Jolly good, this is what I’m going to try for England’, is kind of mind-blowing.

“America is bad off with Trump, but this is a terrible situation for England that they would endorse a leader like this.”

Mr Perlstein said the theme of the book was that Mr Reagan “basically created this fantasy about how to create a prosperous and dynamic society, one of the tenets of which was this fantasy about lowering taxes on the rich, creating prosperity for everyone”.

“I feel terribly, terribly guilty,” he said.
Killer !
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Thu 06 Oct, 2022 5:32 pm You don't like Nandy?
Like? Well...let's just say I admire her because she's good at what she does and leave it at that.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Gilgamesh9626484 @champagne_burps

this is a big deal, your books might lead to the downfall of the UK.

Write a little faster, I believe in you.

It'd be nice if that story got onto QT tonite !
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

a colleague at work many years ago once described someone as having "the kind of face you'd never tire of kicking"
of course you're not allowed to say this kind of thing anymore but i occasionally think of her fondly
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Question Time review from Westminster.

For the Tories we had Nadhim Zahawi. It was almost sad to witness Nadhim being wheeled out during the fag end of Johnson's reign, you could tell his heart wasn't in it and he was going through the motions...but now he's back! The pugnacious, shouty, pig headed Zahawi has returned for a new challenge! And what a challenge it is. Tonight it mostly involved getting into a shouting match with Piers Morgan and coming off second best with the audience laughing at him. Morgan asked him to say sorry on behalf of the government for the financial chaos they've caused and after going a bit mental and trying to blame Putin for everything Nadhim actually did it. He said sorry. Not that he meant it of course, he just wanted the shouting and laughter to stop and presumably had his fingers crossed behind his back. Another highlight was Fiona Bruce repeatedly asking him about the IFS report which demonstrates for every pound we poor people gain in tax reduction the treasury will be taking two back in return. Nadhim skilfully countered this by repeatedly answering a different question while hoping nobody noticed. As performances go it was absolutely woeful and most of us would wake up in a cold sweat if we'd made such a total spectacle of ourselves in public. But not Zahawi, he's back and he's kicking ass!

For Labour we had Lisa Nandy. Lisa didn't say much because she didn't have to, but what she did say ticked all the right boxes, and most importantly she didn't sound like a robot. Faint praise I hear you cry but not sounding like an automaton puts her head and shoulders above most of her Labour colleagues. She's a natural communicator, whether you agree with her or not it's hard to question her sincerity, even when she's clearly reading from a pre-prepared script in her head. She exudes a kind of indignant empathy which gives her an air of authenticity rare in a politician. She really seems to mean it. As I said above, she's good at what she does.

For flatulent arseholes we had Piers Morgan. It was no surprise to see Piers follow the populist path of least resistance and slag off Truss and he did it quite well but as the Mythbusters demonstrated it really is very easy to shoot fish in a barrel and he's still a prick. The fact that this QT performance will be the biggest audience he's had in a while must really dent his ego. I mean what channel is he even on now? Is it like Quest +1 or something?

For the awesomeness that is Brian Cox we had Brian Cox. Brian started off well, sharing his displeasure at recent political goings on, getting a bit riled up and bashing the table to emphasise said displeasure, then he got a bit carried away and went on a lengthy ramble about how the police in this country needed to be re-educated. I knew what he meant but the way he said it sounded a bit authoritarian state/70's sci-fi and he lost the audience. I mean I have a fairly low opinion of our boys and girls in blue, based entirely upon experience, but I don't want them being sent into booths which glow for a few seconds and they come out with a fixed grin and a newfound appreciation of dub reggae and Margaret Atwood.

For whatever reason we again had the 'black farmer' Wilfred Emmanuel-Jones. I owe Wilfred an apology, last time he was on I slagged off his sausages because they were full of gristle, but a couple of weeks ago I got some more reduced to clear and they were really nice. As for his performance the man is an absolute fucking idiot. His defence of Truss was that life is all about taking risks. Without risk takers civilisation would stagnate. Superficially, if you were about 5 years old, such an argument would hold merit. Wilfred however is old enough to know better, or at least he should be. I mean there are risks like sticking a fiver on a horse at the bookies and then there's risks like tanking the economy to the point of people facing the prospect of losing their houses and pensions. Fool.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Thu 06 Oct, 2022 11:03 pm a colleague at work many years ago once described someone as having "the kind of face you'd never tire of kicking"
of course you're not allowed to say this kind of thing anymore but i occasionally think of her fondly
To be honest TC I've never felt like kicking anyone in the face.

Largely because it would be quite difficult and I have limbs higher up my body more suited to the task of inflicting harm.

In fact I reckon if I tried to kick someone in the face it would be me who ended up in hospital.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

As for Froggy's posts about Truss completely misunderstanding her self confessed favourite historian to his disgust/amusement it's something that's been going on since Herodotus banged on Cleon's door and said, "Τι στο διάολο, φίλε."

Not in modern Greek obviously but it's been 20 years since I scraped through the ancient stuff.

Plus it obviously never happened, Herodotus died about the time Cleon was born.

But you get my drift.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

She's so popular.

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

vis a vis kicking faces. clearly neither I nor my colleauge "Auntie Marie" would ever actually do this. it was merely a "turn of phrase" that conveyed so much it amused the **** out of me.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'