Thursday 13th October 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 13th October 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 13th October 2022

Post by RogerOThornhill »

There's dysfunctional governments and there is this one...

Source told The Sun: “It's clear that there is widespread frustration in gov with Suella’s freelancing. She's running a blatant leadership campaign but it’s having a destabilising effect on the gov. She needs to focus on the day job and stop her antics or she won’t last long."
:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

They can't just sack her because the potential replacements are also screaming nutters?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Poetry.

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote: Thu 13 Oct, 2022 10:11 am They can't just sack her because the potential replacements are also screaming nutters?
Why was she included in the first place, is maybe the more pertinent question.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Thu 13 Oct, 2022 11:53 am Why was she included in the first place, is maybe the more pertinent question.
Maybe someone sent her into the Home Office to photocopy some stuff and she got a bit carried away and declared herself Home Secretary and now nobody has the heart to tell her otherwise? She does have form with this kind of thing.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Hoots mon it's Scottish Question Time tonight.

I wonder if they'll get Alastair Campbell to do the theme music on his pipes.

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Had a siesta ! Woke up to see sterling up at $1.12 and 30y gilt yield at 4.6%, so the Market Enemy has decided there WILL be massive U-turns on the Kamikwasi not-a-budget .

“Growth growth growth” is so much NOT a message for these times when the whole world is in such a parlous state heading for starvations and recessions.

Unfortunately it’s not only the deranged Truss harping on about it, but Starmer and Reeves are parroting along . Minimising a recession and sharing the pain would be a more honest goal, but that would require vision, honesty, courage ...

“G” was always the refuge of those pretending it was a magic bullet to solve inequalities of income and wealth , which when you think back, was just another version of trickle down.

It worked a bit in good times, like what they call here the Twenty Glorious PostWar era years, but only then.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Ok, I didn't see this one coming

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote: Thu 13 Oct, 2022 3:09 pm Had a siesta ! Woke up to see sterling up at $1.12 and 30y gilt yield at 4.6%, so the Market Enemy has decided there WILL be massive U-turns on the Kamikwasi not-a-budget .
As others are pointing out, if this supposed u-turn doesn't arrive then Truss and Kwarteng will end up in an even worse position than they were before.

It seems to me if they were both sacked today and we put the Pound on a trampoline nobody would notice the difference.
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

I've been having one of my regular watching-music-on-YouTube afternoons and reminded myself of this one, which describes our joint position under crap PM number 4:

Really love the song!
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Thu 13 Oct, 2022 3:43 pm Ok, I didn't see this one coming
I wouldn't put anything past that grasping, conniving piece of shit.

Looking at the 'Meta' lawyers arguments in court they're not even trying to defend him. it looks like they're saying that even if Clegg is guilty it's nothing to do with them, effectively hanging him out to dry if the case goes any further. Which obviously we all hope it does.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

notnowsonny wrote: Thu 13 Oct, 2022 4:08 pm I've been having one of my regular watching-music-on-YouTube afternoons and reminded myself of this one, which describes our joint position under crap PM number 4:
I wonder if this one's on Liz's playlist?

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Thu 13 Oct, 2022 4:21 pm
refitman wrote: Thu 13 Oct, 2022 3:43 pm Ok, I didn't see this one coming
I wouldn't put anything past that grasping, conniving piece of shit.
The only ever leading UK politician to have had approval ratings worse than Truss does currently (no, Corbyn never quite managed it)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Thu 13 Oct, 2022 4:35 pm I wonder if this one's on Liz's playlist?
I'll see you and raise with:

notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

Or even:

though this is better when you're two bottles in and with someone who really likes Yes!
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I do believe I'll be investigating Savoy Brown further, that was great. Cheers Notnowsonny.
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Thu 13 Oct, 2022 5:34 pm I do believe I'll be investigating Savoy Brown further, that was great. Cheers Notnowsonny.
:rock:
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

As citizenJA often used to post.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I do miss CJA and hope she's well.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear...keep going Agent Truss, you're doing a cracking job

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I feel like I'm coming down with something so this one's going to be a bit rubbish I fear.

QT review from Musselburgh which I have fond memories of from my childhood, especially the beach.

Just a quick word about the audience. QT has form when it comes to its audience selection being blatantly anti-SNP but tonight was an improvement. There was plenty of discontent expressed at the SNP, as you would expect, but at least they actually seemed to have supporters in the audience, the lack of whom has always been ludicrously noticeable in the past.

For said SNP we had John Swinney. John's always had a somewhat laid back style, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It certainly didn't during his brief tenure as leader of the SNP, but on programmes like this it does. He won't get into a shouty slanging matches he'll just keep his cool and calmly make his points. This is not to be confused with the likes of Starmer. Underneath it all Swinney has a personality and sense of humour which makes him a terrible liar because he always has a giveaway wry smile on his face when he's bullshitting. Like tonight when he tried to claim Nicola Sturgeon didn't really detest the Tories.

For the Tories we had Douglas Ross. You have to feel a bit sorry for Douglas, he's been mocked by his Westminster colleagues. He's being trounced in the polls as a result of the actions of those same Westminster colleagues. Will he come out and defend them? Of course he will. Like some sad, tragic battered spouse. Despite her innumerable faults at least Ruth Davidson always stood for a distinct liberal form of Scottish Conservatism and didn't take any shit from her party down South. Not so with Douglas. To be fair he did briefly develop a rudimentary spine when he called for Johnson to resign...only for him to revert to invertebratism soon after and recant. Tonight he was telling us Liz Truss will win the next election. For once Jacob Rees-Mogg was right.

For Labour we had Anas Sarwar. To be honest I've not seen much of Anas as I'm sure most of us haven't and he was alright. Nothing special but not bad. At least he didn't encourage people to vote Tory like some of his predecessors. I've seen some optimistic press around Scottish Labour in the last week or so, especially in the Guardian. They had quite a funny editorial warning the SNP not to underestimate the threat of a resurgent Labour while on the same day John Curtice produced figures showing Labour's gains were coming almost entirely from the Tories. It's just a churn of the same unionist votes. I'm not saying that's bad for Labour but to get back to where they were is going to take more than some bloke being blandly passable on Question Time.

For the Spectator we had Isabel Hardman. Isabel's one of the few of the right wing commentariat that I have any time for and she was good again tonight. Unlike her colleagues she's someone with an opposing political view who I can absolutely respect. There's no whataboutery or playing the victim or any of the other bullshit they get up to, she has an honesty which makes her much more effective. When she questioned John Swinney tonight on say...the chaos another independence referendum would cause, it worked because it seemed like a genuine question rather than the pantomime antics so many of her colleagues indulge in.

For a band my girlfriend liked in the 90's we had Stuart Murdoch. To say Stuart offered very little to the debate would be exaggerating his contribution to an absurd degree.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Thanks Roger.

Just nine per cent have a favourable view of Liz Truss

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... liz-truss/
Only nine per cent of the public have a favourable view of Liz Truss, a new opinion poll has found.

The Prime Minister’s personal ratings have plummeted in the three weeks since the mini-Budget, according to the survey by People Polling.

Meanwhile the poll, commissioned by GB News, found that Sir Keir Starmer, the Labour leader, has seen his ratings increase by six percentage points from 27 per cent three weeks ago.

Prof Matthew Goodwin, the pollster and academic who undertook the research, said the new findings were a “lose-lose” for Ms Truss.

“These numbers mean that Liz Truss is more unpopular than Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn ever were – she is basically in what I would call Prince Andrew territory,” he said.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@notnowsonny

Hello. I'll add my thanks to you for the Savoy Brown track.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Anas Sarwar was on QT, predictably, the last time that it came from Scotland. I thought he was quite good on that appearance, too. He's definitely improved a lot over time (the direct opposite of Douglas Ross), although he doesn't exactly set the world on fire.

Edited - the post originally read as if I thought that Douglas Ross was an exciting firebrand.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I mean Anas is such an unfortunate name for any politician to have when there are really childish people like me around who find anything to do with farts or bottoms amusing.

Until I got into my Fifties then started literally worrying about shit.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

That was brilliant! Who came up with that unlikely but genius pairing I wonder.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »