Wednesday 10th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Wednesday 10th December 2014

Post by Spacedone »

The IFS continued to ensure it won't be on George Osborne's Christmas card list by pointing out the elephant in the room when it comes to his deficit reduction plan - that he's making it worse for the public sector by giving away £17billion worth of tax cuts in the form of income and corporate tax cuts.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -criticism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“It’s been very striking over this parliament how £12bn or so is being spent on increasing the personal [income tax] allowance [and] something like £7bn-£8bn on reducing corporation tax,” Johnson told MPs examining Osborne’s autumn statement delivered last week.

“Those are remarkable choices, as it were, in the context of the deficit reduction that you have got, and therefore the spending cuts that you have got. Clearly cutting taxes makes the arithmetic elsewhere more difficult.”
And I don't think he's even looked as deeply as he could have. Has he factored in how much the 50% tax rate that Osborne scrapped would have brought in.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday 10th December 2014

Post by refitman »

Morning. Conservatives and Labour tied on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 9th December -

Con 32%, (-2)
Lab 32%, (-1)
LD 8%, (+2)
UKIP 15%; (nc)
Grn 7%; (+1)

APP -25 (-3)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Four councils in London have joined up to launch an inquiry into A&E closures and their impact on health services in London.

Michael Mansfield is to chair it.

From the Evening Standard yesterday.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

So more secondary schools are failing than primary despite the fact that 56% of secondary schools are academies while only 12% of primaries are.

Now what does that tell us?

Er...wait...hang on...um...I'm sure I'll get it in a minute.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... econdaries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Of 3,494 contracts awarded by 182 Clinical Commissioning Groups in England between April 2013 and August 2014, 33% went to the private sector.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30397329

It begins slowly, under the radar, but give the Tories another 5 years and all our health services will be run by for-profit private sector suppliers with the ensuing lack of oversight and accountability and variable outcomes that always seem to accompany such outsourcing.

Every time I pass a private ambulance I shudder. Why are the public allowing this to happen with so little resistance? It's getting really obvious now that this was the purpose of the Health and Social Care Act. I just wish there was some way of getting all those comfortable, middle-income Tory voters who value the NHS to see the very real danger it is in under this current bunch of Tories, but I doubt they'll really understand until it's too late, until that cataract operation goes wrong and they end up permanently blind because they put tax cuts before the NHS.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:Morning. Conservatives and Labour tied on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 9th December -

Con 32%, (-2)
Lab 32%, (-1)
LD 8%, (+2)
UKIP 15%; (nc)
Grn 7%; (+1)

APP -25 (-3)
You know, this polling outfit is going to have to include Labour members, supporters & voters in their sample at some point.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Morning
Making the bread, doing the laundry, participating in civic activities, the sun is shining in Stoke & it is good.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Morning all...not sure if this has been mentioned/linked before...surely this sort of chicanery will have consequences for Gidiot?

'Chancellor George Osborne is sitting on a £30 BILLION National Insurance surplus while struggling families turn to food banks to feed their children, it has been revealed.'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ge ... bn-4762414

http://www.welfareweekly.com/opinion-30 ... -families/

Ooops, silly me...of course not - he's an economic and political genius and, as such, should never have to go through the tedium of actually being held to account or justfying his position :o

...and WRT to the Ukip birds...telling that this has been their path to 'glory'...

'She claims she then went to Oxford and graduated with a first in Politics, Philosophy and Economics.
She also became active in the Tower Hamlets Labour party, until her sudden switch to Ukip just three months ago.'

(I included the Tower Hamlets bit as I seem to remember some info here about shenanigans at the local Labour Party)

'A former grammar school boy from Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey, Roger Bird studied PPE at Oxford and his first job was as an economics lecturer in Cork.
He then joined Deloitte and Touche as an auditor, before becoming finance director for education company Alpha Plus Group.
Mr Bird, 41, is believed to have married in 2006, but has since separated from wife Serra, and is not thought to have any children.
He was a Tory councillor in South London before leaving the party in 2009 and joining Ukip.'

Oh yes...definitely a political party for the people (who are blinded by Murkydochia :lol: )
Last edited by Lonewolfie on Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

What a heavy and anti focused interview with Harriet Harman on Womans Hour.

So far we've had questions prefaced with - Labour ignoring immigration, Labour aren't saying how they fund their plans, Labour can't be trusted with the economy because they were in charge at the time of the crash, at the end of the day women like men vote with their heads not hearts and what will matter is how much money they have left in their pockets ...

What has happened to open questioning - and then picking up on the points made in a response?

Oh and morning all.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:Morning
Making the bread, doing the laundry, participating in civic activities, the sun is shining in Stoke & it is good.
Glad to know life is good up there Citizen. Happy laundering and sun bathing.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ephemerid wrote:Four councils in London have joined up to launch an inquiry into A&E closures and their impact on health services in London.

Is it this article, @Ephe?
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/t ... 95171.html

I think it's a crazy move, especially given the massive housing developments going up in the area around Olympia, Earls Court, White City, the BBC's Television Centre site (also at White City), and many more. And there are plans to close Charing Cross Hospital (Hammersmith)'s A & E (which is already Adults Only!) and replace it with an 'Urgent Care' centre, which is not the same thing at all...

I'm still grieving for the loss of (the original) Queen Mary's Hospital at Roehampton, which was replaced with a 'community hospital' about seven years ago. Built in a corner of the original site where the old mortuary car-park was. The rest (majority) of the site is now packed out with 'luxury' housing with a tiny proportion of so-called affordable units. We no longer have an A&E – just a part-time minor-injuries unit – so Charing Cross Hospital is, technically, our nearest A&E. And the replacement Douglas Bader Unit is a shadow of its former self, tucked away in part of the basement with a fraction of the facilities it used to have. QMH was a great hospital, a brilliant University teaching hospital, one of the most famous burns units in the world, and the same with amputations and prosthetics and rehab. Stopping before I get too angry and nostalgic!
:fire: :wall: :fire: :wall: :fire: :wall:

And, when I go there I have to have someone with me because the only automatic/accessible doors are the ones at the entrances/exits. All the internal ones are too heavy for me to open. Costs restraints, apparently...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

‘If you are a Ukip supporter we politely ask that you eat in the corner’- Exeter cake shop's response to Farage’s breastfeeding comments
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/8 ... story.html
...Responding to Nigel Farage’s comments Exeter’s Cakeadoodledo owner Kate Shirazi has placed a sign in her window reading “If you are a Ukip supporter we politely ask, for the comfort of other customers, that you eat in the corner, or in the toilet, or under a large tablecloth that we drape over you.”...
:lol: Nice one.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Grayling's nadir? Judicial review bill falls apart as minister admits he misled Commons
http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/12 ... as-ministe
In case you missed this news from yesterday as there hasn't really been much coverage in main stream media. It shows Grayling and his coalition henchpeople to be either utterly stupid, or mendacious, or both - take your pick.

But trust LibDemVoice to take this opportunity to try and big up Lib Dem Lords' part in the defeat of this bill .... really hypocritical when their MPs, all but one who is retiring in 2015, voted it through in the Commons. And - during this further reading in the Lords it was, according to tweets I saw, mostly Tories who stood up to lambast Grayling and this scurrilous bill.
23 Lib Dem peers “rebel” as Lords reject government’s judicial review proposals
http://www.libdemvoice.org/lords-reject ... 43708.html
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:What a heavy and anti focused interview with Harriet Harman on Womans Hour.

So far we've had questions prefaced with - Labour ignoring immigration, Labour aren't saying how they fund their plans, Labour can't be trusted with the economy because they were in charge at the time of the crash, at the end of the day women like men vote with their heads not hearts and what will matter is how much money they have left in their pockets ...

What has happened to open questioning - and then picking up on the points made in a response?

Oh and morning all.
Morning. Yeah, it's the lies in questions I have no time for.

Labour aren't ignoring immigration, Labour won't submit policies without the policies being costed first, Labour were in charge during the global economic crash, thank goodness & yes, money is important to women & men - was there some doubt about this? Anyway, yes, women & men will hopefully vote for that party that best represents them - so far, for me, that party is Labour.

Aside from my personal bit there at the end, all of that information is documented in the public sphere.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Voting for the leader of Scottish Labour ends at 12 today. When do we find out who has been elected - anyone?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Voting for the leader of Scottish Labour ends at 12 today. When do we find out who has been elected - anyone?
I'm sure I read it somewhere as Sunday?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
‘If you are a Ukip supporter we politely ask that you eat in the corner’- Exeter cake shop's response to Farage’s breastfeeding comments
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/8 ... story.html
...Responding to Nigel Farage’s comments Exeter’s Cakeadoodledo owner Kate Shirazi has placed a sign in her window reading “If you are a Ukip supporter we politely ask, for the comfort of other customers, that you eat in the corner, or in the toilet, or under a large tablecloth that we drape over you.”...
:lol: Nice one.
Wholesome humour like this takes the sting out of rudeness. It's empowering, humour.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Morning
Glad to know life is good up there Citizen. Happy laundering and sun bathing.
Thank you, RR2, the sun shone a whole fifteen minutes & I'm shivering in my layers again, but it was good while it lasted.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

StephenDolan wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Voting for the leader of Scottish Labour ends at 12 today. When do we find out who has been elected - anyone?
Declaration will be on Saturday 13th December. Don't know what time, though.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson retweeted
Britain Elects @britainelects · 14h 14 hours ago
The Democratic Unionist Party (NI) has ruled out joining any coalition following next year's general election in the event of a Hung Parl'.
Going to be interesting to see which of the smaller parties rule themselves out of a coalition with either or both of the main parties before the election.

I wonder if we might be left with just the Lib Dems hanging there in the middle - refusing to say which way they might jump - except we know that it will be the way that promises more power for their Orange Bookers. Gosh how tempting that will be for voters ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
Thank you very much both of you. So we can expect some political commentator and SNP reaction on Sunday then.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

After yesterday's news from the US, does anybody out there still think the Labour party picked "the wrong brother" as leader?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:After yesterday's news from the US, does anybody out there still think the Labour party picked "the wrong brother" as leader?
I think those that do will have already managed to compartmentalise their chosen brother's role - in their minds he will have been well away from such nasties.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

LadyCentauria wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:

Thanks LC!
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:After yesterday's news from the US, does anybody out there still think the Labour party picked "the wrong brother" as leader?
Every time an obvious right-winger goes on about how Ed is the wrong brother, I always think "Yeah, wrong for you." The Iraq War association would have provided so much material for the other camp, despite the Tory enthusiasm for it, that those on the left would have found hard to defend. Whereas jibes about bacon sandwich eating.....As time has gone on it's become more and more apparent the right have absolutely nothing on Ed. Nothing at all, no expenses claims, no policy cock-ups, no lobbying scandals. "He's weird" they say. A clean politician, weird? They may have a point! But Ed is different in a good way. I just wish more people could see it.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oh, wow - I haven't looked at the US news about, "That Other Miliband Son". I'll prepare myself & dive in. I'll report back in a bit.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Willow904 wrote:
Every time an obvious right-winger goes on about how Ed is the wrong brother, I always think "Yeah, wrong for you." The Iraq War association would have provided so much material for the other camp, despite the Tory enthusiasm for it, that those on the left would have found hard to defend. Whereas jibes about bacon sandwich eating.....As time has gone on it's become more and more apparent the right have absolutely nothing on Ed. Nothing at all, no expenses claims, no policy cock-ups, no lobbying scandals. "He's weird" they say. A clean politician, weird? They may have a point! But Ed is different in a good way. I just wish more people could see it.
Quite - and I think (over the next 5 months or so) it will become apparent (that Mr Ed is different in a good way) :)

Also, lest we forget, Tory Blur would never have had his ( and Dubya & Uncle Rupes') 'war' without the votes of the Tories - Labour voted heavily against action and it only passed because of Tory support - a fact conveniently forgotten when people denigrate Labour and, of course, even more forgotten when they realise Mr Ed was against as well...but it doesn't suit the 'they're all the same' bullsh1t.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've long maintained that Iraq would come back to haunt David Miliband and that his associations thereto (amongst many other things) would be toxic for the Labour Party were he to have become leader. Unless the press succeeds in stifling it, of course.

That said, I'm sure that there are those out there who will attempt to smear Ed Miliband for "having the wrong brother".

Good morning, everyone.

Edited to add the "were he to . . . . " bit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Lonewolfie wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Quite - and I think (over the next 5 months or so) it will become apparent (that Mr Ed is different in a good way) :)

Also, lest we forget, Tory Blur would never have had his ( and Dubya & Uncle Rupes') 'war' without the votes of the Tories - Labour voted heavily against action and it only passed because of Tory support - a fact conveniently forgotten when people denigrate Labour and, of course, even more forgotten when they realise Mr Ed was against as well...but it doesn't suit the 'they're all the same' bullsh1t.
True and not true - most Labour MPs did vote in favour of war, many doubtless with a heavy heart (backbenchers were split almost exactly 50/50)

But had the Tories decided to oppose, it could still have been stopped - no chance of that with dead loss IDS obviously, but what if Clarke had been elected leader in 2001? :?:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

David Miliband, in the interview I watched from yesterday, completely by-passed the power of advertising, of powerful interests using social media to sway popular opinion. He's a fast talker, smooth - not my favourite kind of Prime Minister.

I've never listened to David Miliband before. I don't watch or listen to much except in small quantities. I'm easily distracted & impressionable.

One thing I must write - Ralph Miliband & Marion Kozak are parents of two extraordinary individuals. Look where that family came from - can anyone give me any reason to doubt that both sons aren't where they are due to their own merit & ability? I ask that sincerely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jKoY6VmuCI

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/techonomy ... 96640.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Did I miss news about David Miliband?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more about Ed Miliband's fitness for premiership. I think we're fortunate to have such a person leading the Labour party. Laugh at me all you like, call me naive - perhaps I am.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Did I miss news about David Miliband?
Not news about him *as such* but the US Congressional report into (lovely euphemism) "enhanced interregational practices" after 2001.

Of course DM, as our Foreign Secretary especially, was involved in extradition and stuff which directly impacted on this.

I wonder if he ever thinks about such things late at night, I would like to imagine he does (its certainly more than the likes of Bush Jnr and Cheney do)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:Did I miss news about David Miliband?
David Miliband was Foreign Secretary at the time of the Iraqi war. There is some evidence that he may have been complacent in rendition of prisoners who then faced torture.
The release of the CIA torture report
http://www.cbc.ca/news/cia-torture-repo ... -1.2866545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...may or may not compromise him, but even if it does not, the press would have been all over him wanting to talk about how much he knew about what was going on in the USA, rather than Labour policies.
Distracting and possibly very very damaging for a leader of the opposition.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

I like watching Nick Clegg squirm as much as the next man, but did anyone else think Harriet Harman pushed the "women" thing a bit too much?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more about Ed Miliband's fitness for premiership. I think we're fortunate to have such a person leading the Labour party. Laugh at me all you like, call me naive - perhaps I am.
Not in my book, but I've been accused of naiveté because of my support for Ed "The Right Brother" Miliband so maybe we are both hopeless? :dance:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

DonutHingeParty wrote:I like watching Nick Clegg squirm as much as the next man, but did anyone else think Harriet Harman pushed the "women" thing a bit too much?
However - I've just stumbled upon this comment, over at the Guardian's Andrew Sparrow blog, and am thinking that the poster, neuronmaker , makes a valid point. Perhaps there was method in her (HH's) madness so I'm reviewing my evaluation of her performance.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Every time an obvious right-winger goes on about how Ed is the wrong brother, I always think "Yeah, wrong for you." The Iraq War association would have provided so much material for the other camp, despite the Tory enthusiasm for it, that those on the left would have found hard to defend. Whereas jibes about bacon sandwich eating.....As time has gone on it's become more and more apparent the right have absolutely nothing on Ed. Nothing at all, no expenses claims, no policy cock-ups, no lobbying scandals. "He's weird" they say. A clean politician, weird? They may have a point! But Ed is different in a good way. I just wish more people could see it.

True and not true - most Labour MPs did vote in favour of war, many doubtless with a heavy heart (backbenchers were split almost exactly 50/50)

But had the Tories decided to oppose, it could still have been stopped - no chance of that with dead loss IDS obviously, but what if Clarke had been elected leader in 2001? :?:
IIRC (and, as ever, very happy to be corrected if wrong) 139 Labour against and 139 Tories for....so looking (to me) like a parliamentary stitch-up to ensure success but most definitely not 'Labours' war.

(checks and adjusts tin-foil hat) David Miliband was (I believeTM) Uncle Ruperts annointed successor to Tory Blur for Labour, which would ensure whoever won in 2015, the Murkydochian Imperative would continue - he is (as has been mentioned) compromised by his time as Foreign Secretary so would have been the perfect 'opposition' leader. So I think there must have been a collective sharp intake of breath when Mr Ed won (fair and square) and, as we've seen, the knives have been out ever since. Mr Ed just isn't on message and keeps doing things like thinking for himself, which must drive Murkydochia and the Coalition of Clowns to distraction...c'est pauvre ;)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

LadyCentauria wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Four councils in London have joined up to launch an inquiry into A&E closures and their impact on health services in London.

I think it's a crazy move, especially given the massive housing developments going up in the area around Olympia, Earls Court, White City, the BBC's Television Centre site (also at White City), and many more. And there are plans to close Charing Cross Hospital (Hammersmith)'s A & E (which is already Adults Only!) and replace it with an 'Urgent Care' centre, which is not the same thing at all...

I'm still grieving for the loss of (the original) Queen Mary's Hospital at Roehampton, which was replaced with a 'community hospital' about seven years ago. Built in a corner of the original site where the old mortuary car-park was. The rest (majority) of the site is now packed out with 'luxury' housing with a tiny proportion of so-called affordable units. We no longer have an A&E – just a part-time minor-injuries unit – so Charing Cross Hospital is, technically, our nearest A&E. And the replacement Douglas Bader Unit is a shadow of its former self, tucked away in part of the basement with a fraction of the facilities it used to have. QMH was a great hospital, a brilliant University teaching hospital, one of the most famous burns units in the world, and the same with amputations and prosthetics and rehab. Stopping before I get too angry and nostalgic!

And, when I go there I have to have someone with me because the only automatic/accessible doors are the ones at the entrances/exits. All the internal ones are too heavy for me to open. Costs restraints, apparently...

I did some of my training there, including burns and plastics - I also staffed for a short time on the Limb Surgery Unit when they still had the limb-making factory next door. I had a flat in Arton Wilson House, just down the road. Our parties were notorious!

It was fun and games in A&E - if you had a coronary in, you had to take a doctor and a resus trolley with you to get to CCU - it was in the ITU which was at the other end of a quarter-mile-long corridor. The porters had these little red trucks they zoomed up and down on to get supplies to places in a hurry. I hitched a ride if the nursing officers weren't about...
Most of the wards were old Nissen Huts and the ones on the mansion side (where the residential quarters were in my day) looked out over the rose garden and lily pond. We used to stick the patients on traction out there in the summer - back then, we had a lot of bikers on 3-months-plus traction as we didn't use external fixators as much as they do now.

Happy days. Mind you, I don't think it's bad thing that some things have changed. I used to have to dress up in a denim dress, with various collars/cuffs/belts. a huge starched apron, and a great big "butterfly" cap (like the navy nurses have) made from a square yard of starched linen with about a million pins holding it all together. There was a superstition that if you changed your cap between taking your state finals and getting the results, you'd fail. In those days you had to wait 3 months, so there were a lot of third-years with extremely wonky grubby caps on for weeks....

Now all that's gone. I wonder of our newly-trained nurses had anything like the fun we used to have. I suspect they don't, as they've got to find £27K for the uni fees etc. and can't live in like we used to. Some of the rules and stuff were really silly when you think about it, but our sister tutors and the nursing officers were tough as old boots and they turned out some damn fine nurses. I like to think I was one of them, and my experiences when I retrained in 2002/3 and as a patient on several occasions since suggest to me that the old way had a great deal to commend it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Worth taking a look at Andy Burnham's twitter time line. He's challenging - successfully it would seem - Clegg's version of what happened to Hinchinbrooke hospital - feisty exchange.
Andy Burnham @andyburnhammp · 8m 8 minutes ago
So, in summary, @nick_clegg misled the House. Will wait for one of his world-famous apologies.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Murphy ‏@jimmurphymp 1h1 hour ago
I had a feeling I was going to win something this week. Was voted Man of the Match in football game for the Soldiers Charity this morning.
He's cheeky isn't he.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Slaughter MP ‏@hammersmithandy 8m8 minutes ago
Shortly raising a Point of Order on how Chris Grayling misled the House last week. http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/graylin ... 75.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted.
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 11 Dec, 2014 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ephemerid wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:

I did some of my training there, including burns and plastics - I also staffed for a short time on the Limb Surgery Unit when they still had the limb-making factory next door. I had a flat in Arton Wilson House, just down the road. Our parties were notorious!

It was fun and games in A&E - if you had a coronary in, you had to take a doctor and a resus trolley with you to get to CCU - it was in the ITU which was at the other end of a quarter-mile-long corridor. The porters had these little red trucks they zoomed up and down on to get supplies to places in a hurry. I hitched a ride if the nursing officers weren't about...
Most of the wards were old Nissen Huts and the ones on the mansion side (where the residential quarters were in my day) looked out over the rose garden and lily pond. We used to stick the patients on traction out there in the summer - back then, we had a lot of bikers on 3-months-plus traction as we didn't use external fixators as much as they do now.

Happy days. Mind you, I don't think it's bad thing that some things have changed. I used to have to dress up in a denim dress, with various collars/cuffs/belts. a huge starched apron, and a great big "butterfly" cap (like the navy nurses have) made from a square yard of starched linen with about a million pins holding it all together. There was a superstition that if you changed your cap between taking your state finals and getting the results, you'd fail. In those days you had to wait 3 months, so there were a lot of third-years with extremely wonky grubby caps on for weeks....

Now all that's gone. I wonder of our newly-trained nurses had anything like the fun we used to have. I suspect they don't, as they've got to find £27K for the uni fees etc. and can't live in like we used to. Some of the rules and stuff were really silly when you think about it, but our sister tutors and the nursing officers were tough as old boots and they turned out some damn fine nurses. I like to think I was one of them, and my experiences when I retrained in 2002/3 and as a patient on several occasions since suggest to me that the old way had a great deal to commend it.
Afternoon all.
Not sure if you're right about tuition fees for nurses,though you may be

My friend has just started a midwifery degree.There are no tuition fees and she gets a bursary of something like £6000 pa as well seeing as she has one girl finishing school this year.
Her daughter will be doing a degree in paramedics next year,when there will be no tuition fees as well,so I'm guessing general nursing will be similar,no fees and a bursary instead of maintenance loans.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Andy Slaughter MP ‏@hammersmithandy 8m8 minutes ago
Shortly raising a Point of Order on how Chris Grayling misled the House last week. http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/graylin ... 75.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Lot of 'misleading' on that side of the floor at present. They really should change that archaic tradition so that people like Grayling, Clegg, IDS and Cameron can be called "lying gits"; for that is, of course, exactly what they are, nothing more nothing less.

BTW my theory on today's PMQs is that they have that end of term feeling; I'm waiting to see if Dennis Skinner has brought in the board games.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted.
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 11 Dec, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Worth taking a look at Andy Burnham's twitter time line. He's challenging - successfully it would seem - Clegg's version of what happened to Hinchinbrooke hospital - feisty exchange.
Andy Burnham @andyburnhammp · 8m 8 minutes ago
So, in summary, @nick_clegg misled the House. Will wait for one of his world-famous apologies.
Burnham's not the only one:
On a point of order, Gregg McClymont, the Labour MP, says Clegg misled MPs about Labour’s record on pensioner poverty. He should set the record straight.

John Bercow says these issues are a matter for debate. If he had to correct MPs when they said something wrong, he would be very busy, he says.

Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary, says Clegg did not have a good outing on points of fact. Clegg accused Burnham of privatising a hospital. That was not true, he says. Burnham says he did not choose a private bidder to run Hinchingbrooke hospital. When it left his hands, there were three bidders, including an NHS one.

Bercow says it is up to Clegg to decide if he wants to correct the record.

Yvette Cooper, the shadow home secretary, rises to accuse Clegg of getting another fact wrong. He said more women than men gained from the rise in the basic rate tax threshold, she says. But the House of Commons library has produced figures showing that more men have gained.

Bercow repeats the point about it being up to Clegg to decide whether to correct the record.
From AS Blog.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Rebecca wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote: Is it this article, @Ephe?

Afternoon all.
Not sure if you're right about tuition fees for nurses,though you may be

My friend has just started a midwifery degree.There are no tuition fees and she gets a bursary of something like £6000 pa as well seeing as she has one girl finishing school this year.
Her daughter will be doing a degree in paramedics next year,when there will be no tuition fees as well,so I'm guessing general nursing will be similar,no fees and a bursary instead of maintenance loans.
There are 'normal' fees but it tends to be a condition of acceptance on courses that you have gained a 'funded' place which will be funded by an NHS bursary - there's an info page about it from Which here.
I still believe in a town called Hope
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Now then - food banks.

All week, there have been articles everywhere about them and various government spokesthings denying that the recent proliferation of food banks has anything whatsoever to do with benefits - especially from IDS, who intends to reform things so the plebs don't "stumble" into sanctions.

I've been crunching some numbers, and although it's only really the Trussell Trust which audits things closely, this is the best I can do.
The truth is that the increase in the use of, and need for, emergency food aid is mainly due to changes in the social security system.

Trussell Trust supplies, it says, 37% of all food bank aid in the UK. Since April, it has issued more than 900,000 parcels; by the end of its accounting year, this should be more than a million at current rates.
As TT supplies about a third of all provision, that's about 3 million parcels in a year. Assuming that all the other food banks operate in a similar way, half the recipients only ever have one parcel. That's 1.5 million people.
Of the rest, some have two or more; occasionally, people are supported for longer, but I have no figures for this. I think we could reasonably say 500,000 people have more than one parcel - ie. altogether, 2 million people have needed food bank help this year.

TT says that benefit delays and benefit changes comprise 47.9% of all referrals; a small proportion have been refused any crisis help or a Short Term Benefit Advance (both of which they are fully entitled to if they have had due benefits delayed). Next up is low income on 20.29% and "other" on 10.50%.
So if we assume that 2 million people needed help from a food bank at least once, a million of them needed that help due to problems with benefits. Whether that's delays, changes in entitlement, sanctions, fines, or cuts, the facts are that half of those in food poverty are in need because of DWP policy or inefficiency.

From April 2009 to April 2010, when the effects of the crash were being felt, TT issued 40,898 emergency food parcels.
From 2010 to 2011, this had increased to 61,468.
In 2010, the child trust fund, EMA, and unemployed mortgage support all went. Maternity and baby benefits were cut.

There were a few cuts, changes, increased sanctions (the latter mainly due to the Work Programme rules) in 2011-12.
That year, TT issued 128,697 food parcels - the same year that Working Tax Credits were cut, and childcare for working people was cut.
There were also changes in Housing benefit and LHA rates, new charges and fines, and more sanctions.
At this point too, time-limiting for ESA was beginning to have an effect.

In 2012-13, there were far too many changes to tax credits of all kinds to list here; anyone in work or with children were affected.
Bedroom tax, benefits cap, council tax changes, below-inflation uprating, new earnings disregards - plus PIP.
That year, TT issued 346,992 emergency food parcels.

It is obvious to anyone with half a synapse to call their own that with each new change more people are losing out.

Patrick Butler wrote about this in 2013 - see http://www.guardian.com/news/datablog/2 ... cut-listed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In short, this year 2 million people will have used a food bank and 3 million emergency parcels will have been issued.
This does not include soup runs, canteens for homeless people (increasing) and meals supplied by religious institutions.
It does not include the food drives being organised by Save the Children, Oxfam, and the Red Cross.

We know that nearly a million people have been sanctioned this year. We know that half of them have been sanctioned for 3 months on average.
We know that evictions and homelessness is increasing due to benefit changes. We know that rough sleeping in London has gone up by 60%

We know all this, and we know roughly how many people are asking for food because they cant afford to buy it.

Why can't anyone in government admit that it is their policies that have caused this to happen?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

On a point of order, Gregg McClymont, the Labour MP, says Clegg misled MPs about Labour’s record on pensioner poverty. He should set the record straight.

John Bercow says these issues are a matter for debate. If he had to correct MPs when they said something wrong, he would be very busy, he says.

Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary, says Clegg did not have a good outing on points of fact. Clegg accused Burnham of privatising a hospital. That was not true, he says. Burnham says he did not choose a private bidder to run Hinchingbrooke hospital. When it left his hands, there were three bidders, including an NHS one.

Bercow says it is up to Clegg to decide if he wants to correct the record.

Yvette Cooper, the shadow home secretary, rises to accuse Clegg of getting another fact wrong. He said more women than men gained from the rise in the basic rate tax threshold, she says. But the House of Commons library has produced figures showing that more men have gained.

Bercow repeats the point about it being up to Clegg to decide whether to correct the record.
If Clegg had called someone a jumped up tit, the Speaker would have forced him to retract the comment or be thrown out of the chamber, yet when he's caught lying to the House, its up to him whether he corrects the record.
No wonder the majority hold politicians in such contempt
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.