Tuesday 25th October 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 25th October 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 25th October 2022

Post by frog222 »

Morning refit

Truss's little foray into Number Ten, while losing all the rest of you some £££'s, has won her a free car !
And she will still have transport. While sacked cabinet ministers immediately lose the chauffeur-driven vehicle that comes with the job, former prime ministers are entitled to a government car in perpetuity, along with security.
This is pushing it a bit —
” Aged just 47 and a former accountant, she could certainly make a living outside politics, even if not on the level of Johnson or even of Theresa May, who combines being a backbencher with earning £100,000-plus a time giving speeches to US corporations. ”
She was for 4 or 5 years a management trainee at Shell, qualifying ACMA in 1999 before moving to sales at C&W in 2000.

Hardly an experienced accountant ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -backbench
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Thread from an Australian doc but relevant to all.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1584 ... 49793.html
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Yes, he gets something important - for a lot of the political/media complex who hammered Corbyn "BEING IN CHARGE" matters much more than actual policy.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote: Tue 25 Oct, 2022 10:29 am Thread from an Australian doc but relevant to all.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1584 ... 49793.html
Thanks gilsey ! Was already following him, but hadn't yet seen. It confirms everything I / we've been seeing increasingly for months now, that the Western Establishment in all its glory has decided (in concertation ?) to let public health go hang .

On Toady yesterday morning Dr Waite (successor to van Tam) gave his recipe for success against SARS COV19 --

" Wash your hands and stay at home if sick ! " ...

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Didn't see it, but apparently Truss was very much "je ne regrette rien" in her number 10 departure statement.

Almost incredibly, can see a "stabbed in the back" myth developing around her in certain rightwing circles.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Excellent.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Unfortunately, also looks very possible that Braverman is making a quick return.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And another one...the only thing I saw Malthouse do was to visit Michaela - is it part of the job description that every Edu Sec has to go there?

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote: Tue 25 Oct, 2022 2:19 pm And another one...the only thing I saw Malthouse do was to visit Michaela - is it part of the job description that every Edu Sec has to go there?

In the year below me at Newcastle University, by all accounts he doesn't appear to have changed much since then.

(not really a compliment btw)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I guess from these appointments we'll see whether the Culture Wars stuff will continue.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

This bit from the LB looks very reassuring ?
" When he ran for the Tory leadership in the summer, his promise about getting rid of EU law went beyond even hers. He pledged to review all 2,400 EU regulations still on the UK statute book, with the first set of recommendations made “within the first 100 days”. (See 9.06am.)."
NOT .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

£ approaches $1.15 gilt yields down 6-10 bp's

Wonder how long that lasts !

Because if serious success would need some sort of rapprochement with the EU, exactly when are we going to see signs of that ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

He may of course prefer to forget at least some of those "campaign pledges" now.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Just seen this -- a nice possibility to outflank Starmer perhaps ?

And also to do some good, but I don't know if the boy has it in him .

All depends how many ERGists in cabinet ?
" But there is a new possibility. The EU has held out an olive branch: to join a grouping of European countries that don’t want to be part of the EU but do want to benefit from its single market and many collaborative bodies.

This in my view is a perfect moment for our new prime minister, Rishi Sunak, to pivot and send a clear signal globally that we have listened and learned, and that we are going to take sensible steps to restore our reputation for pragmatism and economic sensibility. This would mean not pandering to the European Research Group and rightwing thinktanks, which have been instrumental in much of the chaos of recent months and weeks. Politically it would be a brave shift, and economically a very pragmatic one. In doing so we would be able to re-engage in markets across Europe and start a new responsible growth coalition that we can be all be proud of. "
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rexit-lies
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And yes, she is back at the Home Office. Just an awful, awful person.

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Tue 25 Oct, 2022 5:04 pm And yes, she is back at the Home Office. Just an awful, awful person.
A bad sign .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I hadn't really appreciated the link that Braverman has with John Hayes. I picked up on him using the Cultural Marxism crap in the Commons a while back.

But how on earth can she be re-appointed?

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

frog222 wrote: Tue 25 Oct, 2022 5:03 pm Just seen this -- a nice possibility to outflank Starmer perhaps ?

" But there is a new possibility. The EU has held out an olive branch: to join a grouping of European countries that don’t want to be part of the EU but do want to benefit from its single market and many collaborative bodies.

This in my view is a perfect moment for our new prime minister, Rishi Sunak, to pivot and send a clear signal globally that we have listened and learned, and that we are going to take sensible steps to restore our reputation for pragmatism and economic sensibility. This would mean not pandering to the European Research Group and rightwing thinktanks, which have been instrumental in much of the chaos of recent months and weeks. Politically it would be a brave shift, and economically a very pragmatic one. In doing so we would be able to re-engage in markets across Europe and start a new responsible growth coalition that we can be all be proud of. "
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rexit-lies
People talk about the Tories "outflanking" Labour on stuff far, far, FAR more than it ever actually happens.

And also, Brexit is one of the things where this is least likely of all - and will be for the foreseeable,
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AK --- only looking at possibilities, not making predictions .

What pledges has Starmer made NOT to rejoin the Single Market ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anyway this Cabinet surely shows that the Tories are going to be trying to "outflank" Labour on the square root of f*** all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 25 Oct, 2022 7:00 pm Anyway this Cabinet surely shows that the Tories are going to be trying to "outflank" Labour on the square root of f*** all.
As I wrote above, before we knew who would be in the cabinet --

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And i am just saying that scepticism on such things is (almost) always justified :)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Amazing that this man is still alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 25 Oct, 2022 7:14 pm And i am just saying that scepticism on such things is (almost) always justified :)
Generating hypotheses just gives an idea of the range of possibilities available ?

One wonders sometimes if there is more to people than meets the eye ... one even HOPES in the case of the boy Sunak, but he is more and more appearing to be as bad as he's always looked

Ker plunk ! :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

LB
“Simon Hart, chief whip
Hart served in Boris Johnson’s cabinet as Wales secretary before resigning in July 2022. He is a staunch remainer and his appointment suggests Sunak is taking a different approach to restoring harmony within the party.”
OTOH keeping Cruella and the ghastly Coffey ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Evening.

Anything happen while I was away?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote: Tue 25 Oct, 2022 8:47 pm
He already seems to have changed his assessment following the Braverman news, mind.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Whoops

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 25 Oct, 2022 9:15 pm
He already seems to have changed his assessment following the Braverman news, mind.
Yes, but it's awfully telling that that was his first reaction.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I was following the Guardian live blog on my phone in the pub on Sunday evening and had the pleasure of informing everyone that Johnson had given up. There was a genuine sense of celebration, more out of relief than anything else, and the landlord gave me a free pint. The next time anyone tries to tell me Johnson is popular I'll remember those heady moments.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@frog222

Concertina?

I'm afraid the video is age restricted so you just get the sound. Or at least I hope you get something.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh, you get the whole thing if you click on the youtube bar. I've just found that out. Apologies if it's not your cup of tea.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 25 Oct, 2022 10:05 pm I was following the Guardian live blog on my phone in the pub on Sunday evening and had the pleasure of informing everyone that Johnson had given up. There was a genuine sense of celebration, more out of relief than anything else, and the landlord gave me a free pint. The next time anyone tries to tell me Johnson is popular I'll remember those heady moments.
It would help if the BBC didn't seem to only ever interview his supporters in their wretched "vox pops".

(not just in the last few days either, they actually managed to do one like that on the day of the meltdown that ousted him)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just to clarify, this wasn't some trendy bar, it was my Dad's local that I don't think has been decorated since about 1976. It's full of pensioner brexiters. The night before one of them was asking me if I thought any of 'those illegals in boats' might land on the beach nearby and I'm afraid to say I caused offence by bursting out laughing. When I told one of them that I lived in Leeds he asked how I could stand living amongst so many darkies and the landlord's wife hasn't visited her sister in Barnsley for 20 years because she thinks the place has too many Muslims.

They're not all like that, including my Dad I'm happy to say, but most of them are and even they've had enough of Johnson's antics. If he can't even attract daft racist pensioners any more his chances of making a triumphant comeback somewhere down the line look exceedingly slim.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor wrote: Tue 25 Oct, 2022 10:40 pm Apologies if it's not your cup of tea.
I like to think I'm pretty broad minded but what the fuck was that?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

No idea - it came up when I was looking for concertina music that wasn't an Irish reel. I thought that the video had been blocked but, as I later discovered, it hadn't. I didn't watch it all through - did it get worse as it went on? I rather enjoyed the music.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 25 Oct, 2022 10:41 pm It would help if the BBC didn't seem to only ever interview his supporters in their wretched "vox pops".
Why do they always interview market stall owners like they're somehow fonts of political wisdom?

And why is it always the 'working class' stalls? Fishmongers, butchers and the like.

They never interview the middle class weirdos selling really bad pottery or terrible art.

I saw a painting recently at a stall in Leeds indoor market that was meant to be a fox but looked more like a peculiarly deformed monkey with a bushy tail and snout. I must have stood there for a good couple of minutes chortling and wondering who the hell thought it was worth £35. It had thumbs.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Here's the obligatory I've been visiting the folks photo. I won't post any photos of the beaches because they were covered in dead birds all the way down the coast as far as we explored. Mostly guillemots as far as I could tell from the remains. Poor wee things. Nobody has seen bird flu like this before.