Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th October 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th October 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th October 2022

Post by refitman »

This is a good read. You know, I'm not sure Elon really thought it through.

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Certainly wouldn't be a massive surprise if she was pally with anti-vax people.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Parris is so close to getting it. Ffs.

Johnson had to get Brexit done; the country demanded it;

where during these recent, turbulent years, can we identify any big wrong turning that – under any of our last four administrations, from David Cameron’s to Liz Truss’s – Britain took?

it is the doing not of our politicians, but of the British people.
:roll:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/wha ... out-brexit

Except in 2017, almost, the British people have done exactly what the tory establishment and media told them to do.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Sat 29 Oct, 2022 7:39 am This is a good read. You know, I'm not sure Elon really thought it through.
Well, he did do everything he could to weasel his way out of buying Twitter the moment the drugs wore off.

I cut my teeth on the alt.Newsgroups 20 years ago and the same arguments about free speech were going on then. They were almost entirely unmoderated and it only took one idiot to derail an entire discussion thread so the arguments then were for more moderation. Once moderated forums turned up people fled the newsgroups for good reason. If Musk wants to fritter away $44 billion re-creating a shitty, frustrating experience from the turn of the century then he can have at it. Millions of users will leave, advertising will dry up and as that article states he'll find himself in legal trouble across the world and he'll have nobody to blame but himself.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

He already seems to be backtracking on the "100% TOTAL FREEZE PEACH" thing, surprisingly (or not)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm happy to report that all booster vaccine related unpleasantness completely vanished overnight. One miserable day in exchange for not dying horribly seems fair to me.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sat 29 Oct, 2022 2:23 pm I'm happy to report that all booster vaccine related unpleasantness completely vanished overnight. One miserable day in exchange for not dying horribly seems fair to me.
A good deal ! :-)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Wow, Dan has an actual scoop.

The hack was discovered during the summer Tory leadership campaign, when Ms Truss was Foreign Secretary, but the details were suppressed by the then Prime Minister Boris Johnson and the Cabinet Secretary Simon Case.

One source said the phone was so heavily compromised that it has now been placed in a locked safe inside a secure government location.

It is understood that the messages that fell into foreign hands included criticisms of Mr Johnson made by Ms Truss and Mr Kwarteng, leading to a potential risk of blackmail. Sources said that up to a year's worth of messages were downloaded.

They are also believed to have included highly sensitive discussions with senior international foreign ministers about the war in Ukraine, including detailed discussions about arms shipments.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

More allegations of law breaking by Braverman in the Sunday papers as well, apparently. All a bit of a mess isn't it.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Bwa ha ha ha ha! Andrew Pierce was just on celebrity Chase and was as even thicker than I expected him to be.

He thought Led Zeppelin was a member of Black Sabbath.

Needless to say he got caught by the Chaser and miserably failed to win any money for his charity.

What a twat.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sat 29 Oct, 2022 6:55 pm More allegations of law breaking by Braverman in the Sunday papers as well, apparently. All a bit of a mess isn't it.
I'm guessing that it might dawn on journalists to do a bit of background work on John Hayes' wife and ask how she came to be the recipient of Cabinet papers.

Here's the Guardian article on Braverman's latest...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -officials
Senior officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, say even before she was forced to quit there was already significant disquiet over Braverman’s dealings with Sir John Hayes, leader of the “anti-woke” Common Sense Group of rightwing MPs.

The pair had held a number of meetings in the Home Office’s headquarters in Marsham Street after she became home secretary for the first time last month.

Weeks later Braverman stood down after admitting leaking sensitive government information to Hayes and his wife via her personal email address. She was reinstated by Rishi Sunak days later.

“There’s a dynamic around her leaking stuff. Civil servants had been raising concerns about her meetings with that backbencher [Hayes]; she was having them at Marsham Street,” a Home Office source said.

A separate Whitehall source added that Hayes spoke openly to parliamentary colleagues about being sent sensitive material on immigration policy from Braverman, raising further questions over security.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Meanwhile the ex-PM but one has decided he is going to COP27..that's not a good look for the current one.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Good morning all, hope you all made use of your extra hour's shut eye?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I just went to bed later !

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Bit quiet today innit.
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

I'm a great fan of Doonesbury. Second bubble tells all we need to know how far we've fallen in 40 years.

https://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/1982/10/29
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Good one from the US

28 448 vues 30 oct. 2022
Normal Republicans are being pushed out of the GOP in droves. They are being labeled ‘RINOs’ and ‘traitors’ by a fascist MAGA movement that bears no relation to conservatism. Many of these Republicans will be voting BLUE! These voters shared their stories with us on Twitter and YouTube. This is Part 6 of our series. If you have a similar story, share it with us in the comments!
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

notnowsonny wrote: Sun 30 Oct, 2022 8:14 pm I'm a great fan of Doonesbury. Second bubble tells all we need to know how far we've fallen in 40 years.
Indeed. So what's the state of play at the moment? We have a deranged moron given her second chance as Home Secretary despite multiple breaches of the ministerial code as a result of a grubby political deal done by our current Prime Minister to get himself into power. We have the previous Prime Minister hacked by the Russians and the whole thing covered up by the Prime Minister who preceded her along with the head of the civil service, while that same head of the civil service refuses to open an investigation into said breaches of the ministerial code by said deranged moron.

Outstanding.

Never mind 40 years ago, these would have been scandals a mere 3 years ago before a certain fat useless sack of shit dragged the standards of political life in this country so low an ant would struggle to limbo under them.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Things looking quite tight in Brazil atm. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Meanwhile, I guess Sunak isn't too interested in the female vote then:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_tw
Tory MP who backed cutting abortion time limit named minister for women
Awful incident in Seoul yesterday, as well. I could do with some good new for a change.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 30 Oct, 2022 4:31 pm Bit quiet today innit.
In my case it's because I find this the most depressing day of the year but I've managed to pull myself together with the help of a rather pleasant French Malbec and some Northumbrian goat cheese.

Which reminds me...

Liz Truss’s rider: independent coffee, fresh sandwiches and chilled wine

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -blue-book
She was particularly picky about coffee, according to the authors, Harry Cole and James Heale.

Truss would expect double espressos served in a flat-white-sized takeaway cup, a serialisation of the book printed in the Sunday Times says. But the coffee had to be sourced from independent stores, it says. Truss placed a ban on big-brand coffee except when she was in the UK, when she would accept coffee from Pret a Manger.
Totally understandable, I won't drink any of the muck they serve in those big brand coffee places either.
Sandwiches had to be freshly prepared as Truss would reject any plastic-packed pre-made varieties.
Again understandable, bought pre-packed sandwiches are awful.
For lunch she insisted on bagels or sushi, Cole and Heale write, but there was to be “absolutely no mayonnaise on anything, ever”.
She's lost me there, I'm no fan of bagels or sushi and mayonnaise is great.
For overnight stays a bottle of sauvignon blanc had to be provided in the fridge, the book claims.
And she's got me back.
Kirsky Buchanan, a former aide, is quoted saying: “She drinks about 42,000 espressos a day or she used to when I worked for her … she would sit there with a massive meatball sub or eat three croissants for breakfast. She would carb up; frankly no woman in her 40s should be eating that much and getting away with it.”
This leads me to believe that for a little lady Liz does really big poos. Although all that coffee may mean she does a lot of small poos instead of one big one. Maybe that's why she kept insisting on private jets so nobody could see her going to the toilet all the time.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Pollster DataFolha projecting a Lula win
Pollster DataFolha is projecting a win for Lula, the newspaper Folha (Brazil’s largest) reports
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Willow904 wrote: Sun 30 Oct, 2022 9:46 pm Things looking quite tight in Brazil atm. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
The results look like they're heading in the right direction, please for the love of god can we have something to feel cheerful about?

As for Maria Caulfield being made Minister for Women, Osborne was on Andrew Neil's show on CH4 earlier (in a fetching jeans/jacket ensemble) saying he thought it was a mistake for Sunak to be appeasing the right with such appointments because they would put off liberal Tory voters, but it seems to me Sunak doesn't have a choice. If Osborne spent any time slumming it on Twitter reading the views of the right from GB news to the likes of Oakeshott/Hartley-Brewer he'd see they're teetering on open revolt. Despite all the claims of new found unity Sunak is actually walking a political tightrope at the moment without a safety harness. He may appeal to those of his own MP's who value their own political hides and a bit of sanity, but for a significant chunk of Tory voters he's a backstabbing traitor and, dare I say it, a bit too brown. If he's to stand any chance of surviving until the next election, never mind winning it, he needs to appease the right and unfortunately that means appointing idiots like Caulfield.

Edited because in the process of calling someone else an idiot I missed out an entire word.
Last edited by Sky'sGoneOut on Sun 30 Oct, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Looking like Bolsonaro has indeed lost, though I am still not optimistic he will go quietly.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

"The Prime Minister will say a few words." :lol:

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

One thing I wonder is do Sunak and his wife clean their own toilets? I only ask because her father, despite being a Brahmin, was brought up to be against the caste system and despite his money always made a point of cleaning his own toilet as his father had done before him.

I'm not sure if Sunak will have a caste given his parent's heritage but his wife Akshata Murty does and I can't really see her on her knees in rubber gloves in front of the bowl.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

That's some electoral system they've got there.

https://resultados.tse.jus.br/oficial/a ... resultados
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote: Sun 30 Oct, 2022 10:49 pm "The Prime Minister will say a few words." :lol:
If Mohammed won't go to the mountain, the mountain will come to Mohammed.

Well played sir.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Oh Lula's won! My mouth is doing this weird thing curling up at the sides. I've forgotten what you call it.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »