Friday 12th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Friday 12th December 2014

Post by refitman »

Just one more TE.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Hmm...that Poundshop Enoch Powell line?

Revealed: how Nigel Farage and Ukip begged for Enoch Powell's support

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... pport.html
Nigel Farage personally begged Enoch Powell to support his attempt to win a key by-election nearly two decades ago, The Telegraph can disclose.

Mr Powell, the rightwing former Conservative MP famed for his Rivers of Blood speech, also twice turned down requests to stand for election for Ukip.

However, despite this cool response, Mr Powell endorsed three Ukip candidates for election to Parliament in the mid-1990s.
Well, well...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Cameron's success stories ... we are spoiled for choice but currently have:

Osborne and his autumn statement ... a small state ideological wet dream of stripping back public services to a level not seen since the 30s which has been roundly trounced by just about everyone ... whilst borrowing under his chancellorship scales new heights.

IDS - still putting his hands over his face to deny that food banks and hunger have anything to do with him and his sanctions regime - no none whatsoever - and we learnt this week that the business case for Universal Credit still hasn't been signed off and is now tagged with an amber / red warning status again.

Teresa May - in a real pickle over the lack of vetting of those granted citizenship - still unable to sort out and progress the child abuse enquiry as more and more allegations and connections come to light - and those pesky immigration targets, well nuff said.

Hunt - A & Es in crisis, waiting times growing - NHS trusts on the verge of financial collapse - and Lansley's wonder commissioning groups coming out with decisions like only providing people with one hearing aid ... even when the person has two ears in need of them. Said decision taken with no consultation, no proper impact assessment or review of alternatives, and no engagement with patients or clinicians. Right ... and these were the people Lansley told us knew best what their patients needed and could be most trusted to provide it ... Oh, and more management consultants in the NHS than before his reforms.

I could go on.

How can anyone have any faith in the competence or ability of this shower ... ?
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:Just one more TE.
That ought to have a visual klaxon symbol to go with it ... a real warning. :D
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Thanks for the link, Rebecca.

I went to the article so fast, I didn't see you flagging it up for me!

There's also a cracking bit in there about careers advice. Nelson has no idea that Gove was slaughtered by the (Tory chaired) select committee on careers. Morgan is responding to them by trying to get a structure in. It's been a disaster lately.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Looks like Rod Liddle has crawled out of his cave ...
In the meantime, London Labour has said “We hope [The Sun] apologises for these vile comments today”. That, though, would be a big ask: sorry is not what Rod Liddle and the Sun do voluntarily.

The Sun’s attitude towards disability and trans issues in one: bang out of order.

[UPDATE 1325 hours: hang the flags out, Rod Liddle has managed to muster sufficient decency to apologise for his remarks!

Liddle has now stated that "I wish Emily the very best and I'd definitely vote for her if I lived in Sutton and Cheam. I am sorry for the poor joke!" He should have thought about that beforehand.

Meanwhile, the Sun's slippery PR Dylan Sharpe has vainly tried to spin his way out of the mire: "It's from Rod Liddle's column, where he gives his opinion. It is not the view of The Sun newspaper". Very good Dylan, and which paper would the column have been published within?

That would have been yours]In the meantime, London Labour has said “We hope [The Sun] apologises for these vile comments today”. That, though, would be a big ask: sorry is not what Rod Liddle and the Sun do voluntarily.

The Sun’s attitude towards disability and trans issues in one: bang out of order.

[UPDATE 1325 hours: hang the flags out, Rod Liddle has managed to muster sufficient decency to apologise for his remarks!

Liddle has now stated that "I wish Emily the very best and I'd definitely vote for her if I lived in Sutton and Cheam. I am sorry for the poor joke!" He should have thought about that beforehand.

Meanwhile, the Sun's slippery PR Dylan Sharpe has vainly tried to spin his way out of the mire: "It's from Rod Liddle's column, where he gives his opinion. It is not the view of The Sun newspaper". Very good Dylan, and which paper would the column have been published within?

That would have been yours]
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

White House and GOP scramble to pass budget after revolt by Democrats

http://gu.com/p/445t4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't follow American politics in great detail (predominantly limited to Time, HuffPo and NationalJournal) but Elizabeth Warren does intrigue me. Interested on how the dynamics of her cutting in on the preordained candidacy of Clinton would play out.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

The article is about how stingy the US is. Whereas in the UK, you can expect... Even less.

' A new chart from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development highlights how meager retirement benefits are in America. As compared to 33 other countries, the United States ranks 27th, almost at the bottom, near Mexico, Slovenia and Korea. '

http://www.justcareusa.com/headlines/fo ... t-benefits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:The article is about how stingy the US is. Whereas in the UK, you can expect... Even less.

' A new chart from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development highlights how meager retirement benefits are in America. As compared to 33 other countries, the United States ranks 27th, almost at the bottom, near Mexico, Slovenia and Korea. '

http://www.justcareusa.com/headlines/fo ... t-benefits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The USA frightens me. I'm fortunate my home is the UK. I'll never forget my obligation to this country.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone. I love you dearly. Please sleep well. Thank you for the countdown at the top of the thread. It's not as encouraging as the wind turbines in Bury but it comes close.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:Goodnight, everyone. I love you dearly. Please sleep well. Thank you for the countdown at the top of the thread. It's not as encouraging as the wind turbines in Bury but it comes close.
Night Citizen.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

seeingclearly wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Neighbours, people you trust, people who've roots locally - they may have family members or friends wanting care work - keep it local is my advice. Local church elders may be able to assist in finding someone to help.

Think about this idea - is it too difficult to employ someone as a personal assistant, a care worker? I mean literally acting as employer to a person - I understand the costs of being an employer may be too high. My suggestion may not be suitable.

It's important for the person receiving care to know & trust their helper(s). Those providing care to others need to know what's expected of them, they must be trusty. Are social workers still available to provide the administrative care plan & to keep a watch over the care worker & person receiving care?

I mistrust private agencies. I admit I base my opinion on a prejudice - I don't like middle layers taking wages off workers. Some agencies may be worth paying because they operate a fine, wholesome business, I don't know.

The whole point of the Independent Living Fund was that recipients used their grants to buy care - those who had bigger grants employed PAs.
DLA and PIP are not sufficient to pay someone to help for more than a few hours a week - the maximum care component is £81.30.

Seeingclearly's question is a very good one - if you are not capable of managing day-to-day life, how do you manage finding the help you need?
As with all these things, somebody has to make the assessment, decide what care is needed, then work out where it will come from.

The only thing I can think of is a referral to social services - and how you get one of those when you can't actually function in the basic activities of daily living is a mystery to me.
Thank you all for your kind replies. I've been very independent minded and probably a bit stupid. I was eligible for help as long as five years ago but thought I knew best. Then the cuts happened. I'm lucky because I came in a few months of the right side of being able to retire at sixty.

I've waited nearly two years for treatment that has not materialised and which I hoped would improve matters. It didn't, and things aren't too salubrious a Chez Clearly. I'm in a terrible pickle. It's taken a lot to admit it. I'm due to go home in Feb for several weeks, so it means finding not just help for now but a wheelchair too. All very daunting, I've no idea how timid or fragile people would negotiate this stuff, and it's particularly difficult if there's no partner or family around to help.

Your help is so appreciated. :hug:
You might be able to get some help from Age UK – I don't know how old you need to be for them to help you as they don't seem to have a proper FAQs section on their website and just refer to 'older people' and 'later life'... But they do offer help at home, etc., and can help you to get funding, if you need it and qualify.

Anyhow, scrolling down this page a little will give you a box called What do we do near you? – just enter your postcode and hit Search:
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/

Also, when I first needed a wheelchair (for a few weeks, then) I rented one from a company called Wheelfreedom -who were brilliant and efficient and compared favourably, price-wise, with similar hire companies. They are a nation-wide company for manual and transit chairs (and for some other mobility-aids) but their powered chairs and scooters are London & South-East only:
https://www.wheelfreedom.com
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:VIDEO: Chislehurst man who clashed with Russell Brand on BBC Question Time is UKIP MEP's brother
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11664 ... s_brother/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mwahaha! :rofl:
I knew there was more to him than being just a punter! The lady at the back who challenged him was so good, I got to my feet and applauded her.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/what-its ... scheme-638" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding the pilot scheme of "Supervised Job Search"

""I applied to have my hours restricted because I have to look after my elderly mother, but that wasn't considered a good enough excuse since she doesn't qualify for in-house care." Despite the fact that he is the sole carer of his mother, who has dementia, he stills has to attend the scheme every single day."

Get these barstewards out.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

LadyCentauria wrote: You might be able to get some help from Age UK – I don't know how old you need to be for them to help you as they don't seem to have a proper FAQs section on their website and just refer to 'older people' and 'later life'... But they do offer help at home, etc., and can help you to get funding, if you need it and qualify.

Anyhow, scrolling down this page a little will give you a box called What do we do near you? – just enter your postcode and hit Search:
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/

Also, when I first needed a wheelchair (for a few weeks, then) I rented one from a company called Wheelfreedom -who were brilliant and efficient and compared favourably, price-wise, with similar hire companies. They are a nation-wide company for manual and transit chairs (and for some other mobility-aids) but their powered chairs and scooters are London & South-East only:
https://www.wheelfreedom.com
This.

Call AgeUK, I'd be knocked over it they couldn't offer some assistance or decent advice.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ephemerid wrote:...
I've developed this floor-cleaning technique that involves no bending and wearing rubber sandals with sponges on (don't laugh, it works...)
Quoting just this part of your excellent post because:

Did anyone else burst out laughing, partly from remembering a great spoof of office cleaners 'skating' to Bolero? Might have been an ad but I've looked online and can't find it :( That's the image that flashed into my head!
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ephemerid wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:

Thank you all for your kind replies. I've been very independent minded and probably a bit stupid. I was eligible for help as long as five years ago but thought I knew best. Then the cuts happened. I'm lucky because I came in a few months of the right side of being able to retire at sixty.

I've waited nearly two years for treatment that has not materialised and which I hoped would improve matters. It didn't, and things aren't too salubrious a Chez Clearly. I'm in a terrible pickle. It's taken a lot to admit it. I'm due to go home in Feb for several weeks, so it means finding not just help for now but a wheelchair too. All very daunting, I've no idea how timid or fragile people would negotiate this stuff, and it's particularly difficult if there's no partner or family around to help.

Your help is so appreciated. :hug:

Where do you live, SC?

If you're anywhere near the Welsh borders, we could come round and do a blitz on the housekeeping.
I am absolutely serious - I've done it before for friends in a pickle.

I'm not that well, but it's all a bit low-grade, really. I can still do quite a lot when I put my mind to it (on a good day - don't tell DWP)
I've developed this floor-cleaning technique that involves no bending and wearing rubber sandals with sponges on (don't laugh, it works)

It's bit like StrictlyComeSwabbingOnIce and Showmaster screams OhMyGodShe'sCleaningAgainGetMeOutOfHere.

Of course, this is what you paid your taxes for - so wherever you are, get someone to see you and see your home and do a proper assessment. You're going to need some help and possibly some adaptations to your home to make it work for you.

I don't know where you are now, but your post reads as if you're not at home? If you're in a care institution or hospital, you should ask for a home assessment with a Physio or an OT - they can help to get the things you're going to need.

AgeUK has some good stuff on how to get disability equipment - the advice is good even if you're still 21.
There are certain types of equipment that the state must provide free of charge - but you will probably need a care assessment
The NHS runs wheelchair centres, some have a voucher system; if you are assessed as in need of a wheelchair, you will be entitled to have one free. The centres that operate the voucher system let you use the cash to choose what you want; otherwise, you get a chair as available, and in some places that might be something very basic. If you qualify for a chair, you may also qualify for aids like special loo seats and a hoist for the bath.

See - http://www.ageuk.org.uk/documents/en-gb ... _equipment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi, Ephemerid and thanks for the offer, but I'm nowhere near you. Your post made me smile though! Wonderful picture in my mind of you with those sponges! I'm at home, but can see why you would think I'm not. Sorry for the confusion. I'm one of them bliddy immigrant types, though my dad was from Tredegar. (First me da brought home a bride, then I brought home my children's father. If it had been like it is today I would never've been born, but there you go, these are different times, and it's ok to undo the decencies for the policies of IDS, Grayling and her in Home Office.) Going home is a long story, it's taken half a lifetime to happen, and now it has I'm barely mobile, so it's all a bit daunting, but not as much as the thought of navigating the care system. Thanks for all the information, 'twill all be useful. :hug:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@seeingclearly

Maybe a useful link for you.

http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/guide/Pa ... ghome.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/apply-direct-payments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/guide/as ... ments.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... /dh_113154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 13 Dec, 2014 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

HindleA wrote:@seeingclearly

Maybe a useful link for you.

http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/guide/Pa ... ghome.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/apply-direct-payments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that, @HindleA. I've saved those links because, as it happens, it has become very clear that my father needs help either to remain in his own house or a period to convalesce in a nursing- or care-home, at least temporarily. He has caught a bug that is going around but, because of his CLL, it has hit him particularly hard and left him very weak. Luckily, his GP referred him to the Adult Social Services people yesterday – and his lovely neighbours helped him to get down all the garden steps so he could drive to the shops (very good Mobility Shop, there!) and then they helped him and the shopping back up to the house on Thursday, and put it all away for him. The neighbours are great but it's the halt and the lame helping the halt and the lame... So, I'm going to try to contact his local Age UK tomorrow to ask if they can help out, at least in the interim.

Times like this, I particularly hate my own disabilities. It is nearly six years since I was last able to get into his house which is built on a steep hillside and arranged over five half-levels with steps between every room – thirty-six steps before you even get up to the front door. Luckily it was summer 'cause I had to hoick myself up and down them on my bum! And two weeks ago he made that trip up and down three times because he'd bought some awkwardly-shaped bulky things on his way back from a two-mile walk along the estuary. Just shows how quickly something can knock you down.

@seeingclearly: I do hope that you can get some help in. If you're near me (SW London) I can't offer @ephe's specialty sponge-skating performance. But if you want your books/albums/films, etc., filing according to author/artist/director, by publication date, genre, colour of cover or any such finicky system – or your crockery washed to showroom standard v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y? Well, I'm your woman. As an encore, I always buy exactly what's specified on the shopping list ;)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@LC
https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;