Friday 12th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 12th December 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-30439592

"Man to be deported because wife's salary too low"
I'm sick inside - oh, I'm sorry for this family. I'm so sorry.
The couple met in 2009 working on a cruise ship and lived in South Africa for four years.

They moved to the UK in January 2013 with Mr Engel on a holiday visa, living first in Yorkshire and then in Cornwall.
These are UK citizens, their spouses & children - unless they'd hired someone dedicated to monitoring in real time the jack-ass immigration changes government can make, they wouldn't know, wouldn't understand the implications. Yes, changes get posted somewhere, sometimes with a lot of publicity. But people living with their partner & children making a living somewhere other than the UK won't know or wouldn't believe they'd not be able to come back to the UK with their family.
It's a very poor policy - penalising low income areas disproportionately. Over half the people in Wales don't earn enough to qualify to bring their spouses / relatives here from overseas ... if they had them. That's just disgraceful discrimination in my book.
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-30439592

"Man to be deported because wife's salary too low"
I'm sick inside - oh, I'm sorry for this family. I'm so sorry.
The couple met in 2009 working on a cruise ship and lived in South Africa for four years.

They moved to the UK in January 2013 with Mr Engel on a holiday visa, living first in Yorkshire and then in Cornwall.
These are UK citizens, their spouses & children - unless they'd hired someone dedicated to monitoring in real time the jack-ass immigration changes government can make, they wouldn't know, wouldn't understand the implications. Yes, changes get posted somewhere, sometimes with a lot of publicity. But people living with their partner & children making a living somewhere other than the UK won't know or wouldn't believe they'd not be able to come back to the UK with their family.
It's a very poor policy - penalising low income areas disproportionately. Over half the people in Wales don't earn enough to qualify to bring their spouses / relatives here from overseas ... if they had them. That's just disgraceful discrimination in my book.
And if the UK citizen is a woman, generally speaking, she's making less money. Please note, I've written 'generally' - statistically speaking, women in the UK make less money than men.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think the new Teresa Kitten Heels legislation of 2012 which requires a higher income for applicants seeking to remain as a spouse or partner are draconian and wrong.
I think there is an issue there.

I don't often look round Tower Hamlets and think "we need a load more low income foreign spouses" moving here. On the other hand, the arranged marriages are part of the culture that's helping Bangladeshis overcome massive disadvantages and do well at school, and become visibly much more self-confident than years ago.

I'd be interested to see what Bengali women's groups think.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:Good-morning - soon to be afternoon - oops - the morning is, in fact, gone. Good afternoon.
Apologies for failing to say goodnight to you all yesterday, tough day.

There are days I can't find mainstream information about current affairs, yesterday was one of them - it's frustrating.
I was looking for further information about the drop in oil prices, loosely speaking, drop in oil prices but there's more to that topic than just drop in oil prices. Something's going on. I want to know what we're looking at from a socio-economic, political & environmental point of view. There's fear - there's lots of underlying fear. Apologies for sounding like a Jedi trainee. When sombre, doom-laden headlines in one part of the week don't get resolved & more alarmingly, don't get any follow-up in mainstream press, that's fear at work, wilful or genuine ignorance & fear.

I got fed-up with absurd news stories about nothing.

However, I've read some wonderful contributions recently from Jack Monroe, Mr. Savage & other write ups from wise people dropping by to give us the benefit of their experiences on the G's CIF.
I hope the following helps with the oil price question:
Four things are now affecting the picture. Demand is low because of weak economic activity, increased efficiency, and a growing switch away from oil to other fuels. Second, turmoil in Iraq and Libya—two big oil producers with nearly 4m barrels a day combined—has not affected their output. The market is more sanguine about geopolitical risk. Thirdly, America has become the world’s largest oil producer. Though it does not export crude oil, it now imports much less, creating a lot of spare supply. Finally, the Saudis and their Gulf allies have decided not to sacrifice their own market share to restore the price. They could curb production sharply, but the main benefits would go to countries they detest such as Iran and Russia. Saudi Arabia can tolerate lower oil prices quite easily. It has $900 billion in reserves. Its own oil costs very little (around $5-6 per barrel) to get out of the ground.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economis ... explains-4

If oil prices remain low it will have an impact on the cost-effectiveness of Scottish oil, which is becoming increasingly expensive to extract. It may make fracking less attractive also, but I'm not sure.

On another note, it appears David Cameron isn't abroad at all but in Northern Ireland, as I'm sure you all knew. I seem to have completely missed this somewhat unsuccessful visit. Perhaps the unsuccessfulness of it made it un-newsworthy?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Not political or news. Does anyone know how to access help when disability has overtaken the ability to manage day to day life? I can find nothing about this. It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of access to practical help. My council website points to Community Links, but other than that is unhelpful.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I think the new Teresa Kitten Heels legislation of 2012 which requires a higher income for applicants seeking to remain as a spouse or partner are draconian and wrong.

I don't often look round Tower Hamlets and think "we need a load more low income foreign spouses" moving here. On the other hand, the arranged marriages are part of the culture that's helping Bangladeshis overcome massive disadvantages and do well at school, and become visibly much more self-confident than years ago.

Me too. My knowledge of Bangladeshi communities in the UK is shamefully spare.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Has Anatoly done a by-elections round up, does anyone know?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

It is coming - there were 12 contests in all (including one, in W Lancs, only discovered at the last minute) so plenty to cover :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Can you expand on that / explain what your reasons are for asserting this Tubby? Not sure I get it ... and arranged marriages have been far from positive in the experience of some people I've known and worked with.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:It is coming - there were 12 contests in all (including one, in W Lancs, only discovered at the last minute) so plenty to cover :)
Excellent. Looking forward to it. :D
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

seeingclearly wrote:Not political or news. Does anyone know how to access help when disability has overtaken the ability to manage day to day life? I can find nothing about this. It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of access to practical help. My council website points to Community Links, but other than that is unhelpful.
Social services would usually provide and pay for a company to do this i would imagine. In my case I have Care UK (who are a big donater to the Conservative party) for two hours a week to do the chores I can't . They can also provide help for bathing, cooking meals etc. Maybe your gp could refer you for an assessment :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:Not political or news. Does anyone know how to access help when disability has overtaken the ability to manage day to day life? I can find nothing about this. It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of access to practical help. My council website points to Community Links, but other than that is unhelpful.
Neighbours, people you trust, people who've roots locally - they may have family members or friends wanting care work - keep it local is my advice. Local church elders may be able to assist in finding someone to help.

Think about this idea - is it too difficult to employ someone as a personal assistant, a care worker? I mean literally acting as employer to a person - I understand the costs of being an employer may be too high. My suggestion may not be suitable.

It's important for the person receiving care to know & trust their helper(s). Those providing care to others need to know what's expected of them, they must be trusty. Are social workers still available to provide the administrative care plan & to keep a watch over the care worker & person receiving care?

I mistrust private agencies. I admit I base my opinion on a prejudice - I don't like middle layers taking wages off workers. Some agencies may be worth paying because they operate a fine, wholesome business, I don't know.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:It is coming - there were 12 contests in all (including one, in W Lancs, only discovered at the last minute) so plenty to cover :)
Excellent. Looking forward to it. :D
Two losses for Labour (though both widely expected) but a few decent results elsewhere - and some wild swings all round!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Does that 12 include the Trumpton by election?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Does that 12 include the Trumpton by election?
Labour landslide :D
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Can you expand on that / explain what your reasons are for asserting this Tubby? Not sure I get it ... and arranged marriages have been far from positive in the experience of some people I've known and worked with.
Same with my next door neighbour. Two, both bad. Her sister's seems to be good though.

To me, the arranged marriages to low income foreign spouses look like a big disadvantage. But can I, without really knowing all that much about it, take one element out of the culture of British Bangladeshis like that? I can see there have been big improvements in how they're doing. Am I not understanding what's happening?

So I think we need to speak to Bangladeshi women.

Edit- I see what you mean. I was saying the overall culture is producing people doing much better. I wasn't saying arranged marriages were!
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Fri 12 Dec, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 12 Dec, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MorganLlan
Backbencher

Post by MorganLlan »

citizenJA wrote:
Generally it is accepted that it is not reasonable to expect a child who is a British citizen to leave the UK and deporting the child's father would infringe both his and the child's right to family life.
It used to be generally accepted. It's not any more.

It really still is sufficient in some cases.
Here is paragraph EX(1) and the guidance with regard to children. As a caseworker, I would have granted such an application as a partner under the paragraph EX1) if there was evidence of the existence of a British Child, under this guidance.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... tach/6/EX1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Consideration of child s best interests.pdf

and in particular this

Would it be unreasonable to expect the child to leave the UK?
In the case of British citizen children
7. Save in cases involving criminality it will not be possible to take a decision in relation to the parent of a British citizen child where the effect of that decision would be to force the British citizen child to leave the EU – this is consistent with the ECJ judgement in Zambrano.

The difficulty with paragraph EX(1) is the final criteria - which says there would be insurmountable obstacles to family life continuing in the applicant's home country or it would not be reasonable to expect the family member who is the basis of the applicant's claim to leave the country. In the case of a couple, the attitude is that family life can continue with a spouse by the spouse leaving the country with the applicant no matter what the language, cultural or economic barriers may be. But we were told that it's a big no no if there is a British child because of the Zambrano judgement.So in this case a decision to refuse leave to remain as the partner of a British citizen under paragraph EX(1) would result in a decision which would mean also that the British citizen child would also have to leave the country to maintain family life and that would be incompatible with the ECJ ruling.

Without seeing the appeal judgment it's hard to know why the judge in this case did not consider this, unless the application did not cover the child because it was not born at the time. The judge can only rule on the facts if the application and decision originally made.

Part of the reason I couldn't stay working at the home office for any longer (February to October last year) was that some of my colleagues attitude to the reasonableness of a claim and the intent of the 2012 rules and their implementation was incompatible with my conscience as a human being.

In any event, deportation will not happen whilst there is an outstanding application, so that would be the first thing to do - submit a fresh application on a further leave to remain (other) application form.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

MorganLlan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Generally it is accepted that it is not reasonable to expect a child who is a British citizen to leave the UK and deporting the child's father would infringe both his and the child's right to family life.
It used to be generally accepted. It's not any more.

It really still is sufficient in some cases.
Here is paragraph EX(1) and the guidance with regard to children. As a caseworker, I would have granted such an application as a partner under the paragraph EX1) if there was evidence of the existence of a British Child, under this guidance.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... tach/6/EX1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Consideration of child s best interests.pdf

and in particular this

Would it be unreasonable to expect the child to leave the UK?
In the case of British citizen children
7. Save in cases involving criminality it will not be possible to take a decision in relation to the parent of a British citizen child where the effect of that decision would be to force the British citizen child to leave the EU – this is consistent with the ECJ judgement in Zambrano.

The difficulty with paragraph EX(1) is the final criteria - which says there would be insurmountable obstacles to family life continuing in the applicant's home country or it would not be reasonable to expect the family member who is the basis of the applicant's claim to leave the country. In the case of a couple, the attitude is that family life can continue with a spouse by the spouse leaving the country with the applicant no matter what the language, cultural or economic barriers may be. But we were told that it's a big no no if there is a British child because of the Zambrano judgement.So in this case a decision to refuse leave to remain as the partner of a British citizen under paragraph EX(1) would result in a decision which would mean also that the British citizen child would also have to leave the country to maintain family life and that would be incompatible with the ECJ ruling.

Without seeing the appeal judgment it's hard to know why the judge in this case did not consider this, unless the application did not cover the child because it was not born at the time. The judge can only rule on the facts if the application and decision originally made.

Part of the reason I couldn't stay working at the home office for any longer (February to October last year) was that some of my colleagues attitude to the reasonableness of a claim and the intent of the 2012 rules and their implementation was incompatible with my conscience as a human being.

In any event, deportation will not happen whilst there is an outstanding application, so that would be the first thing to do - submit a fresh application on a further leave to remain (other) application form.
Thank you for your responses to this thread. You're a friend to me.

It's Kafkaesque, these judicial contortions. I hate using the word, 'Kafkaesque' but no other word will do.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:http://www.housingexcellence.co.uk/news ... ted-sector

"Government to gamble 3.5 billion on scheme to boost private rented sector"
:fire:

Words fail me.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Interesting tweet from Peter Jukes for those following the phone hacking trials
Jukes.jpg
Jukes.jpg (24.52 KiB) Viewed 13816 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -liability" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boardroom greed: how to bring an errant multinational to heel
Changing the law on limited liability is the nuclear option, but it could force errant firms to repent

Larry Elliott
The Guardian, Friday 12 December 2014

Okay article, the ideas in it are good, that's why I'm posting it. 'Corporations as people', though not explicitly stated in the article, are present in the comments below the line. Also pointed out, rightly, below the line, though the US Supreme Court ruling(s) have given corporations some rights individual people enjoy, it's by no means accurate to say 'corporations have the same rights as human beings'. Also, that's US law - no such law exists in the UK.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

I would phone social services adult care and speak to somebody in the intake team.
Really,they should send somebody out to assess the situation and advise from there.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

citizenJA wrote:
Neighbours, people you trust, people who've roots locally - they may have family members or friends wanting care work - keep it local is my advice. Local church elders may be able to assist in finding someone to help.

Think about this idea - is it too difficult to employ someone as a personal assistant, a care worker? I mean literally acting as employer to a person - I understand the costs of being an employer may be too high. My suggestion may not be suitable.

It's important for the person receiving care to know & trust their helper(s). Those providing care to others need to know what's expected of them, they must be trusty. Are social workers still available to provide the administrative care plan & to keep a watch over the care worker & person receiving care?

I mistrust private agencies. I admit I base my opinion on a prejudice - I don't like middle layers taking wages off workers. Some agencies may be worth paying because they operate a fine, wholesome business, I don't know.

The whole point of the Independent Living Fund was that recipients used their grants to buy care - those who had bigger grants employed PAs.
DLA and PIP are not sufficient to pay someone to help for more than a few hours a week - the maximum care component is £81.30.

Seeingclearly's question is a very good one - if you are not capable of managing day-to-day life, how do you manage finding the help you need?
As with all these things, somebody has to make the assessment, decide what care is needed, then work out where it will come from.

The only thing I can think of is a referral to social services - and how you get one of those when you can't actually function in the basic activities of daily living is a mystery to me.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Apparently Richard Desmond has just given a great pile of cash to UKIP and his papers are likely to come out in support of them at the election.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/d ... gel-farage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy Greenslade reckons its a big deal, but personally I think the days when newspapers could sway election results are long gone. Especially a newspaper as insignificant as the Express is these days.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

The whole point of the Independent Living Fund was that recipients used their grants to buy care - those who had bigger grants employed PAs.
DLA and PIP are not sufficient to pay someone to help for more than a few hours a week - the maximum care component is £81.30.

Seeingclearly's question is a very good one - if you are not capable of managing day-to-day life, how do you manage finding the help you need?
As with all these things, somebody has to make the assessment, decide what care is needed, then work out where it will come from.

The only thing I can think of is a referral to social services - and how you get one of those when you can't actually function in the basic activities of daily living is a mystery to me.
Thank you! Ephemerid is here! Seeingclearly's question makes me painfully aware of what I don't know enough about. Please let me know if what I've written is inappropriate in any way. Thank goodness you're here. I've been looking for information too, online through the council.

I'm still searching & getting cranky.

But it's three o'clock in the afternoon in the middle of December. Let's all have hot tea, ginger cake with cream cheese icing. We'll be all the better for it.

I get wistful. I'm sure my company would get wearisome for you all but I do wish we lived closer to each other. You could always tell me to wander home when I became tedious.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tish wrote:Apparently Richard Desmond has just given a great pile of cash to UKIP and his papers are likely to come out in support of them at the election.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/d ... gel-farage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy Greenslade reckons its a big deal, but personally I think the days when newspapers could sway election results are long gone. Especially a newspaper as insignificant as the Express is these days.
Desmond prefers to be called a "Media Magnate".
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

Who would have thought that the newspaper whose raison d'etre is blaming immigrants, harkening back to the 1950's whose deputy chairman is the UKIP Peer Lord Stevens and whose former political correspondent is a UKIP MEP would announce that they are now supporting UKIP?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:
Tish wrote:Apparently Richard Desmond has just given a great pile of cash to UKIP and his papers are likely to come out in support of them at the election.

Sounds a bit better than Porn King.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Right, that's it - I think the Guardian has gone full Beta now - can't find a single article where I can view the comments. It'll be mobile only for me, from now on.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

StephenDolan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Sounds a bit better than Porn King.
"I'm Paul Nuttal off of the UKIPs, and we want the Hottest and Brightest Asian Babes. . . "
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

DonutHingeParty wrote:Right, that's it - I think the Guardian has gone full Beta now - can't find a single article where I can view the comments. It'll be mobile only for me, from now on.
I'm as upset about it as you are, DHP. It's not just because it's different, no. The beta format won't let the user see enough to choose well from. Can someone explain this better than I am, please? One of my favourite sections, the Environment section, went full beta some time ago. I can't find anything but the five most seen articles that are invariably dumb & instead of being able to ignore & find the good stuff, I have to spend too much time going through their Lego Land pagination. It's too off-putting, something too childish about it. I realise I'm not explaining my complaints about the beta format well.

This I will say, I thought I'd get used to it. I haven't.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Very interesting article by cartoonist Martin Rowson in Tribune magazine describing a lunch he had with David Davis.
Better still, we then had a jovial and wholly unpublishable chat about the private recreations of David and Samantha Cameron, and he vouched safe that Michael Howard, stepping down as Tory leader in 2005, wanted to be succeeded by George Osborne and not by Cameron, because, Davis told me, he “knew what Cameron was like”. That is, lazy, over-entitled and complacent.
https://cartoonistrowson.wordpress.com/ ... mber-2014/
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

DonutHingeParty wrote:Right, that's it - I think the Guardian has gone full Beta now - can't find a single article where I can view the comments. It'll be mobile only for me, from now on.
Nope, happily there are still quite a few on the politics page that are "old style".

Beta is gradually taking over (the entire sports section has switched, for instance) but I don't expect a total switchover until the new year.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

danesclose wrote:Very interesting article by cartoonist Martin Rowson in Tribune magazine describing a lunch he had with David Davis.
Better still, we then had a jovial and wholly unpublishable chat about the private recreations of David and Samantha Cameron, and he vouched safe that Michael Howard, stepping down as Tory leader in 2005, wanted to be succeeded by George Osborne and not by Cameron, because, Davis told me, he “knew what Cameron was like”. That is, lazy, over-entitled and complacent.
https://cartoonistrowson.wordpress.com/ ... mber-2014/
I think my favourite paragraph is
And then he talked at length, and fascinatingly, about the whole process by which Prime Ministers go mad: surrounded by lackeys and increasingly disconnected from reality (just think Thatcher and Blair). So I asked him how he’d have avoided falling into the same trap if he’d got the job. “Oh, I’d invite you round to dinner once a month to call me a wanker.”
:D
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Rebecca wrote:
I would phone social services adult care and speak to somebody in the intake team.
Really,they should send somebody out to assess the situation and advise from there.
I would strongly advise that, and also ensure that you contact one of your local councillors to enlist their help - it can speed up the process considerably if an elected representative is on the case, and I should know having just intervened on behalf of a woman who had her child tax credits stopped dead due to a (minor) change of circumstances. Given that she still had her kids, it mystified me as to why. She turned to me because it would take about 8 weeks to process the claim, and with Xmas coming, that's bad news. Fortunately I've been able to get officers at the council to contact her with a view to getting her a (non repayable) grant as soon as possible, ie, before Xmas.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

citizenJA wrote:
I get wistful. I'm sure my company would get wearisome for you all but I do wish we lived closer to each other. You could always tell me to wander home when I became tedious.
Judging by our "off-piste" conversation the other day, I don't think your company would ever be tedious. :hug:

Back to the point - local authorities have a statutory duty to assess people in need of care - but how they deliver this varies from place to place. Some will send you a form to fill in, some allow a degree of self-assessment, some insist on an examination at a hospital or GP/OP clinic - it can be weeks or months before you get a proper assessment. Some Social Services departments won't do an assessment unless they get a referral from a medical practitioner, or possibly a teacher in the case of children.

The original question was how do people who can't manage on their own find out what's available to them, and the answer is they can't do it without help - unless they are capable of dealing with the paperwork/assessments etc., the local authorities and whatever system they're using, and organising whatever medical referrals etc. they need to access the care and the funding for it.

I suspect there are a lot of people out there, especially older people and people with degenerative conditions, who don't realise that they are entitled to support from their local authority who are paid to provide it.
I also think that some people are not accessing help because they are being told by DWPs contractors that they are not ill or disabled enough to qualify for ESA or DLA/PIP, so they assume that they don't qualify for any help at all.

There's an area in the UK somewhere that was in the news recently - to get a Blue Badge, in some places you have to prove you are in receipt of higher-level mobility component of DLA/PIP, and this particular authority were not issuing badges unless the person had such a benefit award. The authority wasn't looking at any other evidence - just the existence of the right kind of benefit award.

I think that LAs are quite good once you have had an assessment and they do their best (often under very difficult conditions) to provide the care people need to live independently at home - but access is much easier in some places and the overall provision is patchy.

The ILF was much more flexible and although the assessments were tough, they were fair - disabled people could organise their own care once they had an established grant; and it's my view (and my professional experience) that unless someone has cognitive problems or severe learning difficulties, they usually know best how to live their own lives and to decide what care they need.

The abolition of the ILF is probably the worst thing this government has done - in a catalogue of cruelties - and not only will disabled people not have the smaller amount of funding for its' replacement at risk because it is not ringfenced, they are likely to lose the funding for PAs which is bad news for the disabled person, the PA, and the unemployment figures.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
I would strongly advise that, and also ensure that you contact one of your local councillors to enlist their help - it can speed up the process considerably if an elected representative is on the case, and I should know having just intervened on behalf of a woman who had her child tax credits stopped dead due to a (minor) change of circumstances. Given that she still had her kids, it mystified me as to why. She turned to me because it would take about 8 weeks to process the claim, and with Xmas coming, that's bad news. Fortunately I've been able to get officers at the council to contact her with a view to getting her a (non repayable) grant as soon as possible, ie, before Xmas.
"Here we should take inspiration from what Labour local government has been able to do and give them the chance to do more. We will devolve unprecedented levels of spending from Whitehall to local people over a whole range of areas, including transport, skills and back to work programmes. Local government leaders rightly want control over these budgets."

- Ed Miliband - 11 December 2014

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1049183 ... he-deficit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You get things done, ErnstRemarx; thank you. You're an example to us all.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Well, quite. The Daily Diana/Snowmageddon/Alzheimer'sCure is even more right wing than the fucking Mail, and that's saying something. The Excess has been advocating for UKIP ever since they perceived that Cameron was only very right wing, as opposed to racist and fascist (which is the Excess' natural territory). It's possibly the shittest paper in the UK, and that's with very strong competition from fellow loons. It's a good fit: both parties agree that the 1950s is the place to be (when the membership of one and the readership of the other were in their 20s, I presume) and I'm sure that Farago will have no scruples in taking money from a pornographer like Desmond. Ironically, it seems that amongst Desmond's lesser known publications lurks a magazine by the title of Asian Babes. Clearly not too proud to make money out the sort of people they'd all like to deport inthe Excess and UKIP.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

'Ere we go:
Anatoly Kasparov wrote:No fewer than twelve local council contests yesterday!

Sunderland - Labour hold with a modest swing to the Tories since May and a bigger one since 2011/12; they may still be relieved though given that the incumbent had to resign under a cloud amidst expenses allegations and the Tories actually won here in 2007 and 2008 (and an intervening by-election) UKIP who came second this year dropped back a bit and fell to third - Greens scored less than 5% but still had twice as much as the LibDems who fell to a new low here.

Broxtowe DC - Tory hold with a swing of over 4% from Labour since 2011 (but a much lower one since a previous by-election the following year) with UKIP not far behind with over 19%, their best showing since they started contesting this ward in 2007. LibDems came second back then and still polled respectably in 2012, but no show now.

Argyll and Bute - SNP hold, though that doesn't really tell the whole story as they won with over 60% of first preferences meaning a swing of 35% from the Tories since 2012 (who finished a clear first here both then and in 2007) This may be at least partly die to the hapless Tory candidate being based some 50 miles away from this division - strange anywhere, but more so in a rural ward like this where personal votes can counts. They actually suffered the indignity of being leadfrogged into third by the LibDem, and weren't all that far ahead of Labour who got over 10% after not standing in the last two polls.

Lincolnshire - UKIP gain from Lincs Independents as they took 31% after not standing last year whilst the Lincs Inds crashed to 4th with their share cut by two thirds since then. Labour will be pleased to have taken second holding their vote, and pushing the Tories (also down by double digits) into third, LibDems last after not standing last time with a still decent 11%. A sign UKIP are overcoming their recent internal problems in these parts?

Carmarthenshire - Plaid gain from Independent (the incumbent retired aged 90 and had represented this area since the 1960s) with another huge swing as their vote increased from a third last time to a two thirds share now - another demonstration of personal votes counting for more in rural areas? Indies thrashed this time, but still ahead if the LibDems whose share was almost unchanged on 2012.

Windsor and Maidenhead - Tory hold with half the vote and a decent swing from the LibDems in a ward where the latter declined further after winning all three seats in both 2003 (easily) and 2007, this time round they were almost caught by UKIP who gained 19% standing here for the first time and pushing Labour (little changed on 2011) into 4th.

West Lancashire DC - Labour hold in their Skelmersdale stronghold with 88% of the vote in a straight fight with the Tories, actually a tiny pro-Tory swing since the last contest in 2012 but a swing to Labour since the previous year. Interestingly, the Labour monolith here was challenged by Independents in the 2002-04 (they nearly won in the latter year) but they last showed up in 2008 and this is utterly one sided again now.

Halton - Labour hold beating UKIP by over 3 to 1, almost unchanged since May when it was a straight fight between them; Tories and LibDems intervened this time but the former got just 3% and the latter half that. This has long been a Labour stronghold save for one bizarre exception in 2010 when a nominations paper mess up meant a LibDem gain with the Greens in second - the contrast with now is obvious.

New Forest DC - a Tory monolith this time, they held this with 77% of the vote well up on 2011 when the LibDems came second; with their not showing now UKIP took a *very* distant second whilst Labour saw their share halved since then. An Independent nearly won here in 2003 and still polled strongly in 2007, but they have also vanished now.

Aylesbury Vale DC - two LibDem wins here, the first was a hold where they were run close in this usual stronghold by UKIP who advanced from 4th in 2011 to second now whilst the opposite happened to the Tories who tied with Labour (whose share also fell but not as much) with Greens and an Indy getting less than 5% between them. The other was a gain from Labour who took one of the two seats in 2011 in this normally safe LibDem ward, they fell to third now as UKIP advanced again. Tories also down as the fell to 4th. Greens last with 3%.

Moray - SNP gain from Labour, though they needed preferences this time as their share fell back a bit on 2012 (their two candidates then easily outpolled the single Labour nominee, who by all accounts had a decent personal vote - they also won easily in 2007) Independents move from 4th then to 2nd now with nearly a quarter of the vote, whilst the Labour share halved and the Tories also declined a bit. UKIP with just over 4%, narrowly beating the Greens into last.

Phew!

Not quite the end, though - next week has at least two contests to round off 2014.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Thank you, Ephemerid, you are dearly loved.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

citizenJA wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
Rebecca wrote: I would phone social services adult care and speak to somebody in the intake team.
"Here we should take inspiration from what Labour local government has been able to do and give them the chance to do more. We will devolve unprecedented levels of spending from Whitehall to local people over a whole range of areas, including transport, skills and back to work programmes. Local government leaders rightly want control over these budgets."

- Ed Miliband - 11 December 2014

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1049183 ... he-deficit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You get things done, ErnstRemarx; thank you. You're an example to us all.
Oh give over. Well, thanks, you're making me blush. It's only what any of you would have done in the circumstances. I'm simply able to do more because I've got Cllr in front of my name.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted.
Last edited by HindleA on Fri 12 Dec, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Gilsey & HindleA

"Government to gamble 3.5 billion on scheme to boost private rented sector"

:fire:

Words fail me.
Apologies for quoting so much of this article - it must be seen to be believed.
"The Government has given its backing to the private rented sector in a deal to guarantee security on £3.5bn worth of loan financing for the construction of new homes.

Housing minister Brandon Lewis said the agreement with PRS Operations Ltd, a subsidiary of Venn Partners LLP, is an important part of the Government’s efforts to create a “bigger, better private rented sector”.

Under the scheme, landlords of new rented homes will be able to use a Government guarantee to secure long-term financing.

Initially, up to £3.5bn in government-backed loans will be made available to landlords looking to invest at least £10 million for new homes for private rent – with the option to increase this to £6.5 billion in future.

This aim of the scheme is increase the supply of “purpose built, professionally managed” private rental homes giving tenants “more choice of better quality” homes.

We’ve pulled out all the stops to get the country building since 2010, including by creating a bigger better private rented sector,” said Lewis. “[The] deal with Venn Partners will secure a £3.5bn investment in delivering homes specifically for private rent to ensure a range of developers across the industry get to expand into this growing market.

“This is an exciting and important move that will help strengthen the private rented sector so that it meets the needs of tenants well into the future. But this wouldn’t have been possible without the tough economic decisions we’ve had to make to restore confidence in our economy, and it’s this strong record that has unlocked this funding."

Danny Alexander, chief secretary to the Treasury, added: “Unlocking £3.5bn of funding for the private rented sector will ensure that we continue to deliver the homes that people across the country need, as part of creating a stronger economy and fairer society.
(my bold) An under-regulated market favouring landlords, unenforced laws therefore not protecting tenants, grossly unequal relationship between landlord & tenants, landlords holding most of the power, the UK private rental housing sector is generously handed funding by current government, Danny Alexander, spokesperson, here having the audacity to call it "part of creating a stronger economy & fairer society."

http://www.housingexcellence.co.uk/news ... ted-sector
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ephemerid wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Thank you all for your kind replies. I've been very independent minded and probably a bit stupid. I was eligible for help as long as five years ago but thought I knew best. Then the cuts happened. I'm lucky because I came in a few months of the right side of being able to retire at sixty.

I've waited nearly two years for treatment that has not materialised and which I hoped would improve matters. It didn't, and things aren't too salubrious a Chez Clearly. I'm in a terrible pickle. It's taken a lot to admit it. I'm due to go home in Feb for several weeks, so it means finding not just help for now but a wheelchair too. All very daunting, I've no idea how timid or fragile people would negotiate this stuff, and it's particularly difficult if there's no partner or family around to help.

Your help is so appreciated. :hug:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Durand Academy have withdrawn their planning appeal on the ludicrous boarding school in rural Sussex. So those Lambeth kids will remain at schools where they're doing well anyway.

http://www.chichester.co.uk/news/local/ ... -1-6467857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scaled down plan to be drawn up, no doubt.

Hopefully Hunt (or Morgan, if she survives the election) will scrap this nonsense.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@ErnstRemarx -

I didn't post from Miliband's latest speech to make a joke or embarrass you & apologies if I've done it badly.
I admire what you do. Miliband had you in mind when he gave his speech.

"It's only what any of you would have done in the circumstances."
- ErnstRmarx - 12 December 2014

I think that too. Most of us would go far to help people in our communities.
xx
JA
new,improved yahyah
Backbencher

Post by new,improved yahyah »

1,2,3...testing.

Had problems after my husband did some computer fixes for me.

Have had to re-register as FTN wouldn't send me a 'forgot my password' email fix.

So now am 'new, improved yahyah' user name.
new,improved yahyah
Backbencher

Post by new,improved yahyah »

Edited to delete accidental duplicate post.
Last edited by new,improved yahyah on Fri 12 Dec, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

We heard you the first time :)