Weekend Edition - Saturday 13th. and Sunday 14th December

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Re: Weekend Edition - Saturday 13th. and Sunday 14th Decembe

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Keir Starmer selected as Labour's candidate for the next GE in Holborn & St Pancras - on the first ballot reportedly.
Excellent news. When you think of what we have now in Chris Grayling who isn't even a lawyer, having someone of Starmer's calibre to fill one of the legal positions is good stuff.

When he was said to be in the running I checked his law firm's website which has been in that constituency for a fair number of years so can hardly be accused of having been parachuted in. Born in Southwark apparently.
Be honest, Grayling barely ranks as a human being!

Yvette Cooper, Sadiq Khan & Keir Starmer .... now that would be a Home Office team that would fill me with confidence.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
It could be converted into housing for anyone, if not MPs then maybe local people waiting for a council home.
Historic buildings aren't cheap to convert. Like St Pancras, the money involved is so great that high end conversions are understandable.
So slap a Section 106 (or whatever) onto the developing lease-holder to provide a percentage of social-rent dwellings. And require them to match the standard of workmanship of the SR dwellings to the non-SR ones. And the same square-footage for each size dwelling. And no bloody Poor Doors!

BTW, did the Hinduja Bros conglomerate have to tender for this lease or did they just buy it as highest-bidder?

(I am very much in Manifesto-/Bills-mode tonight...)
In the same building, in a non-residential area? You could build more purpose built social flats in Pimlico, which is a mixed area and less than half a mile away, for far less.

I'm not particularly fussed about poor doors. As long as a decent deal is got by the council (Tower Hamlets and Hackney have done well with that), I'm OK. With a Labour mayor calling in decisions by Tory boroughs deliberately negotiating badly.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Greens at just 2% in the latest ComRes poll, Tories up 3 to 33% (Labour on 34%) Hmmm.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

StephenDolan wrote:Woe betide anyone trying to get a healthy debate going BTL on the Jim Murphy elected pieces.
They've been all over Twitter today as well. I may have worn the 'Mute' button out. :D
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Just had a pre Xmas get together meal for those family we're not going to see beforehand. Politics came up, shocked to hear the "I'm voting Conservative because I want them to carry on with the recovery". A few calm questions, facts provided and recommended reading lists later and there was no budging.
There was no dismissing of the facts regarding the debt, AAA rating etc yet 'Miliband is unelectable ' continued. SMH.

The only silver lining was Mrs D afterwards saying to me later (unprompted) how she couldn't believe what she was hearing. For someone who had no interested in politics a few years ago I'll take that as a small victory :wink:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Greens at just 2% in the latest ComRes poll, Tories up 3 to 33% (Labour on 34%) Hmmm.......
This is an interesting snippet.
Andrew Hawkins ‏@Andrew_ComRes · 24m24 minutes ago
ComRes/S Mirror/IoS has just five points between Cam & Ed M on preferred leader to run the country
Even NickyB would find it difficult to spin that one!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Greens at just 2% in the latest ComRes poll, Tories up 3 to 33% (Labour on 34%) Hmmm.......
Aha Khaaaannnnn's diabolical plan to attack the Green Party is working then.

Or a dodgy sample, you decide.
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ComedyResults again - its been a while since they produced anything really daft, tbh ;)
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Esther's visit to the local Royal Mail sorting office hasn't gone down too well on the CWU Facebook page
ScreenShot00109.jpg
ScreenShot00109.jpg (69.02 KiB) Viewed 12550 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Evening Citizen. Rhapsodic is a fine word.
Thank you, RR2.

Just come back from the Jim Murphy thread on the G.
StephenDolan is correct about the state of the thing - horrific.
MichaelSylvain made a good post.
Sorry I don't have the link - my computer is not functioning well - everything takes forever to load.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Seems to have been a big day selection wise for Labour, apart from the obvious, Murphy and Keir Starmer Merthyr Tydfil & Rhymney made their selection, a Gerald Jones won, Deputy Leader of Caerphilly Council by all accounts. UKIP it seems are opening their first Welsh office in Merthyr, fancying their chances with a de-industrialised working class.

I live in one of neighbouring valley constituencies, and I know the area well, especially lately, with the new job, Merthyr is having millions spent on it, new road infrastructure, schools, a brand spanking new college, the existing hospital is due to have a face lift, a new health centre opened recently that wouldn't look out of place in a Novotel website, I hope Mr Jones hammers home where the funding for such projects has come from? Namely the EU through Objective One Funding, and the Welsh Government, both of which those opportunistic bastards, UKIP want to get shot off.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Just had a pre Xmas get together meal for those family we're not going to see beforehand. Politics came up, shocked to hear the "I'm voting Conservative because I want them to carry on with the recovery". A few calm questions, facts provided and recommended reading lists later and there was no budging.
There was no dismissing of the facts regarding the debt, AAA rating etc yet 'Miliband is unelectable ' continued. SMH.

The only silver lining was Mrs D afterwards saying to me later (unprompted) how she couldn't believe what she was hearing. For someone who had no interested in politics a few years ago I'll take that as a small victory :wink:
There's an oddball in every family, StephenDolan, sounds like you dined with yours. Was it just the one family member or was there an entire set? I hope I cause no offence with my familiarity regarding your family get together. I've read your work so long it's like I know you - however, I realise words alone are limited. Sometimes. A really good writer can manage it.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

when is counting not counting? when you're counting tweets.

Example in Topsy:

Number of "new results" clocked up in hour between 20.00 and 21.00 = 3101
Number of tweets in "past hour" at 21.00 = 6950

Anyway, whatever method you use, there have been many topics with lower tweet rates than TMG in last 10 in last 3 hours. TMG made it only 27 mins from 18.18 to 18.45 when it was #8.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Been out all day not sure if this has been posted ?
Tories accused of ‘trying to buy election’ with 23% hike to campaign spending

Huge increase quietly slipped through despite Electoral Commission objections over ‘undue influence’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Been having a discussion with an SNPer. She can't really understand politics except in terms of Scotland deciding something. On rail franchises, Scotland seems to have used its brilliant new freedom to have the same policy as the awful Tories that England keeps foisting on them. I pointed out that even Jim Murphy supports a more progressive policy than that.

She didn't get that. Labour wanted franchises decided by the UK.

Might as well have been.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

After being out most of the day I now find out Ann Clwyd has been reselected for the Cynon Valley.

I have no words, I am going to bed.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Just had a pre Xmas get together meal for those family we're not going to see beforehand. Politics came up, shocked to hear the "I'm voting Conservative because I want them to carry on with the recovery". A few calm questions, facts provided and recommended reading lists later and there was no budging.

There's an oddball in every family, StephenDolan, sounds like you dined with yours. Was it just the one family member or was there an entire set? I hope I cause no offence with my familiarity regarding your family get together. I've read your work so long it's like I know you - however, I realise words alone are limited. Sometimes. A really good writer can manage it.
Of course there's no offence taken CJA! I often have heated discussions with another family member on politics but we kind of revert to agreeing to disagree (with the odd gentle ribbing) and compartmentalisation otherwise there'd be barneys all the time :lol: Today was with someone I've never talked politics before, probably be the last!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:These #ToriesMustGo ... #CameronMustGo hashtags really are mines of information and education. Look what I just spotted.
Deportation of US music legend “in public interest” claims Home Office
http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2014/12/1 ... me-office/
More of Teresa May's new immigration rules madness on display.
And I probably know the reason why this is flagged up as a problem for current government.

His income is income, he earns it, it's not a big fortune lolling around inside some global account acquired in the old-fashioned Tory way - inheritance and/or exploited out of others. He's lived in the UK for six years. He's sixty-eight years old, RR2.

I know no more about this case than what's in the article you've linked to me. My partner & I are beside ourselves.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Of course there's no offence taken CJA! I often have heated discussions with another family member on politics but we kind of revert to agreeing to disagree (with the odd gentle ribbing) and compartmentalisation otherwise there'd be barneys all the time :lol: Today was with someone I've never talked politics before, probably be the last!
Good, good...please give my love to Mrs D.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:These #ToriesMustGo ... #CameronMustGo hashtags really are mines of information and education. Look what I just spotted.
Deportation of US music legend “in public interest” claims Home Office
http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2014/12/1 ... me-office/
And I probably know the reason why this is flagged up as a problem for current government.

His income is income, he earns it, it's not a big fortune lolling around inside some global account acquired in the old-fashioned Tory way - inheritance and/or exploited out of others. He's lived in the UK for six years. He's sixty-eight years old, RR2.

I know no more about this case than what's in the article you've linked to me. My partner & I are beside ourselves.
I read the article too and I really can't see what the problem is for the Home Office - he's earning well - and will probably continue to be able to do so. Just seems bonkers to me. To say it's in the 'public interest' to deport him is beyond belief - how, why?
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Been out all day not sure if this has been posted ?

Huge increase quietly slipped through despite Electoral Commission objections over ‘undue influence’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm going to have a read now - the Tories spent more than double what Labour spent on the 2010 election & they still couldn't get a majority government. Nonetheless, money purchases some kinds of influence. I don't think it's appropriate for money to be used in democratic political contests. I've not written that well, I hope you all know what I mean.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Former head of failing school arrested over £40,000 expenses claims – including wine club subscription and Virgin TV package
http://schoolsimprovement.net/former-he ... tv-package" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

I read the article too and I really can't see what the problem is for the Home Office - he's earning well - and will probably continue to be able to do so. Just seems bonkers to me. To say it's in the 'public interest' to deport him is beyond belief - how, why?
Look what's important to the Home Office, here's just one path. It's merciless.
To be able to extend your permission to stay, you must:

- currently have permission to stay as a retired person of independent means
- have a minimum disposable income of £25,000 a year under your control in the UK
- be willing and able to maintain yourself and any dependants indefinitely in the UK entirely from your own resources and without working or any help from public funds
- demonstrate a close connection with the UK
- not have already spent 5 years in the UK in this category

You must not be employed in any capacity or take an active interest in the running of any business in the UK or any other country. You can do a limited amount of voluntary charity work if it is unpaid and part-time.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dent-means" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Former head of failing school arrested over £40,000 expenses claims – including wine club subscription and Virgin TV package
http://schoolsimprovement.net/former-he ... tv-package" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woo-hoo - will the scandals ever end - can we persuade the Home Office to ship this person off to Los Angeles instead of the musician teaching in Glasgow? Forgive me my flippancy; I mean to deprive no one of their rights. I'm indulging my imagination.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Farage's golden boy's rant at 'pooftahs', Chigwell Peasants' and 'Chinky bird': Astonishing leaked phone calls expose outbursts of Ukip man sent in to replace Neil Hamilton

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ilton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Farage's golden boy's rant at 'pooftahs', Chigwell Peasants' and 'Chinky bird': Astonishing leaked phone calls expose outbursts of Ukip man sent in to replace Neil Hamilton

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ilton.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't think it could get any worse, more extreme, flagrant, farcical, downright ludicrous ... but it seems it has. Reading that article was like being in a cross between a seriously disturbed adult episode of a Billy Bunter story ... and some sort of grisly nightmare where all the Ukip candidates and spokespeople have been given a dose of pentothal, and can't help but say exactly what they were thinking - no veneer of respectability possible - everything out there in the open. Horrible.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:Former head of failing school arrested over £40,000 expenses claims – including wine club subscription and Virgin TV package
So failed school and arrest over £40k of expenses? Academisation working. From Satisfactory before conversion.

Where's Fraser?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Another education story which is a bit of a consequence of one already out there about alleged exam fixing.

Statement regarding Mrs Patricia Sowter

http://www.floreat.org.uk/blog/floreat- ... ia-sowter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Patricia Sowter has decided to stand down from the Board of Floreat Education while she is subject to allegations that will be independently investigated in respect of Cuckoo Hall Academies Trust (CHAT). Mrs Sowter has stated that she is innocent of those allegations made against her and looks forward to her name being cleared.

“The Board of Floreat has reluctantly agreed to Mrs Sowter’s request and agreed with her that the ‘strategic adviser’ relationship between CHAT and Floreat should be suspended pending the conclusion of the investigation.”
Floreat is the one run by one James O’Shaughnessy...
James was Director of Policy and Research for Prime Minister David Cameron between 2007 and 2011, latterly in No.10 Downing Street. Prior to that he was deputy director at the leading think tank Policy Exchange, where he published and edited several reports on school reform. James holds an MA (Oxon) in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from the University of Oxford.
He holds what?
MA (Oxon) in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from the University of Oxford.
i.e. the swindle where he stumped up the cash after so many years and turned his BA into an MA. Isn't that grade inflation?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:After being out most of the day I now find out Ann Clwyd has been reselected for the Cynon Valley.

I have no words, I am going to bed.
Jeez. Though it is hard to get rid of people the anti-Labour media love. Probably better running for election than media free ranging "they're killing our people in their hospitals".
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Another education story which is a bit of a consequence of one already out there about alleged exam fixing.

Statement regarding Mrs Patricia Sowter

http://www.floreat.org.uk/blog/floreat- ... ia-sowter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Patricia Sowter has decided to stand down from the Board of Floreat Education while she is subject to allegations that will be independently investigated in respect of Cuckoo Hall Academies Trust (CHAT). Mrs Sowter has stated that she is innocent of those allegations made against her and looks forward to her name being cleared.

“The Board of Floreat has reluctantly agreed to Mrs Sowter’s request and agreed with her that the ‘strategic adviser’ relationship between CHAT and Floreat should be suspended pending the conclusion of the investigation.”
Floreat is the one run by one James O’Shaughnessy...
James was Director of Policy and Research for Prime Minister David Cameron between 2007 and 2011, latterly in No.10 Downing Street. Prior to that he was deputy director at the leading think tank Policy Exchange, where he published and edited several reports on school reform. James holds an MA (Oxon) in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from the University of Oxford.
He holds what?
MA (Oxon) in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from the University of Oxford.
i.e. the swindle where he stumped up the cash after so many years and turned his BA into an MA. Isn't that grade inflation?
Ah that's why this trust were lauded. Shame about coming last in SATS in Enfield too.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

More on Floreat...look who else is there...on the board
Sam Freedman

Sam is the Director of Research, Evaluation and Impact at Teach First. He was formerly the Senior Policy Adviser to the Secretary of State for Education.
and as an adviser
Annaliese Briggs – Curriculum Manager

Annaliese is developing a knowledge and character-rich curriculum with the Floreat team for use in their primary schools.

A trained primary school teacher with a specialism in the early years, Annaliese’s background is in curriculum development. This began at the educational charity Civitas, where she set up the Core Knowledge Project to adapt a successful knowledge-led curriculum in the United States for use in England’s primary schools. As part of this, she spent time in a number of New York elementary schools studying its implementation and impact. Annaliese has also worked for a small family of academies, where she set up a new free school that opened in 2013.
Somewhat mysteriously, it fails to mention that she quit within 6 weeks of the school's opening because she couldn't hack it.

It'd be interesting to see how far Policy Exchange and Civitas extend in running schools - quite far I'd say.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Deary me...the Mail on Sunday leads with the shocking story...about the BBC Book at Bedtime serializing Hilary Mantel's Assassination of Thatcher book which has provoked fury (as per).

So who's furious?

Tebbit.
Lord Bell
Conor Burns

Love this though...regular readers might well quibble...
Even readers of the Left-wing Guardian newspaper, which did publish the story, found it distasteful.
Yeah, so left wing they've been cheerleading for the LibDem part of the Coalition for the past 4 years...

I assume they've got those quotes from BTL...where anyone can sign up. But hey, they're Guardian readers.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

VIP paedophile networks 'shut down police investigations which got too close', retired officers claim
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vi ... wn-4807293
tom_watson ‏@tom_watson 26m26 minutes ago
If anything, the @ExaroNews revelation on Mirror web site it the most remarkable so far: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vi ... wn-4807293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … Cops talking about cover up.
I agree.

No wonder May's enquiry seems to be going nowhere.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Murphy's past (especially the well sourced rumours he was briefing the likes of DFH againast Ed) was a problem for him in this campaign, and one of the main reasons some were hesitant about backing him. But he has run for Scottish leader on a notably "traditionalist" social democratic pitch (he used the word "equality" more than once - that one used to have Blair reaching for the crucifix and garlic) and he is also promising to be an inclusive leader; it will be interesting to see what role he gives Findlay, whose campaign did him no harm at all.

Fingers crossed :)
He's a Blairite. I hope to god that Scottish Labour have chosen wisely. Lady C's (thanks, Lady C!) stats indicate to me that the left and the unions have been saddled with yet more fucking Blairites at the top end. I do now seriously expect Scotland to be a major cause of lost seats. Let's hope that England (and Wales and NI) can provide...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... g#show-all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Below the line is what I'd expect from criminals caught in the act. Blaming the Opposition for not preventing a law not tabled in the House. Get rid of this government. It's so vile.

The change to the law on candidates’ election spending, passed without parliamentary debate, was made despite a direct warning by the commission against such “excessive spending to prevent the perception of undue influence over the outcome of the election”.
Goodnight, everyone.

xx
JA
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

citizenJA wrote:

Mine's full of fucking Tories or kippers. I don't stop loving them as family, but by god I question both their intellect and their sanity.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just a reminder that there is another debate and vote (Nuttall,Mogg filibustering not withstanding)on the bedroom tax next Wednesday afternoon.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Murphy's past (especially the well sourced rumours he was briefing the likes of DFH againast Ed) was a problem for him in this campaign, and one of the main reasons some were hesitant about backing him. But he has run for Scottish leader on a notably "traditionalist" social democratic pitch (he used the word "equality" more than once - that one used to have Blair reaching for the crucifix and garlic) and he is also promising to be an inclusive leader; it will be interesting to see what role he gives Findlay, whose campaign did him no harm at all.

He's a Blairite. I hope to god that Scottish Labour have chosen wisely. Lady C's (thanks, Lady C!) stats indicate to me that the left and the unions have been saddled with yet more fucking Blairites at the top end. I do now seriously expect Scotland to be a major cause of lost seats. Let's hope that England (and Wales and NI) can provide...
Most people won't care about his Blairite past if he delivers the goods now. Here's hoping.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

Most people won't care about his Blairite past if he delivers the goods now. Here's hoping.
I think this will be fascinating. Murphy will have to rapidly move to the centre ground of Scottish politics, which is far to the left of his default position.

He will have to sell a simple message and I guess you start from a view that The SNP are only interested in Independence and they don't care how badly they hurt the people of Scotland as long as they get it.

Selling the line you can't trust them to fight the Tories would be ideal, but it needs to go hand in hand with stuff about oil prices and the neo liberal hell Salmond would have created.

Finally find some stupid SNP policies and hammer them. The State Guardian stuff is a disgrace as is their attitude to corporation tax (which they now can't execute).

It is going to be nasty - Murphy may just have found his niche.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lucy Powell on the Tories ignoring the Electoral Commission recommendations

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... propaganda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:Lucy Powell on the Tories ignoring the Electoral Commission recommendations

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... propaganda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is an excellent piece, fills me with hope regarding her influence on how "the message" in speeches uses tight, laser focused language.
It might be time for me to be paying £3.80 a month.

Morning all btw.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Morning all.

I find myself in the odd position of recommending an Observer article to you. I still loathe the rag, and will go back to avoiding it like the plague forthwith; but this piece, by the incomparable Lauren Laverne on the proposed changes to the renal dialysis service, is what the GMG used to be good at, what it stood for.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... en-laverne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

William Keegan often writes good column pieces in the business section and he has a pretty good one today

The deficit isn't the real problem. The crisis is in productivity.

Although he lets Alexander and the lib dems generally off by focussing on them whining now about the policies they've been securing and executing for the last four and a half years.
I still believe in a town called Hope
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Dodgy question aside (yes, the poor just need to learn how to feed themselves...) this isn't the best polling figures for Cameron v Miliband. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Good morning, all.

There is an Observer editorial on poverty which is actually OK but for one glaring error - it states that sanctions last 13 weeks.
No, it's up to 156 weeks.

The splendid David Hencke has a very good blogpost on unemployment figures and how they are distorted.
The government does NOT count people on Universal Credit as jobseekers and/or unemployed in DWP figures.

Example - in Oldham West, there are 1,240 people now on UC, and the number of JSA claimants has fallen by 51%.
Obviously, this does not mean that unemployment in Oldham West has halved, it just means that fewer people are on JSA.
They're on UC instead.

So whenever some bloody Tory drones on at PMQs about percentage falls in unemployment, the chances are that this is what they mean.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Conservatives and Labour tied on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / Sunday Times results 12th December -

Con 32%, (-1)
Lab 32%, (-1)
LD 7%, (+1)
UKIP 16%; (+1)
Grn 7%; (nc)

APP -24 (nc)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

IDS with Neil on Sunday Politics at 11.00

This could be fun.....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Toby Perkins MP retweeted
steve hawkes ‏@steve_hawkes 51m51 minutes ago
Vince Cable dodges question on whether Libs would sit in a new Coalition with Tories post May 2015... #marr

Toby Perkins MP ‏@tobyperkinsmp 23m23 minutes ago
Guess truth is Cable would rather not be in govt with Tories but knows Clegg would in 2015. #marr
I'm sure Clegg is hoping for another coalition with the Tories. And there may not even be the will to chuck Clegg out as leader post election ... the Lib Dems seem to have completely lost any moral and strategic compass and energy to sort themselves out. A listing ship with a captain having drinks on the bridge ....

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: He's a Blairite. I hope to god that Scottish Labour have chosen wisely. Lady C's (thanks, Lady C!) stats indicate to me that the left and the unions have been saddled with yet more fucking Blairites at the top end. I do now seriously expect Scotland to be a major cause of lost seats. Let's hope that England (and Wales and NI) can provide...
I think this will be fascinating. Murphy will have to rapidly move to the centre ground of Scottish politics, which is far to the left of his default position.

He will have to sell a simple message and I guess you start from a view that The SNP are only interested in Independence and they don't care how badly they hurt the people of Scotland as long as they get it.

Selling the line you can't trust them to fight the Tories would be ideal, but it needs to go hand in hand with stuff about oil prices and the neo liberal hell Salmond would have created.

Finally find some stupid SNP policies and hammer them. The State Guardian stuff is a disgrace as is their attitude to corporation tax (which they now can't execute).

It is going to be nasty - Murphy may just have found his niche.
Anybody who heard Murphy's acceptance speech yesterday without knowing anything about the man, would surely have concluded he was on the EM-ish soft left of the party if not further left. It has also been claimed, reasonably, that most of JM's "objectionable" opinions are on foreign policy - much less important in his new post - and his domestic policy positions were always more "mainstream" Labour.

Amusing btw to see some CyberNats so contorted by hate that they scream at him he is a "draft dodger" - from SA's apartheid army, that is :toss:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dear Liberal Democrat MPs: Judicial Review restrictions are a messy compromise too far.
http://www.libdemvoice.org/dear-liberal ... 43750.html
Caron is asking the Lib Dem MPs not to vote with the government when the restrictions on Judicial Review bill comes back to the Commons this week. They will though. This could be a last stand moment for many of them with threatened seats - but I doubt any of them will take the opportunity to do the right thing - apart from Teather who has already cooked her goose anyway.

I fully expect to see the Lib Dem MPs vote with the government on judicial review restrictions - and to keep the bedroom tax, which Caron Lindsay also says was a mistake in this article. What a fine bunch they are.