Weekend Edition - Saturday 13th. and Sunday 14th December

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Weekend Edition - Saturday 13th. and Sunday 14th Decembe

Post by citizenJA »

Do we have a plan to find our friends if all social media, including our Internet connections, all go gone some dark day?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 3h 3 hours ago
However upbeat the Nats might appear they don’t seem ready to bet http://bit.ly/1xhx3Cq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 3h 3 hours ago
The SNP is betting favourite to win in just 4 of the 41 LAB-held Scottish seats. See chart http://bit.ly/1xhx3Cq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HeatedBenchesInCanaryWharf.jpg
HeatedBenchesInCanaryWharf.jpg (69.74 KiB) Viewed 16707 times
Can't have the fat cat bankers getting cold arses and chibleys, eh.

They've probably got some kind of inbuilt spyware that turns on a sprinkler system if a poor or homeless person sits on them for too long.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Amazon 1p glitch: Software error sees hundreds of items sold for fractions of their value
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 23730.html
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

deleted post due to formatting errors.

xx
JA
Last edited by citizenJA on Sun 14 Dec, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"DWP urged to publish inquiries on benefit claimant suicides"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:Sorry, I had a tag missing, or an extraneous one. Too tired to try and fix it so post deleted
No worries - let it be - the thread fixes the mistakes.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

RobertSnozers wrote:Sorry, I had a tag missing, or an extraneous one. Too tired to try and fix it so post deleted
Which is a shame, as it was a damned good post & I'd just come back to respond to it (Strictly took precedence I'm afraid). But I think we both agree that the "vibrant democracy" claims were a load of nonsense.

CitizenJA, I'm not precious about my comments. Let us say we co-authored it! ;)
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Which is a shame, as it was a damned good post & I'd just come back to respond to it (Strictly took precedence I'm afraid). But I think we both agree that the "vibrant democracy" claims were a load of nonsense.

CitizenJA, I'm not precious about my comments. Let us say we co-authored it! ;)
I'm honoured to do so.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Spacedone wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Amazing the simple things that can touch the emotions in an instant ...

Listened to a Radio 4 programme earlier about a community food shop / enterprise up North in Goldthorpe. Amazing scheme which stocks all kinds of produce - fresh veg, fruit and meat included which is either surplus to supermarket requirements or doesn't quite make it on the specs - and sells to 'members' for 70% less than the normal retail price. Members need to be in receipt of some kind of low income related benefit.

Well - the organiser told a story of one old bloke who came in for the first time. Went round and did his modest shopping. When he got to the till he said to the assistant that he only had £20 to last the week for his shopping so if it came to more than that he would have to take something back. She rang it up for him and it came to just over £12. He asked her to wait a minute - hopped off and came back with a dog treat which he added to his basket. He said it was the first time in 16 years he'd been able to buy a dog treat.

That was me done for ... blubbing in an instant.

Anyway - I hope these shops are set up far and wide. They sound like a damn good scheme. They also have a cafe and cooking demos which both use up any close to use by date food the shop has.
The Community Shop is an offshoot of the Company Shop.

http://www.companyshop.ltd.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Company Shop itself is a little difficult for anyone without a car to get to but it's a regular shopping trip for a lot of my work colleagues as they offer loads of items from all the big shops that are nearing their use-by-date as well as sundry items that are surplus stock etc and they sell them for a massive discount. The stock varies so you never really know what's going to be in but I've known colleagues to pick up £30-£40 worth of meat for less than £10 which they stick in a chest freezer and keeps them going for months.

I hadn't actually heard about the Community Shop but it's great to see that they've opened up a place to serve what is a fairly poor area.
I just went looking online because I remember reading about a couple of food-coops/community shops in London – one in North London and one in Deptford or that area. But I found that The Company Shop are recruiting staff for a soon-to-open brand in West Norwood and they are looking for an Area Manager for London, so perhaps they are slowly expanding. I will keep an eye on their progress – and hope they open one near me! (Mistress of what time shops reduce prices!)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James O'Brien @mrjamesob · 3h 3 hours ago
Taken a couple of Panadol so if you're coming to @NoPressureFunny this evening, I apologise in advance for any attacks on foreigners & gays.

James O'Brien @mrjamesob · 3h 3 hours ago
How many painkillers do you have to take before you turn into a racist homophobe? And can you buy them anywhere or only direct from Ukip?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Amazing the simple things that can touch the emotions in an instant ...

Listened to a Radio 4 programme earlier about a community food shop / enterprise up North in Goldthorpe. Amazing scheme which stocks all kinds of produce - fresh veg, fruit and meat included which is either surplus to supermarket requirements or doesn't quite make it on the specs - and sells to 'members' for 70% less than the normal retail price. Members need to be in receipt of some kind of low income related benefit.

Well - the organiser told a story of one old bloke who came in for the first time. Went round and did his modest shopping. When he got to the till he said to the assistant that he only had £20 to last the week for his shopping so if it came to more than that he would have to take something back. She rang it up for him and it came to just over £12. He asked her to wait a minute - hopped off and came back with a dog treat which he added to his basket. He said it was the first time in 16 years he'd been able to buy a dog treat.

Anyway - I hope these shops are set up far and wide. They sound like a damn good scheme. They also have a cafe and cooking demos which both use up any close to use by date food the shop has.

The Company Shop itself is a little difficult for anyone without a car to get to but it's a regular shopping trip for a lot of my work colleagues as they offer loads of items from all the big shops that are nearing their use-by-date as well as sundry items that are surplus stock etc and they sell them for a massive discount. The stock varies so you never really know what's going to be in but I've known colleagues to pick up £30-£40 worth of meat for less than £10 which they stick in a chest freezer and keeps them going for months.

I hadn't actually heard about the Community Shop but it's great to see that they've opened up a place to serve what is a fairly poor area.
I just went looking online because I remember reading about a couple of food-coops/community shops in London – one in North London and one in Deptford or that area. But I found that The Company Shop are recruiting staff for a soon-to-open brand in West Norwood and they are looking for an Area Manager for London, so perhaps they are slowly expanding. I will keep an eye on their progress – and hope they open one near me! (Mistress of what time shops reduce prices!)
The Community Shop spokesperson said they had a plan to open 150 branches across the country ... sounds good eh. The only downside for deprived rural areas, and maybe some other areas too, is that they rely on being close enough to the distribution centres for the main supermarkets - otherwise the model they operate isn't feasible. That means we're unlikely to get anything in west Wales - even though it ranks pretty highly on the deprivation index.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:Do we have a plan to find our friends if all social media, including our Internet connections, all go gone some dark day?
Yes, I am going to go and ride my horse and worry about the non digital world for a while.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Spacedone wrote:

Any indication of the potential site in West Norwood? I was living there until last year, so always interested in the happenings there; such an odd area, real poverty yet can still support the likes of Beamish & McGlue (which I really miss) and the Cul De Sac Cafe (about which I am indifferent).
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Do we have a plan to find our friends if all social media, including our Internet connections, all go gone some dark day?
Yes, I am going to go and ride my horse and worry about the non digital world for a while.
oh, ha ha ha!

I really am laughing - more seriously - the inspiration for my comment was thinking about the interference of Twitter posts - I'd be delighted to be wrong.

I rely upon the Internet daily, most often, for communications in work, news, family & friends. I'm not happy I don't know the first names of many neighbours I've lived with for over two years. That's partly my fault, of course. I'll tack off due West to find my way to Ephemerid & everyone else I love in Wales. Wales is a magnificent place.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

EDF stands to rake in £3.3bn windfall from existing power plants
Controversial government plan involves consumers footing bill to guarantee nuclear, coal and gas plants will help plug future energy shortages

The Guardian, Sunday 14 December 2014

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... wer-plants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Been in work all day, only now catching up.

The SNP economic credibility:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... ister.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: :lol: :lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

... And I am not Murphy's No1 fan, but if he winds a few up then so be it, in fairness to him he put his head on the block during the referendum, and are the Scots as socially progressive as some like to make out, I very much doubt it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Been in work all day, only now catching up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... ister.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At this rate, North Sea Oil is going to be a Keynsian Job Creation scheme needing government support, not an easy earner for Scotland.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Some good comment from very smart bloke on another board.
As we've discussed before Alex Salmond didn't build the SNP's base up in Labour heartlands in the late 90s. Its unlikely these Nat voters will turn back to the Lib/Tories if they're not convinced by Sturgeon's use of oil to finance the SNP's Nordic social democracy instead of income tax which they have had right to raise on their egalitarian nationalist voters but never have done. Even if they can't stand Murphy on a political or personal level, Scottish Labour probably voted for him as the pragmatic choice that can woo the non Lib/Tory centre. Not sure how this translates in the Labour heartlands though.
Probably a few "heartlands" policies in the mix.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Some good comment from very smart bloke on another board.
As we've discussed before Alex Salmond didn't build the SNP's base up in Labour heartlands in the late 90s. Its unlikely these Nat voters will turn back to the Lib/Tories if they're not convinced by Sturgeon's use of oil to finance the SNP's Nordic social democracy instead of income tax which they have had right to raise on their egalitarian nationalist voters but never have done. Even if they can't stand Murphy on a political or personal level, Scottish Labour probably voted for him as the pragmatic choice that can woo the non Lib/Tory centre. Not sure how this translates in the Labour heartlands though.
Probably a few "heartlands" policies in the mix.
Let's not forget that the SNP majority can be counted on the thumbs of one hand. I don't think Jim Murphy should have much trouble in at least reducing them to a minority government (again).

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... 1411500273

(Tried to post this earlier this morning in response to another comment but the site 'could not be displayed' and I had to go out).
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Wow, that's one excitement out of the way, some bloke called Ben won Shite Factor, switch over to SPOTY now, far too much excitement for one night! :roll:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Joe Hockey: terms of trade lowest since records began in 1959
Treasurer says commodity prices have fallen dramatically and budget should be used as ‘shock absorber’

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... an-in-1959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apologies for posting so much below; I'm seeing a global pattern here & it's not encouraging at all.
Australia is in the grip of the biggest fall in the terms of trade since records began in 1959 because of a drastic fall in commodity prices, the treasurer, Joe Hockey, has warned.

Hockey, who will hand down the mid-year economic and financial outlook (Myefo) on Monday, said the budget should be used as a “shock absorber” to cushion the impact of much lower-than-anticipated prices.

“We have had the biggest fall in the terms of trade in more than half a century, but … we’re coping well because we strengthen the budget, because we put in place reforms that have helped to make us a more prosperous nation,” Hockey told reporters in Sydney on Sunday.

The biggest “external headwind” in the economy is the 30% fall in iron ore prices from expectations in the May budget, Hockey said. The price of thermal coal has dropped 15% and wheat has fallen 20%.

Labor says Hockey must accept responsibility for the figures.

“The collapse in consumer confidence, the growing unemployment queues, the fall in employment growth have all occurred since Joe Hockey’s budget. This has occurred not only on his watch, but after his budget,” the shadow treasurer, Chris Bowen, said, adding that the “full catastrophe” would be revealed in Myefo on Monday.

“It is important that we allow the budget to continue to be a shock absorber, and I say to the Labor party, the Greens and the independents, if you want to see the Australian economy cope better with the challenges that are beyond our control, work with us to strengthen the Australian budget.
Apparently, the budget Hockey wants everyone to swallow is austere - for regular people anyway - he keeps repeating 'budget to be a shock absorber, budget to be a shock absorber....'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

How is the new work letsskip? Hope it is all going OK - have been thinking of you even though I haven't asked before.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Kerry Hughes stands down as UKIPs PPC for South Basildon, come back Neil, all is forgiven, eh?!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
oh, ha ha ha!

I really am laughing - more seriously - the inspiration for my comment was thinking about the interference of Twitter posts - I'd be delighted to be wrong.

I rely upon the Internet daily, most often, for communications in work, news, family & friends. I'm not happy I don't know the first names of many neighbours I've lived with for over two years. That's partly my fault, of course. I'll tack off due West to find my way to Ephemerid & everyone else I love in Wales. Wales is a magnificent place.
The Internet is reasonably robust, although not immune to disturbances.

http://www.bgpmon.net/what-caused-today ... et-hiccup/

(That one was caused by an internet operator screwing up their address summarisation and hitting a memory limitation in older routers).

However most things will come back in a couple of days or maybe a week. Most sites are hosted in data centres who back things up and they often have large numbers of servers, some of which will fail but that is the plan. Virtualisation (running many virtual machines on a physical machine) makes all this much more robust with live migration techniques to rapidly move a virtual machine to a different physical machine (possibly in a different building) on failure of the hardware.

Needless to say Amazon, Google, FacePlant, Apple, Microsoft do this at a vast vast scale.

So if it goes away it will come back eventually, and if not hang around virtual street corners in the Guardian and see who else turns up.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kerry Smith quits as UKIP candidate NEW
Kerry Smith resigns as a UKIP parliamentary candidate after apologising for offensive remarks he made in a phone call.
Well I never. They are going down like tenpins.

Carswell must be sweating more than he ever has before ... it's not looking that good for the Ukip surge when they seem to be hellbent on proving the fruitcakes and racists labellers right.

Imagine if Farage were to fail to be elected as an MP again .... would he go, would it be the final curtain for him?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Kerry Hughes stands down as UKIPs PPC for South Basildon, come back Neil, all is forgiven, eh?!
Snap letsskip!

Throughout today I've had a sneaky little suspicion that whoever leaked that tape to the Mail ... might have wanted to help Hamilton. But can't see him coming back now ... it's all far too messy and sleasy.

They just don't seem to be able to keep their candidates under control do they ... all a bit off the cuff ... rather like Farage and their manifesto / policies.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:

How is the new work letsskip? Hope it is all going OK - have been thinking of you even though I haven't asked before.
It's going well thanks Rebecca, 12 1/2 hour shifts are a killer though, 3 of them is ample, cant do any more, hounds are ok though, helps my brother lives next door, his G/F helps out when I am in work, but yes, it's going ok, nights tomorrow.. :o
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:Joe Hockey: terms of trade lowest since records began in 1959
Treasurer says commodity prices have fallen dramatically and budget should be used as ‘shock absorber’

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... an-in-1959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apologies for posting so much below; I'm seeing a global pattern here & it's not encouraging at all.
Australia is in the grip of the biggest fall in the terms of trade since records began in 1959 because of a drastic fall in commodity prices, the treasurer, Joe Hockey, has warned.

Hockey, who will hand down the mid-year economic and financial outlook (Myefo) on Monday, said the budget should be used as a “shock absorber” to cushion the impact of much lower-than-anticipated prices.

“We have had the biggest fall in the terms of trade in more than half a century, but … we’re coping well because we strengthen the budget, because we put in place reforms that have helped to make us a more prosperous nation,” Hockey told reporters in Sydney on Sunday.

The biggest “external headwind” in the economy is the 30% fall in iron ore prices from expectations in the May budget, Hockey said. The price of thermal coal has dropped 15% and wheat has fallen 20%.

“The collapse in consumer confidence, the growing unemployment queues, the fall in employment growth have all occurred since Joe Hockey’s budget. This has occurred not only on his watch, but after his budget,” the shadow treasurer, Chris Bowen, said, adding that the “full catastrophe” would be revealed in Myefo on Monday.

“It is important that we allow the budget to continue to be a shock absorber, and I say to the Labor party, the Greens and the independents, if you want to see the Australian economy cope better with the challenges that are beyond our control, work with us to strengthen the Australian budget.
Apparently, the budget Hockey wants everyone to swallow is austere - for regular people anyway - he keeps repeating 'budget to be a shock absorber, budget to be a shock absorber....'
If YeSNP had won Salmond would right now be telling some very unpleasant truths to Scotland.

In fact the size of the budget hole would probably have produced a level of austerity that even Osborne would run away from.

I wonder if about now demonstrations demanding the whole thing got canned would be starting.

Globally the collapse in commodity prices is a huge red flag. It suggests the next phase of the crash may be rolling in.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

“We have had the biggest fall in the terms of trade in more than half a century, but … we’re coping well because we strengthen the budget, because we put in place reforms that have helped to make us a more prosperous nation,” Hockey told reporters in Sydney on Sunday.Globally the collapse in commodity prices is a huge red flag. It suggests the next phase of the crash may be rolling in.

If YeSNP had won Salmond would right now be telling some very unpleasant truths to Scotland.

In fact the size of the budget hole would probably have produced a level of austerity that even Osborne would run away from.Globally the collapse in commodity prices is a huge red flag. It suggests the next phase of the crash may be rolling in.

I wonder if about now demonstrations demanding the whole thing got canned would be starting.

Globally the collapse in commodity prices is a huge red flag. It suggests the next phase of the crash may be rolling in.
(my bold)

Yep.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Kerry Smith quits as UKIP candidate NEW
Kerry Smith resigns as a UKIP parliamentary candidate after apologising for offensive remarks he made in a phone call.
Well I never. They are going down like tenpins.

Carswell must be sweating more than he ever has before ... it's not looking that good for the Ukip surge when they seem to be hellbent on proving the fruitcakes and racists labellers right.

Imagine if Farage were to fail to be elected as an MP again .... would he go, would it be the final curtain for him?
Young Master Smith was the one who was grossly homophobic, disgustingly racist and wanted to shoot the peasants, but only because he was on pain medication, so that was alright then, eh? Nice to see that he got a good BTL shooing at the Guardian, with very little evidence of the lesser spotted UKIP troll rushing in to defend him.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight everyone
sleep well
I love you
xx
JA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Newham Council officers quit in Collegiate Sixth Form blunder
http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/po ... _1_3880675
I don't quite understand what has happened here. Can anyone - Tubby, Roger - enlighten me?

It seems pretty extraordinary when Newham Council are talking about possibly applying to convert this establishment into a free school as a way out of their troubles ... (not so extraordinary for Robin Wales though).
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

In fact the size of the budget hole would probably have produced a level of austerity that even Osborne would run away from.

It'll also be a bit of wake up for Owen Jones, George Galloway and other fairly uncritical Venezuela fans. Not to say there haven't been significant achievements on health and education, but they might miss some of that production they lost under Chavez.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I don't quite understand what has happened here. Can anyone - Tubby, Roger - enlighten me?

It seems pretty extraordinary when Newham Council are talking about possibly applying to convert this establishment into a free school as a way out of their troubles ... (not so extraordinary for Robin Wales though).
A few Labour boroughs have supported free schools because only way allowed to provide school places. This is a bit different, but probably even for Wales, it's a pragmatic idea.

I'd be surprised if all this were down to officers. Wonder how much paid to leave?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
Spacedone wrote: The Community Shop is an offshoot of the Company Shop.

Any indication of the potential site in West Norwood? I was living there until last year, so always interested in the happenings there; such an odd area, real poverty yet can still support the likes of Beamish & McGlue (which I really miss) and the Cul De Sac Cafe (about which I am indifferent).
http://community-shop.co.uk/

There is a tweet (from 8hrs ago) about it in their twitter feed panel (on page url given above) saying that a map of local areas covered by the West Norwood Branch will go up on the website tomorrow.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Conservative councillor in Tendring becomes sixth defector to UKIP this week
A sixth councillor has defected to UKIP this week following the defection of five Kings Lynn councillors earlier in the week.

Cllr Anthony Calbourne has defected from the Conservatives to UKIP. He has been a councillor on Tendring District Council for 12 years.
http://www.bloggers4ukip.org.uk/2014/12 ... dring.html
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
A sixth councillor has defected to UKIP this week following the defection of five Kings Lynn councillors earlier in the week.

Cllr Anthony Calbourne has defected from the Conservatives to UKIP. He has been a councillor on Tendring District Council for 12 years.
Tendring has Douglas Carswell's seat. He seems well-liked locally, so no surprise he could bring local councillors with him.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

A few Labour boroughs have supported free schools because only way allowed to provide school places. This is a bit different, but probably even for Wales, it's a pragmatic idea.

I'd be surprised if all this were down to officers. Wonder how much paid to leave?
Do you know what the actual lapses of permissions are though Tubby? I'm still not quite clear what governance errors have been made ....?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I don't know.

Looking at Roger...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Tendring has Douglas Carswell's seat. He seems well-liked locally, so no surprise he could bring local councillors with him.
They're jumping like fleas in that area ... Maybe the council should just declare a transfer week so anymore of them with an urge to leap gets on with it.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Apologies for posting so much below; I'm seeing a global pattern here & it's not encouraging at all.Apparently, the budget Hockey wants everyone to swallow is austere - for regular people anyway - he keeps repeating 'budget to be a shock absorber, budget to be a shock absorber....'

It'll also be a bit of wake up for Owen Jones, George Galloway and other fairly uncritical Venezuela fans. Not to say there haven't been significant achievements on health and education, but they might miss some of that production they lost under Chavez.
Abbott has just said that the Myefo statement (Mid-year economic and financial outlook) will go ahead as normal today (Monday in Australia) despite the serious hostage situation in Sydney. At least 30 people are being held hostage by at least one gunman at the Lindt Cafe, directly opposite Channel 7's Newsroom, in Martin Place in the financial centre of Sydney. All the buildings in the area (including the Newsroom) are being evacuated, the rail stations have all been closed.

They have evacuated everyone who is neither a patient nor a member of staff from the major hospital at the end of the road. Some hostages are pressed against the windows of the coffee shop with their hands up. Two of them were made to use their raised hands to hold up a black flag with the Shahada* written in white – the flag which is used by ISIS and similar groups. One of the gunmen is wearing a headband with writing on it. One of the hostages against the window surreptitiously signalled throat-cutting as she was being forced against the window. It is awful and there are hordes of State and Federal Police on site, along with what are described as "other Commonwealth agencies."

Unfortunately for Australians, today is a good day to bury bad news...

*The Shahada is the declaration of faith in Islam. Many contributors to BBC and Sky News channels are saying that this display of the Shahada (on a black background) is a desecration of it and of their faith; that it is being used in this way is a source of shame – a hijacking of an article of faith. It seems to me that Moslems, in general, are feeling pretty much the way (and probably worse, really) that we have felt as the Union Flag and the Cross of St. George were hijacked by NF, BNP, etc., over the past however-many-years.