Monday 15th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Monday 15th December 2014

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 1m1 minute ago
.@labourpress Why did you encourage journos to go to Gt Yarmouth for Ed's event when they're not allowed to ask questions? Seems barmy ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:Plus I see I am now Chief Whip. You don't run this f#%} forum, we do. F#%{^ Plebs.
Jeepers ... I had hoped this reshuffle would be better than all the others and prove I'm a topper judge of character contrary to what they say. Clearly the move has pandered to your worst instincts. I may have to instruct the doormen to put some tin tacks down on the pavement for you.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:And can I just add that I would like Simon Danczuk to FUCK OFF
You're obviously listening to that left wing bastion - BBC Radio 4.

But yes - wanting Danczuk to fuck off seems eminently reasonable.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

RobertSnozers wrote:Plus I see I am now Chief Whip. You don't run this f#%} forum, we do. F#%{^ Plebs.
Quick, lock him in the toilets whilst the vote's on!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Heya @CitizenJA – thank you very much for thinking my post from late last night worth re-posting :hug:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 1m1 minute ago
.@labourpress Why did you encourage journos to go to Gt Yarmouth for Ed's event when they're not allowed to ask questions? Seems barmy ...
Er, maybe to report what he said? Crazy unconventional, I know
They might even be interested in knowing what questions were asked of him by the public ... and what he said back. Even more eccentric.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The tub of lard threat to TV-shy David Cameron
‘Empty chair’ threat to break deadlock over election debates – but HIGNFY treatment might be better

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/politics/61765 ... z3LyTi7L1X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Sparrow whines :
Concentrating on questions from local people may appear laudable, but it’s a very foolish media management strategy, particularly if reporters have spent two and a half hours on a train to attend your event.

(Hacks are simple folk. Keep them happy, and they are more likely to write nice things about you. That’s the first rule of PR.)
Here's an idea Andrew. Do your bloody jobs properly without twisting everything into a lazy narrative frame and he may let you ask some questions. But in the meanwhile, is there any real point to journalists' so-called questions?

Edited to add : this media is never going to write 'nice things' about Miliband no matter what he does. And Sparrow must know this well enough. It's so infuriating. An irresponsible and unaccountable media whining at being treated as they deserve.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

mikems wrote:Sparrow whines :
Concentrating on questions from local people may appear laudable, but it’s a very foolish media management strategy, particularly if reporters have spent two and a half hours on a train to attend your event.

(Hacks are simple folk. Keep them happy, and they are more likely to write nice things about you. That’s the first rule of PR.)
Here's an idea Andrew. Do your bloody jobs properly without twisting everything into a lazy narrative frame and he may let you ask some questions. But in the meanwhile, is there any real point to journalists' so-called questions?

Edited to add : this media is never going to write 'nice things' about Miliband no matter what he does. And Sparrow must know this well enough. It's so infuriating. An irresponsible and unaccountable media whining at being treated as they deserve.
Well exactly. Absolutely certain the first question from a journo would have been about the "leak" rather than anything that actually affects real people.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
mikems wrote:Sparrow whines :

Well exactly. Absolutely certain the first question from a journo would have been about the "leak" rather than anything that actually affects real people.
He took 2 jouro's questions. Guess what the first was?
Q: Why is Labour telling campaigners, when immigration comes up on the door step, to move the conversation on to something else?
(From AS)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Community shop opens to sell surplus food from supermarkets to the poor
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 24606.html
... Britain’s first “community supermarket” opens for business today, allowing hundreds of struggling families to buy surplus food donated by shops including Marks & Spencer and Ocado at 70 per cent discount – with 20 more planned across the country.

The Community Shop, in Lambeth, south London, will sell low-cost, high-quality surplus food to residents on income support while helping them back into work.
Well - bit of sloppy reporting there - we know it's not the first - we were discussing Goldthorpe and the other company shops yesterday. But - glad to see this news. I hope there will be far more than 20 of these though. No mention of Wales ... is this just an England based initiative?
The other bit of sloppy reporting in that clip is when it says on income support. It is actually open to people on any income-related benefit, amongst which Income Support is just one, even to people in receipt of Pension Guarantee* . Income Support, itself, is only available to a very few people these days - and suggesting that the Community Shop Membership is only open to recipients of that particular benefit risks putting a lot of people off who would qualify for membership.

*I think that might be called something else but I cannot remember what...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

RobertSnozers wrote:And can I just add that I would like Simon Danczuk to FUCK OFF
Excuse my language, but this latest episode has really got up my nose - realistically he is no longer a Labour Party politician, he is acting as an independent in all but name, so why the fuck don't they just withdraw the whip from the twat and tell him to do one? Surely it would be less damaging doing that than his constant briefings against the party line which are just about making him look big?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Excuse my language, but this latest episode has really got up my nose - realistically he is no longer a Labour Party politician, he is acting as an independent in all but name, so why the fuck don't they just withdraw the whip from the twat and tell him to do one? Surely it would be less damaging doing that than his constant briefings against the party line which are just about making him look big?
What's he done now?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
I've been asking that for ages. It's not as if he's some sort of intellectual sleeping giant or big beast is it?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
What's he done now?
Rocked up on World at One (they must have him on a retainer by now) whining that Miliband's immigration speech is anti-business; strong suspicion is that he is also the one who fed the "don't talk about immigration on the doorsteps" line to his mates in the meeja. Really past time he left the Labour Party to spend more time with his deli. :wall:
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Taken from the view of a pragmatic left of centrist who wants Labour to win next year, but gets increasingly frustrated with Miliband's UKIP-squeamishness.

First the innocent Emily Thornberry, then a highly well-reasoned briefing document.

What will be the next thing Ed denounces before the cock crows?
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

frightful_oik wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
I've been asking that for ages. It's not as if he's some sort of intellectual sleeping giant or big beast is it?
All I can see about him in the news ATM is that his wife's selling smelly pictures of her boobies - did I miss something?
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Today's MS leader on Jim Murphy's election:

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-a3 ... l-to-climb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

frightful_oik wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Spot on. He is a nasty, self aggrandizing Blairite who is probably far enough to the right to fit comfortably in UKIP; aside from the admittedly good work he is doing, alongside Tom Watson, in pushing the CSA enquiry forward he seems to spend all his time undermining the work of his colleagues who don't have the luxury of a safe seat .... oh, and banging on about his wife's cake shop.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

DonutHingeParty wrote:Taken from the view of a pragmatic left of centrist who wants Labour to win next year, but gets increasingly frustrated with Miliband's UKIP-squeamishness.

First the innocent Emily Thornberry, then a highly well-reasoned briefing document.

Pardon my evident ignorance, but what did he "denounce" today exactly?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Please may we have an award for the single most ridiculous Tweet ever in the history of everything?

Ladies and Gents, I give you....... Louise Mensch.

Once again, the chick-lit ex-failed MP super-egotistic mega=twerp has Tweeted this:

"Advance Australia Fair #SydneySeige xxxx"

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
DonutHingeParty wrote:Taken from the view of a pragmatic left of centrist who wants Labour to win next year, but gets increasingly frustrated with Miliband's UKIP-squeamishness.

Pardon my evident ignorance, but what did he "denounce" today exactly?
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... n-document" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Miliband: "Not-very-well-drafted language, out-of-context in a briefing document"
Yvette Cooper: "I am afraid the document has been wrong on this and it does not reflect what we are actually doing as well."
I read that document, and I'm sure you have, too - there was NOTHING wrong with it at all, and it should be applauded as a guide for Labour canvassers. But because some sensitive UKIP types pick out a couple of words and say "He's not engaging with immigration!" all of a sudden he has to backtrack from it. That makes me sad.
Last edited by DonutHingeParty on Mon 15 Dec, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Miliband has a point tbh - if it was drafted more carefully the MSM would have found it harder to mendaciously misrepresent it.

IMO, anyway.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

"Miliband’s rope-a-dope trick
On the surface of things, you wouldn’t say Ed Miliband has too much in common with Muhammad Ali.
But – unwittingly – Miliband may just have pulled off the greatest rope-a-dope trick since Ali invented the concept forty years ago.
As all fight fans know, Ali won the ‘Rumble in the Jungle’ in 1974, after his tactic of lying back against the ropes – seemingly on the point of collapse – lulled George Foreman into a frenzied attack. Just when Foreman had exhausted himself, Ali bounced off the ropes and knocked his opponent out.
Now think about the last ten weeks."

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

GY Labour
‏@gylabour Sorry journos - this was an opportunity for GYarmouth folks to ask questions, not rehash the day's talking points.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 1: ESSEX
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2014/12/1 ... um=twitter
This is the first in a series of blogposts which will seek to predict the outcome of every seat in the run-up to the next general election. The notion of a universal swing in May 2015 can be totally discounted. Each seat has to be treated on its merits. I’m starting off by trying to analyse the counties I know best, but eventually will turn to ones I know very little about at all. Feel free to add your comments and tell me where you think I have got things wrong. I will return to update each county analysis when and if I get new information...
Little could he foresee that this would be out of date almost immediately as Kerry Smith UKIP candidate exited right on a smelly cloud of homophobic and racist rant.

He's set himself quite a big task with these seat by seat predictions. Most of these Essex seats are straightforward Conservative holds according to him ... but he's giving Harlow to Labour in a narrow win, Thurrock to Ukip (he might want to rethink that now!), and Carswell is holding on to Clacton for Ukip.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

ephemerid wrote:Please may we have an award for the single most ridiculous Tweet ever in the history of everything?

Ladies and Gents, I give you....... Louise Mensch.

Once again, the chick-lit ex-failed MP super-egotistic mega=twerp has Tweeted this:

"Advance Australia Fair #SydneySeige xxxx"

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mensch's husband is Jimmy Page's manager, if the 'rumours' ever turn out to be correct and the brown sticky stuff hits the fan she might have to learn to button her lip
Now that his friend and fellow rock star Roy Harper has been accused of historic sex offences against one young woman (he has pleaded not guilty), and police are putting the spotlight on the behaviour of Seventies entertainers, is Page worried?
‘With due respect, I don’t want to comment on it,’ he says.
‘It was a lifestyle in the Seventies. There’s a lot of water under the bridge for everyone who survived that era. End of story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/a ... l-did.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

UKIP - power struggle, not soap opera
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30476383
... You may think that UKIP's week of bad headlines is just a diverting soap opera.

You may think it simply shows the growing pains of Britain's fastest growing political force. You may think it has no significance at all. If so, you'd be wrong.

All the bizarre news stories that have emerged from UKIP in recent days reflect a power struggle within a party that aspires to hold the balance of power after the next election...
He's got a touch of Talking Heads there.

And you may find yourself on a banner held aloft by Scottish Nats Nick ...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

There is a chance the incumbent (Tory) MP could come third in Thurrock - that isn't something that happens too often.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Nice bit of editorialisation from Andrew Sparrow regarding Cameron's lies. My favourite bit is "This stretches the truth to breaking point.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AnatolyKasparov wrote:There is a chance the incumbent (Tory) MP could come third in Thurrock - that isn't something that happens too often.
Mind you Jackie Doyle-Price is a spectacularly dim Tory, even by their admittedly low standards.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

11 dogs rescued at gorge near Aberystwyth
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-30481711
Something horrible gone on there. 11 dogs in one go ... that's not a natural occurrence, surely.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

This is really quite touching.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-30479306
As a gunman holds people hostage in a cafe in Sydney, thousands of messages of support have been posted online for Muslims in Australia who are afraid of an Islamophobic backlash.

The spark was this post on Facebook by Rachael Jacobs, who said she'd seen a woman she presumed was Muslim silently removing her hijab while sitting next to her on the train: "I ran after her at the train station. I said 'put it back on. I'll walk with u'. She started to cry and hugged me for about a minute - then walked off alone'.

The story of Rachael's encounter with a woman in religious attire inspired this Twitter user, 'Sir Tessa', aka Tessa Kum: "If you reg take the #373 bus b/w Coogee/MartinPl, wear religious attire, & don't feel safe alone: I'll ride with you. @ me for schedule," user 'Sir Tessa' tweeted. Moments later she tweeted "Maybe start a hashtag? What's in #illridewithyou?"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

What should Labour's message on immigration be?
15 Dec 2014: Head to head: Diane Abbott and Simon Danczuk debate whether Labour should put immigration high up its agenda
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ion-agenda
I'm too weary with it all to do much more than repeat today's refrain of - I wish Simon Danczuk would fuck off.

But - really - these two must have far too much time on their hands if they so quick to participate in this ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Margaret Hodge MP ‏@margarethodge 33m33 minutes ago
Absolutely extraordinary that BIS embarked on mass expansion of private colleges without any regulatory structure in place @CommonsPAC

Margaret Hodge MP ‏@margarethodge 47m47 minutes ago
Student loans company admits it is pursuing £3.84 million of public moneythat should never have been paid @CommonsPAC

Margaret Hodge MP ‏@margarethodge 48m48 minutes ago
20% drop-out rate among private colleges; EU students receiving £5.4 million not entitled to...Gobsmacking that BIS ignored these red flags
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Absolutely extraordinary that BIS embarked on mass expansion of private colleges without any regulatory structure in place @CommonsPAC

Student loans company admits it is pursuing £3.84 million of public moneythat should never have been paid @CommonsPAC

20% drop-out rate among private colleges; EU students receiving £5.4 million not entitled to...Gobsmacking that BIS ignored these red flags
I like that Vince Cable. Put him in charge of a department, and you'd see a difference. Real world business experience. Knows how to get things done. No left and right ideology getting in the way.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Steve Richards just given a pretty good analysis of what Miliband / Labour are trying to address with the announced measures re exploitation of migrant labour - i.e. it's quite a bold proposal which almost amounts to an incomes policy designed to try to reduce the imbalances re different EU countries as much as possible within a UK govt's remit ... and why they have to address immigration as an issue - because for many voters it is already an issue. With Dan Hodges (who wasn't introduced as a former Labour / Union bod - but just 'writes for the Telegraph) sticking to his downer mode saying all Labour should be doing is talking about the positives re immigration not trying to out Ukip Ukip.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Has anyone seen ParrotKeeper around or about anywhere ?
Hope things are ok with her.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I like that Vince Cable. Put him in charge of a department, and you'd see a difference. Real world business experience. Knows how to get things done. No left and right ideology getting in the way.
The carelessness and waste exposed there is mind-boggling - Hodge is right to be gobsmacked. And Vince has always seemed such a nice sensible man .....

Mind-boggling is my word of the week for government news and dysnews.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Has anyone seen ParrotKeeper around or about anywhere ?
Hope things are ok with her.
No - I wondered about her the other day and popped over to UK Polling Report to see if she was there under her other name - but no. Like you I hope things are alright.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevan Jones MP ‏@KevanJonesMP 18m18 minutes ago
Fire minister Penny Mordaunt not answering any questions on Firefighters Pension scheme simply reading out Civil servants brief.

Sounds like she's going to be as unimpressive as she was on QT the other evening. Burbling stuff without much substance and without sounding like she even meant it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
The carelessness and waste exposed there is mind-boggling - Hodge is right to be gobsmacked. And Vince has always seemed such a nice sensible man .....

Mind-boggling is my word of the week for government news and dysnews.
Bit of a Coalition theme. Look at our bold plans. Oh shit, forgot the checks and balances.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jonathan Reynolds MP ‏@jreynoldsMP 1m1 minute ago
Now in Firefighters' Pension debate. Overwhelming frustration that the Govt just have no understanding of the job or the people who do it
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I do like a dose of sarcasm.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

mikems wrote:Today's MS leader on Jim Murphy's election:

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-a3 ... l-to-climb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's written in quite generous spirit. But think Murphy can make the same points about Nationalists that they do, and make some progress.

Think the focus on tuition fees is disproportionate. The main Scottish teaching union says schools are having a very hard time. New Labour (in England) did those up. Poor pupils stuck in shit facilities aren't likely to go to university.

If Murphy emphasized schools, would that be attacking from the left? I'd say it would.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Dunt @IanDunt · 4h 4 hours ago
Prison book ban: Ministry of Justice won't appeal ruling http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/12 ... -christmas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … Full details

Ian Dunt @IanDunt · 4h 4 hours ago
Sources say Ministry of Justice WON'T APPEAL prisoner book ban ruling. However, they refuse to lift restrictions in time for Christmas.
Miserable barstewards.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

What a delightful looking little hound that is letsskip. Been meaning to say that ever since he / she appeared. We met one like that on the beach today - but she was too scared of our 'big dogs' to come that close. Shame as our 'big dogs' are the soppiest pair out.

The estuary was all Bridget Riley this afternoon, if you know what I mean. Fabulous.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Helen Jones MP ‏@HelenJonesMP 8m8 minutes ago
Abysmal performance from Penny Mordaunt trying to defend Government stance on firefighters’ pensions.

Barbara Keeley ‏@KeeleyMP 7m7 minutes ago
Excellent speech in #EDM454 debate by my colleague and former firefighter @jimfitzpatrick

Barbara Keeley retweeted
FBU Berkshire ‏@FBUBerkshire 52m52 minutes ago
@PennyMordauntMP has no answers to the key issues on firefighter pensions as did @BrandonLewis before her!
Yes - sounds like Mordaunt is going down a bomb - so to speak.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

rebeccariots2 wrote:What a delightful looking little hound that is letsskip. Been meaning to say that ever since he / she appeared. We met one like that on the beach today - but she was too scared of our 'big dogs' to come that close. Shame as our 'big dogs' are the soppiest pair out.

The estuary was all Bridget Riley this afternoon, if you know what I mean. Fabulous.
He's a he, a right soppy sod, all bark, is sister, a wheaten Scottie plays balls with him, they haven't been on a beach yet, when the weather breaks I want to take them to St Dogmaels, Poppit sands, been there a few times, time I took them too.

Right work.. Have a good night everyone.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Ok From the Guardian Danczuk article.
And to do that we need to make big changes to the way immigration is currently managed. Beyond London high levels of immigration are having a big impact in terms of driving down wages, putting pressure on public services and damaging community cohesion. How can it be fair, for example, that Rochdale currently takes more asylum seekers than the whole of the south-east combined?

So I am glad Labour is making the issue of "controlling immigration fairly" a key part of our 2015 manifesto, as outlined by Ed Miliband today. After all, the Conservatives have completely failed on this subject. And for all Ukip's talk, when its small business spokesperson has his restaurant raided for employing illegal immigrants it is clear their bravura lacks substance.

So rather than move the conversation on, let's have a sensible discussion. Not a ridiculous rant blaming immigrants for traffic problems, as Nigel Farage suggests. Or daft posturing like the Conservatives, which puts stunts such as "go home" vans ahead of maintaining border agency staff. Voters want a party they can trust on immigration. And until we earn this trust then I fear many of Labour's best policies will fall on deaf ears.

Simon Danczuk is Labour MP for Rochdale
Who are you, and what have you done with the real Simon Danczuk?
Release the Guardvarks.