Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th January 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th January 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th January 2023

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well the person they are referring to is, as I said the other day, a student politician who has never really grown up.

Also now rumoured that Starmer has given him a bollocking for flying this GPs kite without consulting others at the top of the party.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Great on NHS , some fun excerpts of QT

the Andrew Tate is horrible, but important for parents of youth in the age of QAnon; incels ............

With Michael Walker and Ash Sarkar.

00.00 Introduction
00:51 Doctors Tear Into The Tories For NHS Collapse
14:30 Shocking Andrew Tate Allegations
40:04 Ash Sarkar SLAMS Tories on BBC Question Time
48:18 Prince Harry’s Frostbitten Penis
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Ukrainian refugees who travelled to the UK to escape the war are risking their lives by returning to their homeland to seek urgent medical treatments after giving up on the NHS.

Due the NHS pressures and long waiting lists for procedures, Ukrainians living with families across the UK are taking the perilous trip back into a war zone where they are treated by doctors immediately despite Russian bombardments of their towns and cities.

Soon after President Vladimir Putin sent Russian troops into Ukraine on 24 February last year, the UK Government announced that all refugees from the country would be permitted free and full access to NHS services.

Maiia Habruk escaped Kyiv last spring along with around five million fellow citizens and found a safe haven with a couple in south east London. But she returned to Ukraine in mid-December after failing to get the treatment she needed from her local hospital in Lewisham.

Ms Habruk, 31, suffers from angina and, despite experiencing chest pains was unable to book a face-to-face appointment with a GP. During a phone consultation she was told to take paracetamol, but the pain persisted.

Soon after this, Ms Habruk also suffered from severe pain in her cheek and waited four hours in local A&E department before getting to the front of the queue.

“I had hellish pain in my face,” said Maiia. “I couldn’t sleep, and the painkillers didn’t work.

“I went to the NHS chatroom online and I was told to wait for a call the following day, but the call did not happen, so I went to the hospital.

“After waiting four hours the doctor didn’t even look at me and she also told me to take paracetamol. Again, it didn’t help, and I was still in severe pain.”

She decided the only way to get the treatment she believed she required was to make the 24-hour trip back to Ukraine, which includes a flight to Poland and a long and dangerous train journey to Kyiv.

“I was told it was an urgent issue with my wisdom tooth and that I had to have an extraction immediately,” added Ms Habruk.

“I do not in any way want to criticise the NHS. I think it’s amazing that everyone can get help for free.”

Ms Habruk’s pain was coming from pulpitis, an inflammation of the soft inner tissue of a tooth that, if not treated immediately, can lead to permanent pain or sensitivity. The doctor in Ukraine took the tooth out immediately.

Maiia, who witnessed almost daily bombing raids by the Russians while in Kyiv, knows three other Ukrainians in London who sought emergency health procedures back in their war-torn country due to the lack of availability of quick treatment from the NHS.

Labour’s shadow health secretary Wes Streeting told i: “Vladimir Putin is dropping bombs on Ukrainian hospitals, yet patients are travelling back to Kyiv rather than face NHS waiting lists.

“Rishi Sunak ought to be ashamed of the state of the health service.”

Another Ukrainian woman who sought refuge in Glasgow also travelled back home to seek medical help.

Maria is 22 years old and has been living in Scotland since the summer. She suffers from a hormonal thyroid condition that requires regular testing and treatment.

But after visiting her new GP in Glasgow, she decided the wait for treatment was so long that it made more sense for her to risk traveling back to the war in her own country to see a doctor in Kyiv.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sat 14 Jan, 2023 10:55 am Well the person they are referring to is, as I said the other day, a student politician who has never really grown up.

Also now rumoured that Starmer has given him a bollocking for flying this GPs kite without consulting others at the top of the party.
But not before he'd got on the front page of the weekend i.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Oh, the media pack absolutely love Wes.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Just a reminder that the Guardian is a fucking cesspool of a paper, dressed up in 'liberal' aesthetics

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Oh, and fuck Labour too

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good afternoon.

It was cold. It was wet. And we drew 0-0. yes, it was that good...

Meanwhile...this was apparently a constituency event and therefore not something the HO ought to be responding to. She really is a horrible person.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Erm, I thought you were already in a Disaster ?

" Sir Andrew Goddard, gastroenterology consultant and president of the Royal College of Physicians (RCP), said:
“To me it’s obvious and quite frightening. If we don’t invest in training more doctors now, in 10 years’ time the NHS will face disaster.”

The RCP has been calling for 7,500 more medical school places to be funded each year in the UK at an annual cost of £1.85bn, but Goddard says <b>the Treasury is blocking expansion.</b> The Medical Schools Council has echoed these demands, though it says the country could manage with 5,000 extra students a year and 13 new medical schools if it continues to plug gaps with doctors from overseas. "
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... cal-school

Universities are opening new medical schools , some of which are for high-paying overseas students, .... ONLY !

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... r-shortage
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Hands on censorship from the HO !

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The insanity continues,

( Governments -- " The Ninth Wave was the very last wave, and you can believe us on that ...") --
" “The population has built up high immunity, and the experts who advise us no longer believe there will be another big, serious winter wave,” he added. “At this point, we also don’t foresee particularly dangerous variants reaching us in the coming weeks and months.” "
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Here's the Starmer column on the NHS in a format that you can read...the self-diagnosis bit is naïve if not dangerous - that back problem might not be just the back. But getting GPs working directly in the NHS is sound, as is expanding the workforce and more training places for, and laying today's problems firmly at the door of the Government is good.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... -reform%2F
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

FOR THE ANTIVAXXERS (APRIL 2020)

" Stroke surge
Reports of strokes in the young and middle-aged — not just at Mount Sinai, but also in many other hospitals in communities hit hard by the novel coronavirus — are the latest twist in our evolving understanding of the disease it causes. The numbers of those affected are small but nonetheless remarkable because they challenge how doctors understand the virus. Even as it has infected nearly 2.8 million people worldwide and killed about 195,000 as of Friday, its biological mechanisms continue to elude top scientific minds.

Once thought to be a pathogen that primarily attacks the lungs, it has turned out to be a much more formidable foe — impacting nearly every major organ system in the body."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... -patients/

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

@Sky's pick from thursday's QT

Our childcare plan will be like the birth of the NHS, claims Labour’s new star

Bridget Phillipson: Labour’s childcare plan will be like the birth of the NHS

Bridget Phillipson, the shadow education secretary, believes the “scale and ambition” of Labour’s childcare reforms will compare with Aneurin Bevan’s creation of the National Health Service.

In a bid to resolve one of the biggest problems facing families, and therefore the economy, the rising Labour star has a plan, as yet not fully costed: to guarantee childcare for all parents of children aged nine months to 11 years.

Speaking in her office overlooking Westminster Bridge, Phillipson, 39, who has an 11-year-old daughter and a seven-year-old son, said existing childcare provision was “fragmented and complicated”.

“[There are] lots of different pots of money in a system that just doesn’t work,” she said.

Currently, all three to four-year-olds can have 15 hours a week of free childcare, with some children eligible for 30 hours if their parents qualify.

ADVERTISEMENT
As any parent with a job know, this is not enough.

Phillipson said she was always hearing of parents — “mothers in particular” — who “give up jobs they love, cut back on their hours because childcare isn’t available and it’s not affordable”.

She said: “When I knock on doors in Watford or Thurrock or Sedgefield, it comes up as a big issue with parents.”

Britons pay the third-highest childcare costs in the developed world. The average cost of sending a child under two to nursery full-time is £263 a week, according to the National Childbirth Trust.

Phillipson, who was raised by her mother, a single parent, in a council house in Washington, Tyne and Wear, knows the benefits of good childcare.

“My mum gave up work when I came along because there was no childcare,” she said. “At the point I was born, she was working in a residential home for children. She left school at 15 and did lots of different jobs. That was in 1983, and yet here we are in 2023 and that’s the situation still facing so many women. It has to change.”

She wants other mothers and fathers not to have the same experience.

“Despite the fact we spend an awful lot of money as a country on childcare, it is fragmented,” she said. “Providers are closing and childcare is becoming less and less accessible, which is why I believe we need to completely rethink how we deliver childcare. [We need to] move towards a modern system that runs from the end of parental leave right through to the end of primary school.”

ADVERTISEMENT
She added that she wants to “make a change in education . . . like the change that we saw post-1945 with the creation of the NHS. That’s the scale and ambition that we have.”

Phillipson’s inspiration? A trip last year to Estonia, where a place at nursery is guaranteed by law and childcare provision does not end until a pupil’s primary education does.

It is offered to all families at a cost of €70 (£62) a month at most — and even less for disadvantaged families. Phillipson said the support for Estonian parents was “seamless” from the moment they chose to go back to work. Parents are also given flexibility, with additional support that lets them work the jobs and hours they choose. She will visit Australia next month to learn from the experiences of Anthony Albanese, the Labor prime minister, whose pledge to make childcare cheaper helped him to an election victory in May that ended nine years of Liberal-National rule.

The Labour MP for Houghton and Sunderland South, who was elected in 2010, Phillipson believes that childcare will be a fault line at the next general election, especially after Rishi Sunak appeared to row back from plans by his predecessors Boris Johnson and Liz Truss to overhaul the system to save families money.

Sunak’s decision has put him at odds with some of his Conservative backbenchers, who believe reforming childcare will be a winner at the ballot box.

Phillipson, who is married, says: “There is a lot of frustration from Conservatives . . . because they have the same conversations that I have with voters in Conservative-held seats. When childcare costs more to parents than their rent or their mortgage, you’ve got a real problem.

“Continued inaction from the Conservatives, I think, puts lots of seats within the reach of the Labour Party.”

ADVERTISEMENT
The cost of childcare is not the only headache that comes with her patch. On top of the many months lost to the coronavirus, Phillipson, who went to a Roman Catholic comprehensive school and then studied modern history at the University of Oxford, is concerned about the effect on students’ education of the industrial action being taken by university lecturers. Teachers are also balloting for strike action.

Last week, the University and College Union announced a further 18 days of industrial action in February and March by more than 70,000 staff at 150 universities in a long-running dispute over pay, conditions and pensions.

She said: “I don’t want strikes to go ahead. And there’s no reason that strikes should happen . . . because if the government sit down and negotiate properly then there is no reason for the strikes to happen. But at the moment they’re still refusing to have meaningful discussions around pay.”

Phillipson, who went to Oxford after getting A-levels in history, French, Spanish and English literature, said the university was an amazing place to study but there “weren’t many people from the northeast [of England] there, and there weren’t many people from backgrounds like mine.

“It was a culture shock. There were people who had second homes in France, went on skiing holidays, had gap years . . . I was more interested in going to music gigs than going to posh balls. It was a very different world.”

Phillipson described the anti-strike legislation, which will receive its second reading tomorrow and will introduce minimum service levels for certain sectors, as “completely unworkable”.

Labour has already said it will vote against the bill and repeal the ensuing act if the party gets into power.

ADVERTISEMENT
Phillipson called the legislation a “complete distraction” and said the only way to resolve a dispute was to “get around the table and sort it out”.

“What the public want is for disputes to come to an end, and the way to resolve that is through negotiation,” she said. “Pointless legislation that doesn’t work in other countries, and won’t work here, is not the way forward.”

@CazJWheeler

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't count on learning anything from Albanese, his 'pledges' appear to be empty, like the other bloke she knows .

Cheaper to come across the Channel, plenty of other examples here .
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see the man the C of E rejected is abandoning his flock to go to Davos with Rebel News. Almost certainly to report from the outside given that they won't get press access.

I remember that Corcoran person going there last time and it was a "Well, it's all held in secret because the elites won't let us in..."

Interesting comment by a teacher who I used to follow with my old account...

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote: Sun 15 Jan, 2023 9:14 am Here's the Starmer column on the NHS in a format that you can read...the self-diagnosis bit is naïve if not dangerous - that back problem might not be just the back. But getting GPs working directly in the NHS is sound, as is expanding the workforce and more training places for, and laying today's problems firmly at the door of the Government is good.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... -reform%2F
Have you no opinion on the Birbalsingh news? :)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Who needs GP's ? cont'd

NHS 'reform' .....

" What alters the Wi-Fi signal is the way the body moves as we breathe. Think of how your chest moves differently when you are wheezing or coughing, compared with breathing normally. As the manikin “breathed,” the movement of its chest altered the path traveled by the Wi-Fi signal. The team members recorded the data provided by the CSI streams. Although they collected a wealth of data, they still needed help to make sense of what they had gathered.

“This is where we can leverage deep learning,” Coder said.

Deep learning is a subset of artificial intelligence, a type of machine learning that mimics humans’ ability to learn from their past actions and improves the machine’s ability to recognize patterns and analyze new data.

Mosleh worked on a deep learning algorithm to comb through the CSI data, understand it, and recognize patterns that indicated different breathing problems. The algorithm, which they named BreatheSmart, successfully classified a variety of respiratory patterns simulated with the manikin 99.54% of the time. "
https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/2 ... ng-breathe
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Excellent one !

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Actual clown shoes. Remember people, these are the serious grownups

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote: Sun 15 Jan, 2023 2:19 pm Actual clown shoes. Remember people, these are the serious grownups
VERY clownish, how much bleeding on the Loo, to begin with ?

IF there is enough to see with the naked eye either it could be extra-nasty piles or exploding polyps, for a start. Either way your gastroenterologist will be having at least a quick look up yer bum :-)

FGS -- that is NOT a bloody 'test' you fule !

Every year I receive the routine 'shit-test for oldies', which is the equivalent of a smear, for blood that is NOT visible . Then the GP decides what to do. I basically have a colonoscopy every few years , common practice for oldies just about everywhere .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Tickling the media with just ten to start with ...
" Britain will send a squadron of 14 Challenger 2 tanks to Ukraine to help counter Russia's invasion "in the coming weeks", Downing Street says.

It marks the first time Western-made tanks have been pledged to Kyiv.

Around 30 AS90s, which are large, self-propelled guns, operated by five gunners, will also be provided."
---------------------------------

It's a nice package with the guns too . Just hoping they are the more recent Challenger upgrades, WITH logistic support because they need lotsa recovery & repair/maintenance etc , and that the guns are the longer-barreled 52 calibre ones .

Checking her wiki, there is one false note, right at the end ...
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Forget covid, it's all over, be HAPPY !

Whoops poor fool ?

Disclaimer -- I have not the foggiest idea who she is, obviously a celeb of some sort
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Jamie Lee Curtis is a pretty famous thespian.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 15 Jan, 2023 11:49 am
Have you no opinion on the Birbalsingh news? :)
This?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64187298

Hadn't seen it which is odd although I tend to miss a lot of edu news.

Like a lot of people I said at the time she was completely the wrong choice - she knows about her school but little else. She was appointed because they knew she wouldn't make waves - all she would do is to come out with her usual "Kids much fall into line. And parents are to blame for everything"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And in that article Badenoch reveals, to nobody's surprise, that she doesn't know what social mobility is all about...I remember they said they wanted to 'redefine it'.

I
n a letter of reply, Ms Badenoch praised her "fresh approach to social mobility", which had moved away from the idea "that it should just be about the 'long' upward mobility from the bottom to the top".
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 15 Jan, 2023 8:25 pm Jamie Lee Curtis is a pretty famous thespian.
I'll take your word for that AK !

The point being is that she's a completely brilliant anti-advertisement for Biden's " Victory Over Covid",
which has been subsequently copied by Trudeau and that Fake-Labor Australian bloke .
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Sat 14 Jan, 2023 7:31 pm This was apparently a constituency event and therefore not something the HO ought to be responding to. She really is a horrible person.
Having watched the entire thing it's much worse than the edited version. Disturbingly so.

The people there actually applauded Suella Braverman for effectively giving the finger to a holocaust survivor. I'd love to know what the Board of Deputies of British Jews thinks about it. I mean they're usually quite vociferous about antisemitism in politics. What's that? Not a peep? Well I never.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I notice a certain person beginning with R posted a video of Ash Sarkar being good on QT after I said she was 'sub par'.

A number of things need to be taken into account here.

First it's cherry picking a single example from an otherwise lacklustre display, and second on average I consume at least a couple of beers then a bottle of red wine watching QT then composing my review so remembering things is quite difficult.

I did try taking notes during the programme a few times and I have to admit the reviews were better for it but it was too much like hard work and I couldn't be arsed to keep it up.

Maybe somebody else could have a go?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

On the NASUWT (teachers union) failure to reach the 50% threshold I had an interesting chat with my brother today.

Apparently the union hired a private company to send out the letters asking people to vote to strike but the addresses on some of the return envelopes provided were wrong, including his. He read it out to me and it was indeed different to address it should have been sent to.

So it seems we have the possibility of some state anti-union chicanery going on or a fuck up at the company the union employed.

Apparently the NASUWT are 'investigating'.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sun 15 Jan, 2023 10:48 pm I notice a certain person beginning with R posted a video of Ash Sarkar being good on QT after I said she was 'sub par'.

A number of things need to be taken into account here.

First it's cherry picking a single example from an otherwise lacklustre display, and second on average I consume at least a couple of beers then a bottle of red wine watching QT then composing my review so remembering things is quite difficult.

I did try taking notes during the programme a few times and I have to admit the reviews were better for it but it was too much like hard work and I couldn't be arsed to keep it up.

Maybe somebody else could have a go?
Hey, that was no reflection on your critique of her or the program. It just appeared in my twitter timeline and she made some good points in that particular clip.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »