Thursday 19th January 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 19th January 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 19th January 2023

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morefternoon to anyone about.

I note that certain media outlets are finally starting to cover the Zahawi story.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Labour, to the right of Teresa May

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its important to recognise that the "moving right" on trans matters mostly isn't about politicians.

Far more down to extremely loud, and very powerful, people in the media. Which is, maybe being generous here, 95% anti self-ID overall.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Wes Streeting was surprisingly good on the CH4 news NHS debate last night so we'll see if he can maintain his form. Can't say I'm looking forward to the prospect of having to listen to James Bartholomew though, the man's an absolute arsehole.

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Brilliant !!!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile .... purified air for us but not for you OR your children .
Illness is good for them , and you too !

Unclear when these systems were fitted in Parliament, added on to existing AC .

Please note in the thread that DfE was not interested .

In several cases parents who offered Hepa purifiers for classes were refused by headteachers, following govt non-guidelines . (If govt does not impose, it must be rejected!)

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I just got one of those scam texts claiming to be from the Post Office saying they'd tried to deliver a parcel and asking me to click on a link.

Nice try bozos, but I distinctly remember Royal Mail being split from the Post Office, privatised, then sold off on the cheap by Vince Cable so the Post Office has nothing to do with delivering parcels and hasn't done for over a decade.

Do your research scammers.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

For anyone who didn't see it last night.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Shame he doesn't do that sort of thing more often, as opposed to "owning the left" Labour Students type stunts.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Great one !

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Thu 19 Jan, 2023 6:08 pm For anyone who didn't see it last night.
Great stuff, but as a commenter pointed out, no more than what a random person in the street 'might' have come out with !

Whately looked positively SICK ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Went out to protect my windscreen from icing up in the night

TOO LATE :-)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Good lord, what a shot 😲
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote: Thu 19 Jan, 2023 8:11 pm
Whately looked positively SICK ?
She did indeed.

re the £19m for Rishi's constituency, it's for Catterick Garrison, which is hardly the leafy shires. You could argue it should come out of the MoD budget.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

A Question Time NHS crisis special tonight which came from Hoddesdon, which is on the Northern outskirts of London apparently. I'd never heard of the place before.

For right wing anti-NHS ideologues we had James Bartholomew. James performed an impressive impersonation of a demented Telegraph reading parrot. In response to every single question his answer was that we should scrap the NHS funding model and go down the route of insurance instead. He literally repeated the same thing over and over again without the slightest evidence of thought or having listened to a single word anyone else had said. He even had the bare faced cheek to throw a strop at the end because everyone else was dismissing his nonsense out of hand. In his own tiny mind he was right and everybody else was wrong. Politicians and professionals should be ignored, only he had the answers. I've unfortunately been aware of James for some time, mainly due to his laughably inaccurate polemics against the welfare state, so was already aware he was a dishonest, intellectually vacuous arsehole, but now I need to add whining thin skinned baby to the list.

On the entirely opposite end of the spectrum we had Victor Adebowale for the NHS Confederation. Victor was great last time he was on QT and he was at it again. Straight talking, honest and seems like a lovely bloke. His answer to pretty much all the ills the NHS faces at the moment? Better pay and working conditions for those working in it. Simple as that. Good man.

For the Royal college of GPs we had Clare Gerada. Clare was also good and largely agreed with most of what Victor said. She provides a mental health service for GPs. When she first started she said she was getting about 200 doctors coming to her for help a year. Now she says it's more like 200 a month.

For Labour we had Wes Streeting. After a decent performance on CH4 yesterday Wes was back to his old self again. He wasn't awful, in fact he got a few people clapping on occasion, but you can't help wondering if he'd be better off not being so angry and combative all of the time. You'd go from Victor Adebowale discussing the retention of NHS nurses with a bit of good natured charm and back and forth with the audience, to Wes going off on one looking like he was about to beat someone to death while barely pausing for breath as he ranted on. I'm not saying people shouldn't be angry given the subject but Wes is always like this. It must be exhausting and it's certainly off-putting.

For the Tories we had Will Quince. Will has been a minister for health and social care for a grand total of a couple of months and had absolutely nothing of any substance to say about anything. A total waste of everyone's time.

As for the programme itself the main problem that kept coming up was an overworked, demoralised NHS staff leading to an appalling retention rate, leading to vast quantities of money squandered on agency staff.

Apart from Will Quince and the demented Telegraph parrot everyone agreed the obvious answer was better pay and conditions. Which seems pretty fucking obvious to anyone not addled by Conservative delusions. At the beginning of the programme Fiona Bruce showed a graph of NHS spending since 1997. The difference between the levels of spending under Labour and what's happened since couldn't have been more stark.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Hoddesdon is in Broxbourne, a very very safe Tory constituency indeed. If the locals there are restless, its not a good sign for them.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Oh god he's an even bigger arsehole than I thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bar ... ournalist)
Bartholomew is credited with popularising the term "virtue signalling". Writing in The Spectator in April 2015, he defined virtue signalling as statements and positions held with the intention that the holder be "welcomed and approved for having displayed the approved, virtuous views". He comments that "No one actually has to do anything. Virtue comes from mere words or even from silently held beliefs." He has been credited with coining the phrase by The Guardian, and of being its "main popularizer" by The New York Times.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Thu 19 Jan, 2023 11:33 pm Hoddesdon is in Broxbourne, a very very safe Tory constituency indeed. If the locals there are restless, its not a good sign for them.
The safest Tory seat in the country according to Fiona Bruce, whose seat is it? Let me see...Charles Walker, who is retiring so perfect for a certain fat lying shitstain to be parachuted into. Although I suspect it would have to be two parachutes just to be on the safe side.

They certainly didn't take to Will Quince, he was met with a wall of silence throughout, but he kinda said right at the start he hadn't been in the job long enough to know what the fuck he was talking about, which to be fair is not the kind of admission you usually get from a minister. He was still fucking hopeless though. Where do the Tories find these peculiar mediocrities?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Nick Cave was best when he was still a junkie.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The first time I took shrooms my older hippie friends told me not to listen to the album I'd bought that day, Your Funeral My Trial by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Being an idiot I ignored their well meaning advice both about the number of mushrooms I should consume and the musical accompaniment.

Consequently it took me at least two years before I was able to listen to Nick Cave again without immediate feelings of gut wrenching horror.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I haven't always listened to chicks with synths. I just found it relaxing and good for my various complaints.