Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd January 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd January 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd January 2023

Post by refitman »

Being a drag performer 👍
Running for a party painting drag performers as 'groomers' 👎

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Is there any box he hasn't ticked by now?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sat 21 Jan, 2023 10:17 am Is there any box he hasn't ticked by now?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I just can't...

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Sat 21 Jan, 2023 12:11 pm I just can't...
What do these idiots do when they see an actual rainbow? Try shooting it maybe?

"I aint gonna have no queer shit up in ma firmament, Betsy Lou go get ma AR-15!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It does rather look like Zahawi asked his tax lawyers to be "clever" and they ended up being a bit too clever for his own good.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

It's not looking good for Julian Sands, I hope he's found safe and well.

He's had some stick over the years about his acting but this work of late Eighties genius with Richard E Grant means I'll always be a fan.

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good afternoon.

"Nothing to see here. Move along now..."

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Sat 21 Jan, 2023 6:38 pm Good afternoon.

"Nothing to see here. Move along now..."

Sharp has given £400k to the Conservatives, once managed Rishi Sunak at Goldman Sachs and is friend of Johnson

But his proximity to Johnson - and involvement in financing his lifestyle in Downing St - has never been revealed (2/7)
Sharp became involved after dining with his friend Sam Blyth, a millionaire foreign national and distant cousin of Johnson's in Nov 2020

Blyth asked Sharp for advice. Sharp agreed to help. He met Simon Case to discuss matter in No10, brokered intro for Blyth, briefed PM (3/7)
Simon Case told Sharp to cease his involvement in the matter.

Shortly after, Cab Office Propriety and Ethics Team told Johnson to stop talking to Sharp

By then, Johnson had already selected Sharp as his candidate for the £160k-a-year role (4/7)
By the time loan was finalised, Johnson had held private dinner at Chequers with two men and a bottle of wine around a small table... Sharp and Blyth

It is claimed the PM's finances were not discussed. Team Johnson dismissed Qs about the meal, saying: "So what? Big deal." (5/7)
BBC job application says: "You cannot be considered for a public appointment if you fail to declare any conflict of interest"

Candidates must disclose anything which could later undermine confidence in appointment

Sharp didn't tell panel. MPs on pre-hearing did not know (6/7)
Sharp acknowledges he "connected" Johnson's guarantor with the head of the civil service; he insists there was no conflict and he did not provide wider financial advice.

Johnson will not answer Qs, says all interests have been declared property. (7/7)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

What Germany’s ‘shilly-shallying’ means for Ukraine, Russia & NATO | DW News

Tsk, criticising their government, or just reporting ?

A fine line !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

If none of that works, off you go to ICU for intubation where you will be sedated.

RIP
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Timeline on Zahawi and his tax dealings (or lack of them). Looks like his lawyers might be in a spot of bother too...

https://www.taxpolicy.org.uk/2023/01/19/zahawi_story/
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Sun 22 Jan, 2023 9:20 am Timeline on Zahawi and his tax dealings (or lack of them). Looks like his lawyers might be in a spot of bother too...
Thanks for that Roger . Though 'Dave' Hartnett is long gone HMRC appears to still be very accommodating towards big time tax evasion . Looks like a parliamentary question as to when the taxman knew about this is in order. Let's hope this one runs !
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Jo Michell goes on:
And, of course, sigh, the framing ends up at the public finances. Low growth is, in case you hadn’t heard, not great for debt/GDP ratios.

Somehow these articles never consider the possibility that this focus on the public finances led to and provided cover for the sequence of bad policy that at least in part generated the outcome. Macroeconomics doesn’t exist. Economic outcomes are purely exogenous.
Adam Brown
@AdamLBrown3

Establishment journalists find it much easier to point the finger at brexit, which they see as being thrust upon them by an ungrateful populace, than austerity, the chief perpetrators of which they usually know personally from eton/oxbridge.
Last edited by gilsey on Sun 22 Jan, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote: Sun 22 Jan, 2023 9:45 am HMRC appears to still be very accommodating towards big time tax evasion .
They always have been, it really is one rule for the rich and another for the poor in HMRC. Part of the culture of the dept and it's easy to see how it's come about, the rich can pay clever people to stretch the rules as far as they'll go, or a bit further in Zahawi's case*. Consequently most of the cleverest people work for the rich instead of HMRC.

In the unlikely event that a future govt wanted to change that, they'd have to invest a lot of money and be very patient while pushing for culture change.

* probably should say 'current' case, it's probably the tip of the iceberg.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

A reminder that Sunak told us upon becoming PM that he would prioritise "integrity" and "accountability".
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Labour making it harder and harder to vote for

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

On WATO the Labperson said they' d pay for the NHS by sorting out non-dom tax status ...

bangs head against wall .

Sharon for President --

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Superb article from John Harris.

Ludicrous ideas, perpetual scandal: the Conservatives are in absolute freefall

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... government

While I agree the Telegraph's opinion pieces are becoming increasingly unhinged and divorced from reality he must have missed this one.

Britain is going to rejoin the EU far sooner than anyone now imagines

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... -imagines/
It is time for the Leave camp to start saying the unsayable: the Tories have made such a hash of Brexit that the project is probably now unsalvageable. Given Labour’s Europhile disposition, the window to lay the foundations for Brexit Britain was always limited to the Conservatives’ current reign. Now the end is nigh, and almost nothing has been achieved.
Then there's a load of no true brexiter crap about it being everyone else's fault before...
Unsurprisingly, the polls have shifted significantly in favour of Remain: while 54 per cent now think that it was wrong to leave the EU, only 35 per cent maintain that it was the right decision.

This may not mean that voters have any appetite for rejoining yet. But if we do so, it will not be as the result of an elaborate elite conspiracy. Sir Keir Starmer’s insistence that the matter is settled may well be genuine. But the political sands are shifting in ways that make a closer relationship with the EU inevitable. The Labour Party, to secure its longevity over the next generation, still has to win back Scottish – largely Remain – votes with a big political gesture. Should support for Brexit continue to plummet in the Red Wall, a policy change may become irresistible.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

But you still have the total clowns like "Frosty" saying that the only real problem is that people just don't BELIEVE in Brexit hard enough.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 22 Jan, 2023 9:14 pm But you still have the total clowns like "Frosty" saying that the only real problem is that people just don't BELIEVE in Brexit hard enough.
The patient died because we didn't bleed him enough ! :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The serfs can believe that covid is over,

WE DO NOT .

Shhh !

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Oh, for fucks sake. Labour are cribbing slogans from Trump & Bannon

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sun 22 Jan, 2023 6:55 pm Superb article from John Harris.

Ludicrous ideas, perpetual scandal: the Conservatives are in absolute freefall

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... government

While I agree the Telegraph's opinion pieces are becoming increasingly unhinged and divorced from reality he must have missed this one.

Britain is going to rejoin the EU far sooner than anyone now imagines

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... -imagines/
" Sir Keir Starmer’s insistence that the matter is settled may well be genuine."

Very very little about him is genuine, but too late for me to continue on that . :-)

Absolutely disgraceful lack of BBC editorial oversight in this evening's edition of the obituaries "Last Word" programme .

On the late Alice Mahon MP they interviewed the disgraced MP Corbyn without mentioning the obligatory "antisemite" .
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Primal

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7394816/

If you've ever wanted to watch Nicolas Cage gingerly manoeuvre a tapir this one's for you.

In Primal, Cage plays a zoo keeper who doesn't like to play by the rules. Disenchanted by the authoritarian strictures of zoo keeping Cage strikes out on his own, illegaly hunting and trapping wild animals somewhere in South America. We first meet him when he gets into a fight with an extremely poorly animated albino jaguar. Cage then has his his haul of creatures, including the cartoon jaguar, loaded onto a cargo ship to be sold in the U.S. Unfortunately for him it turns out the ship is also transporting an insane ex-military mercenary assassin under the guard of U.S Marshals. Inevitably the crazed killer escapes and lets loose all of Cage's animals much to his chagrin.

On the Cageometer I'd have to give it 2.5/5.

As far as his beard is concerned it looks surprisingly natural for a change and the script was ok for a dumb action B-movie, allowing him to chew the scenery with gusto while grunting a lot (especially while fighting). Unfortunately at no point does Cage go crazy and the rubbish CGI animals kill disappointingly few people.

If you've got nothing better to do it's on All 4 where I just watched it (use Ublock Origin, it blocks the adverts).

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/pri ... /74231-001
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote: Sun 22 Jan, 2023 9:49 pm Oh, for fucks sake. Labour are cribbing slogans from Trump & Bannon

It was a completely legitimate phrase long before Bannon hijacked it. And should, at least arguably, be reclaimed from him.

Inventing things to get perpetually outraged about is really not helping the pro-Corbyn left.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 22 Jan, 2023 10:20 pm
refitman wrote: Sun 22 Jan, 2023 9:49 pm Oh, for fucks sake. Labour are cribbing slogans from Trump & Bannon

It was a completely legitimate phrase long before Bannon hijacked it. And should, at least arguably, be reclaimed from him.

Inventing things to get perpetually outraged about is really not helping the pro-Corbyn left.
That's as maybe, but Trump is the most recent proponent of it and it's clearly a dog-whistle. Goes nicely with their anti-trans posturing, refusal to back striking workers and rejection of anything even remotely left-leaning. See also, Keir's admission he's rather have dinner with Piers Morgan and refusal to say that the country would have been better off with Corbyn in charge after the last election.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 22 Jan, 2023 9:14 pm But you still have the total clowns like "Frosty" saying that the only real problem is that people just don't BELIEVE in Brexit hard enough.
The argument I'm mostly hearing from brexiters is that we're not seeing the benefits of brexit because of Covid and the war in Ukraine.

God knows what the next excuse will be.

Giant robot moon spiders I expect.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Settle down you two. Besides, nobody should be draining swamps these days, they're vital carbon sinks.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Speaking of Ukraine, wonder who picked up the tab for Al's visit.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I don't think its a "clear" dogwhistle at all, and it is even arguable that believing so is symptomatic of the deeply conspiratorial mindset that has taken over many Corbynite types. I can actually remember it being quite a popular phrase back in the 1990s, so gaslighting on this is not appreciated.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I had a chat with my brother today and sometime this year we shall be illegally camping on this cunts land.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -wild-camp

He's given money to the Tories, Ukip and Vote Leave so it's not like he's just got it in for wild campers, he wants to make everyone's life a misery.

In truth I've watched the whole furore with wry amusement. Undoubtedly this guy is a prize arsehole but what about the rest of England including land owned by councils? It's illegal to camp pretty much anywhere even on common land. One rich entitled prick isn't the problem, the law is. I can understand the backlash against letting people camp anywhere after seeing for myself the mess some morons left in Kielder forest during the Covid lockdowns. It was infuriating. But Scotland hasn't seen the same problem despite the right to roam and camp, apart from Loch Lomond which is within easy reach of Glasgow neds.

I dunno, maybe I don't want the law changed, barely anyone pays any attention to it anyway, I've camped right across England and Wales and never had any trouble even on the couple of occasions when I was 'caught' (park ranger in Wales, Yorkshire Water dude). Being against the law gives it a certain rebellious charm, whereas as soon as you cross the border into Scotland that sticking it to the man mystique has gone and you're just left having to deal with the midges which are much worse than any threat of legal action.

But I will camp on the cunt's land, just to make a point.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote: Sun 22 Jan, 2023 9:24 pm The serfs can believe that covid is over,

WE DO NOT .

Shhh !
It's never going to go away though Froggy. 38,000 people died of Covid in the UK last year. Including this guy, I'm reading his superb/horribly disturbing autobiography at the moment...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Lanegan

It says no cause of death was revealed but Covid put him in a coma and fucked his kidneys after years of drug and alcohol abuse.

As you know I was all for the lockdowns but we do need to live. I was supposed to be going to a venue today but wussed out because it was bloody freezing. That venue spent £25,000 on an air purifying system because they were losing so much business because people kept catching Covid there and guess what? People are still catching Covid there.

We stopped almost everything for two years and the saddest thing is my dad's old friend in his Eighties who wouldn't come to the pub anymore for his 'wee dram' ended up alone for all that time in his tiny flat until my dad found him on the floor a couple of weeks ago.

He wasted the last two years of his life terrified of the outside world.

The lockdowns were the right thing to do but let's not pretend they didn't have unpleasant consequences and surely once everyone who wants it has been vaccinated multiple times it's time to move one because frankly there's nothing else we can do.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »