Wednesday 17th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Re: Wednesday 17th December 2014

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Clwyd is shocking, and so was the decision to reselect her, though Labour's insistence on her constituency being an AWS didn't help, a right shitstorm was stirred up... End result, CLP not giving a shit about what those above wanted and voted for someone most wanted to see the back of.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Gaaaawwwd alive .... watching telly with Mr Riots is like playing a high impact sport ... with the brain.

The Apprentice semi final. I've had to explain (if that's the right word) what a 'mankini' is ... and then deal with the 'wilikini' that Solomon thought was such a wheeze and had Mr Riots nearly peeing himself. Then I had to define and summarise 'shapewear'. 'Restrictive pants' was the best I could come up with. Cue grown man sniggering like a 10 year old and 'imagine going back to her place and finding restrictive pants ... you'd need to take scissors'.

We should be paid for this excrutiating experience - well, I should at the very least.
Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

James Frith having a dingdong with Nuttall over equal pay
Frith4BuryNorth
· 29m 29 minutes ago
@DavidNuttallMP your voting record is clear David. Measures to increase apprenticeships, ensure equal pay, improve equality, all opposed.
https://twitter.com/Frith4BuryNorth/with_replies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jimmy Mubenga died under restraint by three G4S guards. Extreme racist texts found on two of the guards’ phones were withheld from the jury who yesterday cleared all three men of manslaughter. (Warning: this piece contains highly offensive language)
https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdo ... s-not-told" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Greens working on 12 seats at 2015 general election
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30516512
But which seats? It doesn't say.
This was announced ages ago - just goes to show MSM don't report on Green stuff the way they do UKIP. Embarrassed to say off the top of my head, I can't remember all 12. Brighton [natch], Bristol West, and Norwich are the top targets as I recall. Think Cambridge and St Ives were on the list too. I'll see if I can find it in my emails later.

Manners Tiz - Good evening everyone. Especially AAW. Thank you for the pic of Ed and the idea of showing it to my eldest boy. I'm reporting back now on the outcome. I showed him the pic and the conversation went something like this;

Me - Can you say what it is that is weird looking about him?
Son - He doesn't look weird in that photo.
Me - There's quite a few pics like that which aren't used by the MSM - shall I show you?
Son - Mum, I'm not saying he is weird, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm not saying people shouldn't vote for him. I'm saying he looks weird in the pictures you see and some people are so fucking stupid they probably won't vote for him because of that.
Me - Language!
Son - Sorry. But some people are that dumb. And you know that's true mum. And I don't know why you're bugging me about this when I'm not saying it's a reason not to vote for him but like I say, it will stop some fu er, some idiots.
Me - I know you aren't that dumb love. And I'm not meaning to bug you. I simply don't think he is weird looking so I'm trying to understand.
Son - Well, it's because the pictures of him in the papers etc all seem to be of him looking weird. Mind you, no one seems to worry about Boris looking weird 'cos the papers all tell us what a card he is - good ol bumbling Boris eh? Whereas in fact he's actually a c*nt and so is Farage!

[I won't bore you here with the parent and son discussion regarding swearing - he's almost 20 years old plus his father uses swear words almost every other word so I'm fighting a rear guard action]

Anyway, the discussion ended with son agreeing that quite possibly it is the pictures the MSM choose to use of Ed, along with the narrative that he 'looks weird' that is feeding the Ed looks weird story. Whereas with Boris and Farage, they employ a different narrative.

I am not photogenic myself - in photo's I nearly always look bloody awful. But I do know in real life I'm just normal looking. Plus I scrub up OK. Most of the few photo's of me that I think look OK are ones taken when I wasn't aware. So, my theory is that Ed also isn't particularly photogenic and the MSM are choosing the least flattering pics they can. In real life he may be very attractive looking - not that it actually matters either way. But my son is correct that it will influence some peoples thinking. If I were Lucy Powell, I would be getting as many of the more relaxed 'normal' [sorry can't think of a better way of saying it] pics out as possible. The MSM won't play ball so it has to be on Social Media - as indeed many people are doing. I also think she is right in saying Ed should do more meeting people in person.

I seem to be back in Watermelon mode! :o
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Clwyd is shocking, and so was the decision to reselect her, though Labour's insistence on her constituency being an AWS didn't help, a right shitstorm was stirred up... End result, CLP not giving a shit about what those above wanted and voted for someone most wanted to see the back of.
Evening all.

Constituents don't want her either - I grew up there and most of my family still live there. I have never heard anyone say a good word about her! She'll get voted back in though, because of people voting for the party, not her.
She's done nothing for the Cynon Valley in the past 20 years and will do nothing in the next 5.

She represents one of the poorest areas of the UK, yet had the audacity, in 2010, to say this about the new expenses regime:
“I haven’t yet screamed or shouted or banged my table, but I’m really getting to the point that, I have to say, I would not have come back into this Parliament if I’d realised what a hassle this system has meant for me and my staff.

“I would not have returned.”
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local ... yd-1905632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a woman who earns more than 3 times the median wage of the area she represents complaining about how hard it is for her.
I hate her. :(
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:There you are yahyah, what a numpty, has anyone got any figures on food bank useage in Ceredigion?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't know about that one letsskip. But, perhaps even more relevant, I seem to remember that Ceredigion had the lowest number of 1 bedroom properties available for people affected by the bedroom tax to downsize to ... rural properties aren't usually 1 bedroom. That might be worth checking out.

Editing to add:
http://leftfootforward.org/2013/04/the- ... mmunities/
The report, based on a survey of Welsh local authorities and compiled by BBC Wales economics correspondent Sarah Dickins, shows that across the country more than 28,000 people are in social housing that is considered under-occupied as a result of having spare rooms.
However, there are just under 400 one-bedroom homes to move to. In four council areas – Ceredigion, Blaenau Gwent, Monmouthshire and Torfaen – there are, the report notes, “no one-bedroom houses available with local housing associations”.
Coupled with the 70,000 families or individuals currently on the social housing waiting list in Wales, the devastation being imposed on Wales by the bedroom tax is clear for all to see.
Exactly the same problem in my borough, and which I spoke out about in public meetings. If you can't downsize your dwelling, then the whole thing becomes an utter mockery on top of the wanton cruelty and violation of the HRA that it was all along. Forcible resettlement? The only difference is that it's at the barrel of a financial gun. Cruel and bestial from a governmen that's cornered the market on persecuting the poor and helpless. I can hardly articulate how much I hate the bastards.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:Jimmy Mubenga died under restraint by three G4S guards. Extreme racist texts found on two of the guards’ phones were withheld from the jury who yesterday cleared all three men of manslaughter. (Warning: this piece contains highly offensive language)
https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdo ... s-not-told" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've asked a lawyer friend of mine to point me to something decent on the topic.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

WelshIan wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Clwyd is shocking, and so was the decision to reselect her, though Labour's insistence on her constituency being an AWS didn't help, a right shitstorm was stirred up... End result, CLP not giving a shit about what those above wanted and voted for someone most wanted to see the back of.
Evening all.

Constituents don't want her either - I grew up there and most of my family still live there. I have never heard anyone say a good word about her! She'll get voted back in though, because of people voting for the party, not her.
She's done nothing for the Cynon Valley in the past 20 years and will do nothing in the next 5.

She represents one of the poorest areas of the UK, yet had the audacity, in 2010, to say this about the new expenses regime:
“I haven’t yet screamed or shouted or banged my table, but I’m really getting to the point that, I have to say, I would not have come back into this Parliament if I’d realised what a hassle this system has meant for me and my staff.

“I would not have returned.”
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local ... yd-1905632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a woman who earns more than 3 times the median wage of the area she represents complaining about how hard it is for her.
I hate her. :(
Well said, horrendous woman.. If she had an ounce of class she would walked away and stayed away, her fucking ego won't allow it..
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Sorry for language, ok I am not, but she winds me up a treat, neighbouring constituency, she'd rather talk about Iraq and being Blair's poodle than what goes on under her nose..
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Just to ask - what has happened to Hermione Gingold on CIF and BTL at the G? Is it just me not spotting any posts from her ... or has she disappeared?
Hermione posted only last night on the surprisingly lovely Lindy West column about her late father and how central he was to her Xmas's. I recommend a read, it really is a beautiful piece.
The truth ferret speaks!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tizme1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Greens working on 12 seats at 2015 general election
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30516512
But which seats? It doesn't say.
This was announced ages ago - just goes to show MSM don't report on Green stuff the way they do UKIP. Embarrassed to say off the top of my head, I can't remember all 12. Brighton [natch], Bristol West, and Norwich are the top targets as I recall. Think Cambridge and St Ives were on the list too. I'll see if I can find it in my emails later.

Manners Tiz - Good evening everyone. Especially AAW. Thank you for the pic of Ed and the idea of showing it to my eldest boy. I'm reporting back now on the outcome. I showed him the pic and the conversation went something like this;

Me - Can you say what it is that is weird looking about him?
Son - He doesn't look weird in that photo.
Me - There's quite a few pics like that which aren't used by the MSM - shall I show you?
Son - Mum, I'm not saying he is weird, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm not saying people shouldn't vote for him. I'm saying he looks weird in the pictures you see and some people are so fucking stupid they probably won't vote for him because of that.
Me - Language!
Son - Sorry. But some people are that dumb. And you know that's true mum. And I don't know why you're bugging me about this when I'm not saying it's a reason not to vote for him but like I say, it will stop some fu er, some idiots.
Me - I know you aren't that dumb love. And I'm not meaning to bug you. I simply don't think he is weird looking so I'm trying to understand.
Son - Well, it's because the pictures of him in the papers etc all seem to be of him looking weird. Mind you, no one seems to worry about Boris looking weird 'cos the papers all tell us what a card he is - good ol bumbling Boris eh? Whereas in fact he's actually a c*nt and so is Farage!

[I won't bore you here with the parent and son discussion regarding swearing - he's almost 20 years old plus his father uses swear words almost every other word so I'm fighting a rear guard action]

Anyway, the discussion ended with son agreeing that quite possibly it is the pictures the MSM choose to use of Ed, along with the narrative that he 'looks weird' that is feeding the Ed looks weird story. Whereas with Boris and Farage, they employ a different narrative.

I am not photogenic myself - in photo's I nearly always look bloody awful. But I do know in real life I'm just normal looking. Plus I scrub up OK. Most of the few photo's of me that I think look OK are ones taken when I wasn't aware. So, my theory is that Ed also isn't particularly photogenic and the MSM are choosing the least flattering pics they can. In real life he may be very attractive looking - not that it actually matters either way. But my son is correct that it will influence some peoples thinking. If I were Lucy Powell, I would be getting as many of the more relaxed 'normal' [sorry can't think of a better way of saying it] pics out as possible. The MSM won't play ball so it has to be on Social Media - as indeed many people are doing. I also think she is right in saying Ed should do more meeting people in person.

I seem to be back in Watermelon mode! :o
Thanks for that (and thanks to your son as well) it pretty much sums up what I was trying to say, if the press drum it in hard enough people will let their own eyes lie to them (not your son, but the kind of people he's talking about).
Once the election starts proper (date was in that BBC election consultation I posted the other night - which I've forgotten!) things "might" - fingers crossed - improve as the balance on programming will mean all Labour front bench will get a better hearing. (Well I can live in Hope). That applies to the Greens as well.
As for Ed getting out and about, he does already, it just doesn't make the main stream
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Intriguing, or maybe not?

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/12/t ... avid-pugh/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Sorry for language, ok I am not, but she winds me up a treat, neighbouring constituency, she'd rather talk about Iraq and being Blair's poodle than what goes on under her nose..
I deleted all the swearing out of my post before pressing submit - it took a while. :D
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

WelshIan wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Sorry for language, ok I am not, but she winds me up a treat, neighbouring constituency, she'd rather talk about Iraq and being Blair's poodle than what goes on under her nose..
I deleted all the swearing out of my post before pressing submit - it took a while. :D
I'm a ''valley girl'' ;) well less of a girl, and sometimes it shows..

:D
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Christ it's warm tonight, up at 5.30 and too warm to sleep, bloody gas companies will be moaning next..
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory chairman Grant Shapps accused of trying to silence left-wing blog with 'spurious' legal threats
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 31865.html
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Is Stroud one of them, Tizme?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

refitman wrote:@Ernst - this is a reminder to post that thing you posted last night.
Thank you Dan, I'd forgotten of course, being both absent minded and beset by a belligerent 8 year old. Here it is. If necessary, and I suspect it might be at this time of night, I'll repost tomorrow, as this is a subject with which I have a great interest:

"With reference to my post above, I'm going to start a subject, and perhaps this is the wrong time of day and the wrong thread, but I'd be interested to know:

How are YOU involved in politics?

We've spent a little time here (well I have) calling out the armchair warriors and those too self-satisfied to actually do much other than spout off down the pub. I'd really like to hear from people how they got involved, how they are involved, and, if you lurkers don't mind, what it is that puts you off getting involved politically.

I'm not working up a thesis, I just want to know what it is that people find so awful about politics (which, let's face it, essentially dictates much of their future) that they'd rather let other people do it for them."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Montgomerie ن @montie · 44m 44 minutes ago
Tories and Labour tied on 33% in tonight's @YouGov poll. I can't see the Conservatives losing the popular vote come May.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Christ it's warm tonight, up at 5.30 and too warm to sleep, bloody gas companies will be moaning next..
Bizarrely it's supposed to get warmer throughout the night, letsskip. Don't know what we're supposed to be able to do to deal with that ...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Excellent piece by Seumas Milne

Deficit mania and balanced budgets are a political fraud

http://gu.com/p/44av8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:There is still some kindness left in the country, lovely young man, but this should never have been allowed to happen in "our" country. I'm stuck between tears for the family and smiles for the young man.

Homeless kids eat first meal in TWO DAYS after Christmas market stall holder dished up free food
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ho ... al-4825773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's staggering isn't it?

In the 21st century, in Great Britain, we apparently cannot run a society where families go without food for days on end, and that it takes the generosity and kindness - the charity - of a market trader in Manchester to call it to a halt.

I can only assume that this is what "Dave" meant when he invoked the Big Society: get a kind stranger to help you, because we fucking well won't, and if you starve to death, so much the better in terms of the homeless figures; we can fiddle the mortality figures later on when no-one's looking.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:James Frith having a dingdong with Nuttall over equal pay
Frith4BuryNorth
· 29m 29 minutes ago
@DavidNuttallMP your voting record is clear David. Measures to increase apprenticeships, ensure equal pay, improve equality, all opposed.
https://twitter.com/Frith4BuryNorth/with_replies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For once, Frith's got it right, but faced with an extremist right wing wanker like David Nuttall, you'd have to be the worst PPC in the world not to hit the back of the net.

Ask Frith about academies, I dare you.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Just back from Olympia watching Charlotte Dujardin and Valegro set yet another World Record for Grand Prix Freestyle to Music of 94.300% :dance: :rock:

Dad finally admitted to hosp at lunchtime having spent the night in A&E Quiet Ward and has relaxed into their safe hands – infection on top of CLL had floored him. I am not doing badly for four-and-a-half-hours of sleep ;) Now going to read from the beginning, as per usual.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Well it's late now, but if you are wondering about a certain lack of warmth about Labour following today's bedroom tax events please PM me. I've some questions too.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:James Frith having a dingdong with Nuttall over equal pay
Frith4BuryNorth
· 29m 29 minutes ago
For once, Frith's got it right, but faced with an extremist right wing wanker like David Nuttall, you'd have to be the worst PPC in the world not to hit the back of the net.

Ask Frith about academies, I dare you.
Hopefully, won't be up to him, if Labour win. Councils opening schools again, not him.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Is Stroud one of them, Tizme?
It doesn't ring a bell Tubby. I've just done an email search for 'Stroud' and it hasn't turned anything up. I know I have the list somewhere so I will try to hunt it out. Tbh I'm dealing with chaos in my home due to a major leak, huge problems with my mother, and, I've recently landed up taking on the role of Chair of our local Green party and having to basically rebuild the party locally. Not to mention trying to find actual paid employment!
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.