Wednesday 17th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
mikems
Minister of State

Re: Wednesday 17th December 2014

Post by mikems »

The two things aren't mutually exclusive you know.
No, but there are plenty of examples of the one, but none at all of the other, as far as I can make out. Plenty of accusations and innuendo, but no actual cases of left-wingers using racism against Jews.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Anyone know if Ohso is OK? Think I haven't seen her on FTN for a few days now ...
Working on the wild side.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Anyone know if Ohso is OK? Think I haven't seen her on FTN for a few days now ...
Not heard from her on Twitter either
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

danesclose wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Anyone know if Ohso is OK? Think I haven't seen her on FTN for a few days now ...
Could someone who follows her on Twitter DM her to see if she's OK? I'm not sure how these things work ... and not on Twitter.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
danesclose wrote:
Could someone who follows her on Twitter DM her to see if she's OK? I'm not sure how these things work ... and not on Twitter.
DM sent.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
danesclose wrote:
I've DM'd her from the FTN account.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kerry McCarthy MP ‏@KerryMP 3m3 minutes ago London
In chamber for Labour's #Bedroomtax debate. Lib Dems claim to now oppose it, so will they be voting with us?
Of course not Kerry. They'll be true to form and oppose or abstain from voting on the Labour EDM ...

And I was quite peed off to see Caron Lindsay suggesting that the rumoured rethink by Grayling on some of his judicial review restrictions is down to Lib Dem MPs ............... the barstewards voted for them, all but Sarah Teather. She seems to want to pretend it's all going on behind the scenes and it's all down to Lib Dems. As I recall it has been rebel Tories that have been far braver and more outspoken re this awful bill - both in the Lords and Commons. And it goes without saying that Labour are opposing it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
danesclose wrote: Not heard from her on Twitter either
I've DM'd her from the FTN account.
Thank you refit.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
danesclose wrote: Not heard from her on Twitter either
DM sent.
Now we're spamming her :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kerry McCarthy MP ‏@KerryMP 1m1 minute ago London
There are two Lib Dems on the chamber and one - Steve Webb - is here because he's a DWP minister. Andrew George only one here voluntarily.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I was just wondering about her well-being, too.

Good afternoon, everyone. I'm being rather non-contributory here of late - for various reasons - but I'm following your posts so far as is possible. I'm rather reliant on them for brain food and sanity.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just noticed that I'm still Chief Whip. I'm touched. I'd have thought that by now I'd have been demoted - possibly even to the level of Guardian Political Editor.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The election campaigns are starting to take shape, with the Tories taking a sharp turn to the right with their small statism. The 1930s analogy has really rattled them though because, as a % of GDP, it's true. There's a really good article at the Huff Post explaining the contradictory claims on this which I've bookmarked, as Osborne has really cocked up and the Tories will soon be back-peddling like crazy trying to paint their plans as far more moderate than they really are. A few facts will expose them, however:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... 08198.html
James Meadway, economist at the New Economics Foundation: warns: "The implication is that every part of government outside of the protected areas will be cut in a way that I don't believe has happened outside of the ends of major wars.

"Cutting spending per head, outside of the protected areas, by more than half means making serious inroads into what we think a government does."
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

It's Guido, so I'll spare you the link. However, Mark Reckless is being sued by his constituency association!

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

DonutHingeParty wrote:It's Guido, so I'll spare you the link. However, Mark Reckless is being sued by his constituency association!

Another act in the Brian Rix farce.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:

I was just wondering about her well-being, too.

Good afternoon, everyone. I'm being rather non-contributory here of late - for various reasons - but I'm following your posts so far as is possible. I'm rather reliant on them for brain food and sanity.
Good to hear from you PF. Had noticed you being a bit quiet of late - hope you are OK and FTN continues to reach the parts that need reaching.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Migrant overstayer figures swell to more than 300,000, watchdog reveals
Damning report by chief inspector of borders and migration details hidden backlog of 223,600 pre-2009 cases

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... og-reveals
I wonder if they hoped that this wouldn't get noticed if it was released on the same day as the shiny employment figures (I have to call them that - but we all know they are nothing of the kind really - bear very little relation to our real worlds).

This is utterly damning of May and the Home Office.
Vine added that, of the 120,000 cases sent to Capita for them to contact, fewer than 1% had left the country as a result of their intervention.

Wednesday’s publication follows the release last week of his report on citizenship, which showed that even killers had been given British passports because of lax Home Office character checks.

Vine is leaving the chief inspector’s job at the end of December, seven months early, after a row with Theresa May, the home secretary, over delays in her decisions to publish his reports. He has secured assurance from her that she will aim to publish them within eight weeks in future.

His concerns that May’s decision to take control of publication might mean his reports were not published promptly, so reducing their impact, had proved correct, he said.
Yet again I'm left wondering how a minister gets away with such serial incompetence and fiddling with due process. And then I suppose that it's probably all part of the plan. They need this long run of increasing crappiness and poor service with no consequence to totally wear us down before their 'real' cuts begin and there is virtually nothing left standing that can properly be called a public service ... If you cut staff and resources from the Borders Agency and Home Office like the ConDems have ... you can't expect services to be sustained let alone improved - and giving this job to Capita ... well

One of the Tory spokespeople said re the autumn statement and level of future cuts anticipated that it's not like people's worlds have fallen in ... well a) he's obviously not looking at the right places and people ... and b) if that's their measure, god help us.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kerry McCarthy MP ‏@KerryMP 3m3 minutes ago
Steve Webb does rather bring to mind Bevan's phrase, "dessicated calculating-machine". Currently defending bedroom tax with lots of numbers.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Karl Turner MP ‏@KarlTurnerMP 12m12 minutes ago
If I'd been called in PMQs would have asked about #FailingGrayling "Crime Dual Contracts". Didn't so written to him.
KarlTurnerLetterToCameronOnGraylingDualContracts.jpg
KarlTurnerLetterToCameronOnGraylingDualContracts.jpg (57.03 KiB) Viewed 12318 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Williamson ‏@ChriswMP 5m5 minutes ago
Can't see any LibDem MPs in the division lobby in favour of scrapping the hated bedroom tax.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Man rings police after neighbour posts "creepy" picture of Cliff Richard in his window
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11669029 ... is_window/
Priceless reporting.

Thank you to Paul Linford Lib Dem blogger for the link.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith @BBCNormanS · 4m 4 minutes ago
Labour lose Commons motion opposing #bedroomtax 266 v 298
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Oh. That's Christmas ruined for the big-hearted LibDems, then. And they tried so hard . . . .
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Kerry McCarthy MP ‏@KerryMP 3m3 minutes ago
Steve Webb does rather bring to mind Bevan's phrase, "dessicated calculating-machine". Currently defending bedroom tax with lots of numbers.
He's supposedly "on the left of the party". Though having lasted the full term with IDS rather suggests he isn't. What he's basically done is spend money on cuddly pensioners and less on working age very poor.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Q.What is lower than "lower than vermin?".Rhetorical question.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Oh. That's Christmas ruined for the big-hearted LibDems, then. And they tried so hard . . . .
They did so, didn't they. Apparently this debate and vote clashed with Jeremy Thorpe's funeral ... that's one of the excuses anyway. But those that were there voted with the Tories to keep the bedroom tax.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
They did so, didn't they. Apparently this debate and vote clashed with Jeremy Thorpe's funeral ... that's one of the excuses anyway. But those that were there voted with the Tories to keep the bedroom tax.
But they are going to oppose it come next year's GE campaign, so that's OK then :toss:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

In case you all need a little perking up ...
Natalie Rowe @RealNatalieRowe · 20h 20 hours ago
I have no regrets really, but if I did....it would be to have Whipped Osborne while in his rubber pants a lot effing harder and no mercy !
She's always entertaining.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Perhaps I'm missing something but I really can't understand folk on Twitter complaining about Labour's handling of the Bedroom Tax.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

... when Farage arrived at the £3.5 million Grade I listed mansion owned by the duo, Mrs Parker asked of the pronunciation of Farage’s name: “Is it like Fa-rage, ga-rage or fr-idge?”, the MEP answered: “As long as they vote for me, that’s what matters”. From here on in, it was downhill all the way.

In the coming minutes, accompanied by music such as XTC’s Making Plans for Nigel, Mr Parker managed to sprayed beer over Farage’s trousers. Then when the politician subsequently spilt wine on himself after tripping on a step, Mrs Parker produced a pair of leather trousers for him to borrow whilst her staff pressed the politician’s damp parts. Instead, when he opted to borrow Mr Parker’s jeans, the hostess quipped:

“I’ve given him some old ripped jeans… I think he should wear them in Europe… He looks like a f**king member of Bros”...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something but I really can't understand folk on Twitter complaining about Labour's handling of the Bedroom Tax.
I don't think it's you missing something.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Rumours sweeping parts of the 'net that betting has been suspended on Brenda abdicating after her Christmas speech was "leaked" :o

I don't believe it myself, mind.......
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

[youtube]4Fqj9VPMG7I[/youtube]
The Apprentice 2015 by those cheeky people at Huffington Post - obviously not the views of the BBC
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Rumours sweeping parts of the 'net that betting has been suspended on Brenda abdicating after her Christmas speech was "leaked" :o

If it's true hope it doesn't interfere with the general election campaigning.
Wouldn't put it past Buck House to try and give cousin Dave a hand by drumming up some jingoism about a new monarch.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lisa Nandy ‏@lisanandy 6m6 minutes ago
Absolute, utter refusal by the Minister to accept that foodbank use has exploded because of his government's choices.

Kerry McCarthy MP ‏@KerryMP 11m11 minutes ago
@TrussellTrust are sanctions included under delays? Got constituent at moment who's just been sanctioned for 3 months, not a penny for food.

The Trussell Trust
‏@TrussellTrust
@KerryMP Sanctions come under benefit delays or benefit changes. #Foodbanks across the UK are seeing many people struggling with sanctions

Kerry McCarthy MP ‏@KerryMP 5m5 minutes ago
@TrussellTrust we've just been trying to get minister to acknowledge that - he won't.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

[quote]Alex Andreou ‏@sturdyAlex 2h2 hours ago
Because I'm really tired of seeing that annoying blog:

An Open Letter in Reply to An Open Letter to Russell Brand. pic.twitter.com/zCIiq8GvI3
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Wed 17 Dec, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Rumours sweeping parts of the 'net that betting has been suspended on Brenda abdicating after her Christmas speech was "leaked" :o

If it's true hope it doesn't interfere with the general election campaigning.
Wouldn't put it past Buck House to try and give cousin Dave a hand by drumming up some jingoism about a new monarch.
Not so much if it is going to be Charles III (or whatever it is) though. King "Wills" (ugh) might be a different matter but that ain't happening soon barring *extremely* unexpected events.

As said, I don't believe it though - reminds me of the "Queen Mum dead" rumours that periodically swept thru Guardian Talk in the good old days :)

(until it actually *was* true, when it was announced officially without anybody "breaking" it first - interestingly)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour Whips ‏@labourwhips 2m2 minutes ago
See how each @LibDem voted on @UKLabour motion to abolish the #bedroomtax Absent ALEXANDER, Danny, Mr (cont) http://tl.gd/n_1sj8t0q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sj8t0q
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kerry McCarthy MP ‏@KerryMP 8m8 minutes ago London
Hopelessly ill-informed speech in from Tory MP for Morecambe attacking @TrussellTrust stats. Sooner @Amina_Lone takes over the better.
That's the spirit.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Tish wrote:Those charmers Liam Fox and Owen Patterson have been giving speeches to a Tory fringe group called The London Swinton Circle who've published all manner of delightful articles on their website, including:

How mass repatriation to Africa could be justified
How child abuse has become a "business" for immigrants
How Black Britons are "colonists" seeking to destroy the British identity
How “without a husband a woman is but a sexual object to be shared around”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... mmigration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Presumably they're both looking to shore up support from the crazy brigade of the party in preparation for any leadership bid.

Not forgetting that a single woman is a sexual object to passed around!

Christ, you only have to scratch below the surface and find links between Tories and associations and clubs like that, they never fail do they, wonder when Philip Davies is giving a star turn?
I had to laugh at some of the posts BTL. "You've got to have these views openly expressed before you can challenge, honestly."

Er, no. I see in my mind's eye John Humphrys (for it is he) sat in a studio at about 7.30am after the obligatory jokey sports journalists report (which wasn't even remote funny, but was massively patronising) wheeling in two people to seriously discuss some barking idea - let's grab one at random from above, let's do the mass repatriation one.

So, there's good ol' John, holding the line of BBC impartiality whilst giving time to an idea - and probably treating it seriously - and letting its advocate have a good long say in favour of the idea. Come the opposing view, John will sagely chip in with bon mots: "but lots of people surely feel this way, don't they?", "After all, he's only basing it on previous policy, isn't he?" and "But surely, many of them would like to go back, wouldn't they?" (I can hear his voice now).

Essentially, adjudicating craply on a debate that should never take place, either behind closed doors a la Swinton, or in public, and not on R4, or anywhere else that is a public broadcaster. There's too much of this sort of batshit thinking that's given equal opportunity by the BBC, rather than saying, no, that's a thoroughly shit idea thought up by mad, dangerous people who need watching closely. Their every attempt to have a reasoned debate on subjects like it - particularly when chaired by Today presenters who are hardly scions of reason, intellect and probing discursive debate - and even more insane propositions is one reason why I'm not a huge fan of Today and programmes of its ilk.

I'd rather call racism and fascism out for what they are, and let those proposing such idiocy actually try to prove why it's neither, but with, instead, presenters giving factual examples from the past of racist and fascist groups/governments who've proposed or enacted the self same ideas.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
See how each @LibDem voted on @UKLabour motion to abolish the #bedroomtax Absent ALEXANDER, Danny, Mr (cont) http://tl.gd/n_1sj8t0q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see Mark Williams managed to be absent.

Can anyone help me with a pithy question to ask him via email about his lack of support for it ?
He has tried to show himself a maverick, and opposed to the bedroom tax in the past.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Tish wrote:Those charmers Liam Fox and Owen Patterson have been giving speeches to a Tory fringe group called The London Swinton Circle who've published all manner of delightful articles on their website, including:

How mass repatriation to Africa could be justified
How child abuse has become a "business" for immigrants
How Black Britons are "colonists" seeking to destroy the British identity
How “without a husband a woman is but a sexual object to be shared around”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... mmigration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Presumably they're both looking to shore up support from the crazy brigade of the party in preparation for any leadership bid.

Christ, you only have to scratch below the surface and find links between Tories and associations and clubs like that, they never fail do they, wonder when Philip Davies is giving a star turn?
I had to laugh at some of the posts BTL. "You've got to have these views openly expressed before you can challenge, honestly."

Er, no. I see in my mind's eye John Humphrys (for it is he) sat in a studio at about 7.30am after the obligatory jokey sports journalists report (which wasn't even remote funny, but was massively patronising) wheeling in two people to seriously discuss some barking idea - let's grab one at random from above, let's do the mass repatriation one.

So, there's good ol' John, holding the line of BBC impartiality whilst giving time to an idea - and probably treating it seriously - and letting its advocate have a good long say in favour of the idea. Come the opposing view, John will sagely chip in with bon mots: "but lots of people surely feel this way, don't they?", "After all, he's only basing it on previous policy, isn't he?" and "But surely, many of them would like to go back, wouldn't they?" (I can hear his voice now).

Essentially, adjudicating craply on a debate that should never take place, either behind closed doors a la Swinton, or in public, and not on R4, or anywhere else that is a public broadcaster. There's too much of this sort of batshit thinking that's given equal opportunity by the BBC, rather than saying, no, that's a thoroughly shit idea thought up by mad, dangerous people who need watching closely. Their every attempt to have a reasoned debate on subjects like it - particularly when chaired by Today presenters who are hardly scions of reason, intellect and probing discursive debate - and even more insane propositions is one reason why I'm not a huge fan of Today and programmes of its ilk.

I'd rather call racism and fascism out for what they are, and let those proposing such idiocy actually try to prove why it's neither, but with, instead, presenters giving factual examples from the past of racist and fascist groups/governments who've proposed or enacted the self same ideas.
A thousand thanks/recommends for that one Ernst. I can hear Humphry's voice too.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Can anyone help me with a pithy question to ask him via email about his lack of support for it ?
He has tried to show himself a maverick, and opposed to the bedroom tax in the past.
He has done the same with other issues yahyah ... Maybe you could formulate something re as his reasoning seem to be based on being two faced is he going to claim he couldn't support Labour's motion because it didn't only apply to double bedrooms? Sorry, got no time for the man - as you can tell.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Wonder what the Stepford kids on Lib Dem Voice think of todays bedroom tax vote?

Think I will go and have a look? :toss:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:

He has done the same with other issues yahyah ... Maybe you could formulate something re as his reasoning seem to be based on being two faced is he going to claim he couldn't support Labour's motion because it didn't only apply to double bedrooms? Sorry, got no time for the man - as you can tell.

He had time to meet a goat in Cardigan last week.

letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Wonder what the Stepford kids on Lib Dem Voice think of todays bedroom tax vote?

Think I will go and have a look? :toss:

What a surprise, sweet fuck all, gay marriage, torture, brought to you by Tim Farron, I can really imagine the CIA bricking it at the thought of Tim writing a piece, and the gentrification of East London, which has been helped along by the benefit cap, irony not Lib Dems strongest point I guess?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:

A thousand thanks/recommends for that one Ernst. I can hear Humphry's voice too.
Thanks Rioty, much appreciated. I'd very much like to hear Nick Robinson's analysis, post discussion - I wonder if he's still on FTN and posting those magnificent screeds that we saw not so long ago? Here's hoping!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Sarky tweet sent, not expecting a reply anytime soon.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I see that my MP, the lickspittle Duncan Hames, the man who campaigned last time as "the only one who can keep the Tories out" managed to vote against.
This on the same day I come home from work to find a letter from him stating how "different" he is from the Tories & from Labour (he even used the "Labour admitted there was no money left" line). Words cannot fully describe my scorn for this worthless piece of shit. :fire: :toss:
In 4 1/2 years in Parliament he has yet to vote against the government. Fortunately he'll be out on his arse come May. Unfortunately it'll be the Tory who wins.

Apologies for the rant - crap day in the office. How was your day?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Is this his reply ?

Mark Williams ‏@mark4ceredigion 57s seconds ago
Not absent. Deliberate abstention. Labour introduced bedroom tax for private rental sector in 2008 @5naini Not good enough. (1/2)

Can someone tweet him and point out that wasn't applicable to people who already were already renting, only to new rental agreements so people didn't get clobbered for what they were already living in.