Monday 30th January 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Monday 30th January 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 30th January 2023

Post by frog222 »

Morning refit
Good one by Edward Lucas on the libel&defamation industry -
Thirteen years on, I still wake up in a cold sweat. Legal bills were rocketing, with millions of pounds at stake if we lost. Our billionaire adversary enjoyed, we had alleged, close Kremlin connections, with all the dark arts that implies. True or not, vital witnesses were scared. So was I.

By the standards of most libel cases, I was lucky. Unlike my friend Catherine Belton (author of Putin’s People and now, deservedly, an MBE), I was not being sued personally. The case was settled satisfactorily. But it was a scarringly close shave. I remain muzzled on the details, and unhappily aware of how easily the wealthy, powerful and unscrupulous can avoid scrutiny.

The revelation that London lawyers gained exemption from sanctions to help a Russian warlord, Evgeny Prigozhin, in a failed attempt to silence Eliot Higgins, the British founder of the Bellingcat open-source investigative journalism collective, is just one illustration of this. So too was Nadhim Zahawi’s attempt to intimidate Dan Neidle, a tax policy campaigner who first investigated the former minister’s offshore financial arrangements.
Dan Neidle: When I said Zahawi owed the taxman, he set his lawyers on me
Zahawi’s legal tactics alone should have spelt his downfall. A politician should deal with questions openly, not resort to legal cudgels. These included intimidating letters marked “strictly private and confidential”. Luckily, Neidle is himself a lawyer. He published the letters, revealing the blusteringly empty nature of Zahawi’s defence, and the “fibs” (his term) it contained. The false claims — for example that Zahawi was not under HMRC investigation — look even worse now. Lawyers must not lie for their clients.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the- ... -3xvskknp8
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Zahawi now reportedly saying he wants to issue an official defence of his actions <gets out popcorn, again>
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Ah well, maybe Labour people suggesting this inquiry had to happen wasn't such a hare-brained scheme after all.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"