Friday 19th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Friday 19th December 2014

Post by Spacedone »

LAB lead moves to 5% in today's YouGov poll for the Sun

LAB 35 (+2)
CON 30 (-3)
UKIP 16 (=)
GRNS 8 (+1)
LD 6 (-2)

The weighting of this poll seems to be more in favour of Labour than most recent YouGov polls so probably call it an outlier. A nice outlier though. :clap:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Friday 19th December 2014

Post by StephenDolan »

Spacedone wrote:LAB lead moves to 5% in today's YouGov poll for the Sun

LAB 35 (+2)
CON 30 (-3)
UKIP 16 (=)
GRNS 8 (+1)
LD 6 (-2)

The weighting of this poll seems to be more in favour of Labour than most recent YouGov polls so probably call it an outlier. A nice outlier though. :clap:
Loving the Green v Lib Dems VI, cherry on the cake!

This election is going to be interesting for so many reasons. One I've been mulling over recently is how the older traditional Lib Dem voters (ie pre 2010, not those on loan from Labour), that saw them as the left wing protest vote, will be voting. Drawn to the Greens, UKIP(!) or stay with the Lib Dems.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Will Porter retweeted
john spellar ‏@spellar 31m31 minutes ago
RT @LilianGreenwood: Ollerton (Notts) vote result:
LAB - 1171
CON - 533
UKIP - 347
LDEM - 24" > yes, Lib Dems really did get just 1.2%
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all. This isn't very complimentary to the Lib Dems is it? :lol:
Tories raise funds for further poll soon after general election in May
Party to make contingencies in case hung parliament - and aversion to another coalition - prompts second election

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... l-election
I'm a duffer at these constitutional matters but ... if Labour and Conservative both got exactly the same number of seats ... what would happen? Who would get the right to have first dibs at forming a govt - coalition or minority? Would it be the party with the largest number of votes overall, or the incumbent (stake through the heart symbol here)?
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:
Spacedone wrote:LAB lead moves to 5% in today's YouGov poll for the Sun

LAB 35 (+2)
CON 30 (-3)
UKIP 16 (=)
GRNS 8 (+1)
LD 6 (-2)

Loving the Green v Lib Dems VI, cherry on the cake!

This election is going to be interesting for so many reasons. One I've been mulling over recently is how the older traditional Lib Dem voters (ie pre 2010, not those on loan from Labour), that saw them as the left wing protest vote, will be voting. Drawn to the Greens, UKIP(!) or stay with the Lib Dems.
I know 3 declared / out older Lib Dems. Of those ... 2 are utterly disgusted with them ... won't be voting for them in 2015 but certainly won't be voting for Tory or Ukip either ... so will depend on the seat where they are whether they vote Green, Labour or don't bother at all. The other - I don't know really well - but it appears would vote for Lib Dem despite all, but is almost too embarrassed to tell anyone they are a Lib Dem supporter. I certainly didn't know they were when they attended a little Labour get together with their partner 'because they wanted to meet Paul' and it was a social.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Osborne's pay rise for his pal going down well I see.
john spellar ‏@spellar 2m2 minutes ago
MT @DPMcBride This is crazy: in No10 alone, there are 16 SpAds who earn more than I did working there. I bet they take their holidays too.”

tom_watson retweeted
Damian McBride ‏@DPMcBride 26m26 minutes ago
Blimey, Special Advisers get paid a lot these days. I count 52 who get more than the wedge I was on. Craig Oliver gets 2.5 times as much.

john spellar ‏@spellar 2m2 minutes ago
Osborne's top adviser gets 18% PAY RISE ,yet Govt refuse to pay nurses 1% http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-harrison" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

The Independent: 'David Cameron told Theresa May's advisers 'to break Civil Service code'

Daily Mail headline it as:
''Sir Cover-up in row over bending rules: Cabinet Secretary at centre of claims office allowed special advisers to campaign in Rochester by-election

Sir Jeremy Heywood at centre of claims his office let advisers campaign
Likely to prompt questions from opposition MPs about bending rules''
and have it way down the page online.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Guido Fawkes says
''Today is the day election spending rules kick in and the campaign for 2015 officially begins.''
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Morning.

The Independent: 'David Cameron told Theresa May's advisers 'to break Civil Service code'

Daily Mail headline it as:
''Sir Cover-up in row over bending rules: Cabinet Secretary at centre of claims office allowed special advisers to campaign in Rochester by-election

Sir Jeremy Heywood at centre of claims his office let advisers campaign
Likely to prompt questions from opposition MPs about bending rules''
and have it way down the page online.
Someone on here last night - can't remember who - made the comparison with the Falkirk story.... So we can expect massive headlines and spin off spin stories for weeks, can't we?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Via Mike Smithson, latest from Prof. Stephen Fisher

edited: to remove too large a pic, have re-posted it smaller below.
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 19 Dec, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Does this pic work better on the page, will delete the other if it does

Last edited by yahyah on Fri 19 Dec, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ben Bradshaw ‏@BenPBradshaw 27m27 minutes ago
Cameron & Osborne blocking May advisers becoming parliamentary candidates is extraordinary. Are all BBC political correspondents on holiday?
Quite.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all, just had a message from LC, any chance this can be looked into please?

'Hi Stephen,

Could you be a darling and let the FTN people know that I think I've killed my computer, please? And I can't remember my password so I can't get in on mobile. I've sent a password reminder request but I don't know whether that's gone through yet. It was overnight.

Lady Centauria'

Loving the Cameron v May bitching, here's looking forward to 'briefing against' in 2015!
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning all. This isn't very complimentary to the Lib Dems is it? :lol:
Party to make contingencies in case hung parliament - and aversion to another coalition - prompts second election

I'm a duffer at these constitutional matters but ... if Labour and Conservative both got exactly the same number of seats ... what would happen? Who would get the right to have first dibs at forming a govt - coalition or minority? Would it be the party with the largest number of votes overall, or the incumbent (stake through the heart symbol here)?
As with Brown last time, the government is the government is the government and it doesn't change until either they lose a confidence vote in the commons or, as happens after losing a general election, they inform the queen that they can't expect to get a confidence or programme vote (a queen's speech vote) through the commons and so she should invite someone else to try.

So Cameron gets first go but that doesn't mean he could announce a minority government and block any other coalition attempts unless he thought he had the votes to get a programme vote. I suppose he could play games and insist on going ahead without agreement on confidence and supply but he'd be a fool. So we might expect that to happen.

Even if labour win the most seats but don't win a majority, Cameron gets to try and form a parliamentary majority for a programme vote first.

I would expect no reference at all to the right's outrage at Browns entirely proper and constitutional actions last time
I still believe in a town called Hope
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all, just had a message from LC, any chance this can be looked into please?

'Hi Stephen,

Could you be a darling and let the FTN people know that I think I've killed my computer, please? And I can't remember my password so I can't get in on mobile. I've sent a password reminder request but I don't know whether that's gone through yet. It was overnight.

Lady Centauria'

Loving the Cameron v May bitching, here's looking forward to 'briefing against' in 2015!
I've sent LC a new password.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all...

This is interesting...remember that Trojan Horse school (Oldknow Academy) where the principal was 'forced out' by the governors and then returned? They've just had a s.8 inspection.
The school is not making enough progress towards the removal of special measures
and
The principal shows commitment and dedication to the academy and has a desire to see the academy improve. Previously, the academy’s weak leadership had resulted in the academy’s climate and ethos failing to prepare pupils properly for life in modern Britain or keep them safe. Since the last monitoring visit she has struggled to get the academy back on track. Pupils say that the principal does not visit lessons very often and does not have a visible presence.

The academy is not improving quickly because there is a lack of clarity about what needs to be done. Although there is an improvement plan in place it is not rigorously followed. The plan still lacks any detail about how and when checks on progress will be made. As a result no one is checking on whether the plan is working.

Much of the analysis and monitoring of the academy is carried out by two highly effective assistant principals. They are providing very good support to the principal and are leading on many aspects of the academy’s work. However, while they efficiently carry out the day to day aspects of work, there is a lack of vision from the principal to co-ordinate their actions.
I always thought there was more to this one than we were being told. From that you would have to say that she doesn't sound that great a leader.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Hmm...from another Ofsted report...taken over by AET in Dec 2012
The governance of the school:

The local management board, established when the academy opened, is still managing the governance of the school. Minutes of meetings show that statutory functions, including those for safeguarding and child protection, are in place and maintained. However, the level of challenge and scrutiny of the work of middle leaders is underdeveloped. The sponsor is aware that the plan to move to a full governing body model and to include representation from parents on the governing body has not moved as quickly as they would have wished.
So two years on and still no parent reps on the governing body? Pretty sure that goes against their funding agreement. Still I'm sure the DfE will be on their case...
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning all. This isn't very complimentary to the Lib Dems is it? :lol:

What Adam said, and ......

Are the Tories really so dumb that they've forgotten the fixed term parliaments they brought in? If they took power as a minority Government the only way they could force an early election would be through a no confidence motion which is hardly a precursor to a successful snap election campaign. Muppets.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/john-mi ... _hp_ref=uk

The Autumn Statement Looks Far Too Optimistic.

It's a long read so here's the depressing conclusion.
The unavoidable conclusion to which this analysis points is that there is no way to reduce the government deficit other than to take realistic steps to get the balance of payments deficit down - by getting the economy rebalanced towards sufficient manufacturing to enable us to pay our way in the world.
Wasn't that what Osborne said he'd do?

Btw, do you all hate those Huff Post capitals as much as I do?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

gilsey wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/john-mi ... _hp_ref=uk

The Autumn Statement Looks Far Too Optimistic.

It's a long read so here's the depressing conclusion.
The unavoidable conclusion to which this analysis points is that there is no way to reduce the government deficit other than to take realistic steps to get the balance of payments deficit down - by getting the economy rebalanced towards sufficient manufacturing to enable us to pay our way in the world.
Wasn't that what Osborne said he'd do?

Btw, do you all hate those Huff Post capitals as much as I do?
I don't think I do ;-)

Thanks for the link.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear Nigel...

Nigel Farage defends use of word 'Chinky'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... hinky.html
Challenged on Mr Smith's use of the word "Chinky", Mr Farage said: "If you and your mates were going out for a Chinese, what do you say you're going for?"

When LBC presenter Nick Ferrari responded that he "honestly would not use the word Chinky", Mr Farage said: "No? Fine. A lot of people would." He added he had never used the phrase himself.

"The point is this: I feel a bit sorry for Kerri Smith because he's a genuine fella. I think even the poofter comment, you know - the next sentence he was saying how good another candidate was and the fact that he was gay would be an asset to the party," Mr Farage said.

"I think he's had a tough time. However, he's not suitable to be a parliamentary candidate. I think we've very snobbish in London about condemning people perhaps for the colloquial language they use, particularly if it's not meant with really unpleasant intent.
Yes, you deselected him once...it says something about the lack of available people that you had to go back to him once Hamilton dropped out.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Farage claims there's nothing wrong with using the word "Chinky" to describe Chinese people, saying that it's only snobby Londoners who've got a problem with it. What a delightful addition to the political debate he has become.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... hinky.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited to add: SNAP!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

And she's back. Thanks to Stephen Dolan and to Dan Dan the Refitman for helping me get back in. I think I've killed my computer and I'm going to cry but anyhow, Dragon Dictate is helping me through so here I am on, an iPod, catching up with everybody's posts. Yay :dance:

And yes I have changed the temporary password to something stronger ~ and that I can remember ;)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 2m2 minutes ago
New TNS poll: Lab 35% (+4), Con 28% (-2), Ukip 19% (N/C), Greens 7% (+1), Lib Dems 5% (-1).
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 2m2 minutes ago
New TNS poll: Lab 35% (+4), Con 28% (-2), Ukip 19% (N/C), Greens 7% (+1), Lib Dems 5% (-1).
:rofl: :rofl:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 4m4 minutes ago
New TNS poll has the Lib Dems on 5% - lowest figure from any pollster since 2010.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

I haven't got a clue what McVey was saying here yesterday (or not) in a response to Stephen Timms request to update figures on amount withheld from claimants because of benefit sanctions.She should come with a translator .
ScreenShot0015pp.jpg
ScreenShot0015pp.jpg (159.69 KiB) Viewed 18324 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

LadyCentauria wrote:And she's back. Thanks to Stephen Dolan and to Dan Dan the Refitman for helping me get back in. I think I've killed my computer and I'm going to cry but anyhow, Dragon Dictate is helping me through so here I am on, an iPod, catching up with everybody's posts. Yay :dance:

And yes I have changed the temporary password to something stronger ~ and that I can remember ;)
Do you mean that you can remember changing the password or (and this, I think, is key) that you can remember what you changed it to?

Good morning, everyone.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Just caught James O'Brien saying "...it sounds like IDS statistics and I expect we'll find out that the numbers are nowhere near what the government are claiming later on."

So, 'IDS Statistics' is obviously entering into the common parlance for dodgy numbers! :rofl:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Whilst we're on the subject of Nigel Farage, here's a good article that exposes some of the many, er, chinks in his armour:
10 diktats from Brussels that are ruining life in Britain

From lowering energy bills to stopping toxic chemicals poisoning the environment, here are just some of the ways we’re tyrannised by the EU
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... in-britain
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

PorFavor wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:And she's back. Thanks to Stephen Dolan and to Dan Dan the Refitman for helping me get back in. I think I've killed my computer and I'm going to cry but anyhow, Dragon Dictate is helping me through so here I am on, an iPod, catching up with everybody's posts. Yay :dance:

Do you mean that you can remember changing the password or (and this, I think, is key) that you can remember what you changed it to?

Good morning, everyone.
Ah. Good point. I mean both! It is now in my code book and the original one wasn't, for some reason.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Here's the Groan bigging up Osborne

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... g-november" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turns out the better than expected borrowing figures are almost entirely due to a one-off receipt of bank fines :roll:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

The Guardian columnists really are pushing out copy for the awful post awards.

How Farage and Salmond – but not Miliband – ran Cameron ragged

http://gu.com/p/44bxp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Good Morning
Another day, another UKIP fallout today involving the memorable Winston McKenzie. Ah Well!
Ukip suspend Winston McKenzie and Lambeth & Croydon North branch committee
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Ukip ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

StephenDolan wrote:The Guardian columnists really are pushing out copy for the awful post awards.

Of course that will be written by that brilliant wit John Crace.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

StephenDolan wrote:The Guardian columnists really are pushing out copy for the awful post awards.

It's Crace, what did you expect?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

refitman wrote:

It's Crace, what did you expect?
I guess. More fool me :lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Crace really hates Miliband - I mean in a way beyond the usual bashing for political reasons we see at the Graun.

Its almost Hodges-esque - needless to say, that is not meant as a compliment.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rearofthestore wrote:Good Morning
Another day, another UKIP fallout today involving the memorable Winston McKenzie. Ah Well!
Ukip suspend Winston McKenzie and Lambeth & Croydon North branch committee
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Ukip ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wonder who he'll go to next, or will he form his own party again? Knowing Winston I wouldn't put it past him to have a punt at being Croydon's first ever SNP candidate.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Are the Tories really so dumb that they've forgotten the fixed term parliaments they brought in? If they took power as a minority Government the only way they could force an early election would be through a no confidence motion which is hardly a precursor to a successful snap election campaign. Muppets.
Well technically they could vote to end parliament early but they'd need a two thirds majority so would be reliant on Labour......... Afternoon all btw.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all, just had a message from LC, any chance this can be looked into please?

'Hi Stephen,

Lady Centauria'

Sympathies to LC. It seems to be the week for computers croaking.

Having to cope with sorting out Win8 for the second time, I still hate it and remain convinced whoever designed it was on the white stuff.
I rescued the computer, but lost all my documents and photos. Expect I did something wrong.
Now I have to hope my youngest granddaughter has the memory stick I 'loaned' her months ago on the understanding I'd get it back ASAP.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Toby Latimer wrote:I haven't got a clue what McVey was saying here yesterday (or not) in a response to Stephen Timms request to update figures on amount withheld from claimants because of benefit sanctions.She should come with a translator .
ScreenShot0015pp.jpg

Classic Yes Minister. I suspect they have secret lessons in dissembling.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

ScreenShot00137.jpg
ScreenShot00137.jpg (93.79 KiB) Viewed 18155 times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Afternoon

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2014/12/sa ... ct-of-all/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Saving our safety net: cruelty to people who are weak and poor is the most important fact of all"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Clegg looks a bit sad in that photo - can't think why :lol:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

I meant to add this photoshopped version, but didn't want to upset the Yellow Bellies. Then I thought ''Oh what the hell''
FotorCreated00000.jpg
FotorCreated00000.jpg (92.31 KiB) Viewed 18144 times
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Labour officials have acknowledged they will not be able to match the Tories’ funding now they are more reliant on union funds and individual donors. Insiders say they will unveil at least two new “big donors” in the New Year.
Wintour wonderland, where less means more.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:

'Hi Stephen,

Lady Centauria'

Sympathies to LC. It seems to be the week for computers croaking.

Having to cope with sorting out Win8 for the second time, I still hate it and remain convinced whoever designed it was on the white stuff.
I rescued the computer, but lost all my documents and photos. Expect I did something wrong.
Now I have to hope my youngest granddaughter has the memory stick I 'loaned' her months ago on the understanding I'd get it back ASAP.
Oh no, not you too :(
My sympathies to you and I agree ~ they were on something! Hope you get the memory stick back soon. :hugs:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Tizme1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Well technically they could vote to end parliament early but they'd need a two thirds majority so would be reliant on Labour......... Afternoon all btw.
Yeah. Sorry, up to my eyes today so the earlier post was a bit lazy; yes, they could do it with a two thirds majority but, as you suggest, would therefore be reliant on Labour who would be unlikely to dig them out of a hole, so the no confidence motion is their only realistic option. As I recall the fixed term thing was Clegg's maybe, and has proved to be one of Cameron's biggest mistakes tactically (and, boy, he has made some real doozies).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk/ne ... -1-6482810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pm-left-peace-talks-to-go-to-rave-claim

:lol: