Friday 19th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 19th December 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:I see Randy Mice-Davies (sorry, old habit) has died. A tragic figure, after Stephen Ward probably the person most damaged by the Profumo Affair; one wonders whether Natalie Rowe will achieve that same level of notoriety.
I'm hoping Natalie lives to a very ripe old age in blooming health and that she benefits fully from the age of social media and being able to let people know what's happening direct from her and chosen others ... regardless of mainstream media outlets and establishment channels. Stephen Ward and Rice Davies were not able to do so.
Yes, Ms Rowe is a very savvy operator, in a way that Ward and Rice-Davies never were; mind you, Christine Keeler worked the system rather well, and you feel she'd have embraced the opportunities social media present with no little aplomb.

And speaking of Ms Rowe, she is promising to release another photo from her 'collection' this evening. Could be fun.
Her timeline this evening is already full of fun .... very full of fun. Can't wait if there's more.
Working on the wild side.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I'm hoping Natalie lives to a very ripe old age in blooming health and that she benefits fully from the age of social media and being able to let people know what's happening direct from her and chosen others ... regardless of mainstream media outlets and establishment channels. Stephen Ward and Rice Davies were not able to do so.
Yes, Ms Rowe is a very savvy operator, in a way that Ward and Rice-Davies never were; mind you, Christine Keeler worked the system rather well, and you feel she'd have embraced the opportunities social media present with no little aplomb.

And speaking of Ms Rowe, she is promising to release another photo from her 'collection' this evening. Could be fun.
Her timeline this evening is already full of fun .... very full of fun. Can't wait if there's more.
It is rather. I've refrained from posting any of it here, just in case there are any legal ramifications, but she's certainly not coming across as a lady who is easily intimidated. :D
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:Roger, Tubby - anyone
What does this mean, and why so much talk of "Local Authority's" role ?
"A multi-million pound injection will help local authorities continue to implement new special educational needs system."
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/317- ... nd-reforms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A link from that page takes you to
"Dedicated schools grant"
Which again mentions "Local Authority's" quite frequently.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _grant.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are they reintroducing "Special Schools" again, under LA management ? Or am I reading it all wrong ?
:? - thanks :)
Looks like they've realised they cut back a little too much...

There were different categories of SEN of which only the most severe - statemented - was funded over and above.

System now is that the family decides where the money gets spent...problem that I can see is that if the family want the money spent elsewhere, the school might still have to fork out for additional support without getting the funding for it.

We're waiting to see what happens...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.

Night PF :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:Been reading the comments about 'chinky'. I grew up in Southall and Hayes and I remember it used to be used back in the 70's but I haven't heard it used for years. I just went and asked my youngest son if he knew what the chinky was. He looked at me blankly. So I asked him what he'd think I meant if I said can you pop to the chinky. He thought about it for a couple of moments and said, "well I know chink is a derogatory term for a Chinese person, so I'd guess maybe you meant the Chinese restaurant or take away". He tells me he's never heard anyone using it in that way so I guess its a term that is thankfully falling out of use. Likewise "paki". I remember years ago having a full scale argument with my ex when he asked my to pick him up some 'paki snacks' from the local shop!
I must admit I've always been puzzled over why people say the term Paki is derogatory.

We call the Swedish Swedes, the Danish Danes, the Finnish Finns, the English Brits, the Australians Aussies. The Turkish are Turks.

It's a perfectly normal shortening.

And I've suddenly remembered reading Enid Blyton's Wishing Chair series, when her main character was a mischievous pixie called Chinky.
All about how the term is used. In Ireland, Paki is a diminutive of Patrick but then Brit can be pretty derogatory. The term Paki has such a long history of being used as a belittling term for anyone of South Asian origin that it is too tainted to be normalised - unless the Pakistani community makes a concerted effort to reclaim it. Many terms have been adopted as a badge of honour by the community they were originally intended to attack. Queer, for example, or Christian. But it's up to those it describes to make that call.
I don't believe there was any offence in Enid Blyton stories at the time - they're now being evaluated by modern standards. I remember a nursery rhyme which started "10 little n** boys...". It became the title of an Agatha Christie play - renamed "10 Little Indians", and later "And then there ware None". Times change! Anyway, I liked "Biggles" more. :twisted:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: I must admit I've always been puzzled over why people say the term Paki is derogatory.

We call the Swedish Swedes, the Danish Danes, the Finnish Finns, the English Brits, the Australians Aussies. The Turkish are Turks.

And I've suddenly remembered reading Enid Blyton's Wishing Chair series, when her main character was a mischievous pixie called Chinky.
I lived in Southall as a child and 'Paki' was used to refer to Indians as well. It really was used in a derogatory way round there at least. I used to love the Wishing Chair. And the Faraway Tree. Not to mention loads of other Enid Blyton stuff. Don't tell anyone though - I like to crack on I was reading War and Peace and such like by the age of 7. ;)
You somehow know that dear ol' Enid is on the UKIP Approved List, very much the world to which they would like to return us even though, of course, it never really existed! Isn't it Lucy Mangan who waxes lyrical about the Blyton oeuvre?
I still own some original Noddy books where there is spanking and golliwogs. I can honestly, hand on heart say I never associated her stories with anything 'bad', and it certainly didn't affect how I viewed people that were different. All the children in her stories were far richer than we were and I can't remember being envious or wanting to be like them.
It's grown ups that put the bad connotations on words.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

A decision on spreading the badger cull to up to 40 more areas has been postponed indefinitely after a pilot cull failed to kill enough of the animals.

Farmers fear that Liz Truss, the environment secretary, will renege on a commitment to make the decision before the general election.

Delaying the decision until after the election would make it more difficult to extend culling next year to Dorset, Devon, Cornwall and other counties where hundreds of farms are blighted by tuberculosis in cattle.

Nigel Gibbens, the chief veterinary officer, admitted yesterday that the pilot cull in Gloucestershire might not lead to a reduction in the disease.

Just 274 badgers were killed in the second year of the cull, far short of the minimum of 615 estimated to be needed to deliver reductions in the disease in livestock. If too few badgers are killed in an area, diseased animals may roam more widely and infect other setts.

In Somerset, where the other pilot cull has been carried out, a sufficient number of badgers were killed this year to lead to expected reductions in TB in cattle; 341 were culled, within a required range of 316 to 785.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said that the low numbers in Gloucestershire reflected the “challenges of extensive unlawful protest and intimidation” by anti-cull campaigners. Natural England monitored some of the culling and found that no badgers took more than five minutes to die, which would classify as an inhumane death. In both areas, culling met public safety standards.

In both of the pilot areas, a significant proportion were killed by the more expensive method of cage trapping and shooting, rather than “controlled shooting” of free-running badgers.

A farmer closely involved in organising the culls said: “Unfortunately culling is caught up in politics and we are no longer expecting a decision on rolling it out until after the election. This means it will be harder to make progress next year in other areas in tackling this terrible disease.” Ms Truss told farmers in September that she was willing to make tough decisions on culling before the general election. Labour has said it would end culling if it won the election.

A Defra spokesman said there was no timetable for making a decision on whether to roll out culling.

Ministers and farmers say culling is necessary to tackle TB, which can be spread from badgers to livestock. More than 26,000 cattle were slaughtered in England last year.

Maria Eagle, the shadow environment secretary, said: “The target set in Gloucestershire has been spectacularly missed whilst the Somerset target was only narrowly reached, meaning that, if anything, these culls will make the problem of bovine TB worse.”
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/a ... 301476.ece
I'd say they were scared of announcing a decision to mass kill tens of thousands of badgers across vast swathes of England before the election - wouldn't you?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

British Veterinary Association statement on second year of badger cull pilots in England
http://www.bva.co.uk/News-campaigns-and ... n-England/
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Trussism_Truism_1.jpg
Trussism_Truism_1.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 13980 times
From the excellent TB Free England.
https://www.facebook.com/TbFreeEngland
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ecology and the General Election: What will be the key issues? - See more at: http://www.britishecologicalsociety.org ... 419iE.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Last badger / wildlife / environment post of the day ... promise.
Bill Oddie Official ‏@BillOddie 1h1 hour ago
Latest rumour from evil badger cullers. Plan to kill cubs in June, if the Tories are still in. Let's make sure they are not.

brendan mccullagh ‏@brengun66 15m15 minutes ago
@BillOddie @SarahChampionMP next stop fox hunting restored for the hooray Henry's.

Sarah Champion MP ‏@SarahChampionMP 10m10 minutes ago
“@brengun66: @BillOddie @SarahChampionMP next stop fox hunting restored for the hooray Henry's.”>That's one of their first bills, literally!

brendan mccullagh ‏@brengun66 7m7 minutes ago
@SarahChampionMP @BillOddie then they must be stopped Sarah.

Sarah Champion MP ‏@SarahChampionMP 5m5 minutes ago
“@brengun66: @SarahChampionMP @BillOddie then they must be stopped Sarah.”>I hear you!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

A splendid last line of an article
A Home Office spokesman denied Mrs May thought Mr Cameron was incompetent.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/th ... id-4694731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:A splendid last line of an article
A Home Office spokesman denied Mrs May thought Mr Cameron was incompetent.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/th ... id-4694731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aha...
In the article the Home ­Secretary’s special adviser Nick Timothy said his boss had “a vision of what the future should be about and what politics and the party should be about”.

Westminster insiders said it was unlikely Mr Timothy would have spoken without Mrs May’s approval.
So the ditching of him as a Tory candidate was in revenge for this? Makes sense now...I thought I'd heard his name recently.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
"A multi-million pound injection will help local authorities continue to implement new special educational needs system."
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/317- ... nd-reforms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _grant.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are they reintroducing "Special Schools" again, under LA management ? Or am I reading it all wrong ?
Looks like they've realised they cut back a little too much...

There were different categories of SEN of which only the most severe - statemented - was funded over and above.

System now is that the family decides where the money gets spent...problem that I can see is that if the family want the money spent elsewhere, the school might still have to fork out for additional support without getting the funding for it.

We're waiting to see what happens...
Thanks Roger (sorry for delay - tabs open & online but no one home - lol)
Just wondering how this will affect our local (still LA) school who have a wonderful SEN dept including a "sensory room" (?) and great SEN team.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: I must admit I've always been puzzled over why people say the term Paki is derogatory.

I lived in Southall as a child and 'Paki' was used to refer to Indians as well. It really was used in a derogatory way round there at least. I used to love the Wishing Chair. And the Faraway Tree. Not to mention loads of other Enid Blyton stuff. Don't tell anyone though - I like to crack on I was reading War and Peace and such like by the age of 7. ;)
You somehow know that dear ol' Enid is on the UKIP Approved List, very much the world to which they would like to return us even though, of course, it never really existed! Isn't it Lucy Mangan who waxes lyrical about the Blyton oeuvre?
I know. That's why I like to crack on I was reading Tolstoy at 7. Or I suppose I could say I read Enid Blyton in the interests of research - know your enemy so to speak. Even when reading them as a child, I realised her books were terribly sexist and racist [though I probably didn't know the terms at the time]. I'm thinking now of things like The Secret Seven and The Famous Five.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Tizme1 wrote: I lived in Southall as a child and 'Paki' was used to refer to Indians as well. It really was used in a derogatory way round there at least. I used to love the Wishing Chair. And the Faraway Tree. Not to mention loads of other Enid Blyton stuff. Don't tell anyone though - I like to crack on I was reading War and Peace and such like by the age of 7. ;)
I still own some original Noddy books where there is spanking and golliwogs. I can honestly, hand on heart say I never associated her stories with anything 'bad', and it certainly didn't affect how I viewed people that were different. All the children in her stories were far richer than we were and I can't remember being envious or wanting to be like them.
It's grown ups that put the bad connotations on words.
Me too Ohso and in fact, I read some to my children. Daughter loved Noddy when she was a toddler. My youngest boy loved Brer Rabbit which can be equally criticised. Eldest boy loved Thomas.......... But I read and read and read to them. My old favourites and lots of new books too. Poetry and stories from Kipling to Colin McNaughton and Enid Blyton to Babette Cole. And as they got older, I'd read novels to them [a chapter or two at a time] from the Narnia stories to Harry Potter, Wind in the Willows to Hitch Hikers Guide, and all sorts in between!
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:Been reading the comments about 'chinky'. I grew up in Southall and Hayes and I remember it used to be used back in the 70's but I haven't heard it used for years. I just went and asked my youngest son if he knew what the chinky was. He looked at me blankly. So I asked him what he'd think I meant if I said can you pop to the chinky. He thought about it for a couple of moments and said, "well I know chink is a derogatory term for a Chinese person, so I'd guess maybe you meant the Chinese restaurant or take away". He tells me he's never heard anyone using it in that way so I guess its a term that is thankfully falling out of use. Likewise "paki". I remember years ago having a full scale argument with my ex when he asked my to pick him up some 'paki snacks' from the local shop!
I must admit I've always been puzzled over why people say the term Paki is derogatory.

Because the country took it's first four letters from the initials of the States which joined together to form it, rather than from the historic names of the major tribe within it.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tizme1 wrote:
Me too Ohso and in fact, I read some to my children. Daughter loved Noddy when she was a toddler. My youngest boy loved Brer Rabbit which can be equally criticised. Eldest boy loved Thomas.......... But I read and read and read to them. My old favourites and lots of new books too. Poetry and stories from Kipling to Colin McNaughton and Enid Blyton to Babette Cole. And as they got older, I'd read novels to them [a chapter or two at a time] from the Narnia stories to Harry Potter, Wind in the Willows to Hitch Hikers Guide, and all sorts in between!
Enid Blyton books have dated very badly - especially the Famous Five which is why it was so easy for them to be spoofed.

I much preferred Malcolm Saville's Lone Pine series which were written from much the same time - 1940s onwards and haven't dated have as much as the famous Five. I actually started to collect them again - there's a publisher that has been putting them out.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

The have long been speculations about a return of residential facilities, with some reason, there is a document floating around that proposes some kind of residential educational facility. I do hope it is not what I'm referring to. Apologies for the vagueness, I cannot find a link, mainly because I haven't got an accurate enough keyword for a search. :oops: I'm having one of those kind of nights.