Friday 19th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 19th December 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Afternoon all.

If Farage really thinks (and I think we know he doesn't actually) that lots of people would use the term 'chinky' to describe a Chinese takeaway meal ............ I shudder to think what he imagines it would be OK to call an African Caribbean takeaway.

What a .........er - insert word of own choice.
Working on the wild side.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Afternoon all.

If Farage really thinks (and I think we know he doesn't actually) that lots of people would use the term 'chinky' to describe a Chinese takeaway meal ............ I shudder to think what he imagines it would be OK to call an African Caribbean takeaway.

I doubt his limited imagination can even encompass such a thing as an African Caribbean takeaway; which, quite frankly, is his loss.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

I doubt his limited imagination can even encompass such a thing as an African Caribbean takeaway; which, quite frankly, is his loss.
You're right TGS. It all points to a very narrow existence.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

David Conn @david_conn
John Beggs, Duckenfield QC, to Dalglish: Heysel chicken wire didn't stop your fans attacking Juventus fans, leading to death of 39 people.

Words fail. I'm so angry reading this.

The push to blame late, drunken, bunking in fans continues.
Last edited by StephenDolan on Fri 19 Dec, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The World at One ‏@BBCWorldatOne 2h2 hours ago
We understand one Special Adviser blocked from being Tory candidate wrote 7 times to Cabinet Office seeking confirmation of rules #wato
Ah, so the BBC have finally woken up to this misuse of publicly funded employees for party political electioneering purposes .... and the apparently ever flexible rule book, depending on who wanted them to do what and where.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The "c-word" *is* pretty widely used for Chinese takeaways/restaurants in my experience. That doesn't make it right, though.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I am working class and have never heard of Chinese takeaways or restaurants referred to as anything other than Chinese.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Some of the expressions Conservative and UKIP - spits - uses, reminds me of little schoolboys. You know they've been to boarding school, and to cheer themselves up at bedtime, lie there trying to think up the - to them - funniest names they can for people and giggling when someone says bum, or fart.
It all points to arrested development due to a substandard childhood.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 19 Dec, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

ohsocynical wrote:

I am working class and have never heard of Chinese takeaways or restaurants referred to as anything other than Chinese.
Interesting - I wonder if the term in question is more a northern thing? I have no doubt lots up here use it without realising its derogatory connotations.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

My dad was sent to China when the Japanese surrendered, and I never heard him refer to them as anything other than the Chinese. I think he had respect for them, because they'd suffered such hardship.
He said they had a Chinese woman and her three daughters waiting on them at mealtimes. They had been so hungry they still used to carefully brush the rice and bits of food off the table and eat it.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Interesting - I wonder if the term in question is more a northern thing? I have no doubt lots up here use it without realising its derogatory connotations.......
It was common parlance when I was a kid back in the '70s, but I haven't heard it in years. However, remember in those days we had "Love Thy Neighbour" on TV.
I wonder what Nige calls small corner shops owned & run by Asians?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The Home Secretary has warned she will not be rushed into a decision— even though the Mayor has already bought three second-hand machines from Germany and David Cameron has signalled he is happy for police to use them. The vehicles, which cost £218,000 in June, are currently being tested at a secret location.
The Standard has learned they were disguised as rubbish trucks when they were put on a ferry to the UK in July. One of the 23-year-old machines broke down and had to be repaired.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/b ... 35810.html
Naughty, naughty.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: What Adam said, and ......

Are the Tories really so dumb that they've forgotten the fixed term parliaments they brought in? If they took power as a minority Government the only way they could force an early election would be through a no confidence motion which is hardly a precursor to a successful snap election campaign. Muppets.
Well technically they could vote to end parliament early but they'd need a two thirds majority so would be reliant on Labour......... Afternoon all btw.
Yeah. Sorry, up to my eyes today so the earlier post was a bit lazy; yes, they could do it with a two thirds majority but, as you suggest, would therefore be reliant on Labour who would be unlikely to dig them out of a hole, so the no confidence motion is their only realistic option. As I recall the fixed term thing was Clegg's maybe, and has proved to be one of Cameron's biggest mistakes tactically (and, boy, he has made some real doozies).
Actually a wander round Wikipedia suggests that this is all a bit of a myth. I don't think there is any impediment to losing a vote of confidence. The only thing the act stops is the ability of the PM to call an election when he wants. I even read that the 55% majority didn't make it in either and it remains a simple majority.

I am happy to be shown to be wrong (delighted even because the alternative is funny).
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Not in recent years, maybe as a child I heard it, but not for many, many years and I'm 60+
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Far-right activist Tommy Robinson has announced his support for Ukip at the next general election.
Having previously endorsed Nigel Farage's party in a tweet, the former English Defence League leader has restated his support for Ukip in an interview.
Robinson, real name Stephen Yaxley Lennon, suggested that he had met quietly with members of Farage's eurosceptic party: "I’m not at liberty to go into details but all I know is that 100% Ukip fully understand the threat of Islamic ideology."

A man (or woman) is know by the company they keep an all that...
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... 41684.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Fri 19 Dec, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Bit more news for dedicated Winston Watchers. Apparently Winston McKenzie still has Nigel's backing as a candidate, they just don't want him running the local UKIP branch (or, presumably, a whelk stall).
http://insidecroydon.com/2014/12/19/mck ... h-of-ukip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Tizme1 wrote: Well technically they could vote to end parliament early but they'd need a two thirds majority so would be reliant on Labour......... Afternoon all btw.
Yeah. Sorry, up to my eyes today so the earlier post was a bit lazy; yes, they could do it with a two thirds majority but, as you suggest, would therefore be reliant on Labour who would be unlikely to dig them out of a hole, so the no confidence motion is their only realistic option. As I recall the fixed term thing was Clegg's maybe, and has proved to be one of Cameron's biggest mistakes tactically (and, boy, he has made some real doozies).
Actually a wander round Wikipedia suggests that this is all a bit of a myth. I don't think there is any impediment to losing a vote of confidence. The only thing the act stops is the ability of the PM to call an election when he wants. I even read that the 55% majority didn't make it in either and it remains a simple majority.

I am happy to be shown to be wrong (delighted even because the alternative is funny).
From the Commons Library.
Early elections can be held only:

• if a motion for an early general election is agreed either by at least two-thirds of the whole House or without division or;

• if a motion of no confidence is passed and no alternative government is confirmed by the Commons within 14 days.
Get your point about losing a no confidence motion not being, strictly speaking, an impediment but those sorts of motions aren't usually called for trivial matters; it was losing a no confidence motion that caused the downfall of Jim Callaghan, courtesy of thw SNP.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Two local council by-elections yesterday - the last electoral action of 2014:

Nottinghamshire CC - Labour hold (maintaining their tiny overall majority here) with a small swing to the Tories since last year but some 13% since their low point in 2009 when they were run close (Labour were actually returned unopposed in this old mining area in 2005) and still winning very comfortably with well over half the vote. In fact it was more a movement from UKIP since 2013, as they fell back from almost overtaking the Tories then. LibDems last with just 1% having not fought this seat in recent years; they now probably wonder why they bothered ;)

Kingston-upon-Thames - Tory hold, though this one was better for the LibDems as they came within 10% of the winner with a small swing to them since May (both "main" parties here increased their support) This ward split 2Con/1LibDem back in 2002, but the Tories won all three seats by a landslide margin four years later and have held them slightly less comfortably since - but as with most of the rest of the borough this remains primarily an "inter-coalition" contest and this was reflected by the fact that Labour, UKIP and the Greens (in that order) were all squeezed and down a bit since earlier this year - the last named seeing their share more than halve to less than 3%. Still, there's always the polls......

With 2015's council elections being the most wide-ranging of the four-year cycle, and added to the fact they will coincide with the GE this time around, vacancies are going to be at a premium in the next few months - the next one is, it seems, not until January 22.

Until then, season's greetings to all :)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Yeah. Sorry, up to my eyes today so the earlier post was a bit lazy; yes, they could do it with a two thirds majority but, as you suggest, would therefore be reliant on Labour who would be unlikely to dig them out of a hole, so the no confidence motion is their only realistic option. As I recall the fixed term thing was Clegg's maybe, and has proved to be one of Cameron's biggest mistakes tactically (and, boy, he has made some real doozies).

From the Commons Library.
Early elections can be held only:

• if a motion for an early general election is agreed either by at least two-thirds of the whole House or without division or;

• if a motion of no confidence is passed and no alternative government is confirmed by the Commons within 14 days.
Get your point about losing a no confidence motion not being, strictly speaking, an impediment but those sorts of motions aren't usually called for trivial matters; it was losing a no confidence motion that caused the downfall of Jim Callaghan, courtesy of thw SNP.
I guess the Tory Party can lose a vote of confidence any time, but in a truly hung parliament another government could be created instead of an election.
Release the Guardvarks.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Great interview, Natalie Bennett may have a problem.

Keir Starmer: ‘2015 will be a defining election ... I can’t walk away from it’

http://gu.com/p/44bgg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
The Home Secretary has warned she will not be rushed into a decision— even though the Mayor has already bought three second-hand machines from Germany and David Cameron has signalled he is happy for police to use them. The vehicles, which cost £218,000 in June, are currently being tested at a secret location.
The Standard has learned they were disguised as rubbish trucks when they were put on a ferry to the UK in July. One of the 23-year-old machines broke down and had to be repaired.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/b ... 35810.html
Naughty, naughty.
:lol: Can we not even get decent reliable water cannon to use on the plebs ... just how incompetent at procurement can the Tories get?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

BBC news website leading with the record failings to meet the 4 hour waiting time limit.I'm shocked, what's Craig Oliver and Ed Llewellyn doing to earn their keep? :wink:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:Great interview, Natalie Bennett may have a problem.

Keir Starmer: ‘2015 will be a defining election ... I can’t walk away from it’

http://gu.com/p/44bgg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is clear, as only a candidate whose feet are not yet under the table can be, in his support for the Labour leader.
What does that mean? .... Just what does that mean?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Those of you who follow Blanchflower on twitter will have seen his link to this report

CEP REAL WAGES UPDATE – December 2014
http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/rwu003.pdf

Have a look at chart 3, it's a cracker. Median real wages and the unemployment rate, 1979-2014
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:The "c-word" *is* pretty widely used for Chinese takeaways/restaurants in my experience. That doesn't make it right, though.
I agree. Almost always round my way but I think AK and I both live in Derbyshire. I hasten to add it is never used disparagingly, it's merely how we shorten a lot of words round here: take the first syllable and stick a y on the end.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nigel Farage And Alan Partridge Use The Same Defence For Saying “Chinky”
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/nigel ... ce-for-say
I think this article probably has the definitive advice on the use of chinky or not.

And Partridges views on Farage are excellent too:
I don’t think it’s appropriate to discuss politics in the run-up to Christmas. But suffice to say, on Christmas morn, I’ll be breakfasting on bacon, sausage and eggs rather than croissants and flaps of cold meat. We have one man to thank for that. And to suggest that him sharing initials with a violent far-right movement is anything other than coincidence is pure cattleshit.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

frightful_oik wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:The "c-word" *is* pretty widely used for Chinese takeaways/restaurants in my experience. That doesn't make it right, though.
I agree. Almost always round my way but I think AK and I both live in Derbyshire. I hasten to add it is never used disparagingly, it's merely how we shorten a lot of words round here: take the first syllable and stick a y on the end.
So you'd be going for a "chiney", which somehow sounds less offensive. Perhaps that's the solution ;-)
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

I wonder if this has implications for the blogosphere in general:
THE owners of a Highland guest house have lost an appeal in their legal fight to obtain details of review writers from an internet travel site as they seek to sue the authors.

...A judge at the Court of Session in Edinburgh earlier this year rejected a move for an order seeking to disclose names, addresses and other information on the identity of the authors, upholding a plea of “no jurisdiction”.

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/trave ... -1-3639282
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

RobertSnozers wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:
The problem is that the very existence of the term is problematic. My grandmother used to refer to the 'darkies' shop' and on seeing our horrified faces would add 'I like them darkies' just to reassure us that her casual racism was in no wise intended disparagingly.
In Oldham in the early 70s I'm afraid it was a term used regularly. It wasn't right then but was accepted. Also I can remember that when The Oldham Repertory Theatre performed their annual pantomime and it happened to be Aladdin again I remember the same term used and it written by one of UKs premier panto writers. Thankfully wouldn't happen now.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

RobertSnozers wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:
The problem is that the very existence of the term is problematic. My grandmother used to refer to the 'darkies' shop' and on seeing our horrified faces would add 'I like them darkies' just to reassure us that her casual racism was in no wise intended disparagingly.
I agree. I'm merely saying that it is widely used round here. It'll die out like other, in my opinion, far worse words eventually.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

My other half was Halifax born, and he says 50 years ago Chinese takeaways were called the 'chinky'...as in 'going t'chinky ?' but the best fish and chips in town were from a Chinese family run place in Hopwood Lane and that was always called 'the Chinese chippy'.

Does anyone else remember/may have visited Plebeians Jazz Club, his old music club haunt in Halifax ?
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

yahyah wrote:My other half was Halifax born, and he says 50 years ago Chinese takeaways were called the 'chinky'...as in 'going t'chinky ?' but the best fish and chips in town were from a Chinese family run place in Hopwood Lane and that was always called 'the Chinese chippy'.
We had the same and the owner always gave us extra after my dad leapt across the counter and helped him when he badly burned himself with hot oil. Incidentally, my family are proper South East Londoners, Del Boy territory, and we never once used the word chinky.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Been reading the comments about 'chinky'. I grew up in Southall and Hayes and I remember it used to be used back in the 70's but I haven't heard it used for years. I just went and asked my youngest son if he knew what the chinky was. He looked at me blankly. So I asked him what he'd think I meant if I said can you pop to the chinky. He thought about it for a couple of moments and said, "well I know chink is a derogatory term for a Chinese person, so I'd guess maybe you meant the Chinese restaurant or take away". He tells me he's never heard anyone using it in that way so I guess its a term that is thankfully falling out of use. Likewise "paki". I remember years ago having a full scale argument with my ex when he asked my to pick him up some 'paki snacks' from the local shop!
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Evening folks,
Just walked home from the Toon with Mrs55 after a final helping of Hobbitytosh. We were accosted by several beggars, including a sobbing woman who told us she was homeless and a group of Eastern Europeans in an underpass who, had I not been with her, would have made Mrs55 feel intimidated. The remainder of the walk home was focussed on some interesting discussion.

Have I just given cash to a drug user to finance their habit?
Have I helped someone in genuine need?
Should I feel obliged to donate to an individual in need if I already donate to the support services that are there to help them?
Have I just been scammed by someone who is on the make?
Given that I can afford to hand over whatever cash is in my pocket, should I worry about any of the above?

The only firm conclusion we came to is that, given the untold wealth in this country, this is not a debate that should ever arise. There is much incandescence in the 55DN household about the effects of the coalition - Mrs55, as a long term LibDem voter, would be first in queue when the tumbrills head for Sheffield.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tizme1 wrote:Been reading the comments about 'chinky'. I grew up in Southall and Hayes and I remember it used to be used back in the 70's but I haven't heard it used for years. I just went and asked my youngest son if he knew what the chinky was. He looked at me blankly. So I asked him what he'd think I meant if I said can you pop to the chinky. He thought about it for a couple of moments and said, "well I know chink is a derogatory term for a Chinese person, so I'd guess maybe you meant the Chinese restaurant or take away". He tells me he's never heard anyone using it in that way so I guess its a term that is thankfully falling out of use. Likewise "paki". I remember years ago having a full scale argument with my ex when he asked my to pick him up some 'paki snacks' from the local shop!
I think your sons deserve an award for their market research contributions to FTN. :lol:

What on earth do they think of these strange questions you keep posing them? What is weird looking - Is Ed Miliband weird looking - why? Do you know what a chinky is? ...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Stonehenge discovery could rewrite British pre-history
The most important discovery at Stonehenge for a generation could be destroyed by David Cameron's plan to build a tunnel at the World Heritage Site

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/e ... story.html
Looks as if another of Dave's bright ideas, will be going tits up.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Stonehenge discovery could rewrite British pre-history
The most important discovery at Stonehenge for a generation could be destroyed by David Cameron's plan to build a tunnel at the World Heritage Site

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/e ... story.html
Looks as if another of Dave's bright ideas, will be going tits up.
I've been waiting for this to unfold.

Andrew Lansley has just been voted the worst Health Secretary ever by top doctors. Cameron is rocketing up the list of disastrous prime ministers.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tizme1 wrote:Been reading the comments about 'chinky'. I grew up in Southall and Hayes and I remember it used to be used back in the 70's but I haven't heard it used for years. I just went and asked my youngest son if he knew what the chinky was. He looked at me blankly. So I asked him what he'd think I meant if I said can you pop to the chinky. He thought about it for a couple of moments and said, "well I know chink is a derogatory term for a Chinese person, so I'd guess maybe you meant the Chinese restaurant or take away". He tells me he's never heard anyone using it in that way so I guess its a term that is thankfully falling out of use. Likewise "paki". I remember years ago having a full scale argument with my ex when he asked my to pick him up some 'paki snacks' from the local shop!
I must admit I've always been puzzled over why people say the term Paki is derogatory.

We call the Swedish Swedes, the Danish Danes, the Finnish Finns, the English Brits, the Australians Aussies. The Turkish are Turks.

It's a perfectly normal shortening.

And I've suddenly remembered reading Enid Blyton's Wishing Chair series, when her main character was a mischievous pixie called Chinky.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Iain Dale @IainDale · 2h 2 hours ago
LISTEN AGAIN - LBC EXCLUSIVE: Former UKIP PPC Kerry Smith hits back: "It's a witchhunt against the working class". " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I don't know what class I am ... or was born into ... but if I was able to clearly call myself working class - I'd be bloody angry at Ukip making claims on my behalf.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I think your sons deserve an award for their market research contributions to FTN. :lol:

What on earth do they think of these strange questions you keep posing them? What is weird looking - Is Ed Miliband weird looking - why? Do you know what a chinky is? ...
*chuckle*

I often get my daughter in on the act too. They've known me all their lives RR - they long ago accepted they have a complete nutter for a mother. Most of their friends are used to my odd questions too. Trust me, they probably prefer the odd questions to my doing a version of Swan Lake in the playground because we'd got to school on time! Ah those were the days.........
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
I must admit I've always been puzzled over why people say the term Paki is derogatory.

We call the Swedish Swedes, the Danish Danes, the Finnish Finns, the English Brits, the Australians Aussies. The Turkish are Turks.

And I've suddenly remembered reading Enid Blyton's Wishing Chair series, when her main character was a mischievous pixie called Chinky.
I lived in Southall as a child and 'Paki' was used to refer to Indians as well. It really was used in a derogatory way round there at least. I used to love the Wishing Chair. And the Faraway Tree. Not to mention loads of other Enid Blyton stuff. Don't tell anyone though - I like to crack on I was reading War and Peace and such like by the age of 7. ;)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Interesting interview with Clooney on the petition nobody would sign ... and the outcomes.
Nick Davies @Bynickdavies · 12h 12 hours ago
Clooney reveals how Hollywood big shots refused to stand up to North Korean hackers http://tinyurl.com/ovp86v9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Tizme1 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

I lived in Southall as a child and 'Paki' was used to refer to Indians as well. It really was used in a derogatory way round there at least. I used to love the Wishing Chair. And the Faraway Tree. Not to mention loads of other Enid Blyton stuff. Don't tell anyone though - I like to crack on I was reading War and Peace and such like by the age of 7. ;)
You somehow know that dear ol' Enid is on the UKIP Approved List, very much the world to which they would like to return us even though, of course, it never really existed! Isn't it Lucy Mangan who waxes lyrical about the Blyton oeuvre?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Welsh Labour MPs vow to fight moves to stop them voting on health and transport services in England that are used by their constituents
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ht-8310701
Welsh Labour MPs have warned the UK Government their constituents depend on English health services and transport links and vowed to oppose any move to strip them of their ability to vote on these issues in the House of Commons.

Their warning to Welsh Secretary Stephen Crabb comes on the same week the UK Government published proposals to introduce English Votes for English Laws (EVEL).

The letter to Mr Crabb is signed by Chris Ruane (Vale of Clwyd), David Hanson (Delyn), Susan Elan Jones (Clwyd South), Mark Tami (Alyn and Deeside), Albert Owen (Anglesey) and Ian Lucas (Wrexham).

They state: “We note the limitation proposed to the voting rights of MPs from Wales. North Wales has a historic and strong relationship with North West England.

“Geography has driven the development of an integrated economy built in the two regions and public services have developed over many years reflecting this close relationship. All political parties have, in recent months, emphasised the importance of improved transport links between the two regions in order to strengthen economic growth.

“You have yourself talked of, for example, the potential of the HS2 Project to benefit North Wales. Our specialist health services in North Wales are often provided by such centres of excellence as Christie’s in Manchester and Alder Hey and Walton in Liverpool.

“The Countess of Chester Hospital was built to provide health services to both Deeside and Chester and must do so to remain viable. We consider that any restriction on our voting rights affecting such, and many other, matters will damage the interests of our constituents in North Wales and we will oppose them.”

The Labour MPs continue: “We would especially welcome a clear definition from you as to what you regard as an England only issue in the light of our concerns. We are surprised and disappointed that you, as Secretary of State for Wales, did not recognise the detriment to constituents in North Wales of these proposals and we ask you to reconsider your position and speak up for the interests of North Wales in Cabinet.”...
Crabb's response is pathetic. I must redouble my campaigning efforts immediately after Christmas ... that man has been MP for this area for far too long.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

I see Randy Mice-Davies (sorry, old habit) has died. A tragic figure, after Stephen Ward probably the person most damaged by the Profumo Affair; one wonders whether Natalie Rowe will achieve that same level of notoriety.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:I see Randy Mice-Davies (sorry, old habit) has died. A tragic figure, after Stephen Ward probably the person most damaged by the Profumo Affair; one wonders whether Natalie Rowe will achieve that same level of notoriety.
I'm hoping Natalie lives to a very ripe old age in blooming health and that she benefits fully from the age of social media and being able to let people know what's happening direct from her and chosen others ... regardless of mainstream media outlets and establishment channels. Stephen Ward and Rice Davies were not able to do so.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Roger, Tubby - anyone
What does this mean, and why so much talk of "Local Authority's" role ?
"A multi-million pound injection will help local authorities continue to implement new special educational needs system."
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/317- ... nd-reforms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A link from that page takes you to
"Dedicated schools grant"
Which again mentions "Local Authority's" quite frequently.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _grant.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are they reintroducing "Special Schools" again, under LA management ? Or am I reading it all wrong ?
:? - thanks :)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:I see Randy Mice-Davies (sorry, old habit) has died. A tragic figure, after Stephen Ward probably the person most damaged by the Profumo Affair; one wonders whether Natalie Rowe will achieve that same level of notoriety.
I'm hoping Natalie lives to a very ripe old age in blooming health and that she benefits fully from the age of social media and being able to let people know what's happening direct from her and chosen others ... regardless of mainstream media outlets and establishment channels. Stephen Ward and Rice Davies were not able to do so.
Yes, Ms Rowe is a very savvy operator, in a way that Ward and Rice-Davies never were; mind you, Christine Keeler worked the system rather well, and you feel she'd have embraced the opportunities social media present with no little aplomb.

And speaking of Ms Rowe, she is promising to release another photo from her 'collection' this evening. Could be fun.