Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th March 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th March 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th March 2023

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

The usual suspects

'Common Sense Group' FFS
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

It's terrific twitter entertainment tho.

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good morning.

Interesting comments given Wheatcroft's background...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Aaron Bastani, Piers Morgan, Guy Verhofstadt and Andrew Lilico here.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

And incredibly, Lilico's comment may be the most insightful of all - a real "stopped clock" moment.

Many people are just profoundly tired of culture wars and the attempt by their perpetrators to politicise everything, all the time.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Well, they slipped this one out

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

That is an extreme example, but for the last dozen years the general BBC pattern has been - Tories/right wing allies allowed to spout any old nonsense essentially unchallenged, almost anybody to their left treated with either nitpicking suspicion or outright snarling hostility.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote: Sat 11 Mar, 2023 10:23 am The usual suspects
One of them, Brendan Clarke-Smith, was on Newsnight last night where he was hilariously reminded of the time he compared England football players taking the knee to giving a Nazi salute. He tried to claim it had been 'widely misreported' but a 5 second Google search shows that's exactly what he said.

'Taking the knee' compared to Nazi salutes

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/tory-mp-c ... s-1.517483
In a lengthy post on his public Facebook page, MP for Bassetlaw, Brendan Clarke-Smith, argued that by performing the symbolic gesture, England players – even if unintentionally – are endorsing a political ideology akin to Soviet Union communism.

He then compared sports stars taking the knee today to British footballers being pressured to make Nazi salutes during a game in Germany in 1938.

Commenting on the comparison, Danny Stone, Director of the Antisemitism Policy Trust, tweeted: "This is an ill-considered and offensive comparison, which taken together with the additional comments demonstrate an urgent requirement for education. I hope the party will take action."
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sat 11 Mar, 2023 1:50 pm Couldn't have put it better myself.

For all his invective, he did start the video with a jab at the 'woke left', just like all good centrists should. Got to remember to attack both sides, otherwise you might have to choose one.

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Sat 11 Mar, 2023 6:22 pm For all his invective, he did start the video with a jab at the 'woke left', just like all good centrists should. Got to remember to attack both sides, otherwise you might have to choose one.
That's the first video of his I've ever watched and while I can imagine his shtick could get tiresome pretty quickly I don't see the problem with jabbing the 'woke left'. Aren't the left supposed to be tolerant of dissenting opinions? They like to tell us they are.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sat 11 Mar, 2023 7:53 pm
refitman wrote: Sat 11 Mar, 2023 6:22 pm For all his invective, he did start the video with a jab at the 'woke left', just like all good centrists should. Got to remember to attack both sides, otherwise you might have to choose one.
That's the first video of his I've ever watched and while I can imagine his shtick could get tiresome pretty quickly I don't see the problem with jabbing the 'woke left'. Aren't the left supposed to be tolerant of dissenting opinions? They like to tell us they are.
There's dissenting opinions and then there's "let the horrible foreigners die" or "let's burn down a hotel filled with immigrants" or "these people are 'others' and don't deserve to be treated as humans". Pretty sure most people on the left would tell people with those opinions to fuck off.
centrist.png
centrist.png (182.92 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Great Yasmin Albhai-Brown clip from QT --

Interestingly Bruce attempted to get an answer from Lab on the morality of it all ...
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Sat 11 Mar, 2023 8:16 pm There's dissenting opinions and then there's "let the horrible foreigners die" or "let's burn down a hotel filled with immigrants" or "these people are 'others' and don't deserve to be treated as humans". Pretty sure most people on the left would tell people with those opinions to fuck off.
Indeed. But jabbing 'woke lefties' is a far cry from saying any of those things, in fact judging by that video 'Jonathan Pie' would agree with you, he makes it abundantly clear what he thinks of Braverman and her policies.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Watch the Munecat video I posted. Pie is more than happy to do the 'oh no, you have pronouns and there are 524 new genders this week' bollocks, which is punching down. Nah, fuck him. He's just there to make the centrist dads feel better about themselves.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Dearie me...as has been pointed out a fair number of times the very first line of "f First They Came by Pastor Martin Niemöller is...

First they came for the Communists

:toss:

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I actually thought Hitchens was at least better than that, how naive eh.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Sat 11 Mar, 2023 9:07 pm Watch the Munecat video I posted. Pie is more than happy to do the 'oh no, you have pronouns and there are 524 new genders this week' bollocks, which is punching down. Nah, fuck him. He's just there to make the centrist dads feel better about themselves.
I did try but after 10 minutes I'm afraid I was losing the will to live. Despite her claiming otherwise he's obviously playing an over the top character wildly exaggerating things for laughs (and views). I'll grant you from what I've seen it doesn't seem all that funny but does it warrant a half hour point by point deconstruction and critique? Imagine a young Tory going through all of Rosie Holt's videos pointing out what they perceived to be the flaws.

There's nothing wrong with poking fun at pronouns and genders as long as it isn't done to intentionally hurt anyone, nothing and nobody should be outside the scope of comedy.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Yay, culture wars

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

'Pronouns' is the one joke that the right have about trans people. If you can't think up something original, you're a hack.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This made me smile.

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Ideas ?

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I should probably refresh before posting 😅
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

WHOOPS ! :-)

US news yesterday on the run on that bank -- I watched a woman with hundreds of employees telling how she had insider info and managed to almost empty her SVB a/c with a number of seemingly 'innocent' transfers, leaving less than the Fed's FDIC guaranteed amount of (iirc) $250K .

So dozens of the UK 's dynamic techno-startups and perhaps some larger entities(?) have been frantically on the line to the BoE ...

" Silicon Valley Bank was aptly named: It held the funds of hundreds of U.S. tech companies and was a crucial player in the valley’s economy. But on Friday, it became the second largest bank failure in U.S. history after a rapid run on its deposits. Some $175 billion in customer accounts were taken over by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), which is now tasked with returning money to the bank’s customers."
But more than 85% of the bank’s deposits were uninsured, according to estimates in a recent regulatory filing. That’s because FDIC deposit insurance is meant for everyday bank customers and maxes out at $250,000. Many Silicon Valley startups had millions, or even hundreds of millions of dollars deposited at the bank—money they used to run their companies and pay employees. Right now, nobody’s sure how much of that cash is left.

https://time.com/6262009/silicon-valley ... insurance/

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Interesting - how many other people who present for BBC write or opine elsewhere?

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

"The thing about Arsenal is that they'll always try and walk it in"

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

First "the Nazis were left-wing, actually", now this

And just as a reminder (sorry)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Sun 12 Mar, 2023 11:38 am "The thing about Arsenal is that they'll always try and walk it in"

Who knew so many Tory MPs were genuine, 'since they were a nipper' football fans, eh?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

You just *know* that all these Tory MPs have never actually watched it.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

And people who'd like to follow it but literally can't, aren't best pleased.

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Oh god. I just retuned my TV box and I now have 'Leeds TV'. The current program is 'Plank of the Week' with Mike Graham (of growing concrete fame), followed by 'Friday Night with Nadine [Dorries]'. That channel's getting hidden immediately.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Wouldn't it be lovely to have an Opposition that put the boot in themselves, instead of leaving it to the footballers ?

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Next

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435705/

In Next Nicolas Cage plays a guy who can see two minutes into the future. It's based on a Philip K Dick story (hat tip to Refitman) to which it bears no resemblance whatsoever, besides Cage's ability. This one actually has a budget, and a brief appearance by Peter Falk!

For reasons never explained Euro terrorists want to blow up Los Angeles with a stolen Russian nuke. Julianne Moore is an FBI agent who, while presumably working on the X Files, has discovered Cage's precognitive talents which she wants to use to stop the bomb. Cage however is more interested in meeting the woman of his dreams, which he does in a cafe, before really creepily using his powers to seduce her. Seriously, it's totally messed up. He keeps looking forward in time over and over again using different chat up lines and excuses to talk to her and she keeps telling him to get lost until he finally finds a way to manipulate her into recognising his charms. What a creep. Anyway eventually he ends up working with Moore to take on the Euro terrorists because the poor woman Cage has disturbingly exploited is going to be blown up in a wheelchair in an apparent attempt to lure him into showing himself so the terrorists can assassinate him before he stops Los Angeles going boom.

Even taking Cage's remarkable powers of foresight into consideration it makes very little sense, contains multiple plot holes, and when you know someone can see into the future it removes any sense of peril because Cage can use it to do anything he pleases (which is mainly the afformentioned seduction and dodging bullets at the last second).

What's most disturbing is it implies we live in a deterministic universe where we are mere puppets following a predetermined fate, unless Nicolas Cage intervenes by looking into the future and changing it, making him a kind of god.

On the Cageometer, despite a distinct lack of him going crazy and only minimal amounts of him kicking ass I'd give it a 3/5. Largely because of some awesome Grand Canyon scenery, including a splendid waterfall.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Sun 12 Mar, 2023 7:34 pm Oh god. I just retuned my TV box and I now have 'Leeds TV'. The current program is 'Plank of the Week' with Mike Graham (of growing concrete fame), followed by 'Friday Night with Nadine [Dorries]'. That channel's getting hidden immediately.
I presume you're aware of the heap of shit Mike Graham currently finds himself in?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Also I suppose it's good 'Leeds TV' is diversifying, whenever I've looked it just seemed to be showing Judge Judy 24 hours a day.

Although I have to admit she does have a sort of Yorkshire 'no nonsense' attitude in as much as she often confidently passes judgement on things she clearly knows fuck all about, while regularly attracting accusations of racism so she'd be right a home here!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sun 12 Mar, 2023 11:01 pm
refitman wrote: Sun 12 Mar, 2023 7:34 pm Oh god. I just retuned my TV box and I now have 'Leeds TV'. The current program is 'Plank of the Week' with Mike Graham (of growing concrete fame), followed by 'Friday Night with Nadine [Dorries]'. That channel's getting hidden immediately.
I presume you're aware of the heap of shit Mike Graham currently finds himself in?
You mean this?

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I do. I've never seen anyone try to use an extract from an article by Douglas Murray as a legal defence but that appears to be what Mike is attempting.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Mon 13 Mar, 2023 12:25 am I do. I've never seen anyone try to use an extract from an article by Douglas Murray as a legal defence but that appears to be what Mike is attempting.
The man thinks you grow concrete, what did you expect?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Also about Fiona Bruce downplaying Stanley Johnson being a wife beater on QT. I missed it while going for a piss.

The one thing that everyone was talking about the next day and I was emptying my bladder. Which is something which seems to be happening more frequently the older I get, especially with booze.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Mon 13 Mar, 2023 12:45 am Also about Fiona Bruce downplaying Stanley Johnson being a wife beater on QT. I missed it while going for a piss.

The one thing that everyone was talking about the next day and I was emptying my bladder. Which is something which seems to be happening more frequently the older I get, especially with booze.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »