Friday 28th April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 28th April

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 28th April

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

Richard Sharp has resigned as BBC chairman after conceding an official report finds he breached the rules for public appointments. He said he was quitting to “prioritise the interests” of the broadcaster
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

No good ever comes of associating with ABdeP Johnson.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Morning ! Sharp took his time, as they all do !

I heard on Radio4 that there isn't going to be an inquiry into the Kabul evacuation fiasco, " because it's already been carried out internally" .

That's alright then .

Tuesday 25/4

Cleverly -- it's all "incredibly difficult and scary"

Crazy UK SNAFU- stuff such as this from Dan Sabbagh also on Tuesday -- "
" The Hercules plane then headed back to Cyprus, prompting inaccurate speculation that it may have been carrying the first evacuated people on it. Instead, it was returning to base largely empty, and as Ben Wallace, the defence secretary, was to explain in a late lunchtime update, there was a slight complication.

Pressed by Tobias Ellwood, the chair of the defence select committee, as to when the first flights with passengers would take off, Wallace told MPs that RAF flights out would start “if and when the Germans leave”, explaining that Germany’s military was “running the airfield at the moment”.

It was a surprising answer, highlighting how the UK had fallen behind. "
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... evacuation

Ho Ho -- more explanation on the CHAOS at that airport in The Times, just about to read ...
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Note from the graphic that the frogs managed ten convoys to the airport , other counties similar, and the SAS managed one 'death-defying' ((UK Press ! ) effort .

I'm guessing that the COBRA planning for the thing had far too much input from the Home Office, determined above all to do their processing in Sudan, and taking care to limit the numbers evacuated !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

No doubt getting our people out of Sudan *is* quite difficult and challenging.

But that's the point, shying away from difficult things is the present lot's way of governing.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2023 10:55 am No doubt getting our people out of Sudan *is* quite difficult and challenging.
But that's the point, shying away from difficult things is the present lot's way of governing.
Absolutely AK !
But when the qualification for high office is to be a brexiteer, or a "convert" ....it doesn't promise well !

The Times --

https://archive.ph/2IPRY

Inside the UK’s chaotic Sudan evacuation: ‘You’d hope they would have a better plan’

People at the FO "working flat out " , to achieve what exactly ?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Re QT, it's become commonplace for the tory MP panellist to be laughed at by the audience, despite them being picked according to their 2019 voting preference. Been wondering if it will at last mean the death of the programme. I'd miss sky's reviews much more than actually watching it.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

"This is Glasgae, we'll set about ye"

:D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2023 11:37 am
Well of course the SNP also tried this recently with their leadership hustings (and also failed)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Someone's not getting invited back
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

"We create our own reality".
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2023 11:10 am Re QT, it's become commonplace for the tory MP panellist to be laughed at by the audience, despite them being picked according to their 2019 voting preference. Been wondering if it will at last mean the death of the programme. I'd miss sky's reviews much more than actually watching it.
I've never even attempted to watch it, but @Sky's Report is a great substitute, and a few clips on twitter-tube are quite enough !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

From one extreme (Lithuania) to another (Malta).

Malta has another potential winner with The Busker's "Dance (our own party)". Opening with a nightclub scene worthy of a Dick Wolf drama, I was surprised by the opening sax. And then, after a brief segue into a genre I don't like, I was again surprised by the rest of it.

In the end I enjoyed much of this. A young man developing along that familiar path from feeling good in his sweater to feeling (even) better in his sweater. A bunch of lads equally comfortable in knitwear as they are in glitter (and vice versa). And a video which does not even hint at swimming pools or ducks, but focuses instead on such pleasant activities as knitting, playing scrabble and doing the laundry. It even ends with the band travelling around in the kind of transport in which Greyson Perry takes Alan Measles on tour.

I liked it.

Clanger rating:
Was it fun: it was great fun
Was it dancey: from the title I'd expected disco, which it wasn't, but it was FUN!
What would Terry have said about it: I'm sure Terry would have found it uplifting in the wake of the last 7 or so entries.

Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Fri 28 Apr, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

How many of these have you got left to do, with just over a fortnight to go?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Je ne (le?) sais pas
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Just checked - 14 to go