Thursday 4th May 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 4th May 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Thursday 4th May 2023

Post by refitman »

An update on the golly pub
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

No elections here today (we have the town council up, but that has turned out to be uncontested this year - for the first time in living memory)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Turns out Romania's Theodor Andrei is every bit as sleazy as his first impression suggests (books, covers, whatever). Again the colour scheme for the banal "Off and On" is black and red (no white), and there's a strong focus on a particular type of lingerie that just makes me feel sad. Of course there is the tremendously exciting moment when Theodor rips off his shirt Bucks Fizz style to reveal ... a t-shirt!

I found the whole thing utterly dispiriting, and basically just wrong. But there you go.

Clanger rating:
Was it fun: guess
Was it dancey: no-one could dance to something that dismal
What would Terry have said about it: If he'd had any sense Terry would have nipped to the bar for this one.

LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The democratic deed is done and I voted Green. To be honest if my council ward was anywhere near being a close run thing I'd have voted for whoever was best placed to beat the Tories, but they'll be lucky to get a few hundred votes so I was free to vote with my conscience. Labour will win by a country mile anyway.

I asked if anyone had been turned away due to a lack of photo ID and was told a 'few' people had been so went on a mini-rant about Tory vote rigging shenanigans which seemed to go down well.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Anecdotal evidence is apparently that most people coming to the polling stations without ID are elderly voters.

This is not surprising (especially given local election voters skew older anyway) but also might not be great news for any Tory vote rigging ambitions.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Thu 04 May, 2023 4:06 pm I found the whole thing utterly dispiriting, and basically just wrong. But there you go.
Agreed. It had no redeeming features whatsoever. He reminds me of someone though and I can't quite put my finger on who it is.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good evening.

Apologies for my absence lately - 'er indoors hasn't been so good and instead of going back to doing 5 hours a day part-time working from home, she now thinks it's best to go for retirement due to ill-health. Sad but rather inevitable.

Anyway, why did they simply not require people to take their polling card long and hand it in?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Oh joy, it's professional right wing miserabilist Peter Hitchens. Well the joke's on him because the wine I shall be drinking is so cheap I doubt even he could sour it further.

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

It's good to see that the Labour posters haven't been hijacked at all 🙄
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm afraid I won't be doing a QT review this evening as due to the broadcasting election rules it wasn't shown earlier online.

I had no idea so began imbibing at my usual time in preparation only to discover there was nothing to watch so now if I try writing one after it's been on TV I'll have forgotten most of it by the time it's finished.

Many apologies. I'll do a special one next week to make up for this lapse. Maybe have dragons in it or something.

Anyway it's on now so if anything interesting happens I'll provide a commentary.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Pledge allegiance to the King?

Yes - Lammy, Harper, Batters.

No - Hitchens, Bragg.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Incredible. Peter Hitchens lays into Mark Harper on behalf of striking rail workers far more strongly and effectively than David Lammy.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Can we trust Starmer given all his broken promises?

Billy Bragg. Not really, he's a disappointment, says even as a Labour member he'll vote tactically so possibly not for Labour.
David Lammy. Starmer is a hard headed pragmatist. Politics is about power.
Peter Hitchens. Expanding university access has been a failed experiment. Politicians should be allowed to change their minds.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Is (so called) 'AI' big and scary?

Ha ha. Peter Hitchens thinks the internet has an 'opinion' and 'a kind of force' which prevents 'certain things' being said, which of course is him whingeing about having his arse handed to him on Twitter on a regular basis.

Mark Harper. Britain should be at the forefront of producing scary killer robots and the economic opportunities they will bring.

Billy Bragg. AI is a a tool. Machines can't reproduce empathy. Has concerns about misinformation.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

What skills or knowledge do the panellists wish they'd acquired before taking on their current roles?

Hitchens. Shorthand.
Batters. Typing.
Bragg. The piano.
Harper. (Doesn't want to answer the question)...learning a musical instrument.
Lammy. Public school bullshit confidence.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And we're done.

Final thoughts. The Telford audience was the most Tory friendly we've had in a long time. Billy Bragg is looking very distinguished these days. David Lammy was so hampered by Starmer's baggage that even Mark Harper managed to get a laugh at his expense. The afformentioned Mark Harper looked smug throughout and actually got applause which I reckon must be the first time for a Conservative in about a year, so well done him. Minette Batters showed solidarity for other unions by complaining about how the strikes inconvenienced her and her kids. Peter Hitchens did his best to claim climate change and Covid were all part of some sort of horrible conspiracy to destroy whatever the hell it is he believes in but everyone kind of looked away in embarrassment.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Jesus, I tune into the electoral results and am confronted by Harry Cole's massive hideous face. He's not a healthy man is he? I'm thinking gout and diabetes.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Cheers for the QT catchup Sky.

I do wish the BBC et al would just shut down any climate/covid denial bollocks. It really shouldn't be up for debate any more.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Fri 05 May, 2023 12:37 am I do wish the BBC et al would just shut down any climate/covid denial bollocks. It really shouldn't be up for debate any more.
I agree as far as factual programmes are concerned but when it comes to a political panel show I think if anyone wants to make a tit of themselves with their opinions then let them have at it. Hitchens' views weren't just ignored they were treated like he'd just shat himself, even by a Tory.

As an old school liberal I believe anyone can say whatever the fuck they like unless they're doing harm and the only harm Hitchens did tonight was to himself.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I don't know. Why are you watching Laura Kuenssberg?

Your turn . . .
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Somebody's mentioned (on Sky TV) Jo Swinson. I'd forgotten all about her.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister