Tuesday 16th May 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 16th May 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 16th May 2023

Post by frog222 »

Morning refit

Loooong thread on Nazification --

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good morning.

'Mucked up' is an interesting way to describe two World Wars and the Holocaust.

Incidentally, I wonder whether La Birbalsingh had to obtain permission from her Chair of Governors to attend an overtly political conference in school time. I would be very unhappy of our HT did that no matter what his party affiliation. It's always the "keep politics out of school" lot that seem to think there was a second clause "...except for mine"

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Thin shrinkable airbag bizarrely criticises people who use pseudonyms on Twitter (9,11).
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Tue 16 May, 2023 10:47 am Thin shrinkable airbag bizarrely criticises people who use pseudonyms on Twitter (9,11).
Morning PFY Novara had a clip of her at the Nat-C Party's conference last night .
She'd make a brilliant drill sergeant !

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Not at all mad Melanie Phillips liked yesterday's gathering, well that's me shocked.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

The JC have found a way to justify the anti-Semitism
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well we know who now owns that publication don't we.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brav ... -kh6wrs9xc

" Care workers were by far the main driver of the huge increase in the number of visas issued to foreign workers last year, when 268,000 were provided, almost twice as many as the last pre-pandemic year of 2019. "
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Yes this National Con thing has dragged some of our old favourite (not) commentators back into the limelight hasn't it?!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Tue 16 May, 2023 2:45 pm Yes this National Con thing has dragged some of our old favourite (not) commentators back into the limelight hasn't it?!
Psst PFY it's the Nat-C's :-)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

This is a good thread
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am watching Ted Lasso on Apple TV. It is completely brilliant.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote: Tue 16 May, 2023 7:00 pm This is a good thread
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1658 ... 27361.html

I've seen some people mock conference speakers for conflating the left with elites, big business and even Margaret Thatcher. But this is a feature not a bug: the point is to make the enemy broad and nebulous, so it can serve different purposes depending on the occasion.
So, if you're a liberal who doesn't like Jeremy Corbyn, don't think you're immune from the right's "woke left" accusations. They aim these at anyone who doesn't fall into their narrow parameters of Britishness - including the England football team and the police (!)
The purpose is to divide people who could otherwise form a grassroots coalition by categorising them as "British" - lovers of monarchy, military, strong borders, nuclear heterosexual families, implicit (and sometimes explicit whiteness). Or "woke" - the existential threat.
It's not all tactical: we found that the hard right's base are really motivated by the "anti-woke" story. I suspect that one of the reasons it has become so dominant is that it animates the base so much that they want to repeat it all the time, overstating its popularity.
Having a media whose politics, by and large, align with the most rightwing tenth of the population is obviously pretty useful to the right. But it's not the end of the story. The Mail existed in the 1990s but was seen as gauche, even cranky. What's changed?
I think that, as the material conditions of life shift profoundly around us, the right is dominating because it has developed this resonant, clear anti-woke story and progressives are eating their dust.
We tested what the current progressive story is on class and identity and we found that not only did it not persuade anyone; a third of the people who heard it couldn't remember a single thing about it when we asked them seconds later. It's not working
Worse, some progressive institutions (the Labour Party) have taken this failure of their own messaging as a sign that the only thing they can do is to lean into the anti-woke story as much as they can. All this does is create a consensus around the story and strengthen it.
This is why, despite the fact that most Brits are becoming increasingly socially liberal, progressives feel like we live in a country of petty authoritarian racists. There is currently no node of power offering a persuasive progressive story about identity and class in the UK.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oops.

As someone said, there is always a tweet...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote: Tue 16 May, 2023 8:09 pm
We tested what the current progressive story is on class and identity and we found that not only did it not persuade anyone; a third of the people who heard it couldn't remember a single thing about it when we asked them seconds later. It's not working
What is the current progressive story on class & identity that 'we' tested? Serious question.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn