Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th June 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th June 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th June 2023

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Just a totally normal take, from totally normal person Toby Young
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good morning.

How it started.
BORIS JOHNSON: Lefties sneer. But those brave souls on the submarine died in a cause - pushing out the frontiers of human knowledge - that's typically British and that fills me with pride
How it's going
Stephen, Lancs, 18 hours ago

How is gawking at the wreck of the Titanic, pushing the boundaries of human knowledge?

Up - 9228
Down - 412
Other top-rated comments are similarly dismissive...

:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Well done those 'Mail readers ' !

Thread --
( CSTO washing hands ....)

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Pretty good on the history of Wagner and the links with the Russian state.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This is crazy, Wagner have taken a major Russian city, are brazenly shooting down military planes and helicopters, and are sauntering towards Moscow without any apparent resistance. What the hell are the Russian army doing? Has Putin already lost control? I guess we're about to find out.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

If he ever takes full control of Russia - and that's quite a big "if" even if Putin is toppled - Prigozhin might well make things worse rather than better.

Or, who knows, he might turn out to be their answer to Jerry Rawlings (who had a similarly unpromising background)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

You've got to wonder why Putin and those around him thought allowing a crazed psychopath to build a private army was a good idea. It's obvious they realised their mistake and were in the process of trying to rectify it but it was too late. Wagner were ordered to sign contracts with the Russian army by July 1'st bringing them under state control. Prigozhin was about to lose his troops. That's what all this is about, the rest is bullshit. There was no missile attack on Wagner troops by the Russian army, the video is clearly fake, and Wagner Telegram channels are claiming they've been planning this for weeks.

Putin backs push for mercenary groups to sign contracts despite Wagner's refusal

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/pu ... 023-06-13/
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sat 24 Jun, 2023 1:00 pm You've got to wonder why Putin and those around him thought allowing a crazed psychopath to build a private army was a good idea
Its the sort of thing that all-powerful dictators surrounded by "yes men" sycophants do.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Gapes is still a moron then?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Thread

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Reports coming in now that Lukashenko (Belarus) has been negotiating with Prigozhin and an agreement has been reached to stop the advance towards Moscow and de-escalate. Nothing from Wagner yet but apparently the advancing column has stopped.

Could be bullshit. We shall see.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

And it's over.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Luka was supposed to have flown to Turkey earlier? Your guess is as good as mine at this point.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So what happens to Prigozhin? Presumably he's been given assurances about his safety (for what they're worth) or he wouldn't have backed down and he seems to be claiming the integration of Wagner into the Russian army has been scrapped. Is Putin going to pretend it was all just some big misunderstanding? They occupied a city, shot down a bunch of planes and helicopters and marched on Moscow ffs. In anyone's books that's insurrection and treason. If Putin lets him get away with it he's going to look absolutely ridiculous.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Maybe most damaging for Putin is that Prigozhin telling the truth about why they invaded Ukraine could well be the first time most Russians have heard it.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

He's also demonstrated it's possible for a relatively small force to maraud through Russia and almost reach Moscow in a single day just by driving up the motorway.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... workers-do
The researchers predicted as much as 80% of the US workforce could see 10% or more of their tasks affected by LLMs. For 19% of workers, it could be half of their job or more – with higher-income roles affected most.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Putin - "What should we do with Prigozhin? He needs to be punished but I don't want to kill him just yet."

Lukashenko - "Why not banish him to some horrible shithole?"

Putin - "Of course! Belarus!"

Lukashenko - "Umm..."
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Hypotheses abound --
He is killed
He's allowed to escape to Africa and increase his empire there

Another which I haven't heard voiced that scares me is that he stays in Belarus and somehow brings them into the war
And so on !

To bed at 3 after some old-fashioned country hospitality ... so have only had a little Radio4 and a swift look at twitter --

-----------------------------------------------

Good Lord, it's on LauraK and he's not interrupted !

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Bloody hell it's hot. Despite everything flowering I'm still only seeing a fraction of the bees I'm used to seeing in the garden. The butterfly numbers plummeted last year and haven't recovered and now the bees have followed suit. I was hoping they might have been a bit late due to the wet Spring but it would appear not. They're just gone. And it's not just bumblebees, in areas which are usually covered in mining bee burrows there are barely any. Plants which previously would have been covered in bees from dawn 'til dusk are getting sporadic visitors. It's really worrying.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Belarus entering the war (on Russia's side especially) remains a non-starter.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sun 25 Jun, 2023 1:01 pm Bloody hell it's hot. Despite everything flowering I'm still only seeing a fraction of the bees I'm used to seeing in the garden. The butterfly numbers plummeted last year and haven't recovered and now the bees have followed suit. I was hoping they might have been a bit late due to the wet Spring but it would appear not. They're just gone. And it's not just bumblebees, in areas which are usually covered in mining bee burrows there are barely any. Plants which previously would have been covered in bees from dawn 'til dusk are getting sporadic visitors. It's really worrying.
Same here Sky, I've only seen one handful of bumble bees, butterflies only white ones hundreds of which are busy on the oilseed rape next door . There are hundreds of tiny wasps on the expanse of honeysuckle but very very few larger ones . I bought some flowering meadow seeds but don't know what else I can do. Will talk to my organic neighbour who surrounds me to 7/8ths.

30 here, back from the beach after a swift dip , kitchen still nice and cool at 24 !
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Interesting video on Ukraine & Crimea
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

There are indeed reports that Ukraine has used the "distractions" in Russia to make non-negligible advances.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote: Sun 25 Jun, 2023 1:51 pm Same here Sky, I've only seen one handful of bumble bees, butterflies only white ones hundreds of which are busy on the oilseed rape next door . There are hundreds of tiny wasps on the expanse of honeysuckle but very very few larger ones . I bought some flowering meadow seeds but don't know what else I can do. Will talk to my organic neighbour who surrounds me to 7/8ths.
Did you have a very wet spring over there? My only non-catastrophic theory is that the copious downpours might have flooded out and drowned a lot of the hibernating queens. Which could explain why the only species unaffected seem to be mason bees which would have been protected from it.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Remember when Labour were meant to represent working people?

They really are doing their level best to remove as many distinctions between themselves and the Tories.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So they say they will talk with workers, which the Tories decline to do.

There is no way they are going to budge on their "fiscal rules" before an election - many would say they shouldn't have made them and I would be minded to agree, but going back on them now would simply provide the Tories with ammunition to scare the voters at a time when they are totally floundering.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Oh, I can't be arsed. Labour really are the drizzling shits. They are proposing almost nothing for 'ordinary' people, but they're doing their best to prop up businesses and their donors.

Look at Starmer this weekend - he was lauded during his leadership campaign for saying he wouldn't interview with the Sun, but now he's swanning about at Murdoch's garden party. And don't even start with the "he has to work with these papers" bollocks. He appears to have no principles apart from the acquisition of power and crushing any left-ish faction of the party.

Wait, I forgot - his dad was a toolmaker and his mum a nurse. All is forgiven.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Just a reminder that one of the main reasons people give for being doubtful about voting Labour is that they might "do a Truss" if elected.

It really can't be overstated how that 50 days of misrule made lots of voters more risk-averse.

But carry on seeing politics in entirely simplistic, moralistic terms if you want. That has *always* been one of the left's main problem.

And why their opponents WIN far more often.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Just been to see Oh Jeremy Corbyn: the big lie
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And another thing - this place lost its you know what last week about an actually non-existent "Labour u-turn" (the North Sea licences one)

Right wing news outlet does a bit of ill-informed s*** stirring, and people who consider themselves above that fall for it hook line and sinker.

Not just that, but there was loads of stuff around then that Labour had abandoned its "pledge on universal free childcare" - there was never any such thing, as opposed to an article by Bridget Phillipson where she said it might be a good idea at some unspecified time in the future.

Even the Green New Deal stuff - which *was* an actual change - was delaying its introduction rather than dumping it as some claimed. That can at least be argued to be a consequence of the state of the country the Tories will bequeath to us.

OK then, rant over :)
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Sun 25 Jun, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

meanwhile:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

sorry AK - didn't see your post above first
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

No problem at all, I just hope you still read it ;)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I did read it!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

A Reform UK party advisor writes...

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Saying the quiet part out loud, rather.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

It's Sunday night and I had bugger all else to do so it's Nicolas Cage time again!

The Trust (2016)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3733774/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

You know what? This one was actually pretty good. Nicolas Cage is a Las Vegas cop who recruits fellow cop Elijah Wood to take part in the heist of a mysterious vault. It's a film of two halves. It starts out as a light hearted heist comedy which has some genuinely funny moments until about half way through when Cage shows his true colours. Without spoiling it let's just say he goes from charming funny Nic Cage to the psycho Nic Cage we all know and love and things take a turn for the worse. Cage and Elijah Wood are both good and have a convincing buddy thing going on until the above mentioned Cage transformation.

However what's best about it is it introduced me to the hippie warblings of Collie Ryan.

Collie Ryan is a student of Theosophy who privately pressed three records in 1973. This project was funded by her friends at New Age Farms carrot and fresh juice company in Lompoc, California, and the records were distributed at shows at the Sun and Earth Health Food Store and Restaurant in Santa Barbara.

She completely dropped off the grid shortly after these records were made and today lives with nature and works as an artist, painting mandalas on hubcaps.

On the Cageomoter I'd give it a solid 7/10 and have nothing snarky to say about it. It kept me happily entertained and began with a close up of boobs. What's not to like?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Sun 25 Jun, 2023 9:54 pm A Reform UK party advisor writes...
Fucking Hell, I didn't realise John Cleese had gone trans. To be fair she looks pretty good without the moustache.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I mean there's a lot of bad things you can say about London. It's the only place on Earth that's given me black snots for a start. Which let me tell you do not look tasty to an avid nose picker but I still tried them and they were gritty. I've walked through Bangkok in hideous smog and not got snots like that. This was in the Nineties back when you could just jump over the barriers at any tube station and travel the city for free. There were staff there but nobody gave a shit.

I miss those days, easily cutting through the fence to get into Glastonbury for free and watching The Orb.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Now there's fucking cameras everywhere so you can't get away with shit.

I worked for Co-op supermarket for two years in my late teens and all we did was steal. There was a compactor thing you threw anything into from the warehouse if it was damaged so we would pretend things had been damaged, throw the boxes in the compactor then sell the contents on the black market. My biggest sellers were razors because for some stupid reason men think more blades makes their dick bigger.

Anyway we got caught somehow and it was so serious they brought in the CID from Newcastle. I was interviewed by two fat headed clowns trying to scare me.

So I turned to my Union Rep. Which was only fair given as a Co-op employee I'd been paying for their services whether I liked it or not.

She asked me if I had stolen stuff from my employer and I lied. Of course not I said, who me? I would never do anything like that.

And she believed me and argued my case with my employers and the police.

She died a few months ago and last weekend when I was back home I made a point of dropping a bunch of flowers in what used to be her garden with a note. I hope whoever lives there now read it rather than dumping them straight in the bin.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I lived in London (Grove Park, southern end of Lewisham) for a while in 1998 and I am happy to say black snot appeared to have gone by then.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Mon 26 Jun, 2023 12:36 am I lived in London (Grove Park, southern end of Lewisham) for a while in 1998 and I am happy to say black snot appeared to have gone by then.
My other half at the time lived in Richmond and Twickenham. Daughter of a British army major. He was ok, completely round the bend as far as I could tell. Dealt with procurement and always seemed to be swimming in cash. Just saying.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Night night.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Who the fuck was studying Madame Blavatsky in the 1970's?