Saturday, 20th & Sunday, 21st December 2104

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday, 20th & Sunday, 21st December 2104

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Nah, Danczuk is doing it because he is a right wing opportunist and self publicist - he likes the attention, no question :twisted:
So does his wife. And don't forget Daczuk's Deli....I unfollowed him.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Good morning.

Yes, I know it's been done but . . .
Labour races into seven-point lead as ratings for Nigel Farage show sharp fall
Observer/Opinium poll puts Labour on 36%, with the Tories on 29% and Ukip down three points to 16%

(Guardian - my emphasis)
Well, that's Christmas sorted for me, then.
:rock: :rock: :rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm not feeling all that great today, friends. I saw yesterday's poll figures & read Kitty Jones. I'm content. I love you all. I'm going back to sleep now. I'll feel better tomorrow, I hope.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morning.

Yes, I know it's been done but . . .
Labour races into seven-point lead as ratings for Nigel Farage show sharp fall
Observer/Opinium poll puts Labour on 36%, with the Tories on 29% and Ukip down three points to 16%

(Guardian - my emphasis)
Well, that's Christmas sorted for me, then.
:rock: :rock: :rock:
Oh, yes! Me too! :rock:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Danczuk only has a small majority (about 800) and his Rochdale seat will be vulnerable to UKIP. I do hope he goes.
Morning all
That is a majority over the LibDems, who have imploded there even more spectacularly than the national average.

Its not vulnerable to UKIP either, really, it is a much more non-white seat than neighbouring Heywood/Middleton (if you are thinking that because of the by-election there)

Nah, Danczuk is doing it because he is a right wing opportunist and self publicist - he likes the attention, no question :twisted:
Glad to be wrong about majority! phew thanks :)
But I know the area well, and it is a bit ukippy, they are gaining ground there according to local (none political) people I speak to :(
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
He's now making a lame attempt to justify for Ukipper Kerry Smith using "Chinky"

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Anyone here heard of "Whitehall Edits"? It's a Channel 4 twitter account that picks up Wikipedia edits coming out of Whitehall. I picked up a retweet mentioning there's been some strange editing going on today and they're not wrong:

https://twitter.com/WhitehallEdits
Whitehall Edits.png
Whitehall Edits.png (119.13 KiB) Viewed 13536 times
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
He's now making a lame attempt to justify for Ukipper Kerry Smith using "Chinky"

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pah! and Pah! again.

He needs to take a walk and get lost for a very long time. We need respite from his constant self serving and publicising bleats.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:Anyone here heard of "Whitehall Edits"? It's a Channel 4 twitter account that picks up Wikipedia edits coming out of Whitehall. I picked up a retweet mentioning there's been some strange editing going on today and they're not wrong:

Whitehall Edits.png
Hadn't heard of that, thanks.

Re Danczuk, is that book of his more than cut and paste?

There's some very easy money for him in defecting to UKIP if he wants it. MEP next time, columns as "that proper Labour bloke who joined the working class party".
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory MP is told to stop pestering his constituents
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 38085.html
Most local newspapers actively drive for their MPs to spend less time in Westminster and more time engaging with their constituents, but one weekly paper in south London has taken the rare step of asking its Conservative MP to stop launching petitions and bothering voters...
Its protest began after Mr Barwell set up a petition to save a recycling centre, which the paper says is his fifth crusade in little more than a month. It notes that he is now more active on local issues than he has ever been since he was elected in May 2010. In a leading article, the local newspaper said last week: "Gavin, we get it, there's an election on."...
:lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Anyone here heard of "Whitehall Edits"? It's a Channel 4 twitter account that picks up Wikipedia edits coming out of Whitehall. I picked up a retweet mentioning there's been some strange editing going on today and they're not wrong:

Whitehall Edits.png
Hadn't heard of that, thanks.

Re Danczuk, is that book of his more than cut and paste?

There's some very easy money for him in defecting to UKIP if he wants it. MEP next time, columns as "that proper Labour bloke who joined the working class party".
I have no idea why Labour tolerate arses like him. Boot him out, if you have a small majority you would want him in the party anyway.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Whitehall Edits.png

Sounds interesting. I'll add that one. 8-)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ukip expels Thanet councillor Rozanne Duncan for "jaw dropping" comments made in TV programme, not yet broadcast
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news ... jaw-29019/
Ukip has expelled the Thanet councillor Rozanne Duncan from the party for comments she made in a TV interview.

The party declined to say what the comments were and the programme has not yet been broadcast.

However, party sources say that when they were brought to their attention, they had no hesitation in deciding she should be expelled for bringing the party into disrepute...
How many is that in the past week then?

Perhaps we need a Ukip gaffe and fired counter alongside the election countdown counter.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ukip expels Thanet councillor Rozanne Duncan for "jaw dropping" comments made in TV programme, not yet broadcast
Ukip has expelled the Thanet councillor Rozanne Duncan from the party for comments she made in a TV interview.

The party declined to say what the comments were and the programme has not yet been broadcast.

However, party sources say that when they were brought to their attention, they had no hesitation in deciding she should be expelled for bringing the party into disrepute...

Perhaps we need a Ukip gaffe and fired counter alongside the election countdown counter.
I just hope that all the people who are Eurosceptic, but otherwise decent, and who've been tinkering with the idea of voting UKIP, take note, and back off.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

It must have been a shocker if she's been expelled.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

It must have been a shocker if she's been expelled.
Possibly no worse than before, just that they're belatedly doing something about it.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sun 21 Dec, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

This sounds sinister.
'UKIP's chairman in Scotland Arthur Thackeray reveals party SPIES on opponents

Thackeray made the shock revelation that private eyes were hired during the Scottish independence referendum.'

Thackeray, a former security firm boss, said the party has recruited private investigation industry contacts to monitor anti-Ukip protest groups;

And to throw opponents off the scent, he revealed that “spotters” used to infiltrate anti-UKIP protest groups are being recruited from the Polish community - because it was felt they were the last people the mob would expect to be working for UKIP.

‘Decoy’ events have been set up by Ukip to take protesters away from the proper venues;

Thackeray himself said he went undercover himself at a Radical Independence Campaign event.''

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/Contentwat ... ts-4847929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Even more worrying is that it reports 'And Thackeray described UKIP’s network as “‘a very good i the activities will “most definitely” continue ahead of May’s General Election.

That doesn't sound like something a mainstream party should be doing.
Or am I just naive...have Labour, Lib Dems etc been doing stuff like that for years or have UKIP thought it up all by themselves ?

Seems a bit brown shirt-ish.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Anti-racists used to spy on the BNP from within, at great personal risk.

I don't know about spying on UKIP from within.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Philip Collins @PCollinsTimes · 15m 15 minutes ago
Theresa May announces scheme to bankrupt universities cunningly disguised as a lunatic immigration policy for people who aren't listening.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Re Arthur Thackeray (Ukip) -

This is from November of this year -
Top Ukip aide linked to race hate groups and has BOASTED of taking part in far-right demonstrations (Mirror)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... ce-4720146

There's more if you're in a "Googly" mood.
Last edited by refitman on Sun 21 Dec, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: quote fixed
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@refitman

Thank you!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Tim Farron reckons the Lib Dems prevented 4 million unemployed, I do wonder what life is like on the planet they inhabit?

ZHC, benefit sanctions, massive spike is self employed, doesn't exist and hasn't happened..
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Whitehall Edits.png
Looks like a hack to me, they updating a page every minute or so and starting from entries under "A" - wonder what else is happening from that computer, files being over written perhaps.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://www.libdemvoice.org/liberal-yout ... 43851.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Caron Lindsay cracks me up every time..

''We know people between 18-24 are more likely to switch to us''

Eh?!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:http://www.libdemvoice.org/liberal-yout ... 43851.html

Eh?!
That many have been true pre Year Zero (ie 2010) but a recent YouGov had them at 2% in that age group :lol:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 38085.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slightly embarrassing this, when local papers tell you enough is enough..
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 38085.html

Slightly embarrassing this, when local papers tell you enough is enough..
Yep.

Can't bear all the "look at me" stuff politicians do. It's what most of us would consider to be doing their job.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:

Whitehall Edits.png
Looks like a hack to me, they updating a page every minute or so and starting from entries under "A" - wonder what else is happening from that computer, files being over written perhaps.
It appears to have got to the end of the "A"s and stopped. Very curious. It makes no sense whatsoever, even as a hack! Previously someone in Whitehall was apparently updating lower league Scottish football scores every Monday, which I can see happening (though few bosses would be pleased!) but these updates are just nutty. Someone making some kind of point?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Eh?!
Someone in the campaign team has said. 'Let's pretend the last four and a half years didn't happen.'
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Another good read on the life of John Freeman, as others have said, what a life.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/po ... ace-enigma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:I'm not feeling all that great today, friends. I saw yesterday's poll figures & read Kitty Jones. I'm content. I love you all. I'm going back to sleep now. I'll feel better tomorrow, I hope.
Get well soon JA :) :hug:
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

ohsocynical wrote:

Eh?!
Someone in the campaign team has said. 'Let's pretend the last four and a half years didn't happen.'
Also known as the Dallas Strategy.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Eh?!
The idea of the strong base in North East Scotland is interesting too.

Not even favourites to retain Caithness.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I see that the Labour poll lead increase article has now disappeared from the Guardian's front page (so far as I can tell). I should have done a link to it when I had the chance so that I could keep going back to it for a quick bask. Bumboils.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Top bantz!

Look at those woeful early morning numbers. Basically nobody is using Johnson's cable car to commute.

letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Top bantz!

Look at those woeful early morning numbers. Basically nobody is using Johnson's cable car to commute.

There will be a flowery bridge to join it if Johnson has his way too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Yes - I saw that yesterday and had a hollow laugh. Let's hope that his water cannon (is the plural of cannon with an "s"? I tend to think not but I could be wrong) prove to be an equally good use of money, along with the flowery, bowery bridge thing. (Sounds utilitarian I know but, as we keep being told, times is 'ard.)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The bridge hopefully won't happen. Planning permission was dependent on TfL underwriting it.

Not even Johnson can promise that, surely?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 9h9 hours ago
Average of the 4 Sunday polls LAB 35.0% CON 30.8% UKIP 15.8% LDEM 6.5%
Here you go PF. I find this very reassuring - another one to see off the bumboils.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Montgomerie ن @montie · 8h 8 hours ago
Sayeeda Warsi off message again " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Sayeeda WarsiVerified account
‏@SayeedaWarsi
Thoughtful and timely piece by @DAlexanderMP The Government is stepping back from the issue of religious freedom - via @Telegraph
She's much better off message than on.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just talking about John Freeman with my other half, who remembers him more than I do because he is older than me.

Looked up the obituaries and the Guardian say 'His maiden speech, about the rebuilding of postwar Britain, moved Winston Churchill to tears.''

Will try and find it, and post a link.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

No luck with finding it yet. I can find his successor's but not his.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Iain Dale @IainDale · 3h 3 hours ago
New Blog by me: General Election Predictions 3: Suffolk: This is the third in a series of blogposts which will... http://bit.ly/13QUlmo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:

Yes - I saw that yesterday and had a hollow laugh. Let's hope that his water cannon (is the plural of cannon with an "s"? I tend to think not but I could be wrong) prove to be an equally good use of money, along with the flowery, bowery bridge thing. (Sounds utilitarian I know but, as we keep being told, times is 'ard.)
Now lets be positive. People can sit in the cable cars and watch the cannon water the greenery on the bridge
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

yahyah wrote:No luck with finding it yet. I can find his successor's but not his.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/comm ... 816_HOC_37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:
yahyah wrote:No luck with finding it yet. I can find his successor's but not his.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/comm ... 816_HOC_37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did you read the speech underneath John Freemans? Very apt too. Here's an extract:

Mr. Frederick Willey (Sunderland)

The heavy industries are the key to our industrial future. Unless the heavy industries are prosperous, Britain cannot be industrially prosperous. It is here that the tasks of converting industry from war to peace are the greatest. It may well be that in the solution of these, problems the same sustained effort, and perhaps even sacrifices, will be necessary that were necessary to ensure victory in war. It is in the heavy industries, too, that the toll of industrial disease and industrial injury is the greatest. I especially welcome, therefore, the provision in the Gracious Speech for a comprehensive insurance against industrial injury, and I hope that the prevention of disease and of injury in industry will receive serious consideration. Equally gratifying are the references to social insurance, and to a 76 national health programme. I earnestly hope that special attention will be given to the alleviation of the present hardships of so many of our aged and infirm people. I doubt whether any social problem has ever faced us of such magnitude and such desperate urgency as the present housing shortage which confronts the nation. I am confident that His Majesty's Ministers will spare neither effort, energy nor resources to accomplish a solution. Out of the ruins of our blitzed towns and cities, we must see arise new, beautiful and healthy towns, a worthy and fitting memorial to those who have fallen in the struggle that we might be free.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Burnham retweeted
Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 5m5 minutes ago
Where do you think Jeremy Hunt has disappeared to? Tweet your ideas with the hashtag #Hunt4Hunt....
That's quite a clever hashtag.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Summit to save jobs in oil industry announced by Aberdeen council
http://news.stv.tv/north/304335-aberdee ... -industry/
A summit which aims to bring together governments, trade unions and industry bodies to save jobs in Scotland's oil capital has been announced.

Jenny Laing, leader of Aberdeen City Council, has called on the Scottish and UK Governments to attend the summit on the North Sea oil industry which is struggling under plummeting oil prices.

Labour has pledged to send its leader Jim Murphy and has urged First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and Prime Minister David Cameron to attend...

A Scottish Government spokesman said: "The Scottish Government is continuing to do all that it can to support Scotland's oil and gas sector, including supporting innovation with a £10m investment in the Oil and Gas Innovation Council, through skills investment with Energy Skills Scotland and through company support provided by Scottish Enterprise and HIE which has seen international activity of Scottish supply chain companies grow to £10bn in 2012-13, an increase of 22% on the previous year.

"As we have long said, what the industry requires is a stable predictable fiscal regime, and that substantial tax incentives are needed to achieve the objective of maximising recovery.

"Unless the UK Government acts to bring in further measures, the likelihood is some fields will cease production early."
:?:
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Hello all - I've screwed up TE's orderly list by posting on poll so a quick note to hopefully sort it!
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!