Friday 7th July 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 7th July 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Friday 7th July 2023

Post by refitman »

Mercer being deranged
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I wondered if Mercer was drunk.

sky wrote:
The very same people Starmer called 'arrogant' (repeated by Mercer). I had to admire his guts given how supposedly unpopular Just Stop Oils' methods are
Am I alone in thinking that there's a substantial element of the population whose sympathy for JSO is likely to be increased by politicians calling them arrogant?

Arrogant to think their cause is more important than others? Well yes it is, and they seem to have gone to a certain amount of trouble to ensure the interruption of sporting events got max publicity but caused minimum damage.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I think I've found some more of those 'Brexit benefits' everyone was going on about
The draft legislation, according to 28 civil society organizations, would turn the UK into a "leaky valve" that would undermine the data protection rights of European citizens.

"If passed, the Bill would mean a wholesale deregulation of the UK data protection framework, allowing private companies to seek shelter in the UK to circumvent European data protection standards, and turning the UK into a 'test lab' for experimental and abusive uses of data," the groups said in an open letter to European lawmakers published Tuesday.
https://www.theregister.com/2023/07/06/ ... tion_bill/
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

refitman wrote: Fri 07 Jul, 2023 8:23 am
Any comment from Ed Balls yet?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Do you think Jacqui could have been any more condescending?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well this is strange because last night on QT Johnny Mercer claimed he hadn't been bothered by all the flak he'd been rightly taking and yet it would appear he had a tantrum about it in the green room before the show.

One source on BBC Question Time described Mercer as "livid" when he arrived and unable to talk about anything else while they waited in the green room before the show began.

The Question Time source said: "He [Mercer] spent most of the time in the green room whinging about Carol Vorderman."

But it seems that the attack on his wife and her pay via the taxpayer was what really annoyed him.

The source noted: "He said that he was very annoyed and that he had a thick hide, but he wasn’t happy about Vorders going after his wife!"

They added: "Fiona Bruce was very amused by it all."

After the show, the Question Time source said: "He [Mercer] really couldn't let it go. He was still complaining about [Vorderman] when he left."
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

When I woke up today I wondered whether Mercer's bizarre performance last night was as bad as I thought at the time as I was watching it through the distorting lens of a bottle of cheap Chilean red.

Now that I'm sober the answer to that would appear to be a resounding yes. The reviews are in and they are not kind.

Quite a lot of people saw him as one of the few half decent Tory MPs but over the last week the mask has slipped and his antics last night could be the final nail in the coffin of his reputation.

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Brian can be a proper shit stirrer 😅
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ha. Even the Spectator is putting the boot in!

Watch: Question Time audience member takes Johnny Mercer to task

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/wat ... r-to-task/
Following an evening of bullish debate, one member of the audience decided to take the veterans minister to task after Mercer complained about people voicing their anger on social media. Pulling him up on what he branded ‘collective bed-wetting’, she said:

"Given that a number of Conservatives and the Conservative party have shut down any form of meaningful protest, and he’s shouting across every member of this panel tonight, how else are we meant to get our point across other than on social media?"

Now that’s a mic drop!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tories are trying their utmost to turn the Uxbridge byelection into a single issue referendum on ULEZ, any sort of Labour win is good given that.

(no it isn't unpopular everywhere in the capital, but rather more so in outer London areas like this)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I see the SNP are offering a sensible, evidence driven approach to decriminalising and regulating drugs.

Which the Tories and Labour have dismissed out of hand.

Sigh.

Plus ça change.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'd be the first to admit I'm not massive on kids - but in a world that is increasingly awful this is one of the most obnoxious and profoundly depressing things I have seen:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... lum-centre
Robert Jenrick has cartoon murals painted over at children’s asylum centre
Paintings were considered too welcoming at Kent centre for lone children arriving in UK
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Contrary to some claims there's no evidence it is "popular" - even with those who support a hard line on asylum/immigration overall.

Its just Jenrick being an obnoxious dick because he can.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It's sickening.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Fri 07 Jul, 2023 3:01 pm Tories are trying their utmost to turn the Uxbridge byelection into a single issue referendum on ULEZ, any sort of Labour win is good given that.

(no it isn't unpopular everywhere in the capital, but rather more so in outer London areas like this)
Is ULEZ the thing introduced when Johnson was mayor?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Ah yes, but they don't like to talk about that.