Tuesday 23rd. December

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 23rd. December

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

From the FT
while the economy is recovering, households are still feeling the pinch and the UK remains a poorer country than before the recession on many metrics. GDP per head remains 1.8 per cent below the pre-crisis peak and net national disposable income, which represents the income for UK residents, remains 5.6 per cent below that period.
Indeed.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Spacedone wrote:Is it just me or have the Groan removed Beta from most of their website?
I don't think it's you. I noticed after a quick foray earlier that Beta was absent.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

StephenDolan wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:From the Groan

Those are some quite large revisions for the last 5 quarters. Revised down by 0.6% for Q2 2014?
Holy crap, how is Osborne going to spin his way out of that? Perhaps he'll take a nip of IDS bullshit juice. "I believe...."
Nah, he'll probably have a snort of la-la-land powder and it'll all go away.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I notice that the BBC News24 programme is sedulously avoiding mentioning George Osborne's long-term economic plan triumph. I had rather hoped that they were bucking up their ideas.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

PorFavor wrote:I notice that the BBC News24 programme is sedulously avoiding mentioning George Osborne's long-term economic plan triumph. I had rather hoped that they were bucking up their ideas.
Wow I've never heard that word before ;-)

You know that claim (ever dodgy) about the UK having the fastest growing economy in the G7 / West / major economies or whatever was closest to being true at the time? Well how's it looking?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 15m15 minutes ago
@Survation have got what looks like being the final poll of 2014 coming out tonight. And then we can rest!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh - the BBC have just mentioned it (GOLTEP) very fleetingly.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Important point being made on Twitter that the OBR's forecasts from the Autumn Statement will all need revising too, making it even less likely that Osborne can ever achieve his targets.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

citizenJA,

I think I followed a link from yesterday evening's thread. Or maybe I am confused by reading ever more infuriating articles one after another, as we are all obliged to do nowadays to 'keep up with politics'.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

:lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 13.21.01.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 13.21.01.png (59.92 KiB) Viewed 12436 times
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Grinning from ear to ear - Natalie Rowe just favoured our Tweet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

"You'd think with the rise of Ukip that immigrant-fearing Brits would be heading into Christmas and New Year with a renewed sense of optimism.

Apparently not in Hedge End though where they've taken to pleading with Santa."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/12 ... 71174.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:shock: :rofl:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 37s38 seconds ago
US Q3 GDP revised up to 5% (annualised) - significantly faster than the UK.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:I notice that the BBC News24 programme is sedulously avoiding mentioning George Osborne's long-term economic plan triumph. I had rather hoped that they were bucking up their ideas.
Wow I've never heard that word before ;-)

You know that claim (ever dodgy) about the UK having the fastest growing economy in the G7 / West / major economies or whatever was closest to being true at the time? Well how's it looking?
UK isn't the 'fastest growing advanced economy' - Australia has apparently taken that title. Though AU's economy is in the shit too - from 15 December 2014 -
Treasurer Joe Hockey said trying to make up lost revenue through new or higher taxes would ‘unquestionably harm the Australian economy’.

Australia’s budget deficit will be nearly $11bn higher than expected this financial year, largely as a result of lower-than-predicted revenue, while unemployment is forecast to rise to 6.5%.

The federal government’s mid-year economic and fiscal outlook (Myefo), released on Monday, predicts the 2014-15 deficit will be $40.4bn, significantly higher than the $29.8bn predicted in the budget seven months ago.

Total deficits for the coming four years have risen from a combined $60.3bn in the May forecasts to $103.9bn now.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... cted-myefo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageAnyone with a head on their shoulders operating with a triple digit IQ should be alarmed by the whole 'advanced economy' boondoggle. Humility. Genuine humility is required in these times. We'd all get so much farther with cooperative effort.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Good Tweet from Blanchflower
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 13.43.31.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 13.43.31.png (85.56 KiB) Viewed 12421 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

mikems wrote:citizenJA,

I think I followed a link from yesterday evening's thread. Or maybe I am confused by reading ever more infuriating articles one after another, as we are all obliged to do nowadays to 'keep up with politics'.
I know the feeling - please don't worry if it's not handy - I asked because your writing is precise & scathing. I wanted to know the inspiration for your post, nothing more. Please keep writing when you have the opportunity. I look forward to your posts.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Good Tweet from Blanchflower
Osborne is a failure. Osborne, you know who pays for your failure? Regular people. Everyone without an independent income pays for your failure, Osborne.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Good article here from the Telegraph on how UKIP's "it's all just a bit of banter" attitude curls up and dies when people start taking the piss out of them. Enjoyment increased by outraged Kippers BTL proving the very point the article makes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... icism.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Good afternoon.

Now is the moment, I feel, to wish everyone here (lurkers included) a Merry Christmas. Enjoy it, survive it, whatever. And stay safe and warm. (I'm not off anywhere - I just wanted to be in time to catch anyone who might be.)

I've just made one of my fairly paltry donations to Labour as a Christmas present to them. I look at it as paying an insurance premium! I expect Ed Miliband will be doing his usual low-profile Christmas stuff again this year. I wonder if DC will try some bad-taste stunt in an attempt to trump him. Or is he (DC) festively fuddled by now?
Do you know when you said, [DC] trying some bad taste stunt I had a sudden horrid picture of him being stuffed and served up instead of turkey. I saw a cartoon about it the other day and it must have stuck in my mind. :shock: :sick:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'd better add my good wishes too...Hope everyone has a peaceful day. And a safe journey to anyone travelling.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Thankyou citizenJA!

Precise and scathing is what I'm aiming at. Glad you enjoy it!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://www.theguardian.com/business/eco ... ne-no-plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

uk-current-account-deficit-osborne-no-plan

Larry Elliott
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tish wrote:Good article here from the Telegraph on how UKIP's "it's all just a bit of banter" attitude curls up and dies when people start taking the piss out of them. Enjoyment increased by outraged Kippers BTL proving the very point the article makes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... icism.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My 'favourite' BTL comment

Do you think the liblabcon will have a joint manifesto for the next election for the legalising of paedophelia.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Important point being made on Twitter that the OBR's forecasts from the Autumn Statement will all need revising too, making it even less likely that Osborne can ever achieve his targets.
Won't it also affect the EU money that our glorious leader was braying about recently?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 39177.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

david-blanchflower-heard-that-the-uks-the-fastestgrowing-economy-dont-you-believe-it
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

One down...

Charles Napier jailed for 13 years for child sex abuse

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30591158
Former teacher Charles Napier has been sentenced to 13 years in prison for sexually abusing 21 boys between 1967 and 1972.

Napier pleaded guilty to the offences at Southwark Crown Court in November.

He admitted 28 indecent assault charges and one indecency offence on a child. All his victims were under 16.

Napier was at one time treasurer of the Paedophile Information Exchange, a group which campaigned on behalf of paedophiles in the 1970s and 1980s.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

EU Mythbusters http://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/mythbusters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AngryAsWell wrote:EU Mythbusters http://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/mythbusters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ooh thanks for that, duly bookmarked.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 35s35 seconds ago
Small print of NI #Stormont deal is good save for 3 probs

1. Assets will be privatised
2. £114m fine is still due
3. £700m Redundancy Scheme
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

StephenDolan wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:EU Mythbusters http://www.richardcorbett.org.uk/mythbusters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ooh thanks for that, duly bookmarked.
Have put it in the files here as well :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

In case you haven't actually read the story in the Mail about the shortage of GP services ... here it is. And it is a shocker. They are not blaming immigration BTW. The first comment BTL nails it saying that the headline is wrong ... it's not the country that should be feeling shame, it's the government. Touche.
The queue that shames Britain: 7.11am and desperate patients wait in the cold and dark outside surgery - just so they can be seen by their GP
More than 30 patients queued outside The Sunbury Health Centre in Surrey
Originally designed for some 6,000 patients, it now serves nearly 19,000
Residents say extra demand is result of new housing developments in area
Patients say they face wait of up to two weeks for appointment with doctor
They say the only option is to queue in hope of seeing GP on same day
Scene is not unique as surgeries across UK are stretched to breaking point

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... en-GP.html
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

https://www.facebook.com/14406246245222 ... 712/?type=1

Posted on Facebook by an American. But will Tory voters take notice of stuff like this?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

[youtube]446v4UFhr0c[/youtube]
Don't Inhale
Quentin Sommerville BBC News Reporter Inhales Burning Drugs And Can't Finish Report
His giggle is like nothing I've heard before ... and very infectious. Apparently he posted this as a Christmas present to fans.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

So are we still above pre-crisis peak?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Another one in the eye for Grayling ...
Legal aid crime duty contracts process to be suspended
23 December 2014

Following an application for interim relief by the Criminal Law Solicitors' Association (CLSA) and London Criminal Courts Solicitors' Association (LCCSA), the legal aid crime duty contracts tender process will be suspended until the result of the judicial reviews by CLSA, LCCSA and the Law Society in January 2015.

Andrew Caplen, president of the Law Society said:

'We are pleased that Criminal Law Solicitors' Association and London Criminal Courts Solicitors' Association have won this relief and are happy to be supporting their approach.

'Our judicial review will be heard alongside theirs in January and we look forward to working together to support the profession.'

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/news/press ... suspended/
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

I see the Guardian has obliged rent-a-quote-gobby-bastard Simon Danczuk with another lifeline he so craves, the intoxicating oxygen of publicity!

My language is too flowery mind, so to be blunt, I couldn't give a rats arse if he voted out next May, the UKIP flirting before 2010 complete nonentity, fuck off and take your tit flashing wife with you..

:toss:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

On that note, everyone have a good Christmas, just incase I don't get another chance, nights tonight, and working most of the week, away on the weekend..

Have a good 'un, and let's endeavour to kick the bastards out next year!!

Hugs, and lots of love!! :hug:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:I see the Guardian has obliged rent-a-quote-gobby-bastard Simon Danczuk with another lifeline he so craves, the intoxicating oxygen of publicity!

My language is too flowery mind, so to be blunt, I couldn't give a rats arse if he voted out next May, the UKIP flirting before 2010 complete nonentity, fuck off and take your tit flashing wife with you..

:toss:
Yes. He had the cheek and the gall to say on BBC when his thick father said he'd probably vote UKIP, that there should be both left and right wing representation in any political party. No-one expects everyone to slavishly follow the same line, but UKIP for Christ's sake?

The BBC outdid itself. 'Twas all very chummy down t'pub. Which begs the question, why did they choose to feature Danczuk? I swear they're making mischief because of all the criticism about their favouring UKIP.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:On that note, everyone have a good Christmas, just incase I don't get another chance, nights tonight, and working most of the week, away on the weekend..

Have a good 'un, and let's endeavour to kick the bastards out next year!!

Hugs, and lots of love!! :hug:
:hug: :hug:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear, another article coming up for the Kippers to do their "What about Labour then?"

UKIP's Roger Bird to quit general secretary post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30592072
UKIP has cleared its general secretary Roger Bird after a sexual harassment allegation but says he will leave his post early by mutual consent.

Mr Bird had faced a disciplinary hearing over his relations with former party candidate Natasha Bolter.

In a statement, UKIP said it found "no evidence to support the allegation".

It added that Mr Bird, who had been suspended on full pay, would leave his job due to the "unfortunate publicity" surrounding Ms Bolter's complaint.
How peculiar - cleared and this had almost been forgotten about after the furore over that councillor and the App...so why would he quit anyway?

Can't help thinking there's more to it than that - those stories about candidate fixing haven't been answered.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

After David Cameron, the Conservative Party is stuffed
One of David Cameron’s great unacknowledged achievements is that he has managed – just – to keep the Conservative Party in one piece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... uffed.html
Yes - it's Hodges. His first para is his classic wet haddock in the face for Labour even if it flies against the latest data and most of the press.
David Cameron will have a relatively relaxed Christmas. The Prime Minister believes things are broadly going to plan. Labour’s poll lead has evaporated. The economy has turned at just the right time. Wage increases are outstripping inflation. There are signs that the Ukip bubble is finally starting to deflate. Ed Miliband is still leader of the Labour Party.
But thereafter - the article actually addresses the headline subject. He gives quite an interesting look at the strategies and positioning of the various leadership contenders.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

David Willets (Times paywall) has apparently told Theresa May she's talking rubbish about foreign students.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
One of David Cameron’s great unacknowledged achievements is that he has managed – just – to keep the Conservative Party in one piece

Yes - it's Hodges. His first para is his classic wet haddock in the face for Labour even if it flies against the latest data and most of the press.
David Cameron will have a relatively relaxed Christmas. The Prime Minister believes things are broadly going to plan. Labour’s poll lead has evaporated. The economy has turned at just the right time. Wage increases are outstripping inflation. There are signs that the Ukip bubble is finally starting to deflate. Ed Miliband is still leader of the Labour Party.
But thereafter - the article actually addresses the headline subject. He gives quite an interesting look at the strategies and positioning of the various leadership contenders.
Does Hodges actually read the newspapers? Or have any grasp on reality?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... ailed.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Co-founder of "Tory Madrasa" Young Britons Foundation jailed for fraud.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

diGriz wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Does Hodges actually read the newspapers? Or have any grasp on reality?
We don't know. Pure conjecture, of course - a prosaic theory is an early childhood illness coincided with a Labour party meeting hosted by his mum leaving him resentful of a political party he associates with stealing his mother when he was vulnerable.

'Labour stole my mum when I was sick', says the ill child within.

However, at this time, it's impossible to ascertain whether or not he has a grasp on reality. His published work suggests no. Without further information, it's premature to make a reality impaired judgement in this case.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Chris Smyth ‏@Smyth_Chris 18m18 minutes ago
Oliver Letwin drafted in to help NHS avoid A&E crisis this winter, @FT reports. What could possibly go wrong?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Chris Smyth ‏@Smyth_Chris 18m18 minutes ago
Oliver Letwin drafted in to help NHS avoid A&E crisis this winter, @FT reports. What could possibly go wrong?
Please tell me that's a joke Tubby?

Oliver 'Litter Lout' Letwin?

Oliver 'Stuff Your Private Details In A Public Rubbish Bin' Letwin?

Oliver 'Never Heard of a Shredder' Letwin?

Brought in to sort out real urgent stuff - requiring a keen grasp of priorities and proper processes?

It's Cameron's judgement all over again.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... ailed.html

From the Young Britons Foundation website
'Daily Dose of Thatcherism'

“If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.”
http://www.ybf.org.uk/

Good god

Conversely, introducing yourself, listening, cooperating & working with others in a team may lead to a wholesome world everyone finds worth living in.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... ailed.html

The Mail’s headline “Film producer who directed movie called 'How to Get Away With Murder' is jailed for masterminding £5million mortgage scam” last week might not have seemed too close to the world of politics. But the piece also noted Ben Pickering “had also been a prospective parliamentary candidate for the Conservative Party in Swansea, South Wales in 2000”.
Do you think he's affiliated to the famous 'How To ...' brand as promoted by Shapps / Green / Fox et al? Or picked up some handy tips on his 'how to ...' tactics at the very least?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Dugher ‏@MichaelDugherMP 53m53 minutes ago
I only wrap 1 present. I ran out of paper, left a big gap & taped my thumb. My eldest said "that's a 2 out of 10 - and I'm being generous"
Who says we don't have any ordinary people as MPs?