Tuesday 15th August 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 15th August 2023

Post by refitman »

Good morning.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 15th August 2023

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The usual good morefternoon greeting to anyone here.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I'm shocked I tell you
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Yes that wasn't exactly the BBC's finest moment for sure.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Speaking of "not finest moments", another stellar performance from Labour's bigot in chief
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I'm sure the former head of education at Stonewall, Wes Streeting, will be along any minute to set Duffield right? Right?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I mean she's not wrong though if you listen to what she says, she's not just singling out Stonewall and frankly the last thing I'd be wanting if I was desperate enough to ring 999 in an emergency is a discussion about my preferred pronoun, especially in a time sensitive situation.

Of course it's entirely possible this has been misrepresented and twisted to suit her agenda by Hartley-Brewer and Duffield is acting as her useful idiot but that would be a whole other kettle of fish.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 15 Aug, 2023 9:42 pm I mean she's not wrong though if you listen to what she says, she's not just singling out Stonewall and frankly the last thing I'd be wanting if I was desperate enough to ring 999 in an emergency is a discussion about my preferred pronoun, especially in a time sensitive situation.

Of course it's entirely possible this has been misrepresented and twisted to suit her agenda by Hartley-Brewer and Duffield is acting as her useful idiot but that would be a whole other kettle of fish.
It's a bullshit story. Emergency operators aren't going to begin their interaction with "what are your pronouns". They will just have been told that if someone expresses a preference, it might be polite to respect that. As this will probably help to keep people calm in a stressful situation, how can this be seen as a bad thing unless you're a hateful bigot?

This is literally a problem of trans and non-binary people simply existing and terfs shitting the bed over it.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Oh, Sky. I might have stumbled on a podcast you might like. 'Western Kabuki' started out as a Nick Cage film podcast and their first 7 episodes cover some of his films. After that, it becomes a general tech/social media leaning, current affairs podcast, but I've been really enjoying it.

https://westernkabuki.podbean.com/
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Tue 15 Aug, 2023 9:50 pm It's a bullshit story. Emergency operators aren't going to begin their interaction with "what are your pronouns". They will just have been told that if someone expresses a preference, it might be polite to respect that. As this will probably help to keep people calm in a stressful situation, how can this be seen as a bad thing unless you're a hateful bigot?

This is literally a problem of trans and non-binary people simply existing and terfs shitting the bed over it.
Yeah I thought it sounded like bollocks, and besides from what I've seen on those police and ambulance emergency shows so beloved of Channel 5 it's not the call handlers who need a lesson in polite respect, it's a significant chunk of the public.

I see Kemi Badenoch has banned all gender neutral toilets in new public buildings. On the one hand I deplore it as pitiful culture war bullshit, while on the other I find the profusion of unisex toilets in bars disturbing. Everywhere I go now these tiny bars have a single unisex toilet and as a man of a certain age who eats a lot of fibre it's a mortifying nightmare if there's no air freshener and you open the door to find a lady waiting to go in after you. So by all means have shared toilets as long as there's some kind of invisibility thing going on so nobody can know it was you who left that smell.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Tue 15 Aug, 2023 9:54 pm Oh, Sky. I might have stumbled on a podcast you might like. 'Western Kabuki' started out as a Nick Cage film podcast and their first 7 episodes cover some of his films. After that, it becomes a general tech/social media leaning, current affairs podcast, but I've been really enjoying it.

Thanks, bookmarked, I'll check it out.

I'm not much of a podcast listener, I tried a couple of true crime ones but they were too scripted and contrived, leading you to think one thing but then what's this? A twist? Well I never! And the factual ones seem to follow the same format, always a hook to get you to listen to the next one like those old serials from the 1940's. Then you've got the politics ones with people smugly agreeing with each other. If I wanted to listen to Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart offering insights any idiot could predict from either of their careers I would...I guess maybe kidnap them and lock them in a basement for a few days? Although then it would be too tempting to reveal myself as the kidnapper because I'd have to ask Rory why he thought writing a book and having a TV programme about the borders despite having been an MP there for 5 minutes and knowing bugger all wasn't an egotistical money spinner, and as for Campbell...

I must admit though I am tempted to find out who pooped on the floor at that wedding.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I was a fan of Big Black and Steve Albini when he was being a dick but this is a genuinely interesting piece about how being a contrarian smartass can backfire. You can write songs about child abuse, or rape, or ni**ers which ironically mean something else to the discerning ear, but what happens when you attract people too stupid to understand the irony?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... wrong-side

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 15 Aug, 2023 11:42 pm
refitman wrote: Tue 15 Aug, 2023 9:54 pm Oh, Sky. I might have stumbled on a podcast you might like. 'Western Kabuki' started out as a Nick Cage film podcast and their first 7 episodes cover some of his films. After that, it becomes a general tech/social media leaning, current affairs podcast, but I've been really enjoying it.

Thanks, bookmarked, I'll check it out.

I'm not much of a podcast listener, I tried a couple of true crime ones but they were too scripted and contrived, leading you to think one thing but then what's this? A twist? Well I never! And the factual ones seem to follow the same format, always a hook to get you to listen to the next one like those old serials from the 1940's. Then you've got the politics ones with people smugly agreeing with each other. If I wanted to listen to Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart offering insights any idiot could predict from either of their careers I would...I guess maybe kidnap them and lock them in a basement for a few days? Although then it would be too tempting to reveal myself as the kidnapper because I'd have to ask Rory why he thought writing a book and having a TV programme about the borders despite having been an MP there for 5 minutes and knowing bugger all wasn't an egotistical money spinner, and as for Campbell...

I must admit though I am tempted to find out who pooped on the floor at that wedding.
I listen to them mostly on lunch, at work. The main ones I listen to at the moment are:

*Trashfuture (also published on Youtube) - mostly about British politics, tech and society. Very leftist and has a good revolving cast, so there's always differnent voices.
*Masters of our Domain (MOOD) - a podcast about Seinfeld, featuring one of the members of TF (above)
*Kill James Bond - film review podcast, also featuring people from TF. They started with the Bond films, rating them on the SCUM scale (Smarm, Cultural insenstivity, Unprovoked violence and Misogyny). They have since branced out to other films, including the Cars series, Rambo and Bourne.
*Boonta Vista - Aussie podcast, poking fun at news headlines & stories from around the world
*The Worst of all Possible Worlds - "We are the first and only podcast bringing you weekly case studies in the pop culture of a dying empire." The review a cursed christian radio series called Whit's End and also talk about media from video games to musicals.
*Blood & Mud - a rugby podcast about rugby.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »