Christmas Day 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Re: Christmas Day 2014

Post by seeingclearly »

Hello, and Happy Christmas. I hope everyone here has had the simple pleasure we have had today. Thanks for being here, FTNers, and may all your (good) dreams come true. xxxx
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Francis Maude has written a letter to the Guardian saying that turning all NHS Trusts into mutuals is not in any way privatisation and that we shouldn't worry our pretty little heads.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Spacedone wrote:Francis Maude has written a letter to the Guardian saying that turning all NHS Trusts into mutuals is not in any way privatisation and that we shouldn't worry our pretty little heads.
Does he understand an NHS trust is a deliverer of state healthcare on a massive scale. Does he understand how utterly fucking stupid it would be to assign that task to - "a mutual".

What an arse.
Release the Guardvarks.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:Well, the Xmas Doctor Who special cleared up two things for me. Clara Oswald is staying, and I'm going. Time for Stephen Moffat to do one.
That is a little harsh, infinitely preferable to the Matt Smith years. Entertaining premise in its own way, and I loved the alien riff.

One of the better ones, if you must do Christmas specials. Admittedly Capaldi and Coleman are carrying the rather thin scripts, but the Russel T Davis approach of blowing up lots of random stuff at the end was every bit as dubious.

Personally I want to go back to three/four part stories to let them develop and breathe. However I am old and out of date.
I'm sorry to say that I disagree totally, though I am aware that I represent a minority opinion. I've hacked at a few things I found terrible about tonight's effort on my blog, but the final straw for me was the random reversal about bringing Clara back, in defiance of any semblance of psychological logic. We'll just have to agree to differ.
The truth ferret speaks!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

mbc1955 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:Well, the Xmas Doctor Who special cleared up two things for me. Clara Oswald is staying, and I'm going. Time for Stephen Moffat to do one.
That is a little harsh, infinitely preferable to the Matt Smith years. Entertaining premise in its own way, and I loved the alien riff.

One of the better ones, if you must do Christmas specials. Admittedly Capaldi and Coleman are carrying the rather thin scripts, but the Russel T Davis approach of blowing up lots of random stuff at the end was every bit as dubious.

Personally I want to go back to three/four part stories to let them develop and breathe. However I am old and out of date.
I'm sorry to say that I disagree totally, though I am aware that I represent a minority opinion. I've hacked at a few things I found terrible about tonight's effort on my blog, but the final straw for me was the random reversal about bringing Clara back, in defiance of any semblance of psychological logic. We'll just have to agree to differ.
Well I guess that there are people who like Coleman, and people who don't but there was nothing illogical or unreasonable about bringing her back. At least in the context of a story that didn't feel the need to do logic or reason. She works well alongside Capaldi and while I would prefer this version of Capaldi's doctor

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc

the fact it is sadly for kids rather rules it out.
Release the Guardvarks.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:You thought you wouldn't see any politics on here today, but you were wrong, Old Bean.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... protesters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Police are being accused of trying to muzzle protest movements as figures obtained by the Guardian reveal the widespread use of bail to ban hundreds of innocent people from attending lawful demonstrations.

The data shows that around 85% of those barred from protesting when bailed have not been subsequently charged with any crime. Civil liberties and protest groups accused police of dealing out their own justice and called for a change in the law.
Bet that lovable moptop guy who oversees our London police is making sure they don't take the piss. He was in a film made by some liberals criticizing Tony Blair's record on civil liberties. Freeborn Englishmen and all that.
According to the data, the Metropolitan police have banned around 500 people since 2008, with only around 15 ever charged.
What? I'm amazed.

Happy Christmas
Happy Xmas, Tubs (that's Tubs in a good sense, not the League of Gentlemen way), and thanks for the post. I've no doubt that the FibDems, Henry Porter and the Graun will all be protesting to their utmost regarding this issue of individual liberty (think bubble: none of them will give a fuck about it).

Welcome to what will be a dystopian future unles we get these fuckers out.

Xmas day update: she had far too many gifts (in my opinion) from Santa, mum and dad and grandpa and grandma. Far too many; I will need about 3 trips to her room to deposit them, and then the conversation with mum that will surely follow. I've received a Spitfire Mk IX cutaway t-shirt, which is ace, and an acer t-shirt wot I am wearing now; "Apostrophe Police : its a matter of principle"

(you have no idea just how difficult I found it to type "its" as opposed to "it's").

So Xmas is done; some Disney fascist shit is on which I refuse to watch, giving me, perforce, the opportunity to post to the (rare) like minds on FTN. Is it really coincindence that brought us all together? Interesting question.

Any road up, merry Xmas for the rest of the day and the Xmas period, and I hope to actually meet some of you in the new year.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Got stuck into a Cybernatter on LDV.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Spacedone wrote:Francis Maude has written a letter to the Guardian saying that turning all NHS Trusts into mutuals is not in any way privatisation and that we shouldn't worry our pretty little heads.
Of course because Tories are trustworthy around mutuals and wouldn't do anything to wreck that status by letting them be taken over. *cough* building societies *cough*
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:You thought you wouldn't see any politics on here today, but you were wrong, Old Bean.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... protesters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Police are being accused of trying to muzzle protest movements as figures obtained by the Guardian reveal the widespread use of bail to ban hundreds of innocent people from attending lawful demonstrations.

The data shows that around 85% of those barred from protesting when bailed have not been subsequently charged with any crime. Civil liberties and protest groups accused police of dealing out their own justice and called for a change in the law.
Bet that lovable moptop guy who oversees our London police is making sure they don't take the piss. He was in a film made by some liberals criticizing Tony Blair's record on civil liberties. Freeborn Englishmen and all that.
According to the data, the Metropolitan police have banned around 500 people since 2008, with only around 15 ever charged.
What? I'm amazed.

Happy Christmas
Happy Xmas, Tubs (that's Tubs in a good sense, not the League of Gentlemen way), and thanks for the post. I've no doubt that the FibDems, Henry Porter and the Graun will all be protesting to their utmost regarding this issue of individual liberty (think bubble: none of them will give a fuck about it).

Welcome to what will be a dystopian future unles we get these fuckers out.

Xmas day update: she had far too many gifts (in my opinion) from Santa, mum and dad and grandpa and grandma. Far too many; I will need about 3 trips to her room to deposit them, and then the conversation with mum that will surely follow. I've received a Spitfire Mk IX cutaway t-shirt, which is ace, and an acer t-shirt wot I am wearing now; "Apostrophe Police : its a matter of principle"

(you have no idea just how difficult I found it to type "its" as opposed to "it's").

So Xmas is done; some Disney fascist shit is on which I refuse to watch, giving me, perforce, the opportunity to post to the (rare) like minds on FTN. Is it really coincindence that brought us all together? Interesting question.

Any road up, merry Xmas for the rest of the day and the Xmas period, and I hope to actually meet some of you in the new year.
You'd like my, "I'm silently correcting your grammar T-shirt", then Ernst. :D
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Talking of Maude, he's been talking his David Brent stuff, I see.

http://www.themandarin.com.au/14649-pub ... er/?pgnc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mutuals. This is why you need them.
Maude (pictured), who is responsible for civil service reform, recounted a favourite story demonstrating the strengths of the freedom enjoyed by mutuals. A homeless man with leg ulcers needed hospital treatment, and would have ended up having the limb amputated if he didn’t receive care — but he wouldn’t go into hospital because his only companion was his dog, and he didn’t have the money to have the dog put into kennels. Maude recalled:

“So [mutual] Inclusion Healthcare wrote a cheque for £200 or whatever it cost to have the dog vaccinated and put into kennels. He went into hospital, had his ulcers treated, and he’s fine.

They just say: ‘if we’d still been in the NHS, we could never have done that without endless process, bureaucracy and auditing. Which budget does it come out of and how do we account for it? It would never have happened. But the result is a man with two legs instead of one, without being dependent on massive disability support for the rest of his life, not having had a very expensive amputation operation — and being happier.”
Yeah, I bet they said that. Actually I bet they didn't because that would imply they didn't know what auditing was. It happens afterwards.

You don't even know the money involved. Quite how you know the NHS couldn't have written a check for it, God only knows. And you're in charge of the NHS. If they really can't do it, change it. Easier than creating a load of mutuals.

So how common is this situation of people being disabled because they haven't got anyone to look after a dog?

And do we reckon that this chap who'd clearly got into quite a state is holding down a regular job?

Bullshit.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

A belated Merry Christmas from Yorkshire ;-)

Heavenly in the Pennines today. After kids present madness we had our traditional smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, bucks fizz brunch then headed out onto the hills with hound and neighbours. Stunning winter sunshine shimmering on the reservoirs and brief showers changing the mood. Back for a pint in our local and time to greet friends from the village. Shared cooking with next door made for a stress free dinner. Perfect.

Love to All at FTN, Paul xx
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Certainly preferable to Matt Smith and I'd like to see the return of continuing stories rather than everything being stand-alone. Not mad keen on Clara but I'll put up with her.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Hoping everyone has found joy and sated hearts, minds, and bellies this Yuletide. You have all become very dear to me ~ so thanks for the company, the friendship, and the brilliant conversations here in The Haven.

:hug: :rock:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...