Christmas Day 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Christmas Day 2014

Post by ephemerid »

Happy Christmas everyone!

I hope you all have a lovely day.

Insomnia strikes again, so I have been thinking about all the Christmases I worked (ten in succession with four of those on nights) and hoping that people working in our NHS and emergency services have a bit of time spare to take a break for a mince pie; and I'm grateful to all those who keep these services going 24/7 while nearly everyone else gets their day of celebration.

Here's to a better year - and a busy few months campaigning for a better government!
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Spacedone
Whip

Re: Christmas Day 2014

Post by Spacedone »

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope you all have wonderful days.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Merry Xmas Everyone. Speaking for those who have come down with grotty colds and heads that feel as thick as two short planks, have a very healthy Xmas!
The truth ferret speaks!
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Happy Christmas everyone. Have a fantastic day.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

My best wishes to all FTNers everywhere - may today be restful and peaceful ('cos it bleedin' won't at Remarx Towers!).

Catch you all later...
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Morning all, and all best wishes to everyone!
Santa brought me Dennis Skinner's autobiography & Harry's Last Stand, so I'll be able to avoid the seasonal dross on TV
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Happy Christmas to all the contributors at FTN, hope you all have a fantastic Christmas day eat drink and be merry Image
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Happy Christmas, you beautiful people :rock: !

Love,
JA
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Toby Latimer wrote:Happy Christmas to all the contributors at FTN, hope you all have a fantastic Christmas day eat drink and be merry Image
How come Toby has all the cool smileys? Santa didn't bring me virtual smileys.

Mr.Citizen is a real smiley.
I'm smiling too.

love one another
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

danesclose wrote:Morning all, and all best wishes to everyone!
Santa brought me Dennis Skinner's autobiography & Harry's Last Stand, so I'll be able to avoid the seasonal dross on TV

Happy Christmas daneclose and everybody else.I had intended to get Skinner's book signed by him in Chesterfield,unfortunately I couldn't but unbeknownst to me my parents did.Bawling my eyes out ,like a child here reading a signed christmas message from the Beast.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Merry Christmas to all. :hug:

Thanks eveyone for all the wonderful informative links posted this year. Hope you all have a fantastic day.
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Happy Christmas to all you left wing whingers sucking on the teat of the state - plus, in the festive spirit, any right wing lurkers draining said teat completely dry - and any closet Ukippers doing their feeding from it on the quiet in the corner.

The Riots household has been in full swing since 9am when our darling neighbours rang first thing to thank us for pushing their car up the track the other night. Shakes head.

Mr Riots has surpassed himself this year. Having agreed we wouldn't worry about presents on Christmas Day (I had to cancel his because of the crap delivery firm, remember) - he puts a bag full of presents for me on the kitchen table with a big grin and Merry Christmas Darling! He can never do this no presents until later thing. The card was the first sign ... Happy Christmas and a Preposterous New Year (after I misread out the message in a card from one of my clients and Mr Riots is not going to let me forget it.) The first present was a natty little black cap with led lights built in to the brim edge ... an Aldi special buy for the fishermen amongst us. Mr Riot's already has one of these priceless items which he wore throughout the anti badger cull protest shifts and which caused us much merriment as the stupid fucker kept inadvertently turning it on (it has a button on the side) without realising when we were stumbling around in dark fields ... flashing away like a bad Christmas light and completely giving the game away.

I was then on to a very nice scarf from our local woollen mill. Brilliant place in Drefach Felindre if anyone wants somewhere to visit when in west Wales (great for a rainy day) - lovely talks, displays and activities, woollen stuff, gifts and food. The next one was small and heavy - Mr Riots said to me 'it could be perfume'. ( :roll: ) I unwrapped and lo ... an empty spice jar I had put out for recycling yesterday. I start laughing. The next one was boxy ... and so it was, an empty Earl Grey tea box stuffed with newspaper. We're both laughing hard. The final present - Mr Riots said 'Now for the big one' - was a large white loaf Mr Riots bought by mistake yesterday. Now we're both pissing ourselves. I said to him 'I bet you had fun wrapping those'. He said he had - he'd taken the dogs up to our cabin at the top of the garden - had a beer and listened to Cajun music as he wrapped and giggled. Best presents I've had for the total fun factor.

We are off on a walk soon. I have chosen Carn Ingli - Mountain of the Angels. Should be fantastic views of sea and countryside.

Best wishes to you all wherever you are and however you are choosing to spend today.
Working on the wild side.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Anyone for a game of football? I think those guys across the way might be up for a game. Let's go and ask them - after all it is Christmas.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@ErnstRemarx as long as I am in goal.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

@Ernst - lovely to hear how you, Mrs Remarx and 'OurBundle' are getting along. Hope you all have a magical Christmas together ... great that 'OurBundle' is able to believe in magic and see the fantastic in everyday things ... and sounds like you are playing a very big part in that.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Merry Christmas all. Spending a morning catching up with all the radio progs I missed this week (last episodes of Cabin Pressure were brilliant, as ever, shall miss Gerti & her crew terribly), meeting up with friends for dinner later. Hope today brings you everything you might wish for .... peace on earth, goodwill to all men (and even goat munching under bridge dwellers) and, most importantly, a large white loaf! See you on the flip side. :dance:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Just time for a quick Happy Christmas all !! Off to get changed and ready for invasion of family

:dance: :dance:

:hug: :hug: :hug:
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Saw this sign on my way home last night :D
PC246366.JPG
PC246366.JPG (239.45 KiB) Viewed 17613 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

HindleA wrote:@ErnstRemarx as long as I am in goal.
I hope that goal isn't a misspelling!
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:@Ernst - lovely to hear how you, Mrs Remarx and 'OurBundle' are getting along. Hope you all have a magical Christmas together ... great that 'OurBundle' is able to believe in magic and see the fantastic in everyday things ... and sounds like you are playing a very big part in that.
She is - it is - I bet I'll be as crabby as **** by teatime. But, dinner's on and mayhem is ensured. So time to go and join in...!
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Happy Xmas all!
:clap: :dance: :hug:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

I hate you all - oh hang on that's the voices in my head.

Merry Christmas, and if anybody hasn't voted in the Groan awards they are closing just after midnight Saturday/Sunday.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

danesclose wrote:Morning all, and all best wishes to everyone!
Best wishes to you, my friend!

I'm reading Thomas-Symonds' bio of Aneurin Bevan's political life, emphasis mine - only fifty pages in. The author's introduction includes an observation Churchill's childhood was better documented than Bevan's. Thus far, the author's most compelling writing about Nye's life is when he compares the existing biographical accounts. It's amazing to me to realise I've read none of them in entirety; my knowledge about Bevan comes from his own writing or speaking (Hansard).

I'd considered the author needlessly defensive of young Bevan's couple years of unpaid employment.
It would be unfair to suggest Bevan was anything other than a hard worker.
But then realised, of course, some people suggested he wasn't.

Some people might wish Bevan hadn't used his talent, voice & time for the purposes of obtaining greater power for people without any. Given early twentieth-century Wales coal mine socio-economic dynamics, boss peoples & other assorted negligent rulers within the nation, it's a wonder he came out of any of it standing.

A few with money & power don't like sharing it. I wonder how many geniuses get nowhere with their ability because they're scrambling to survive. How many prodigies got snuffed out? We might have had an economy that didn't rely upon fossil fuels by now but that person died remembered only by those who'd loved them.

We're all connected; we get finer lives, all of us, through cooperative effort - carefully tending the lives of everyone.

I've spent about an hour over this post - my husband writes music; his work area is on the other side of the room from my desk. It's lovely to spend the day working, talking with him. We sell our time & labour in exchange for provisions, like most people. It's good to have some days to spend playing, talking, thinking, creating without watching the clock.

It's not especially cold here in Stoke today. The rain comes straight down in monsoon-like bursts. I see small flocks of birds flying in formation - they don't appear to dislike the rain bursts.

I've not looked at any news yet.

I just got a big bar of chocolate!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

xx
JA
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:I hate you all - oh hang on that's the voices in my head.

Merry Christmas, and if anybody hasn't voted in the Groan awards they are closing just after midnight Saturday/Sunday.
There's always one. And what a oner you are, TE, I love you.

Thank you for reminding me of my civic responsibilities. - the Groan awards vote - Am I on the FlyTheNest electoral register?

A totally unrelated question for you, TE, or anyone else who may know - what ever happened to the commentator with the handle something like JBentley who prosed beautifully always ending with the flourish -
I humbly ask!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

And if anyone is lonely, the lovely Sarah Millican is hosting the Christmas #joinin hashtag again.

As the Archbish is too poorly to deliver his sermon, and Charles' bad back kept him away from church this morning, I hope they get sent to Atos.
They will be cured - another Christmas miracle!

Show and I will be having our lunch soon - the best cheeses we could afford, a few Italian meats, and prize-winning pork pie with home-made pickles. washed down with copious quantities of tea.

We do this every year unless we have guests, and it's just lovely. Exactly what we want, no stress, and peace and goodwill on our little piece of earth. Just the job.

Have fun, everyone!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Just time for a quick Happy Christmas all !! Off to get changed and ready for invasion of family

:dance: :dance:

:hug: :hug: :hug:
You all are so good.

My life is happier with you all to talk/write with.

Happy day, indeed, my best Christmas yet!
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Show has now arrived in the front room correctly dressed for dinner!

Yes, it's the Hawaiian shirt with the parrot print, and jolly festive it is too.

Let the gorging commence!

Laters....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:And if anyone is lonely, the lovely Sarah Millican is hosting the Christmas #joinin hashtag again.

As the Archbish is too poorly to deliver his sermon, and Charles' bad back kept him away from church this morning, I hope they get sent to Atos.
They will be cured - another Christmas miracle!

Show and I will be having our lunch soon - the best cheeses we could afford, a few Italian meats, and prize-winning pork pie with home-made pickles. washed down with copious quantities of tea.

We do this every year unless we have guests, and it's just lovely. Exactly what we want, no stress, and peace and goodwill on our little piece of earth. Just the job.

Have fun, everyone!
Thank you, Ephemerid, you're a bright light & strong heart. I love you dearly. Wales is West of Stoke. I've got a compass & map. I'll pick up some rhubarb & bake you & Show a crumble. Unless the carrot cake-cream cheese frosting is your favourite. Anyway, you name it. No stress or worries, my friend, please know you're loved & remembered by me daily.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Ephemerid -
Yes, it's the Hawaiian shirt with the parrot print, and jolly festive it is too.
Oh, right on! It just doesn't get better than that, it doesn't indeed.

xx
JA
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.
I still believe in a town called Hope
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Happy Christmas to all!

With the other half at work, Christmas lunch was a "stick loads of bits - home made bread, turkey, smoked salmon, crackers, dips - on the table" and let the kids loose on it. Son's making turkey curry later and we''ll be back to normal tomorrow for Boxing Day...with BD lunch cold turkey, jacket potatoes. pickles...and Orient losing.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:I hate you all - oh hang on that's the voices in my head.

There's always one. And what a oner you are, TE, I love you.

Thank you for reminding me of my civic responsibilities. - the Groan awards vote - Am I on the FlyTheNest electoral register?

A totally unrelated question for you, TE, or anyone else who may know - what ever happened to the commentator with the handle something like JBentley who prosed beautifully always ending with the flourish -
I humbly ask!
I think he sometimes posts in the Indepndent.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A bit late, but Merry Christmas to all of you.
After a long spell awake in the wee small hours, I fell out of bed at nine, went to our sons at ten. Stayed a few hours and then had our lunch. Crashed out on the sofa and have just come around.

Mr Ohso has just patted me on the knee and said, I don't need to worry about cooking for the next few days. :roll:
After 52 years - 53 in January, there are times I still don't know whether to hit or kiss him. Confidentially it's the former but as it's Christmas I'm being generous.

Hope you all have a lovely day, and whilst I'm here, can I thank Dan once again for posting the 2015 election countdown. It gives me a frisson of excitement every time I see the days dropping away.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Back from our walk - fantastic sunshine, with pearly sea and amazing lush woodland and drop away fields. Pointer in her scarlet coat chittering away up in front - trusty mutt bringing up the rear.

Just been down to the greenhouse to tuck up the plants in fleece and mesh as the forecast is for minus 4 tonight.... Mr Riots is like a little kid - determined to believe it will be a snowy wonderland tomorrow. It won't be ... but if there's any chance of it having fallen on the high ground in the Preselis he'll be driving us up there tomorrow. How wonderful to have the excitement factor of a 6 year old at his age ....

Love hearing what others have been doing - and wearing - and eating. What a great place this is.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Christmas Day Caswell Bay Swansea.jpg
Christmas Day Caswell Bay Swansea.jpg (24.92 KiB) Viewed 17451 times
So luscious you could almost eat it, couldn't you?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

It's been clear blue skies today, and now the temperature is dropping. Hot water bottle tonight!
It's supposed to get even colder over the next few days but doubt we'll get snow here in the SE.

Stay warm everyone.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

You thought you wouldn't see any politics on here today, but you were wrong, Old Bean.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... protesters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Police are being accused of trying to muzzle protest movements as figures obtained by the Guardian reveal the widespread use of bail to ban hundreds of innocent people from attending lawful demonstrations.

The data shows that around 85% of those barred from protesting when bailed have not been subsequently charged with any crime. Civil liberties and protest groups accused police of dealing out their own justice and called for a change in the law.
Bet that lovable moptop guy who oversees our London police is making sure they don't take the piss. He was in a film made by some liberals criticizing Tony Blair's record on civil liberties. Freeborn Englishmen and all that.
According to the data, the Metropolitan police have banned around 500 people since 2008, with only around 15 ever charged.
What? I'm amazed.

Happy Christmas
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mrs Danczuk Christmas Sun Selfie.jpg
Mrs Danczuk Christmas Sun Selfie.jpg (28.56 KiB) Viewed 17435 times
Only one comment possible for this. Pass the extra large sick bag mother.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Time for change.jpg
Time for change.jpg (40.02 KiB) Viewed 17429 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lib Dem Voice Christmas Special
The polls in 2014: what they show with 133 days left til 7 May 2015
http://www.libdemvoice.org/the-polls-in ... 43909.html
Festive BTL of the year awarded to:
JohnTilley 24th Dec '14 - 2:30pm
RC
I agree with you when you say — ” Unless our leadership is able to articulate this vision clearly, not only will we not get these voters’ support but we have even less of a chance of winning back defectors to Labour, the Greens and even the Tories and UKIP.”

Either voters do not know what we stand for or, just as likely, they know exactly what Clegg and the Orange Gang stand for and that’s about as popular with the voters as a turkey dinner with a Botulism stuffing.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Caswell Bay is one of my favourite places, gorgeous, bit of a trek getting down there, an even bigger one getting back up..

But worth it, anytime of the year..
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Caswell Bay is one of my favourite places, gorgeous, bit of a trek getting down there, an even bigger one getting back up..

Very Happy Christmas to you letsskip. I don't know Caswell Bay - but it looks so wonderful I am going to persuade Mr Riots to take us (me and the dogs) there very soon.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Very Happy Christmas to you letsskip. I don't know Caswell Bay - but it looks so wonderful I am going to persuade Mr Riots to take us (me and the dogs) there very soon.
You have a good one too Rebecca, quiet evening here, which isn't bad.

Caswell is wonderful, if you make it let me know, your hounds can meet mine, Rhossili is also well worth taking in, less crowded than Caswell..
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

CityLink has gone under, John Moulton, arch capitalist who likes to opine rather pompously about the joys of free markets couldn't save it, what a surprise..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... apses.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And how shitty is it for this to happen today?

No wonder there are those who fear for the Royal Mail.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:CityLink has gone under, John Moulton, arch capitalist who likes to opine rather pompously about the joys of free markets couldn't save it, what a surprise..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... apses.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And how shitty is it for this to happen today?

No wonder there are those who fear for the Royal Mail.
Snap letsskip. We've just been eating our Christmas dinner and saying much the same ... what an awful day for such an announcement.

Bet Osborne doesn't give a monkeys ... and Cable, well nuff said - it doesn't really make any difference what he thinks or what his reaction is.

Yup - Royal Mail will be in trouble - and will be pleading for the condition of providing a universal delivery service to all areas to be lifted. And then rural deliveries will be savaged by all companies ... they just want the easy profit.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:

You have a good one too Rebecca, quiet evening here, which isn't bad.

Caswell is wonderful, if you make it let me know, your hounds can meet mine, Rhossili is also well worth taking in, less crowded than Caswell..

Rhossili is the best beach ever. Beautiful in the winter with Worms Head poking through the sea mist.....oooooh!

Good for surfing too (but I can't even think about that any more)

If we ever win the lottery, it's off to the Gower we go!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:Lib Dem Voice Christmas Special
The polls in 2014: what they show with 133 days left til 7 May 2015
http://www.libdemvoice.org/the-polls-in ... 43909.html
Festive BTL of the year awarded to:
JohnTilley 24th Dec '14 - 2:30pm
RC
I agree with you when you say — ” Unless our leadership is able to articulate this vision clearly, not only will we not get these voters’ support but we have even less of a chance of winning back defectors to Labour, the Greens and even the Tories and UKIP.”

Either voters do not know what we stand for or, just as likely, they know exactly what Clegg and the Orange Gang stand for and that’s about as popular with the voters as a turkey dinner with a Botulism stuffing.
There are a couple of quite good anti SNP rants as well. The oil price might have been mentioned...
Release the Guardvarks.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Well, the Xmas Doctor Who special cleared up two things for me. Clara Oswald is staying, and I'm going. Time for Stephen Moffat to do one.
The truth ferret speaks!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

mbc1955 wrote:Well, the Xmas Doctor Who special cleared up two things for me. Clara Oswald is staying, and I'm going. Time for Stephen Moffat to do one.
That is a little harsh, infinitely preferable to the Matt Smith years. Entertaining premise in its own way, and I loved the alien riff.

One of the better ones, if you must do Christmas specials. Admittedly Capaldi and Coleman are carrying the rather thin scripts, but the Russel T Davis approach of blowing up lots of random stuff at the end was every bit as dubious.

Personally I want to go back to three/four part stories to let them develop and breathe. However I am old and out of date.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:Well, the Xmas Doctor Who special cleared up two things for me. Clara Oswald is staying, and I'm going. Time for Stephen Moffat to do one.
That is a little harsh, infinitely preferable to the Matt Smith years. Entertaining premise in its own way, and I loved the alien riff.

One of the better ones, if you must do Christmas specials. Admittedly Capaldi and Coleman are carrying the rather thin scripts, but the Russel T Davis approach of blowing up lots of random stuff at the end was every bit as dubious.

Personally I want to go back to three/four part stories to let them develop and breathe. However I am old and out of date.
I thought it was ok. I was a little surprised that they started it by talking about Santa not being real. Some angry complaints to the BBC on their way most likely considering how young some of the viewers are... Not to mention the whole facehugger bit.

I totally agree with you about longer stories. I keep watching the old Doctor Who episodes that are being repeated on The Horror Channel on Sundays. In the time it takes for those to introduce the characters the modern DW would have already have defeated the Daleks.