Tuesday 12th September 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 12th September 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 12th September 2023

Post by frog222 »

Morning refit

The Children Commissioner, the Detestable De Souza will want to pay for this by increasing the fines on parents who resist sending their sick kids to school ? s/

Sarcasm apart , she is fucking useless .

Cath Noakes has been right all along --

On the uselessness front, I wonder if Phillipson knows what a Corsi-Rosenthal box is ?

It's Dirt cheap, DIY by any group of teachers and school parents and the Treasury would approve ?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote: Tue 12 Sep, 2023 8:29 am
It's Dirt cheap, DIY by any group of teachers and school parents and the Treasury would approve ?
Morning.

Seems like a no-brainer to us, but involves them admitting that, after all, something should be done.
Something that could have been done 2 years ago and could have prevented a great deal of illness.
They'd rather go on pretending.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

William Hague writing in the Times about potential cross-party agreement about the triple lock, controversial enough in itself but
In 1995, I was the pensions minister who took through parliament the equalisation of pension ages, giving 15 years’ notice that the women’s pension age would rise in slow stages between 2010 and 2020. It was a huge cut in future spending but essential to sustain the whole system. Opposite me for Labour was the late Donald Dewar, a brilliant debater. Over many weeks of arguments, he asked me hundreds of questions, but with a twinkle in his eye. It was clear that Labour would quietly accept this huge change. We both knew it had to happen and that doing it over a long period across parties was the only way.
Why would he want to go there? Idiot.

Obviously didn't think it was essential to tell women about it.

edit to add: that's the question Dewar should have been asking - how are you going to make sure women are aware of the change.
Last edited by gilsey on Tue 12 Sep, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Rayner says Labour would repeal Strikes Act within first 100 days in office
Blimey, an unequivocal commitment.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

There are opportunities for a few "quick wins" like that should Labour win the election, good to see they still recognise this despite the caution in some areas.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Worth a read, it's quite short.
But TL:DR
voters care more about the NHS than 'the debt' if they have to choose between them, which they do. Labour should highlight those treade-offs. Very few people care about the debt above and apart from all other considerations. Second, those voters who really do care about debt consolidation above all else are too few to matter for any meaningful electoral strategy and will likely vote conservative anyway.
My bold.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Its not really about "the debt" though (this at least is a welcome change from a decade ago)

I agree that Labour is seeking "credibility" with a certain constituency (rightly or wrongly) but also think that it is a bit more nebulous than that.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »